Kill to Eat Thread

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So this thread is for any hunters that want to share experiences or general information with each other.

Here is my questions, has anyone killed a feral hog for some eats? I have the urge to hunt a wild boar and have a ton of meat on hand. Any experiences, or reviews of the wild meat produced?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never hunted hog myself. All of my hunting has been deer, elk, antelope, bear, and bird.

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
I've hunted hogs before and the ones you want are 150-200 lbs. The meat has a different taste to it but I like it.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've hunted hogs before and the ones you want are 150-200 lbs. The meat has a different taste to it but I like it.
You saying rather than the larger swine? Gamier taste to the larger? Tougher?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never hunted hog myself. All of my hunting has been deer, elk, antelope, bear, and bird.
Elk is about the best meat I have killed to date. Elk just far outshines all above!

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
So this thread is for any hunters that want to share experiences or general information with each other.

Here is my questions, has anyone killed a feral hog for some eats? I have the urge to hunt a wild boar and have a ton of meat on hand. Any experiences, or reviews of the wild meat produced?
You have to kill a female or a very young male. The older males have a very bad taste/ smell. I only use wild hogs to mix with deer meat for sausage, I don't care for the them too much.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You have to kill a female or a very young male. The older males have a very bad taste/ smell. I only use wild hogs to mix with deer meat for sausage, I don't care for the them too much.
Don't care for feral swine in general?

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Don't care for feral swine in general?
Domestic pork is fine. I'm more scared of desease in wild hogs.

I guess if you're not in a swampy area it wouldn't be as critical.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Domestic pork is fine. I'm more scared of desease in wild hogs.
Ah, I can understand. To each their own. I personally am afraid more of our domestic food supply! :D

How about flavor though?

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Ah, I can understand. To each their own. I personally am afraid more of our domestic food supply! :D

How about flavor though?
Flavor of the female is good, a little gamey but not bad. Like I said though, adult males taste bad.

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
The younger smaller hogs just taste better.
The bigger or older the hog the taste starts to get bad.