Anyone here work a comission based job?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Hello men (and ladies):)

Right now Im in food service management - an OK job but the hours suck and the quality of life is definately near the bottom tier as far as careers are concerned. 2 holidays a year, NO sick days unless your on your death bed (and can prove it!), max 5 weeks vacation (and that's after 10 years - you only get 2 for your first 4 and thats where Im at 2), and minimum 50 hour work weeks.

SO, Im looking to find a job where I can make some decent money, work less, and generally be all around happier. I have a BS in computer science, but where I am the IT jobs are scarce, pay ****, or wont hire if you'd dont have 3+ years experience, a BS degree AND an assload of certifications.

I was recently contacted by a company called Aegis Lending for a sales job, they do mortgage refinancing. I went in for the interview and the hiring manager explained that while the base pay was only 12k a year, you could easily make between 35-60k year with the comission structure. Sounds great, but Im kind of timid about going to a commission based pay-structure when right now Im making a decent 45k or so, albiet working until 2am and 10-12 hours workdays.

Does anyone do this kind of thing, and if you do how do you like it? Just looking for some opinions here - I have a tough time with big decisions.:)

Thanks,
BV

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hello men (and ladies):)

Right now Im in food service management - an OK job but the hours suck and the quality of life is definately near the bottom tier as far as careers are concerned. 2 holidays a year, NO sick days unless your on your death bed (and can prove it!), max 5 weeks vacation (and that's after 10 years - you only get 2 for your first 4 and thats where Im at 2), and minimum 50 hour work weeks.

SO, Im looking to find a job where I can make some decent money, work less, and generally be all around happier. I have a BS in computer science, but where I am the IT jobs are scarce, pay ****, or wont hire if you'd dont have 3+ years experience, a BS degree AND an assload of certifications.

I was recently contacted by a company called Aegis Lending for a sales job, they do mortgage refinancing. I went in for the interview and the hiring manager explained that while the base pay was only 12k a year, you could easily make between 35-60k year with the comission structure. Sounds great, but Im kind of timid about going to a commission based pay-structure when right now Im making a decent 45k or so, albiet working until 2am and 10-12 hours workdays.

Does anyone do this kind of thing, and if you do how do you like it? Just looking for some opinions here - I have a tough time with big decisions.:)

Thanks,
BV
Well, some people are great with sales and can make a good living at it...unfortunately I'm not one of them...I used to work jobs based on comission and even though I sold and got leads, I could not stand the actual job...so my advice would be to just try it out and see how you like it...

Remember though...even if you do like it, if you don't get the customers, you get let go...thats just the way it is...and from that it usually causes some mental stress...

I'd rather have more physical stress than mental, that just me though.

MikeBU

Developing Meathead
Awards
Jergo is exactly right. You either got the knack for sales or you don't. If you do, then it is FANTASTIC to work on commission. If you dont think you've got the personality for it, then don't do it. The people who are good at sales know they are good before they've ever sold a damn thing.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Jergo is exactly right. You either got the knack for sales or you don't. If you do, then it is FANTASTIC to work on commission. If you dont think you've got the personality for it, then don't do it. The people who are good at sales know they are good before they've ever sold a damn thing.
I worked sales once, couldn't stand it. They're right, you've either got the personality or you don't, and I sure as hell don't. Another thing, my friend Steve worked in mortgages for a while. Not only do a shitload of deals fall through on refinances and new mortgages for a variety of reasons, which can be frustrating as hell, most of the analysts I trust are predicting that the refinance boom is on its last legs if not already declining. Even if it's a couple years in the future, you'd be entering the market on what's most probably a downslope. Bubbles burst in the real estate market much slower than in other markets, so you might find yourself slowly struggling more and more until you're screwed.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input guys....

I worked as a waiter for a while through college - I was really good at that and that's basically a fast-paced sales job. (little different because its easy to learn how to make good tips...) Money is great for the time you put in - dont know how bad Im tempted to go back to it sometimes.

Ive heard that the housing market is going to slow down pretty soon, and that a lot of real estate is over-valued...I definately dont want to be on the recieving end of that.

I think Im just going to go back to school:) This real life stuff sucks:)

Thanks
BV