Is it ever enough?

Dchristo

Awards
I'm just wondering if there's anyone on AM that's content with their size? It seems like everyone I talk to is always looking for "just 10 more lbs of lean muscle" and no matter how big they get they're either on a cycle, or planning they're next cycle. So my question is it ever enough?

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
There's always room for improvement. ;)

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Well you can look at the issue like a dependence issue. People often will think that dependence = chemical abuse, but in reality it can be anything... Shopping, gambling, eating, sex, working out........ the list goes on and on...

So if you get a rush from getting bigger and hitting heavier and heavier weight, you can think of it as the first time you got high. You will never feel like that first time ever again.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm more performance oriented as opposed to aesthetics. While I don't mind additional LBM, it's not my sole desire.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Ooh, oh its neva enough!

But uh...I think I will be very content when I get in the 190 range. I kinda dont wanna break 200, and if I do never go above 205.

There is a great size, and then there is looking awkward for your frame... I enjoy being fast and agile, so that factors in as well.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
As others have said, there's always room for improvement. I don't want to get huge, just keep an athletic build and continue to improve my strength. The muscle will come naturally. At the same time I don't want to get fat and there's always room for improvement with my abs so no, there will never be enough. I figure, as long as I do the work it will be easy to maintain as I get older.

Just have to never let myself go, which most of my peers have done.

Where I live, having the beach close by is also great motivation for staying in shape.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Honestly if I did a couple of cycles of AAS over the next year I could probably get to 240 and still be fairly lean but I have no desire what so ever to be that big......I would rather be 210 and be ripped.....which I am not right now.....need to get leaner.

I like looking good in clothes and looking like I could play any sport.

When I was younger, I wanted just to be BIG! In my career tho, I need to avoid the juicer/gorilla look.....sad to say but it would probably cost me down the road.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I look at my height and say I never want to be over 205. Many people understand that their height has a role in their ideal bodyweight. So there is an enough in the terms of gaining muscle for me and many other people.

It's been proven that clinical depression comes from the accepted idea that the person cannot control their environment around them. Working out and having control over my body and health gives me something to control and feel good about. (You'll never see a clinically depressed person working out lol).

Bottom line, there is enough when it comes to putting on muscle. There is never enough when it comes to working out.

Shane0Mac

Awards
the issue kinda scares me abit, im only 17 and far from my genetic limit, but what happens when i get there is what im worried about. im not sure if i would enjoy working out if i wasnt seeing any progress and i really dont want to be taking any kind of steroid.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have def had enough lol. Got all the way up to 235 and I was like damn this is just too much. The goal now is to get back to 200 but with more LBM than before. At my height it is hard to carry this much weight.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
the issue kinda scares me abit, im only 17 and far from my genetic limit, but what happens when i get there is what im worried about. im not sure if i would enjoy working out if i wasnt seeing any progress and i really dont want to be taking any kind of steroid.
There comes a point in lifting where you must realize, progress is not always about size or crazy lifts.

As you mature it becomes also about health, being injury free, performance in your daily life that is improved by being in shape, etc.

When you reach your genetic limit, add in something like a martial art or another form of physical training that really connects Mind to Body and imbues discipline, one that in which you can always grow. Then the training of your body will have felt like a first foundation upon which you are now building a second, yet must always be vigilante to keep the first one steady less the second one crumble as a result of the first one.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
There comes a point in lifting where you must realize, progress is not always about size or crazy lifts.

As you mature it becomes also about health, being injury free, performance in your daily life that is improved by being in shape, etc.

When you reach your genetic limit, add in something like a martial art or another form of physical training that really connects Mind to Body and imbues discipline, one that in which you can always grow. Then the training of your body will have felt like a first foundation upon which you are now building a second, yet must always be vigilante to keep the first one steady less the second one crumble as a result of the first one.
This is a very learned man.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I agree never enough with working out.... I am currently in a walking cast, ( stress fracture) and I am rocking the boot everyday at the gym......:)

TC

Dcell22

Dcell22

Awards
I feel as though my answer to this ? is both yes n no at the same time. Yes, in that no matter where I'm at in the process I'm thankful/contented that my body is functional, n relatively healthy n strong... and I try to keep in mind that ultimately- this body is an impermanent thing that will pass away into dissolution...though while it is living the body is indeed a temple and a vehicle, and is to be taken care of and at the very least be developed through sufficient exercise and activity. I say No, in that BODYBUILDING is simply an enjoyable and healthy (long as it doesn't veer into obsession, drug abuse etc) hobby and personal challenge for me. I love going to the gym and having a workout session, it's a sanctuary and I miss it on off days- and when I can't get in I can become perturbed lol, it's addicting to me in a sense. But I'm glad I'm in the gym friday night and not the bar for instance lol. I actually love eating good foods and I love finding supps that speed up results and energize me etc. It's gratifying to feel your body grow and harden and to look in the mirror and see positive changes. I feel, though, that it's most satisfying to step back and focus on the process and the journey and be happy as you can along the way... and that in doing so you will inevitably reach heights and destinations and attain results but let that occur without attaching too much to it, or being too anxious for the future. Happiness is a choice we make and an inner state of being, outer successes are just icing on the cake. Life is happening RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW, n no other time n place.

