Logic: Work Your Mind

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
I will post a new one every week, or as soon as one is solved.

The Boatman Crossing the River with Fox, Chicken, and Cabbage (source unknown)
There is a boatman who has a very tiny and rickety boat. His goal is to cross the river and take his two pets: a chicken and a fox, and a head of cabbage. The problem is this. The boat is so small, he can only take one thing with him at a time, and to make things worse, he knows that if he leaves the fox alone with the chicken, the fox will gobble up the chicken, and surely, if the chicken is left with the cabbage, the boatman will have no more cabbage. How can the boatman get all three across the river with him?

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Here is my solution:

You take the chicken across the river and leave it there.   You then go back and pick up the cabbage and bring it across the river.  When you get across, you leave the cabage and pick up the chicken and put it back in your boat.  You then go back across the river, drop off the chicken and pick up the fox.  You bring the fox across the river and drop him off with the cabbage.  You then go back across the river (notice the boat is empty on this trip back), pick up the chicken and bring him across.  

DONE. 

:D

khafra

Awards
Yeah, that one's so old that the out-of-the-box thinking step (taking something back across the river) is now safely inside the box.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by khafra
Yeah, that one's so old that the out-of-the-box thinking step (taking something back across the river) is now safely inside the box.

Damn, I thought I was making a massive breakthrough :) hehehe, thats the first time I had seen that logic puzzle.  I enjoy trying to figure those out, so long as its not some stupid ambigious answer like..."the guy leaves and buys a better boat...." hehe :)

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Here is my solution:

You take the chicken across the river and leave it there.   You then go back and pick up the cabbage and bring it across the river.  When you get across, you leave the cabage and pick up the chicken and put it back in your boat.  You then go back across the river, drop off the chicken and pick up the fox.  You bring the fox across the river and drop him off with the cabbage.  You then go back across the river (notice the boat is empty on this trip back), pick up the chicken and bring him across.  

DONE. 

:D
good job bro

Inzah Dude

Awards
See if you can get this one: 3 men walk into a hotel. The guy working the till says theres one room left so they wil have to share. The room cost $30. So, each guy puts in $10 to pay for the room. A while later the guy at the till realizes the room only costs $25 so he sends the bellboy up with the extra $5 that they payed for the room. On his way up to the room he was wondering how hes gonna split this $5 up between 3 people. So he decided to keep $2 for himself and give each guy a dollar back so its even between the 3 guys. So that would mean each guy paid 9 dollars. 9x3=27. Plus the $2 that the bellboy kept. 27+2=29. Whered the other dollar go?

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Inzah Dude
See if you can get this one: 3 men walk into a hotel. The guy working the till says theres one room left so they wil have to share. The room cost $30. So, each guy puts in $10 to pay for the room. A while later the guy at the till realizes the room only costs $25 so he sends the bellboy up with the extra $5 that they payed for the room. On his way up to the room he was wondering how hes gonna split this $5 up between 3 people. So he decided to keep $2 for himself and give each guy a dollar back so its even between the 3 guys. So that would mean each guy paid 9 dollars. 9x3=27. Plus the $2 that the bellboy kept. 27+2=29. Whered the other dollar go?
This is essentially a flaw in math.  Each guy ended up paying $9 each but they GAVE $30 to the register.  When the bellboy took the $5 out, that left $25 in the register.  They each got a dollar back, thus  [total money given - total money paid] ($30-$27 = $3), plus the $2 the bellboy took and there is your $5 dollars.   Add this to the original $25 in the drawer and you get $30 dollars.  By calculating it the way they did, you are not taking into account the money transfer, simply what they paid in total. 

I think this is right?

WYD

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
thats a doozie....WYD covered it however, might have to mess with some friends on that one. a doozie i tell you Inzahdude

Big H

Banned
Awards
Read this carefully, cause the answer is given..

first think of the person who lives in disguise
who deals with secret and tells nothing but lies.
next think of the thing that is always last to mend
middle of the middle and end of the end.
finally think of the sound often heard
in the search for a hard-to-find word.
string them all together and answer me this
which creature would u unwillingly kiss?

