TripDogs Spiritual Thread

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For those that choose to walk in the light, I welcome your advice, input, and stories. The strength of life is in the 'Word', and the 'Word' is with God, and the 'Word' is God. (Gospel According to John 1:1). 'Glory to you Lord'

I start this thread with a blessing to those that choose to follow it. Be insightful, learn, grow, develop, and love.

Wisdom is nothing more than the true light of insight. -Dan Mis

Romans 12:9-21(New International Version/ Study)

9. Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil: cling to what is good.

10. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

11. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fevor, serving the Lord.

12. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

13. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

14. Bless those that persecute you; bless and do not curse.

15. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and mourn with those that mourn.

16. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

17. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.

18. If it is possible as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

19. Do not take revenge my friend, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: " It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

20. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry feed him; if he is thirsty give him something to drink. In doing so, you will heap burning coals on his head."

21. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Same passage in King James text below.

9. Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

10. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another

11. Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

12. Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

13. Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

14. Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.

15. Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

16. Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

17. Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

18. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

19. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

20. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

21. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great post, man. Always good to read some more scripture :) Hope you got a chance to get some worship in today. It always sets up my week and gets the fires going strong.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Please don't attack me for asking this question? Do you think your ever given more than you can handle? When is enough enough?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Please don't attack me for asking this question? Do you think your ever given more than you can handle? When is enough enough?
Why would I attack you for asking that?

Ummm, in regards to what, give me an example. Pm me if you want if you need someone to talk to.

suresha

Awards
  • Established
great word Trip. i just woke and said a lil prayer and though i haven't been as active as much in reading the word as i use to i, i had vowed to do so in my prayer upon waking this morning. then stumbled upon this thread on my second post readind here on A.M.
and it felt like to myself as if God was telling me he heard my prayer and wanted me to read that specific scripture to get me back in the zone.
TripDog god bless you and your's and everyone here on AM and congrats on your new gig at(IBE/PHF). Been meaning to pick up a few of their new products and with all the sales going on this past week it was kind of hard to make the decision on what to cop, so i picked up 3 bottles of epi, m-lmg and sd for $120 which was a steal cause thats like a years worth right there in itself including time off. but will definitely be making that purchase over at your spot next.
welcome back TD

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
great word Trip. i just woke and said a lil prayer and though i haven't been as active as much in reading the word as i use to i, i had vowed to do so in my prayer upon waking this morning. then stumbled upon this thread on my second post readind here on A.M.
and it felt like to myself as if God was telling me he heard my prayer and wanted me to read that specific scripture to get me back in the zone.
TripDog god bless you and your's and everyone here on AM and congrats on your new gig at(IBE/PHF). Been meaning to pick up a few of their new products and with all the sales going on this past week it was kind of hard to make the decision on what to cop, so i picked up 3 bottles of epi, m-lmg and sd for $120 which was a steal cause thats like a years worth right there in itself including time off. but will definitely be making that purchase over at your spot next.
welcome back TD
I'm speachless, that means to world to me, thank-you. :)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Favorite part of this board? All the God-fearing Christians abound.

Love to know there are still many others out there grinding out their Christian convictions in this liberal secular progressively anti-God world. ;)

God bless all my fellow brothers in Christ. Times are changing and remaining stern and rigid in our beliefs despite the labels and unpopularity, has become harder and harder.

The reward?
"God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers.
" (Matthew 5:11)

;)

nerdalert

Awards
Thanks for posting this, I get so wrapped up in the day to day demands on my life that I don't spend the time with the word like I know I should.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Favorite part of this board? All the God-fearing Christians abound.

Love to know there are still many others out there grinding out their Christian convictions in this liberal secular progressively anti-God world. ;)

God bless all my fellow brothers in Christ. Times are changing and remaining stern and rigid in our beliefs despite the labels and unpopularity, has become harder and harder.

The reward?
"God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers.
" (Matthew 5:11)

;)
I love you signature Whacked, very empowering! :)

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for posting this, I get so wrapped up in the day to day demands on my life that I don't spend the time with the word like I know I should.
I hope I can provide some strength for you, I will do my best. :)

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The LORD protects all those who love him, but he destroys the wicked. Psalm145:20

This is a 'very' powerful passage, that I hope finds strength to those with an eye.

-Dan :)

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28 :)

This is strength in purity. :) This was the Passage that saved former KoRn lead guitarist Brian 'head' Welch from a methamphetamine addiction ,and himself. (he wrote a book Save Me From Myself that I read and really enjoyed) I 'LOVE' this song he wrote about his transformation to the light, and It's a great video as well.

