What was the first gun you bought

airram479

Awards
  • Established
My firearm handling is minimal at best, minimal being me and dad out in the wilderness with some pop and coffee cans.

500-600$ is my max, which should be do-able from what i have been pulling up.

I am just trying to feel out what the bro's on AM like to fire, and why. One gun i have been checking is FNP, along with glock, springfield...sig's look nice, but are a little more on the pricier side.

I will be taking a basic certification to become more familiar with firearms before my purchase.

trumac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do you have a caliber in mind? What will you be doing with it? Personal defense? Just shooting at the range? If at all possible the best advice I can give is to go to a range that rents pistols for use at their range and shoot them and see what is most comfortable to shoot.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think, and I'm sure others will agree, that the type of firearm you are looking for is directly dependent on what you intend to use it for. They are a tool, not a toy, and not a fashion accessory - despite looking really dang cool. lol

Is it for protection? For target? For hunting? I'm assuming you're going for a handgun here, too - revolver or pistol? Do you want something that you can handle easily, or something to really pack a punch? If you are going to be using it for target, does the price of ammo cause any concern? Also, when looking at the frame size itself, consider the "fit" of a gun to your hand. I have big hands, and anything smaller than a large sized frame doesn't quite work for me.

For me, my ideal first gun was what I went with:

Taurus PT-99 (9mm)

9mm, adjustable rear sites. Replaced the stock grips with Hogue rubber and that's it. I've shot a few thousand rounds out of it and never had any problems. It has an internal locking mechanism with a special key - something important to me because at the time I planned to have kids, and now I have a 2 yr old daughter. Some call it a "Beretta Knock-off", but like I said, no problems with it. It's ergonomic and does the job. Bought it during the Clinton era so it came with a 10rd clip. Bought an aftermarket 15rd one for it, too. I've done a timed "fire for your life" run, all rounds + mag change, in about 4 seconds. Sure, I may not have hit anything, but I'm sure that if you have 25 rds coming at you that fast, any adversary isn't going to have dry pants for very long.

Why 9mm? Why not larger? A well-placed shot counts, no matter what caliber. If you take the time to learn to shoot it well, and in different situations (eg, advancing on a target, backing away in defense, etc), you don't necessarily need to be blowin huge holes. Also, in defense of the 9mm, ammo is a lot less pricey than that of a 40 or 45. If you want a bigger hole, buy a better bullet.

Price when I bought it: $450

trumac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
By the way, definitely a great idea taking a basic safety course at the least.

laserbluess

Awards
  • Established
i bought a used glock 23 (40 cal) back in august when i moved to a sketchy area while in college. i just take it to the range and also have it for personal safety as well. its a really fun gun to shoot, but it is not the most accurate. then again, im not the best shot lol.

if i had to do it over again i would probably go with a 9mm just because i like shooting so much and bullets are too expensive right now. my next gun will be a 1911 but that wont be for quite some time.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The first gun I bought I wasn't even in my teens yet and it was a single shot 20 gauge shot gun.

What are you looking for. If in the wilderness then get you a rifle or a shotgun, if just for fun, a handgun... what are you looking for?

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
I only go .45 cal. Shot placement is great - but the fact is ... at close range under combat situations ... there is so much adrenaline that the pinpoint accuracy of the range goes bye-bye. Sanford Strong studied this in his book "Strong On Defense".

According to Sanford Strong, retired San Diego police SWAT team instructor and author of “Strong on Defense,” police officers miss with 75 percent of close-range shots while criminals miss with 96 percent of close-range shots. And a moving target is even more difficult to hit.

Based on this - if you're the one doing the shooting for defensive reasons - you're going to be lucky to hit - and if you do hit - you want a round that is significant enough to STOP.

Which is why I go .45. I have an Colt 1991-A1 and a Taurus compact semi-auto ... both .45 ACP.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Psh.... That's a 9mm real manly. My chick has one

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
First pistol 13 years ago was a Glock 19 (9mm) and I've owned many Glock's since. My favorite, and the one that sits on my nightstand is a Glock 22 (.40cal).

airram479

Awards
  • Established
Range shooting & Personal defense. 9mm is what i am thinking for know.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this is your best choice for that (potentially in a different barrel length if you'd like)

357 magnum, will stop a bear. no hammer, it cant snag on anything. Not a semiauto so if one round is bad, you pull the trigger again to fire the next one instead of ****ing with it. It can't jam. You can fire 38 special through it to have a cheaper round at the range.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I own a Kimber M1911 (.45 acp) as my shooting gun (BEAUTIFUL gun); I have a "Judge" for my home defense weapon.

