What Linux Distro do you use?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So if you use or have used Linux, what distribution do you enjoy?

My personal preference is Novell OpenSuse for home, and work is Novell SLES. And I choose these only for one major reason, their pluggable system tool YAST. YAST makes system management a breeze, and something that people directed people away from Linux in the past (Since they would have to use command line).

Not to mention they always keep up with the most current KDE desktop.

I have used RedHat and Fedora, but Suse is just light years ahead.

Thoughts?

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Cool question to see on these forums! lol..

I started with SuSE maybe 10 years ago, but I didn't like it.

I love Slackware and the whole idea, these days it's Arch Linux.

Ubuntu is great for noobs. KDE is dirty, I'd rather use *any* other wm.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool question to see on these forums! lol..

I started with SuSE maybe 10 years ago, but I didn't like it.

I love Slackware and the whole idea, these days it's Arch Linux.

Ubuntu is great for noobs. KDE is dirty, I'd rather use *any* other wm.
I would mostly agree on KDE, back in the 3.5 era, and even 4.0... pretty much after 4.2 it has blossomed into a beautiful and stable desktop manager. Slackware was great back in the day, was made for simplicity. Now I much prefer RPM based over debian and the such... only recently though, the dependency manager is slick.

Have you played with SuSe since the release of YaST?

P

pansori

Awards
def a noob. i'm using ubuntu. dell supports it for my laptop though so i've never had issues with hardware, thats pretty convenient.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I like Ubuntu for a home OS, simple enough to use and it seems to run pretty well on my desktop. At work I have used a fedora based server that did its job really well, but our network is pretty much all Windows based so it got phased out over time. I have never tried Suse, I'll have to throw it one a VM and give it a try.

G

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Lol. I remember in my college days when I was into hacking wifis I would use BackTrack. heh heh.

I do a lot of graphics design and audio recording now, so there's not much professional quality s/w for linux. I stick with Photoshop and Cakewalk Sonar for PC.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wojo General Chat 8
slow-mun General Chat 3