Gym Confessions (yup, I have been that guy)

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I have spent a good amount of time laughing it up at the many threads associated with getting a laugh out of the guys we see at the gym. Well, this morning I realized...hey, I have been that guy a time or two. So, its time to throw it in reverse, and confess when we were "That guy"

What got me thinking is just this morning I was doing curls with an empty curl bar - 4 sets of 50 reps trying to re-hab my bicep tear. I could see a guy looking at me funny like "how are you going to get big doing that?" I realized we all have certain circumstance that make us do things that aren't "cool" in the gym, so I thought I would come clean.

I have...

Done 3" knee bend squats - yup, I hated them

Picked my butt off the bench during a max attempt - oh yeah, I used to get a good arch going back in the day

Curled in the squat rack - oh yes, I still do...but I get there at 5:00am, and am the ONLY person there

stopped and chatted it up with an old friend while hogging a bench

worn a wife-beater to the gym

lifted in jeans

lifted my shirt to check out my abs after a set of crunches

OK, I feel better now :silly:

So, what have you done????????????

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
whats wrong with wifebeaters???? there is nothing worse than lifting in sleeves and having to pull them up etc...

brandon411

brandon411

Awards
funny post! Everybody's guilty of these at one time or another. I live in Vegas so it's hot as hell here. I wear wife beaters all the time. Another I'm guilty of is yelling in the gym, never on purpose though. I used to hate that crap, now I'm that guy. Go figure.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
I have to admit..I'm a habitual wifebeater offender. I also do my heavy barbell curls in a squat rack from time to time....but only if I've got a 45lb or more on each side.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
its one thing if you are white, 110 pounds with a teardrop face tattoo and a doorag... then wifebeater just looks funny with his little stick arms. but us guys that workout not only look good in beaters but its also more comfortable than a tshirt when you sweat and get pumped up.

brandon411

brandon411

Awards
hell yeah, takes to long to lift up the sleeves!

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
hell yeah, takes to long to lift up the sleeves!
This is why I wear a sleeveless shirt lifting. All the benefits, none of the possible douchebag status :p

I hate wearing a tshirt though. Benching it rubs under my armpits, and it's just not comfortable overall.

doingwork30

doingwork30

Awards
I was the guy to do bench and bis every workout.

lilnardey

lilnardey

Awards
  • Established
Before I knew much about hitting the weights, every workout revolved around bench. Keep in mind though I was only 16 at the time.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I have about 25 drip dry extra short sleeve shirts so that's what I wear in the gym. I wouldn't be caught in a beater though.

I've never been that guy or maybe I have. Before I started lifting, I would go to the gym with my buds that did lift and I was the guy that always hung around the gym talking to my buds but never worked out. I was the "what the hell is he in here for" guy.

About 1yr later, I started working out.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I remember 9th grade, before I ever benched, I spotted a guy doing 2 45 plates for about 20 reps. I thought that if he got it 20 times, I know I can get it at least 5 or 6.

I got under the weight and unracked it, crash.....i was pinned in 3 seconds. I immediately started break dancing in an attempt to toss the weight off of my chest. That shiat was scary...lol I thought that I was going to die...

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm the wife beater guy
I'm the guy that looks small but takes all the 45 plates (or was when I was into lifting big)
I'm the guy that works out and eats twix, snickers, peanut butter cups like I do it all day and cant get fat :p (that and I actually crave chocolate when I workout)

I'm just weird

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm the guy that chuckles at your "squats."

I'm also the guy who had an absolutely horrific deadlift when he first started.

I will tell you to get out of the power rack and go curl elsewhere, attempting to be cool about it but probably failing.

I was the guy who thought he was awesome when he could shrug 400lb using straps. Now I know better.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
whats wrong with wifebeaters???? there is nothing worse than lifting in sleeves and having to pull them up etc...
i love lifting in sweat pants and a long sleeve shirt.. keeps the muscles warm and loose threwout personally no need to show off what i got ill save that for out of the gym. gym is strictly buisness... haha not calling u out just its crazy how much we can differ ha

sonny4753

sonny4753

Awards
i love lifting in sweat pants and a long sleeve shirt.. keeps the muscles warm and loose threwout personally no need to show off what i got ill save that for out of the gym. gym is strictly buisness... haha not calling u out just its crazy how much we can differ ha
I read this and agree how we all are different, but are all united in the fact that: day in day out we grind, push, with plates clanking, sweat rolling, music cranked (heavy and loud for me), with an athletic struggle to push to the next level.