'Washed By Blood' enjoy. :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey TC,

Having known you and your testimony (I am AKA: B5150) I understand completely where you come from.

I came across this and I thought it captured the essence of my point without me fumbling to communicate it myself. It is much more comprehensive than I would have been able to compile.

For us who believe the Word of God is True we, as Christians, rely upon it and act in obedience anticipating the blessings it will bestow upon us.

For me OBEDIENCE is paramount! But I too fail.

Have you ever gone through a trial, and people said to you, “It’s ok. God will not give you more than you can handle.” (And they stop there.) This idea has been on my mind for a couple of days now, but I just couldn’t recollect where the Bible says that. It sounds like it would be in scripture…so I looked…and looked. Not in there. Where do we get this idea that God will not give us more than we can handle?! Sure, it sounds fluffy and pretty, because we know we have a GOOD God. But we also know that His Word is TRUTH, and if it can’t be found in His Word as Truth, then it isn’t. We can’t just make up things about God and believe them to be true just because we want them to be true. That’s not how He works. He’s not a figment of our imagination, formed and molded into who we, as individuals, want Him to be. He IS TRUTH. LOVE. JUSTICE. All these things we know, because His Word promises us this. But does He keep us from troubles? Does He “not give us more than we can bear?”

I believe that people must get this idea from 1 Corinthians 10:13, “And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.”

Reading this scripture, one can see how our minds would like to take this Truth and twist it to fit our hopes: That God wouldn’t ever give us more than we can handle/bear at one time. However, as I prayed and studied about this very concept, the Lord brought several things to my attention. It’s funny how God is trying to teach you something, and everything falls into place to show you what He wants you to learn. I just finished reading 1 Corinthians, and began 2 Corinthians. This is God’s humor, because 2 Corinthians has many points that relate to this exact topic. Paul talks about the troubles and hardships that he has faced:

“We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.” 2 Corinthians 1:8-9

AND

“…I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?
If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.”
2 Corinthians 11:23-30

If ANYONE should be exempt from being “given more than they could handle,” it would have been Paul. Yet, even more so, it should have been Jesus. However, in the Garden of Gethsemane, He sweated blood and cried out to the Father to deliver Him from this death if it was His will. But it wasn’t His will. God is a GOOD God, and if Jesus hadn’t been sacrificed on that tree, our sin would not be atoned for, and we would, perhaps, still be trying (unsuccessfully) to obey the law.

But these men were not spared. And God does sometimes give us more than our earthly, human bodies can endure. HOWEVER….

Looking back to 2 Corinthians 1:8-9, the last part says: “But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves, but on God, who raises the dead.”
AND looking back at 2 Corinthians 11:23-30: “If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.”

As Paul endured a constant thorn in his flesh, he stated, “But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Cor. 12:9-10

Paul even stated that throughout all his troubles, his JOY knows no bounds! (2 Cor. 7:4) How many of us can say that we are JOYFUL through our troubles?! Wow. But if we can focus on the BIG PICTURE…

God allows us to go through trials to strengthen us. He uses them so that we realize, once again, our need for Him. He wants us to trust Him for deliverance. He also uses them to call us back to repentance. (See Amos 4:6-11…as well as many of the prophet’s books in the Old Testament.) His discipline is for our good.

"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son.
Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined --and everyone undergoes discipline-- then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.” Hebrews 12:4-11

Soooo…..to answer my original question: Does God ever give us more than we can handle?

Yes, God gives us more than we can handle—APART FROM HIM. Yet with His strength and grace, He gives us the ability to endure and grow!

“But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that His life may be revealed in our mortal body.” 2 Cor. 4:7-11

The underlying principle is this: God cares more about our eternal destiny than He does our earthly comfort! Think about this. Try to wrap your mind around it. We are so self-centered that we automatically try to reject this idea because we just want to have a comfortable, happy life here on earth. But God knows that this brief time on earth is only the beginning. He is preparing us for our eternal glory that will last forever. Our troubles on earth will never cease, as this world is currently in the hands of Satan (the god of this world/age...2 Cor. 4:4)

But the Lord says to us, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Very inspiring my brethren!! :D

