Lesson to be learned

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I took my vehicle into a "bargain" shop to have the oil changed on Sunday. The only reason i went was because they were offering a 20 special. This should have been an indicator telling me to run away, but my wallet wouldn't let me.

I had a funny feeling about these dudes because they looked like convicts, and crack-heads, but as stated above: my wallet was beckoning me to stay for the bargain.

Last night as i was leaving for work i noticed a size-able oil leak coming from underneath my vehicle--enough to raise a serious concern. I took it into the dealer this morning, told them the problem, and then the shop manager pulls me into the bay with the mechanic to show me the issue.....they didn't tighten down the drain-plug for the oil-pan.

I am just counting my lucky stars right now because the shop manager, mechanic, and myself included could not believe that i drove 200 miles since Sunday with the drain-plug hanging like that.

Stay away from the "bargain" shops!!

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Yup - if you want it doing right - do it yourself.

I've heard that women like nothing more than a well muscled man coated in a thin film of engine grime :bigok:

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used to get mine done at Walmart. Oil change was a decent price, done in an hour, and I could shop to kill the time. Then they started showing me signs of their idiocy - not putting the filler cap back on, only for me to find it sitting on the engine about a week later. When I asked them to double check the tranny fluid in a car I used to have, they did in front of me, said it was low, and I had to mention to them that it was in the package for them to check and fill all fluids. They're washer fluid is junk - bubbles up like there's soap in it. All this, and they use Fram oil filters - the worst out there, pretty much.

Nowadays I go to Sears. $50-$55 for the same service, using synthetic, and they actually take the time to do it right.

By all means, if you can do it yourself, do it. The biggest bish is getting under your average car nowadays. I did it on my truck and my Jeep, but can't even get the ramps under the Saab to get it high enough off the ground to get my arm underneath. (Though, I do the bike myself every year!) Check Advanced Auto for special oil change package deals. You can get a decent set with a Purolator filter for like $20. A little elbow grease and some man-stains later, and you're satisfied with the work and the ol' lady is ready to scrub you down. ;) :D

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I would do it myself, i just don't have the tools. My HOA does not like people doing automotive repairs as well.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
HOA = G.A.Y. Sorry, I just don't get it...

Tools involved would include a pan to catch the oil, oil filter or strap wrench, socket or wrench the size of the drain plug, and something to get your car off the ground. For that one, you could park over a ditch! Everything else can be found just about anywhere. I recommend the drain pans that are catch basins and store the oil inside until you can dispose of it (free 5 gall/mo at Advanced, by the way). No stains in the driveway, DIY satisfaction, and I'll let you keep your ManCard. :cheers:

airram479

Awards
  • Established
HOA = G.A.Y. Sorry, I just don't get it...

Tools involved would include a pan to catch the oil, oil filter or strap wrench, socket or wrench the size of the drain plug, and something to get your car off the ground. For that one, you could park over a ditch! Everything else can be found just about anywhere. I recommend the drain pans that are catch basins and store the oil inside until you can dispose of it (free 5 gall/mo at Advanced, by the way). No stains in the driveway, DIY satisfaction, and I'll let you keep your ManCard. :cheers:
It's the neighbors snitching. My HOA lady is a c-nt as well. Yea, it is G.A.Y, but i am already on the "Blacklist".

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're already on your way out, no use going out with a whimper!! If you gotta go....go with a smile!!!

airram479

Awards
  • Established
LOL. When i finally leave this sh!t-hole. It will be a party to disturb everyone for hours. F-ckyou!! thanks for snitching all those years.

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
Sorry aim, but the mancard was revoked when you had to take it to the dealer to find the leak. Tell your HOA to go F it's self on minor temporary things like that.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Before you go, dig a nice hole in your backyard till ya hit the gas line. Then, as your last act, fill the house with lit scented candles and crack that puppy just before you drive away.

Or just flip 'em off. That works, too. :D

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I hear this story all too often about these J*ffy Lube places not screwing the oil pan plug and the engine seizing. That's what you get when you hire anybody off the street and pay them minimum wage.

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
Yah, car salesman/dealers always get ripped on....but those mechanics are 10x worse IMO.

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
i never let anyone do my oil changes. 17.99 at pepboys with filter, diy and while ur down there, inspect ur suspension. atleast ur not one of those guys that took it to a jiffylube and they drained ur tranny fluid and filled ur engine oil with another 5 quarts

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
i never let anyone do my oil changes. 17.99 at pepboys with filter, diy and while ur down there, inspect ur suspension. atleast ur not one of those guys that took it to a jiffylube and they drained ur tranny fluid and filled ur engine oil with another 5 quarts
Wow, that is hilarious. F the tranny & motor.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I took a truck to V.I.P auto for an oil change a few years back. I drove it about 7 miles and the thing started smoking!. They never put the cap back on the valve cover after filling it with oil. Oil was everywhere, all over the bottom of the truck, all over the engine compartment. I told them and they towed the truck and washed it. A lot of help that was. The engine died several months later. It was a older Nissan pick up that was handed down to me.