Opinions on best vehicles under 20k?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The 92 Explorer ****-beater that Ive been driving for the past 6 years is nearing its final run. Im sick of pouring money down a hole, Im making some decent cash, so its time to upgrade.

So Im looking a huge range of new and used vehicles, trying to focus on something that is all around useful, fun to drive, good gas mileage, etc.

The Honda Element looks pretty nifty, albeit a bit wierd. You can do a ton of stuff with it, though - definately versatile and its a Honda so it should last forever with minimal repair costs.

Any suggestions? Id love to get back into german autos (a 1991 M5 would just be killer) but a car payment and a vehicle with 100k+ miles on it isnt something that I can do right now. Plus, something like that Id want to work on myself, and I dont have time, or a garage at this point.

BV

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
The 92 Explorer ****-beater that Ive been driving for the past 6 years is nearing its final run. Im sick of pouring money down a hole, Im making some decent cash, so its time to upgrade.

So Im looking a huge range of new and used vehicles, trying to focus on something that is all around useful, fun to drive, good gas mileage, etc.

The Honda Element looks pretty nifty, albeit a bit wierd. You can do a ton of stuff with it, though - definately versatile and its a Honda so it should last forever with minimal repair costs.

Any suggestions? Id love to get back into german autos (a 1991 M5 would just be killer) but a car payment and a vehicle with 100k+ miles on it isnt something that I can do right now. Plus, something like that Id want to work on myself, and I dont have time, or a garage at this point.

BV
I own a 2002 Civic EX myself, and it suits me fine. Under 20K, so it fits your budget. The new Scion line is mostly under 20K I understand, and I think they're based on Japanese models that have been in production for quite some time, so they should be reliable. If you want to put a little more down, I'd go with an Acura RSX Type S, A spec if available. It's the most tweaked version of RSX, and it's shitloads of fun to drive and fairly affordable. Basically a poor man's sports car.

toastynoodles

Board Supporter
Awards
Go for the hoda civic si that a nice car!

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
civic ex, or a camry CE both are nice practical cars, under 20k that wont use up a lot of gas and will last well past the 100k mark w/o any problems.

Dont get a civic SI, unless you're a 20 year old 140lb white guy w/ bleached hair who wears wifebeaters, silver chains, and white oakleys. Then by all means get a civic SI, add a flowmaster exhast, some decals, and rev at everyone at the stop lights......No offense toasty :D :D ;)

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
For an economic 4 banger, get one of those new Ford Focuses man...thats whta I drive...not much power, but its reliable and cheap....thats all I really care about at the moment...

IMO though, you need to get a used Dodge Ram or something with V8 at least and put a lift kit on it and some 40" tires.... ;) thats what I want to do, but money is holding me back big time right now...

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good suggestions here, I like german too, but can't afford them! I like corrados, but they're kinda old and probably not too reliable. I used WRX might be cool, you could probably get a nice one that's a couple years old. My boss has a 98 m3 and he says he gets eaten up by WRXs all the time. I like Jergo's suggestion too - the focus svt is <$20k, and kicks ass for that price range.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Good suggestions guys, thanks. I havent thought of the WRX yet, Ill have to look into that.

Id really like a 1999-2000 4Runner Limited. That would kind of suck on gas but its a sweet vehicle and can carry a bunch of stuff.

I long for the days when I screamed around those country roads in my 1979 BMW 635Csi - but at this point in my life a sports car is kind of impractical. I dont have a garage, it snows like a bastard here in the winter time, and Im going to be moving quite a bit in the next few years.

BV

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
98-00 Lexus GS400 is a good pick; leather, luxury, all safety features, looks damn good; and makes 300hp; faster than a new Mustang GT on a roll, etc
can find these second hand for around 20k or less

dont buy a used german car, you're ASKING for trouble

can find 97-99 C5 Corvettes 6-speed or automatic for 20k or less

94-95 Supra twinturbos can be found for around 20k; there's not a car on the planet that can compete blow for blow in all categories for the money... intake/downpipe/catback/boost controller gets you 400rwhp easy, car looks great, has tons of aftermarket support and its extremely rare... targa top, etc... gets decent gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it... girls love this one :) its definitely the most reliable sports car ever made... you will be hard pressed to break ANYTHING on one of these

look out on the WRXs, most of them are beat on by little kids as their first car... transmission s are also very weak

98-00 Lexus SC400s are also available, just like the GS400 except 290hp (from the exhaust restriction), its a coupe, some people prefer the look better...

or you can buy my car
95 Lexus SC300 5-speed, T60-1 turbocharger and a whole bunch of other goodies :) got a couple problems with a bad intercooler setup; but once a front mount setup got put on it, it'd be perfectly fine... should make around 400-450rwhp once tuned right (havent had time)
13k as it sits, or 15k with 400rwhp :) i'll install the fmic, get it tuned before you buy :D

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Slightly off topic a bit but check this 66' Jaguar out...this dude restores old cars and is a collector kinda....he just got rid of this for 19K...