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This makes me really happy :) It's incredibly awesome to know so many other believers are here on the boards. In case anyone is looking for a good devotional, the one my old church in my hometown used is "Our Daily Bread" and I've used their web devotionals ever since:

http://odb.org/

Set it as my homepage and it makes for a great start to my day when I turn on the computer.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This makes me really happy :) It's incredibly awesome to know so many other believers are here on the boards. In case anyone is looking for a good devotional, the one my old church in my hometown used is "Our Daily Bread" and I've used their web devotionals ever since:

http://odb.org/

Set it as my homepage and it makes for a great start to my day when I turn on the computer.
That sounds empowering, I will check that out. Thank-you. :)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not attempting to take this OT but does anyone else around here listen to and love Charles Stanley? Dude is truly ''sent from above'' and as REAL as it gets IMO. I have a hard time trusting TV Evangelists at times as I question their authenticity. Unfortunately, I am very skeptical of the TV-types. Perhaps unjustified but it is who I am.

Again, not trying to take this thread in another direction but I am always looking into additional spiritual guidance and nothing speaks to my soul louder than a genuine Bible-preaching minister (w/o all the borderline heretical fluff - gold suits, silver shoes, unneccessary screaming displays of righteousness - gag!).

Billy Graham is truly filled with the Spirit and numero UNO in my book but barely around anymore. Charles Stanley is right there with him but more available.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
welcome back TD
Do not take this as an attack because this is a genuine question,do you think God is ok with people taking steroids i mean i remember learning when i was a kid that your body is your temple..If we believe in God and take anabolic steroids Are we all hypocrites???

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very interesting subject that will undoubtably be ripe with debate.

IMHO? Steroid ABUSE (accepting the deleterious effects but still using crazy amounts or types = abuse) is wrong as you are purposefully harming yuour body. Using mild doses and using it responsibly is no different than using supplements (well, similar).

Advancing your body's potential thru use of ergogenic supps and gear is not wrong.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very interesting subject that will undoubtably be ripe with debate.

IMHO? Steroid ABUSE (accepting the deleterious effects but still using crazy amounts or types = abuse) is wrong as you are purposefully harming yuour body. Using mild doses and using it responsibly is no different than using supplements (well, similar).

Advancing your body's potential thru use of ergogenic supps and gear is not wrong.
And not just that isn't Vanity a sin.. I mean for alot of us we take steroid because one of the most important thing to us is how good we look..

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do not take this as an attack because this is a genuine question,do you think God is ok with people taking steroids i mean i remember learning when i was a kid that your body is your temple..If we believe in God and take anabolic steroids Are we all hypocrites???
And not just that isn't Vanity a sin.. I mean for alot of us we take steroid because one of the most important thing to us is how good we look..
You assume we are taking steroids and assume we are hypocrites.

You also assume that we think what's most important to us is the way we look and that we are vain.

Do you believe your body is a temple and that when you use steroids you are a hypocrite?

Is your vanity a sin? Is the way you look the most important thing to you?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very interesting proposal in here.

My personal take is that there's nothing inherently wrong with steroids. When used correctly, they're safe. They aren't mind-altering (at least not any more so than caffeine) like alcohol or other drugs. If it's something that can be used to help your body feel good and keep you in optimal physical condition, what's wrong with it (aside from the legal standpoint)?

I think one of the reasons that I enjoy bodybuilding so much is that it helps me in my walk with Christ. It keeps me from gluttony and sloth. When people try to get me to go out and get drunk with them, it's one extra reason to say no. I don't know, I've just found that a bodybuilding lifestyle and a Christian lifestyle seem to go hand-in-hand.

Steroids are illegal but should be legal and controlled. Marijuana is illegal but should be legal and taxed (and controlled, but to a lesser extent than steroids). And here we are with cigarettes and alcohol readily available despite their links to death totals, disease, etc.

It's all politics and all about whose agenda is being pushed. The above statement is my personal feeling toward the issue.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Would it be wrong to put a fresh coat of paint on a chapel, whether it be 1year water base or 10 year oil base?

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You assume we are taking steroids and assume we are hypocrites.

You also assume that we think what's most important to us is the way we look and that we are vain.

Do you believe your body is a temple and that when you use steroids you are a hypocrite?

Is your vanity a sin? Is the way you look the most important thing to you?
Assume Assume Assume

Are you assuming no one here takes steroids

are you assuming that no one here feels it's very important how they look

are you assuming that no one here feels there body is a temple

For the record i'm not assuming anything about anyone i'm just trying to understand certain things and get other peoples opinions.
there really is no need to come at me like that..I'M just talking

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very interesting proposal in here.