Last edited:
Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established

Tell me about it. I just tore a tricep, two weeks ago. Luckily it wasnt in two pieces, but this time off has me restructuring my lifting goals.

I actually injured myself working about with a 23 y/o kid that has at least 40 pounds on me.

Im 37.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I agree never enough with working out.... I am currently in a walking cast, ( stress fracture) and I am rocking the boot everyday at the gym......:)

TC
Why cant I find a woman like you round here :D they are all drama queens here :sad3:

I feel as though my answer to this ? is both yes n no at the same time. Yes, in that no matter where I'm at in the process I'm thankful/contented that my body is functional, n relatively healthy n strong... and I try to keep in mind that ultimately- this body is an impermanent thing that will pass away into dissolution...though while it is living the body is indeed a temple and a vehicle, and is to be taken care of and at the very least be developed through sufficient exercise and activity. I say No, in that BODYBUILDING is simply an enjoyable and healthy (long as it doesn't veer into obsession, drug abuse etc) hobby and personal challenge for me. I love going to the gym and having a workout session, it's a sanctuary and I miss it on off days- and when I can't get in I can become perturbed lol, it's addicting to me in a sense. But I'm glad I'm in the gym friday night and not the bar for instance lol. I actually love eating good foods and I love finding supps that speed up results and energize me etc. It's gratifying to feel your body grow and harden and to look in the mirror and see positive changes. I feel, though, that it's most satisfying to step back and focus on the process and the journey and be happy as you can along the way... and that in doing so you will inevitably reach heights and destinations and attain results but let that occur without attaching too much to it, or being too anxious for the future. Happiness is a choice we make and an inner state of being, outer successes are just icing on the cake. Life is happening RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW, n no other time n place.
Lifting is a sanctuary. It stopped me from blowing my head off, or killing a certain man 3 years ago. It literally saved my life. It was therapy for all the anger and pain, and showed me to control it. To use it to drive and make personal gains and benefits from it while mastering it. Sadly this has led to many injuries due to over training a few times... Now I cant get angry in the gym, and it sucks lol. I learned to control and get rid of it, and now I cant stay angry long enough in the gym to lift or get pumped :(

Tell me about it. I just tore a tricep, two weeks ago. Luckily it wasnt in two pieces, but this time off has me restructuring my lifting goals.

I actually injured myself working about with a 23 y/o kid that has at least 40 pounds on me.

Im 37.
Sorry to hear that, sometimes you gotta remember when your an old fart :fing02:

haha j/k Sorry man, I hope you have a speedy recover bro. Sounds plenty painful.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Why cant I find a woman like you round here :D they are all drama queens here :sad3:

Lifting is a sanctuary. It stopped me from blowing my head off, or killing a certain man 3 years ago. It literally saved my life. It was therapy for all the anger and pain, and showed me to control it. To use it to drive and make personal gains and benefits from it while mastering it. Sadly this has led to many injuries due to over training a few times... Now I cant get angry in the gym, and it sucks lol. I learned to control and get rid of it, and now I cant stay angry long enough in the gym to lift or get pumped :(

Sorry to hear that, sometimes you gotta remember when your an old fart :fing02:

haha j/k Sorry man, I hope you have a speedy recover bro. Sounds plenty painful.

Why can't I find a guy who can accept me for me, my gym time , my me time.....which is the same, I find my gym time is my only time I have for me so for me to give that up, I can't.....I help people all the time, work, family, strangers.........it's who I am, sadly guys here don't see that or can't see that..........Granted I MAY be a little thick headed in this area but it's ok......

TC

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Why can't I find a guy who can accept me for me, my gym time , my me time.....which is the same, I find my gym time is my only time I have for me so for me to give that up, I can't.....I help people all the time, work, family, strangers.........it's who I am, sadly guys here don't see that or can't see that..........Granted I MAY be a little thick headed in this area but it's ok......

TC
Let me know if you ever move to Ohio, :lol:.

Ladies here are...very fickle, and very fake...

Exposure

Exposure

Awards
Nope, never enough it seems! Join the club haha!