Attachments

Last edited:

toastynoodles

Board Supporter
Awards
For an economic 4 banger, get one of those new Ford Focuses man...thats whta I drive...not much power, but its reliable and cheap....thats all I really care about at the moment...

IMO though, you need to get a used Dodge Ram or something with V8 at least and put a lift kit on it and some 40" tires.... ;) thats what I want to do, but money is holding me back big time right now...
Focuses are nice i had one and it saved my life, was out drinking and driving one night blacked out and then next thing i know woke up in the hospital,got hit by a city bus LOL,LOL i made it out with a few cuts and bruises but the car was totaled.The worst part of it all as i just bought the car 3 month's ago for $10,500 cash and don't have full coverage!! so i was out $10,500.But the car kicked ass for 3 month's was great on gas!!

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
Dont get a civic SI, unless you're a 20 year old 140lb white guy w/ bleached hair who wears wifebeaters, silver chains, and white oakleys. Then by all means get a civic SI, add a flowmaster exhast- some decals, and rev at everyone at the stop lights......No offense toasty :D :D ;)
That sounds exactly like the guys that drive 6-cyl. mustangs, but they wear backwards fitted baseball caps and have something that resembles a gotee. So with that said, don't ever buy the cheap ass watered down version of a badass car. If you can't afford a Trans Am, don't buy a Firebird. If you can't buy a VW GTI 1.8t :cool: , don't buy a VW Golf GL. That is unless you're a chick or a poser. WRX is badass but you won't find one for less than 24k-ish. And for about $24,000 the new Jetta GLI 1.8t is sick. Nice factory body kit, 6-speed manual, 18" BBS wheels with ZR Goodyear Eagles, Ricaro seats with custom embroidery, aluminum petals and trim.

propho

Awards
  • Established
gotta get a convertible man! gurls love them things! =P I don't have a convertible though.. girl's don't love me =( well i'm married so it doesn't matter i guess.. Honda s2000 would be nice you may be able to find one in the 20k range.. my friend is selling his for 22500..

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
the new Jetta GLI 1.8t is sick. Nice factory body kit, 6-speed manual, 18" BBS wheels with ZR Goodyear Eagles, Ricaro seats with custom embroidery, aluminum petals and trim.
I was going to upgrade to that this year until I found out they went down to the 1.8. It's a nice setup but I'm not giving up the low end tourque. The price decrease is nice though. About 3gs less than what mine listed for.

Anyway, I suggest you look at a Jetta. You should be able to pick up a GLS w/out leather for just under 20. They are nice solid cars, and will drive much nicer than any American POS.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Depends on sooo many variables IMO. If you want efficiency and economy, I'd look into a new Civic EX or Corolla S, both plain-jane good, reliable cars that have nothing but positive reviews and history.

If you have no garage I'd also skip the Germans....I've had a few and my brother is a VW enthusiast (builds cutsoms, judges shows and all that crap) and I've learned that they are not something to get used unless you have time, patience, and/or money to fix them.

I guess the real question is, what do you want out of a car? Do you care about fuel efficiency or hybrids? Do you want performance? Do you care about new or used? Everyone's situation is so different that it's hard to recommend cars unless you know exactly what they're thinking, I've found.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
civic ex, or a camry CE both are nice practical cars, under 20k that wont use up a lot of gas and will last well past the 100k mark w/o any problems.

Dont get a civic SI, unless you're a 20 year old 140lb white guy w/ bleached hair who wears wifebeaters, silver chains, and white oakleys. Then by all means get a civic SI, add a flowmaster exhast, some decals, and rev at everyone at the stop lights......No offense toasty :D :D ;)
LMFAO, I really think those guys should be forced out of the vehicles on site and beaten with the riduculous spoiler they tend to put on their "pimped" cars, esp. if it's aluminum and hideous.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
LMFAO, I really think those guys should be forced out of the vehicles on site and beaten with the riduculous spoiler they tend to put on their "pimped" cars, esp. if it's aluminum and hideous.
I second that:) Especially if its on a pimped out Dodge neon:)

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
My favorite was the day I saw a wing made out of wood. That was a sweeta. :D

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Focuses are nice i had one and it saved my life, was out drinking and driving one night blacked out and then next thing i know woke up in the hospital,got hit by a city bus LOL,LOL i made it out with a few cuts and bruises but the car was totaled.The worst part of it all as i just bought the car 3 month's ago for $10,500 cash and don't have full coverage!! so i was out $10,500.But the car kicked ass for 3 month's was great on gas!!

Yep, I almost killed myself this winter in it when I hit a telephone pole...I'm pretty sure Consumer Reports gives the Focus a great rating especially for safety...

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Dont get a civic SI, unless you're a 20 year old 140lb white guy w/ bleached hair who wears wifebeaters, silver chains, and white oakleys. Then by all means get a civic SI, add a flowmaster exhast, some decals, and rev at everyone at the stop lights......No offense toasty
lmao I can't count how many pimped out civics I see in a day.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Go with Honda, Toyota, Nissan. You could get an accord for that price and you get 200k out of them. Check the consumer reports.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Dont get a civic SI, unless you're a 20 year old 140lb white guy w/ bleached hair who wears wifebeaters, silver chains, and white oakleys. Then by all means get a civic SI, add a flowmaster exhast, some decals, and rev at everyone at the stop lights
Why do they were their hats side ways?