My personal take is that there's nothing inherently wrong with steroids. When used correctly, they're safe. They aren't mind-altering (at least not any more so than caffeine) like alcohol or other drugs. If it's something that can be used to help your body feel good and keep you in optimal physical condition, what's wrong with it (aside from the legal standpoint)?

I think one of the reasons that I enjoy bodybuilding so much is that it helps me in my walk with Christ. It keeps me from gluttony and sloth. When people try to get me to go out and get drunk with them, it's one extra reason to say no. I don't know, I've just found that a bodybuilding lifestyle and a Christian lifestyle seem to go hand-in-hand.

Steroids are illegal but should be legal and controlled. Marijuana is illegal but should be legal and taxed (and controlled, but to a lesser extent than steroids). And here we are with cigarettes and alcohol readily available despite their links to death totals, disease, etc.

It's all politics and all about whose agenda is being pushed. The above statement is my personal feeling toward the issue.
I totally agree with you,but i think some people myself included might get to focused on what we see in the mirror you know what i mean. I mean God forbid we slack off and lose a couple inches on our arms..

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I totally agree with you,but i think some people myself included might get to focused on what we see in the mirror you know what i mean. I mean God forbid we slack off and lose a couple inches on our arms..
I openly admit that I lift for vanity purposes (I'd simply power-lift, otherwise), but it's not the main or only reason I do. Like I said, it's something that keeps me going in the right direction with other parts of life.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I openly admit that I lift for vanity purposes (I'd simply power-lift, otherwise), but it's not the main or only reason I do. Like I said, it's something that keeps me going in the right direction with other parts of life.
So do you believe if it can be done in a healthy way, that it can be a good thing and actually make you a better Person/Christian??

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So do you believe if it can be done in a healthy way, that it can be a good thing and actually make you a better Person/Christian??
I don't think that it makes you a better Christian or person, but it certainly can lend itself to being a part of that lifestyle. I just know that it keeps me honest and true to my walk with God in terms of not binging too badly around food (Thanksgiving is a rare exception ;)) or going out and slamming drinks. Since I'm so cautious of keeping my body primed, I have less urges and temptations to do things I shouldn't. And the endorphins I get from working out are the 2nd best high I experience (1st best for me is a great worship session Sunday mornings).

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think that it makes you a better Christian or person, but it certainly can lend itself to being a part of that lifestyle. I just know that it keeps me honest and true to my walk with God in terms of not binging too badly around food (Thanksgiving is a rare exception ;)) or going out and slamming drinks. Since I'm so cautious of keeping my body primed, I have less urges and temptations to do things I shouldn't. And the endorphins I get from working out are the 2nd best high I experience (1st best for me is a great worship session Sunday mornings).
Cool.. And definately trying to keep in shape helps you avoid alot of unhealthy temptations.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
Is this spiritual thread exclusive to Christians and Catholics only???

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I agree. It's about perspective...

This thread is awesome...good to see all of the dudes in here!

airram479

Awards
  • Established
IMO,i have found some truth in just about all religion--it's a vehicle to get us to that particular place in our lives where we are complete inside and out. I just like having an array of vehicles too help me get there.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Assume Assume Assume

Are you assuming no one here takes steroids

are you assuming that no one here feels it's very important how they look

are you assuming that no one here feels there body is a temple

For the record i'm not assuming anything about anyone i'm just trying to understand certain things and get other peoples opinions.
there really is no need to come at me like that..I'M just talking
None of those things are a sin in and of itself.

Taking steroids, risking your health in an unreasonable way, would be a poor steward with the gift of your health and moreso life. Some may feel the steroid is the sin. Some would look at the irresponsibility of the use and risking your life would be the sin. I believe the poor stewardhip with my life would be the sin. If it greives the Holy Spirit (that still voice in your head that tells your you're doing something wrong) then I would be lead to believe it is sin in my life.

Being conscious of and developing your outward appearance is not a sin in and of itself. Being consumed with appearance for some is an obsession and a body dysmorphia issue. Others are overconcerned obout it to gratify their flesh in ways of exhibitionism and or sexuality. Others become conceited and egotistical. If you care about how you look and the means and motives do not objectify yourself and or are motivated by the above then it in and of itself I do not consider it a sin in my life. I take pride in my physique but am by no means vain. My motive is not of exhibitionisn (although I like to be admired) but rather a good steward with my health and longevity which happens to have a by-product of an outwardly appealing appearance. But to build a tremendous temple with outwardly amazing feature to be void of a spirit is a waste.