As already stated, it all depends on what you want to use it for.

-John

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
this is your best choice for that (potentially in a different barrel length if you'd like)

357 magnum, will stop a bear. no hammer, it cant snag on anything. Not a semiauto so if one round is bad, you pull the trigger again to fire the next one instead of ****ing with it. It can't jam. You can fire 38 special through it to have a cheaper round at the range.
That's my second one, exactly that one. Technically, I bought it for my wife, but she doesn't ever carry it.

amateurfreak

Awards
colt .45 1911, it was standard issue us military all those years for a reason

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Lotsa good advice has already been given, all Im gonna do is ask, have you considered a shot gun?

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
Mine is a glock 22 (40 cal) Got it when I was living downtown Atlanta and got paranoid. I traded $500 cash for it.

Ironically, I still haven't got any bullets. Ill have to use some impressive verbals threats with it if needed. :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lotsa good advice has already been given, all Im gonna do is ask, have you considered a shot gun?

I could go on all day why it's not an ideal home weapon, but it certainly has its place. I'll take my "Judge" anyday. ;)

In the home environment, it easy to leave yourself vulnerable to having it taken from you in close quarters. A handgun that can deliver the same power while kept close to your body is a better bet in home defense (i.e, the Judge.) Otherwise, a shotgun is a fun weapon.

-John

rayactr2k6

rayactr2k6

Awards
I could go on all day why it's not an ideal home weapon, but it certainly has its place. I'll take my "Judge" anyday. ;)

In the home environment, it easy to leave yourself vulnerable to having it taken from you in close quarters. A handgun that can deliver the same power while kept close to your body is a better bet in home defense (i.e, the Judge.) Otherwise, a shotgun is a fun weapon.

-John
I got a mossberg 12 gauge. only cost 130 bucks at a pawn shop. I don't even need ammo with this thing, if anyone hears me caulk it they'll be long gone before i have a chance to shoot anyway

trumac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I got a mossberg 12 gauge. only cost 130 bucks at a pawn shop. I don't even need ammo with this thing, if anyone hears me caulk it they'll be long gone before i have a chance to shoot anyway
I can't even begin to tell you how dangerous it would be to actually rely on simply racking it to scare away an intruder. I hope you are just exaggerating...

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
My first gun to purchase was a .308 by Weatherby. I use it for hunting and shooting at the range. This rifle is just my cup of tea. Large enough to knock any animal in TX to the ground and extremely accurate.

If you want a gun for the range and personal defense stay the hell away from a 9mm. 9mm's shoot at such high velocities that you will likely shoot through your target, not knock him down. I would go with a .40cal and stay away from Glocks the safety sucks and you will likely shoot yourself. Also make sure you are buying a pistol that isn't too heavy for you. It's very important to be comfortable when learning to shoot. BTW for the range wear good ear protection!

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I own a High-Point .380, and a High Point 40 caliber. High Point is inexpensive, American made, and guns have a lifetime warranty.

You don't have to spend an arm-and-a-leg on your first firearm. Its not the gun that puts the end to a situation, its the trajectory the bullet.

Get your CWP for at least the training, and teach yourself to shoot.

airram479

Awards
  • Established

LOL. I think i almost spit my drink out! Yes, i have, and is on the list. Appreciate the advice given by everyone. I think i need to find a local range that rents out, that way i can determine what suits me best.

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
The FNP or the FNX (newer version of FNP) are great guns. I owned a FNP9 for a few years. I fired everything from winchester whitebox to ranger SXTs +p+ whithout any issues.

Fabrique Nationale producues the majority of the USA's small arms (M2, M249, M240, even M16's/M4's, etc.) They have had a strong relationship with browning for over 100 years and they service all of FNH's new firearms.

Best bang for the buck next to a used Glock, IMO.

I sold it and bought a FN FiveSeven.

www.fnforum.net

Are you planning on carrying concealed?

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
As others have stated, you'll want to determine what your going to use the weapon system for:

Home defense, range toy, personal defense, concealed carry, etc, etc...

That will narrow down the choices a bit.

If your not comfortable with firearms you might think about a revolver or a stryker fire weapon system (glock, XD M&P, no external hammer, no external safety)

The FNP(X) will be double action/single action and it may or may not have a external safety (depending on model)

I would reccomend buying something that is being used in a military/police contract by NATO forces for obvious reasons.