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Yep, I almost killed myself this winter in it when I hit a telephone pole...I'm pretty sure Consumer Reports gives the Focus a great rating especially for safety...
The first few years they didn't recomend them but they did this year.

dickwootton

Awards
  • Established
Bro if you want fairly fuel effecient good looking and something that would be good with helping you move...A toyota tacoma pickup. You could get one with a 5 speed and 4wd for under 20k and they are kick ass little trucks. You could even get one that has an extended cab and that would be rocking also. I think that is what i am going to trade my jeep wrangler in for. I have a 2000 wrangler right now but am going to trade it in because of the fuel inneffeiciency.
Dick

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hey did you guys hear about the French banning SUV's? They say that they cause too much pollution...

serengo

Awards
The Dodge SRT4 is the fastest new car you can buy under 20k, period. (They did up the price for the newest ones by 1k so now it's 21k). Now you don't have to drive a ricer to go fast with fwd. Mopar muscle baby!

FYI- A civic is NOT a fast car...

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
The Dodge SRT4 is the fastest new car you can buy under 20k, period. (They did up the price for the newest ones by 1k so now it's 21k). Now you don't have to drive a ricer to go fast with fwd. Mopar muscle baby!

FYI- A civic is NOT a fast car...
I'm not sure many of use were implying that it was.....again this goes back to one's own outlook on a vehicle. If you're main consideration is performance, then that makes sense. If not, others stand out as better alternatives ;)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Im definately tempted to get a sports car this time around, but its just not the right time for it. I need utility, decent gas mileage, AND something Ill look halfway cool driving around in it.

My biggest reason for getting a truck or SUV is that Im a musician, and have a lot of big gear that I lug around from time to time. I cant fit my 4x12 in a sport coupe, you know?:)

Bro if you want fairly fuel effecient good looking and something that would be good with helping you move...A toyota tacoma pickup. You could get one with a 5 speed and 4wd for under 20k and they are kick ass little trucks. You could even get one that has an extended cab and that would be rocking also. I think that is what i am going to trade my jeep wrangler in for. I have a 2000 wrangler right now but am going to trade it in because of the fuel inneffeiciency.
Dick
Ive thought about one of these!! They are a nice little truck. Id love to find a T100 or Tundra I could afford, though. (although Id sacrifice with lower MPG)

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Don't get me started on the French!
Someone should ban France - I hate to be prejudice, Im sure there are some great people in France - but I just always hear the stupidest **** comming out of that country.

BV

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
well I believe it was an idea to ban their use in Paris city limits, not outright ban them :rolleyes:

I hate the French as much as anyone, but I see their point in SUV's.....unless you have a regular use for a vehicle so inefficient and cumbersome, and don't live in a city, I can't see the point in driving one. I'm not sure banning their use (big difference in banning the vehicle sale or possession of vs. banning their use) goes along with the freedoms we enjoy, but if they are expeiencing problems with them in large cities, I see the motivation for it.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I hate the French as much as anyone, but I see their point in SUV's.....unless you have a regular use for a vehicle so inefficient and cumbersome, and don't live in a city, I can't see the point in driving one. I'm not sure banning their use (big difference in banning the vehicle sale or possession of vs. banning their use) goes along with the freedoms we enjoy, but if they are expeiencing problems with them in large cities, I see the motivation for it.
I agree with that. I still hate the french though. :D

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
well I believe it was an idea to ban their use in Paris city limits, not outright ban them

I admit it is kind of ridiculous to see soccer moms toting grocieries in a GMC Envoy in the middle of the city. Definately a waste of energy. Later this year, Ford is supposed to release a hybrid gas/electric model of the Escape - maybe we'll see some full size hybrids in the near future.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
theres a civic ex hybrid, i think its slightly over 20k, not sure.

looks just like a regular civic

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
If you want utility, you should consider an SUV like the Hyundai Santa Fe. You can get one new in your price range (or very close). It has a top rating by JD power (look here --> link), and the strongest warranty in the industry. They are no longer like the unreliable models of 20 years ago (when Hyundai was introduced into this country).

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking we need to seriously invest more in hydrogen power, that way you get performance and no pollution (although I know the downsides, but regardless...)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
You know - I have a book on how to convert a diesel motor to run on fryer grease --- Its not that difficult either if you're mechanically inclined.

I should get a Golf TDI and tank up at McDonalds.
:)
BV

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
I am currently looking at a certified pre-owned 1999 Acura RL 3.5 w/ 46k on it, fully loaded w/o navigation for 15k. 48k in 1999 now 15k and it looks tight. Just goes to show you that for less than 20k you can get a very nice certified pre-owned sedan or suv with a good warranty.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hey whoever said Toyota Camry, big bump for those. I always get one of them when I have to have mine in the shop as a rental....nice car, power everything, good power, etc...IMO can't go wrong with 'em...wish I would've known about them before I purchased...