It sounds like it would be in scripture…so I looked…and looked. Not in there. Where do we get this idea that God will not give us more than we can handle?! Sure, it sounds fluffy and pretty, because we know we have a GOOD God. But we also know that His Word is TRUTH, and if it can’t be found in His Word as Truth, then it isn’t. We can’t just make up things about God and believe them to be true just because we want them to be true. That’s not how He works. He’s not a figment of our imagination, formed and molded into who we, as individuals, want Him to be. He IS TRUTH.
Here is an analogy:

Now 1 Corinthians 8 (New International Version, ©2010)

1 Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that “We all possess knowledge.” But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. 2 Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know. 3 But whoever loves God is known by God.[a]
4 So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that “An idol is nothing at all in the world” and that “There is no God but one.” 5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

7 But not everyone possesses this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat sacrificial food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8 But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol’s temple, won’t that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols? 11 So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12 When you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.

Romans 14
The Weak and the Strong
1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.
5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’”

12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall. 22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.[c]

kvothe

Awards
the above post is great when it comes to answering the question of steroids and christianity. I do believe, as long as used responsibly, and that is also up for individual debate, but assuming that, it is a matter of is it going to weaken my testimony or lead someone else into sin. This is one that could be debated for a long time and have different answers and none necessarily wrong. I would hate for a non believer to get a bad impression because of steroid use, but on the other hand if physical impressiveness is used to attract attention, and then that attention is diverted from us to Christ it could be a great thing!

If someone wants to nitpick at any one they can find sin, as only one lived a sinless life. I am a sinner, saved by grace, and i always will be a sinner as long as I wear this flesh. None of us can be sinless, but we can all sin less. I am taking part in a discipleship program at my church and one of the main points is that we should be willing to sacrifice anything, at any time for the cause of Christ and that the reason we try to live a better life is to make ourselves available for Christ to use us to promote His kingdom on earth. For those of us who use steroids, we need to see if that is getting in the way. Are we missing tithe, giving, etc due to spending money on gear? Does it affect our thoughts, motivations, etc., elevating lifting, physique above the importance of the things of God? Are we a stumbling block to others we know?

Regarding the legality, that is a tough one, as the Bible does say to obey the law of the land. However with the legality of otc orals, which are more harmful than most injectibles physically, and more costly, if we choose to go the hormonal route are we being good stewards choosing a riskier and more expensive route, although legal? These are though questions, and definitely ones to pray over, but please dont let these things stop you from championing Christ whatever your decision.

Also, though it is not said exactly God will not give us more than we can handle, in one fo Pauls epsitles he states that we will not be tempted above what we can handle and that with each temptation He will provide a way of escape. Sorry I do not know the book and verse off the top of my head. Hope that gives some encouragement if needed.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the above post is great when it comes to answering the question of steroids and christianity. I do believe, as long as used responsibly, and that is also up for individual debate, but assuming that, it is a matter of is it going to weaken my testimony or lead someone else into sin. This is one that could be debated for a long time and have different answers and none necessarily wrong. I would hate for a non believer to get a bad impression because of steroid use, but on the other hand if physical impressiveness is used to attract attention, and then that attention is diverted from us to Christ it could be a great thing!

If someone wants to nitpick at any one they can find sin, as only one lived a sinless life. I am a sinner, saved by grace, and i always will be a sinner as long as I wear this flesh. None of us can be sinless, but we can all sin less. I am taking part in a discipleship program at my church and one of the main points is that we should be willing to sacrifice anything, at any time for the cause of Christ and that the reason we try to live a better life is to make ourselves available for Christ to use us to promote His kingdom on earth. For those of us who use steroids, we need to see if that is getting in the way. Are we missing tithe, giving, etc due to spending money on gear? Does it affect our thoughts, motivations, etc., elevating lifting, physique above the importance of the things of God? Are we a stumbling block to others we know?

Regarding the legality, that is a tough one, as the Bible does say to obey the law of the land. However with the legality of otc orals, which are more harmful than most injectibles physically, and more costly, if we choose to go the hormonal route are we being good stewards choosing a riskier and more expensive route, although legal? These are though questions, and definitely ones to pray over, but please dont let these things stop you from championing Christ whatever your decision.
Well said!