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Big H

A human :)

khafra

Awards
I've truly never seen this one before, but tell me if I'm on the right track

Originally posted by Big H

Spy

[the letter] d

"er..."

I have to admit, I wouldn't willingly kiss a spider... Although spider girl usually looks pretty hot in Marvel Comics.  Nice riddle, though, truly gave me pause for thought.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
You have a 5 gallon jug and a 3 gallon jug. You have no other measuring devices.
Measure out exactly 4 gallons of water (Assume you have a river handy, or some other limitless water supply).

weissmuller

Awards
Originally posted by ex_banana-eater
You have a 5 gallon jug and a 3 gallon jug. You have no other measuring devices.
Measure out exactly 4 gallons of water (Assume you have a river handy, or some other limitless water supply).
Fill the 3 gallon jug and empty into the 5.  Fill the 3 again and pour into the 5 till full leaving 1 gallon in the 3.  Empty the 5 and add the 1 gallon in the 3.  Then fill the three again and add it to the 1 gallon already in the 5 gallon jug. 

I am guessing there are probally other ways.  I could think of atleast one if there was a 3rd uncalibrated container.

Edit: Wish I could spell and use grammar correctly

WYD02

Awards
  • Established

Damn I was too late!! hehehe... Die Hard 3 anyone?? :D

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
You are given 12 identical-looking coins, one of which is counterfeit and weighs slightly more or less (you don't know which) than the others. You are given a balance scale which lets you put the same number of coins on each side and observe which side (if either) is heavier. How can you identify the counterfeit and tell whether it is heavy or light, in 3 weighings?

Big H

Banned
Awards
I've truly never seen this one before, but tell me if I'm on the right track

Spy

[the letter] d

"er..."

I have to admit, I wouldn't willingly kiss a spider... Although spider girl usually looks pretty hot in Marvel Comics.  Nice riddle, though, truly gave me pause for thought.
Very very good my friend. You are correct.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
This one is really funny... just seeing how stupid we are.

If you want it to work, you can't take time between the questions. I managed a measly 1 out of four.

ARE YOU THE WEAKEST LINK?

Below are 4 questions. Answer them instantly. You can't take your time.

Answer them immediately. No pencil or paper! OK? Let's find out just how smart and clever you really are. Ready? ... GO!!!

FIRST QUESTION: You are participating in a race. You overtake the second person. What position are you in?

ANSWER: If you answer that you are first, then you are absolutely wrong! If you overtake the second person and you take his place, you are second! Try not to screw up in the next question.

To answer the second question, don't take as much time as you took for the first question. (You know you took too much time.)

SECOND QUESTION: If you overtake the last person, then you are...?

ANSWER: If you answered that you are second to last, then you are wrong again. Tell me, how can you overtake the LAST person?!

THIRD QUESTION: Very tricky math! Note: This must be done in your head only. Do NOT use paper and pencil or a calculator. Try it.

Take 1000 and add 40 to it.

Now add another 1000.

Now add 30.

Add another 1000.

Now add 20.

Now add another 1000.

Now add 10.

What is the total?

ANSWER: Did you get 5000? The correct answer is actually 4100. Don't believe it? Check with your calculator! Today is definitely not your day. Maybe you will get the last question right?

LAST QUESTION: Mary's father has five daughters: Nana, Nene, Nini, Nono. What is the name of the fifth daughter?

ANSWER: Nunu? Nana? Nene? NONO! Of course not. The fifth daughter's name is Mary. Read the question again.

You ARE the WEAKEST LINK!!

weissmuller

Awards
Re: This one is really funny... just seeing how stupid we are.

If you want it to work, you can't take time between the questions. I managed a measly 1 out of four.
Okay I now feel even dumber than I did before.  I got the first one but probally thought about it to long and then just really messed up the rest.  Can I get full credit if I don't loose any self esteam over it? :( 

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
EXBE, that was too easy. got 3/4...that second question regarding "if you take over last place" ...the way its asked is gay. (mainly cuz i missed it...ha) Sage

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
EXBE, that was too easy. got 3/4...that second question regarding "if you take over last place" ...the way its asked is gay. (mainly cuz i missed it...ha) Sage
I guess you are a quick thinker then, since you were supposed to answer instantaneously. Good work.

Try the coin question