Behavior

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have changed a lot since my teen years but no matter how much I change I still crave self destructive activities. I'm a powerlifter and besides my wife and son lifting is my life. Anyone else struggle with this?

Egilhard

Egilhard

Awards
I can relate to that. I too have gained valuable wisdom as I age but for some reason I can not stay away from these so called self destructive activities. I still get drunk and drive my quad full speed through the woods in the middle of the night, still thinking I'm invincible, even though I've been put in the hospital twice for it. I guess some of us never grow up. =)

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I think at some level we can all still relate to that. For me, I just have to give a thought to my wife and family, and realize what me getting hurt could mean to them, and my stupid thoughts quickly leave my mind.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I would be curious to know how old some of you are, because eventually you will learn. trust me , that indestructable feeling you get is replaced by a fragile feeling from all the crap you put your body through.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Just get a job in demolition and ur good to go

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
I have changed a lot since my teen years but no matter how much I change I still crave self destructive activities. I'm a powerlifter and besides my wife and son lifting is my life. Anyone else struggle with this?
I can definitely relate. But I have also looked at my character defects. The main one w/ the most driving force behind it was selfishness. Driving through the woods at a high rate of speed at night is fun, no doubt. But if a serious crash occurs, you would hurt those you love the most. I don't know if you're married w/ kids or not, but imagine your family members having to care for you in a wheel chair. Bath you. Feed you. Etc. Risky behavior is rooted in selfishness. I wouldn't dare dream of hauling asz on a jet ski in the dark, all tuned up on booze & coke, like I used to. It was fun, but if we're truly growing wiser as we age, then i.m.o. it is the wiser that recognizes this and takes corrective actions. And as a matter of fact, I have more fun now than I ever had in my entire life, and things are 'slow.' Very little drama, no high speed crashes. I've "learned to be still." Lame Eagles quote. The minute I found out my wife was pregnant, instantly I recognized, life ain't about me anymore. Dedicating yourself to the gym, is in essence, dedicating yourself to your life and your families. I'm healthier for it, and increases my odds of longevity, and being there for my wife and son. I'm a better person, employee, friend, etc. because of my simple dedication to iron & eating right. Hell, it's only 6-7 hours a week at a gym. I used to spend 6 hours a day in a bar. My wife is very cool w/ this.