Here are some examples:
Any gock (except a 10mm)
SW M&P
HK USP, p2000, p30
Beretta M9 (although I dont like these personally)

or
Springfield XD
FNH FNX

All of those should fall in your price range (some used)

Take a look at Magpuls DVD "The art of the tactical handgun" It is hands down the best instructional dvd ever.

NattyT

NattyT

Awards
  • Established
I own a kimber super carry pro 1911 45 with crimson trace laser and a smith and wesson m&p 40 with a crimson trace laser grip, both excellent weapons, also have a ar15 smith& wesson tatical, but I haven't been able to shoot the ar yet.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
The FNP or the FNX (newer version of FNP) are great guns. I owned a FNP9 for a few years. I fired everything from winchester whitebox to ranger SXTs +p+ whithout any issues.

Fabrique Nationale producues the majority of the USA's small arms (M2, M249, M240, even M16's/M4's, etc.) They have had a strong relationship with browning for over 100 years and they service all of FNH's new firearms.

Best bang for the buck next to a used Glock, IMO.

I sold it and bought a FN FiveSeven.

www.fnforum.net

Are you planning on carrying concealed?

If i can get a permit, yes. However, i would like to be a responsible citizen by doing some basic training with a firearm first. From what i understand as of late Colorado is getting stringent with CCW's.

rayactr2k6

rayactr2k6

Awards
I can't even begin to tell you how dangerous it would be to actually rely on simply racking it to scare away an intruder. I hope you are just exaggerating...
lol i do have shells, i just dont keep it loaded cuz i dont have a gun safe and i have dogs running around my house, dont want them to knock it over and have it go off.

regardless of whether its loaded or not, if I were an intruder and i heard that sound, i wouldn't stick around long enough to see if it were loaded

trumac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
lol i do have shells, i just dont keep it loaded cuz i dont have a gun safe and i have dogs running around my house, dont want them to knock it over and have it go off.

regardless of whether its loaded or not, if I were an intruder and i heard that sound, i wouldn't stick around long enough to see if it were loaded
I can tell you from experience that not all criminals share your sentiments. But I would rather see the gun safe and unloaded rather than have someone get hurt because it's lying around. Do you keep the tube loaded and an empty chamber or is it completely unloaded?

Fatpat1125

Awards
Sig saur 226 9mm was my first gun and it was pretty good. Now I carry a glock 30sf and it's okay.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I own a kimber super carry pro 1911 45 with crimson trace laser and a smith and wesson m&p 40 with a crimson trace laser grip, both excellent weapons, also have a ar15 smith& wesson tatical, but I haven't been able to shoot the ar yet.
A man after my own heart. The kimber 1911 .45 is one hell of a gun. I absolutely LOVE mine. Excellent craftmanship all around.

Anything that's hit with that ain't getting up again.

-John

rayactr2k6

rayactr2k6

Awards
I can tell you from experience that not all criminals share your sentiments. But I would rather see the gun safe and unloaded rather than have someone get hurt because it's lying around. Do you keep the tube loaded and an empty chamber or is it completely unloaded?
completely unloaded. I have the shells within arms length of the shotty so if I had enough of a heads up to know i need a gun, id have that extra couple seconds to load a couple shells.

I also have a handmade carbon steel, battle ready katana in case i want to keep things silent lol

I want to get a handgun, i just dont have the cash right now. I want a .45 1911, probably H&K, i saw one for like 750 at the range and i heard H&K is much more reliable. If i had a handun i wouldnt mind having it loaded cuz i can keep that in a drawer, cant do that with a shotty

trumac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
could always leave the tube full and just rack q round in when needed. You could always look at used handguns, there are deals to be had. just find one in good used condition and you can save a ton.

completely unloaded. I have the shells within arms length of the shotty so if I had enough of a heads up to know i need a gun, id have that extra couple seconds to load a couple shells.

I also have a handmade carbon steel, battle ready katana in case i want to keep things silent lol

I want to get a handgun, i just dont have the cash right now. I want a .45 1911, probably H&K, i saw one for like 750 at the range and i heard H&K is much more reliable. If i had a handun i wouldnt mind having it loaded cuz i can keep that in a drawer, cant do that with a shotty

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
G L O C K !!! Go to a range that you can rent them and find a cailber and size that works well for you.

FubarFit

Awards
I've got a savage model 99 .308 winchester for hunting. I want this for home defense and sickness.

