Tired Gay succumbs to Dix

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6622I420100703

Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 meters

Oregon (Reuters) - Olympic bronze medalist Walter Dix edged out Tyson Gay in the former world champion's hotly-anticipated return to the 200 meters at the Prefontaine Classic Diamond League meeting on Saturday.

In the 110 meters hurdles, American David Oliver recorded the fourth fastest 110 meters hurdles of all time with a 12.90 second run.

Gay, who has been battling a nagging hamstring problem for seven weeks, ran his first 200 of the year in 19.76 seconds to finish just shy of Dix, who took control coming off the bend and stayed in front to win in 19.72.

"It wasn't bad, but I was a little fatigued toward the end," Gay said. "I tried to stay relaxed and bring it home, but it wasn't enough."

Dix, who won the 100 meters and placed second at the U.S. nationals last weekend, said his race experience had helped, "but I'm a little beat up, too."

"I was a little sloppy out of the blocks, but I was able to hold on," he added. "Tyson gave me great competition."

Oliver, the Olympic bronze medalist, equaled Dominique Arnold's national record with his second consecutive lifetime best. He ran 12.93 to win the U.S. championships last Sunday.

Only world record holder Dayron Robles (12.87) of Cuba and China's Liu Xiang have run faster.

"I didn't get a great start but I brought it home," Oliver said.

The American left countryman Ryan Wilson (13.16) well behind in second spot.

Jamaican Veronica Campbell-Brown, the Olympic 200 champion, surprised a talented 100 field with a personal best and season-leading 10.78 seconds to leave her thinking she might double at next year's world championships.

Olympic 100 gold medalist Shelly-Ann Fraser trailed in 10.82, just ahead of American Carmelita Jeter (10.83).

Three other season-leading marks were set.

American world champion Christian Cantwell used a last-effort throw of 22.41 meters to win the shot put, and world indoor 800 meters champion Mariya Savinova of Russia clocked 1:57.56 to beat Olympic 1,500 gold medalist Nancy Langat of Kenya at the shorter distance.

Sudan's Abubaker Kaki added a fifth season-leading mark when he took the infrequently run 1,000 meters in 2:13.62.

Kenyan Olympic 1,500 champion Asbel Kiprop just missed another when he won the mile in 3:49.75.

Olympic long jump champion Irving Saladino of Panama pulled a mild surprise as he used a wind-assisted leap of 8.46 meters to beat U.S. world gold medalist Dwight Phillips (8.41).

Brazilian world indoor gold medalist Fabiana Murer also came out on top, winning the women's pole vault over Polish world champion Anna Rogowska. Both cleared 4.58 meters. U.S. world leader Jenn Shur failed to clear a height.

(Editing by Tony Jimenez/Ian Ransom)

anybody a fan of track and field?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
...? Zero, WTF kind of response is that?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
...? Zero, WTF kind of response is that?
lol, my sorries!. I have been holding onto that pic for like 3 days waiting for a thread to post it in. Supposed to be a joke, but every ones collar is too tight it seems :stooges:

Better pop it then...or maybe two popped collars...maybe 3?

Better yet

I was going through another forum that had tons of threads of pics that make you lol, I HAD to repost em somehow.

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
lol, my sorries!. I have been holding onto that pic for like 3 days waiting for a thread to post it in. Supposed to be a joke, but every ones collar is too tight it seems :stooges:

Better pop it then...or maybe two popped collars...maybe 3?

Better yet

I was going through another forum that had tons of threads of pics that make you lol, I HAD to repost em somehow.
That guy was my roommate in college