anyone in new york city?

jdj16

jdj16

Awards
  • Established
anybody on here from new york city? I'm graduating college soon and going to medical school next, and am kind of curious about a few of the schools up in nyc. I'm down at school in pensacola florida and lived in biloxi mississippi before i went to school, so i really don't know anything at all about new york city except what you hear on tv. can anyone throw out any advice?

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I would take a trip up to check it out yourself, my best friend lives on long island and I just started dating someone in the city, but I love nyc.....PM me what would you like to know?

TC

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No offence bro, but you lived in Mississippi, and here in FL your whole life, NYC will more than likely overwhelm the living crap out of you. If you base your reality on what you hear on tv, the sweet surprise of it's outcome might not be what you bargened for. I 'strongly' advise taking a trip there first for a few days, and do as much as you can there, then use your best judgement, not what people on an internet forum tell you to do. Good luck in your persuit, and with school bro, great carear choice, God Bless.

~Dan

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
Trip could be right but there is no better place on earth. id live there if it were more conveinient but being 30 miles north is just fine. also understand what it costs to live there(manhattan). you may rent a closet sized apt for 2k+

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trip could be right but there is no better place on earth. id live there if it were more conveinient but being 30 miles north is just fine. also understand what it costs to live there(manhattan). you may rent a closet sized apt for 2k+
My point is this...

I have lived in both the north and the south for many years, and they are two very different worlds. Someone going from the north to the south will probly have no issues adjusting to a slower paced life, but the transition from south to north (New York City!!) is going to be a very overwhelming. Thats just reality, NYC is a very 'tough' place period.

I'm not looking for your approval, I'm just stating a fact based on my real live personal opinion, and experiences.

Have you lived in the south and the north to make a fair comparason ambulldog? If so, then you have input on the topic, if not you have no input on the topic, simple as that really...

You are correct about the housing reality on the matter though, it's just flat out ridiculous, it's a shame really, because I love New York, but could never afford to live in Manhattan/NYC.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
I'm not looking for your approval, I'm just stating a fact based on my real live personal opinion, and experiences.

Have you lived in the south and the north to make a fair comparason ambulldog? If so, then you have input on the topic, if not you have no input on the topic, simple as that really...

i wasnt giving you approval i was agreeing with you. and i was hardly trying to give a comparison to living in the north or south. i was giving my opinion on nyc only. ive spent quite some time in the soiuth, not years but enough to know i wouldnt want to live there. you know though plenty of hicks move to nyc all the time and do fine. you may see it as tough others may see it as everything one could ever want or need

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

i wasnt giving you approval i was agreeing with you. and i was hardly trying to give a comparison to living in the north or south. i was giving my opinion on nyc only. ive spent quite some time in the south, not years but enough to know i wouldnt want to live there. you know though plenty of hicks move to nyc all the time and do fine. you may see it as tough others may see it as everything one could ever want or need
Ok, that's cool. No hard feelings bro. I wasn't trying to attack you. One man's paradise is anothers nightmare. Again I was only stating my opinion, neither right or wrong, just my input.

It's good and healthy to get different opinions out there for jdj16 to hear about.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I agree, I to said he should visit and get his own idea, having lived in both North and South, it is completely different......

Good luck with your choice...

TC

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It can be a great place to visit simply because you can leave.

It takes thick skin to live in a place like that. On it's best days it's a jungle. On it's worst it's pretty bad - congestion, polution, subways, taxi's, grid lock, alternate side of the street parking, no parking, tools, snow, rain, cold, gloom, dark...

Born and raised in Brooklyn. It takes thick skin.

I love it for all that is good about it. What I love best is that I can leave when I'm done :)

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It can be a great place to visit simply because you can leave.

It takes thick skin to live in a place like that. On it's best days it's a jungle. On it's worst it's pretty bad - congestion, polution, subways, taxi's, grid lock, alternate side of the street parking, no parking, tools, snow, rain, cold, gloom, dark...

Born and raised in Brooklyn. It takes thick skin.

I love it for all that is good about it. What I love best is that I can leave when I'm done :)
You hit the nail on the head Bri.