S&W Governor .410 / .45 Shotgun Revolver
S&W has introduced a .410 chambered revolver with a light scandium frame called "The Governor" (urrgghhh ... a governor is more important than a judge, right?) . The Taurus Judge has been selling so well I am surprised it took so long for another company to copy the concept.

Unlike the Judge, it can take .45 ACP in addition to the .45 Long Colt and .410.

It comes in a laser (crimson trace) and non-laser version. The MSRP is $679 for the non-laser model

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
Never bought a gun, but i've stolen a .20 gauge shotty from this kid i knew and sold it for $20 lol so immature

daave

Awards
i have a Springfield XD9 and im lookn at a Springfield XD9 subcompact to carry. I own others but this is one of my favorites.

I have the XD40... i love the gun, but the profile is so damn wide. its not the easiest gun to conceal carry due to the thickness of it. it doesnt help that im 185lbs on a 5'9" frame, so anything that pokes out from my body looks suspicious.

One word of advice... (IMO) dont buy keltec. i just sold mine. they "worK" but its way to easy to limp wrist it and jam a round. if you are shooting in a self defense scenario, you wont have the time to lock your arms and take the perfect stance. I had the pf9 and its too much caliber for a pocket gun. id rather spend another $250 and get something thats flawless. ive heard better things about their .380's, but Im no longer a fan of bargain guns.

my first gun was a Ruger P90. my buddy was trading it in for a H&K .40 and the store was going to give him $250 on a trade in, so i just gave him the cash. Great gun.. i keep it next to the bed. too big for me to conceal though.

trumac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have the XD40... i love the gun, but the profile is so damn wide. its not the easiest gun to conceal carry due to the thickness of it. it doesnt help that im 185lbs on a 5'9" frame, so anything that pokes out from my body looks suspicious.

One word of advice... (IMO) dont buy keltec. i just sold mine. they "worK" but its way to easy to limp wrist it and jam a round. if you are shooting in a self defense scenario, you wont have the time to lock your arms and take the perfect stance. I had the pf9 and its too much caliber for a pocket gun. id rather spend another $250 and get something thats flawless. ive heard better things about their .380's, but Im no longer a fan of bargain guns.

my first gun was a Ruger P90. my buddy was trading it in for a H&K .40 and the store was going to give him $250 on a trade in, so i just gave him the cash. Great gun.. i keep it next to the bed. too big for me to conceal though.
My PF9 works just fine. I absolutely hate shooting it, but it works and is super easy to conceal. Definitely can find something better to spend your money on tho, the trigger reset is absurd.

daave

Awards
My PF9 works just fine. I absolutely hate shooting it, but it works and is super easy to conceal. Definitely can find something better to spend your money on tho, the trigger reset is absurd.
i found the cheap winchester ammo works best.. i tried a box of speer gold dot, and it would stovepipe on 90% of rounds. even with winchester, i would still stovepipe unless i had my wrists locked completely. imo thats not realistic if you are being shot at bc there is a good chance you will shoot 1 handed while trying to retreat. my next gun will prob be a hammerless revolver or pocket 380. rugers lcr and LCP look good.. but a few hundred more can get a more reliable brand. im sitting on the cash until i see a good deal from a private seller.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
The one in my avvie!!! Then the scope, then the mount!!

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Since we're posting pics now, here's my "home defense" tools. These are the badboys I have lying around the house. I'm too lazy to get into the safe to pull out the rifles right now.

-Glock 22
-Springfield Armory XD-M 40 (match grade barrel)
-Mossberg 590 Combat (ext 9-round mag, 4-round speedfeed stock, 6-round side saddle, ghost ring sights)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought I'd share a pic of my newest toy. I picked it up last weekend at a gun show. This thing is freakin' beautiful and an absolute beast; I really like the crimson trace laser digital camo grips it came stock with. Even though many Kimber models are fairly expensive, you certainly get what you pay for with the craftmanship; it's tough to beat the quality of a Kimber, imo.

Kimber Custom Pro Covert 2 (5" barrel/chambered for .45 ACP):

-John

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My first gun I ever purchased was a Mossberg 12 Gauge Shotgun. I remember being thrilled as hell. :D

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
My first was a Taurus Mill Pro PT 145. Bought off a buddy of mine. Was so good I bought another Taurus OSS 9mm. Then I got a Bersa Thunder 22 for my wife to learn on. My latest was a Taurus 327 fed magnum revolver snubbie.

tattoopierced1

Mossberg 500 Tactical 12ga. Easy to maneuver around corners in your home, and I believe, one of the best home defense weapons out there.