Also, though it is not said exactly God will not give us more than we can handle, in one fo Pauls epsitles he states that we will not be tempted above what we can handle and that with each temptation He will provide a way of escape. Sorry I do not know the book and verse off the top of my head. Hope that gives some encouragement if needed.
1 Corinthians 10:13

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

The prerequisite to finding His way out is to know Him.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I find myself having quite the internal struggle as of the last week, and I am not sure as to why? I am a caring person by nature, I work 80+ hours a week, school for nursing and I spend my remaining free time with my nephews whom I adore............I don't know perhaps this is a struggle I need to figure out on my own, I did reach out and have been left hanging, no email saying hey I got the email, busy...nothing.....It's rare for me to reach out to anyone as I am the one everyone goes to.......

<sigh>........

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not attempting to take this OT but does anyone else around here listen to and love Charles Stanley? Dude is truly ''sent from above'' and as REAL as it gets IMO. I have a hard time trusting TV Evangelists at times as I question their authenticity. Unfortunately, I am very skeptical of the TV-types. Perhaps unjustified but it is who I am.

Again, not trying to take this thread in another direction but I am always looking into additional spiritual guidance and nothing speaks to my soul louder than a genuine Bible-preaching minister (w/o all the borderline heretical fluff - gold suits, silver shoes, unneccessary screaming displays of righteousness - gag!).

Billy Graham is truly filled with the Spirit and numero UNO in my book but barely around anymore. Charles Stanley is right there with him but more available.
I will have to check him out, thank-you for the 'heads up'.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is my take on the subject..

Depending on how you go about using certain things, and where they take you is the telltale sign. If your use of 'anything' be it supplements, medications, alcohol etc becomes in your eyes more powerful than your faith, it can be looked at as sin. As you put strength in greater context to something 'above' CHRIST. Similar to worship of a 'false idol'.

I do feel most things can be used safely, at lowest effective doses. Be wary and warned the desire to take that to unsafe levels will always be there, as influence in dark form. If whatever use you decide upon does not take you to dark thoughts, or intended to inflict harm apon yourself, I do not think it can be looked at as sin.

These are just my words and thoughts, I don't have all the answers, only CHRIST does.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find myself having quite the internal struggle as of the last week, and I am not sure as to why? I am a caring person by nature, I work 80+ hours a week, school for nursing and I spend my remaining free time with my nephews whom I adore............I don't know perhaps this is a struggle I need to figure out on my own, I did reach out and have been left hanging, no email saying hey I got the email, busy...nothing.....It's rare for me to reach out to anyone as I am the one everyone goes to.......

<sigh>........
It could appear to an outside observer that this caring nature you have is causing you a burn yourself out.

You work load is insanely high and your free time is used for caring for someone else besides yourself.

I don't mean to be rude but rather simply direct - unless you get some R&R and some quite time alone to re-create you are setting yourself up for a physical, emotional and spiritual breakdown.

The "nature" that you operate by could be the culprit. A drive and ambition is a good thing but if it is compromising the balance in your life it may not be. I'm just suggesting that this natural tendency you have to overload yourself could be a great deal of your/the problem. No? Your thoughts? Maybe?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

<sigh>........
Email sent :). Sorry, I have a lot of things going on in my lfe right now, and by no means ignored it. Read my reply, it will offer you some strength, and remember ...You are not alone.

-Dan

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My favorite song in the world, amazing life performance. Listen to the words, it's truely beyond inspirational. ENJOY :)

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
It could appear to an outside observer that this caring nature you have is causing you a burn yourself out.

You work load is insanely high and your free time is used for caring for someone else besides yourself.

I don't mean to be rude but rather simply direct - unless you get some R&R and some quite time alone to re-create you are setting yourself up for a physical, emotional and spiritual breakdown.

The "nature" that you operate by could be the culprit. A drive and ambition is a good thing but if it is compromising the balance in your life it may not be. I'm just suggesting that this natural tendency you have to overload yourself could be a great deal of your/the problem. No? Your thoughts? Maybe?
I will agree with the work load is insanely high, I work in a acute psych hospital, close to 80+ hours a week, school part time, i have my gym time which is about a hour everyday, thats my time..... I've always been driven and had ambition, it;s always how I have been, first degree, now second degree......condo, dog...the order of things....lol

I guess I see so much "bad" for lack of better word in my daily life i often question why? Maybe it was the assault I suffered in July, since than I have noticed I have changed..

Thanks for the thoughts, if i dont get back to the forum for awhile, happy holidays and be safe...:)

TC

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
There's no time like the present. lol
I know man its really hard to type right now im at work and theres no good lights. HArd to explain. But deff want to talk about this big dog! :)