Now what you wear while doing it is another story and my opinion is: 'to each his own.'

My worst offense:

1. Dropping some tear gas while squatting (you know those green-fog strategic nuke farts...as in to many fkn eggs that morning LOL)

2. Getting into lengthy discussions about the physics of lifting

3. Losing form causing I'm staring at some chick (fk'd my forearm up on hammers look at one of the many figure girls in my gym...)

4. When I lift with a close buddy of mine (on the rare occassion since he got all domestic and got married PU-c) we end up making each other laugh so hard (while making fun of people mostly) and it kills the workout; I made him laugh so hard once spit flung out of his mouth and hit the mirror in front of us - HILARIOUS - was in tears.

The people next to us were like "LOSERS" LOL LOL

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a Non Homo problem.....Had to put NON-HOMO... Ijust got into bodybuilding like a year and a half ago....When I started going to the gym obviously i wasnt in the best shape of my life.....My problem....I stare!!!! No seriously all those big ass mo'fo's throwing weights around looking that they could consume my 260pound body)at the time) in seconds.) Im not gay, dont like Peni, But I appreciate dudes that are jacked....I find myself ingulfed in there workout...What are they doin that im not ou know...I think I spent 30 full minutes watching this monstyer destroy weights...I was actually more intrigued buy what he was doing that I forgot to workout myself!!

sonny4753

sonny4753

Awards
I have a Non Homo problem.....Im not gay, dont like Peni, But I appreciate dudes that are jacked
Dude, that has got to be one of the funniest opening lines "I have a Non Homo proble" - and you capitalized Non and Homo as if they were pronouns.

I'm in tears...wow, AWESOME!

Oh and "Peni" HAHAHAHAH I nearly snorted my drink up my sinuses....holy freaking funny!

You rock man, that was one funny post.

Shane0Mac

Awards
i used to do chest and bi's every time i went to they gym

i would screw around with my friend there, then we would have bench and bicep curl comps between ourselves

i used to think protein was a load of BS

i never worked my legs

i wore singlets way before i should have

i worked out in jeans

i would blatently flex in the mirror

and sometimes i just stare at people working out

/ douchebagery

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
I am a judge in the gym. I think that because I am an educted lifter and take my workouts dead serious, I judge those who aren't. I look at the guy with 315lbs on the bench press, but only moves his arms 4 inches then gets off the bench and looks around to see who is watching. Instead of just letting it go, I have to think to myself, "what a douche". I am getting mad now thinking about it.

We all need to go see this guy and confess.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
no thanks, that guy looks like hes been looking everywhere for a young boy

Lou villian

Lou villian

Awards
  • Established
I was the guy that followed the Big Guys routines EVERYDAY. I would wait for him to get done then hop on and wait for him to do the next thing. I was completely lost when they were no shows!!

EustisPanther

EustisPanther

Awards
  • Established
I definitely lift my shirt in the gym to check my progress... so yeah I'm "that guy".. but I was 60lbs overweight so I've earned the right to lift my shirt with pride. I don't care if it is douchebagery lol...

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone ever been the "hello" guy?

There is this guy that comes in and NO MATTER when he comes in, morning, mid day, night, he goes to everyone in the gym and goes' "hey man, hello, what's up, how's it going, nice to see ya" extends hand and tries to shake, and with the other hand, pats you on your back...

I swear he takes 30-50 minutes meeting and greeting every "body" in the gym...haha

BMCLouzee

I'm that girl that you can't say "Hi" to because I have BITCH written across my forehead when I lift. I'm actually very nice, but I look like I'll rip your balls off when you get near me. I've been THAT chick that thinks your perverted self has been staring at my ass and will ultimately glance at your direction with pure hate. This can be true or complete disillusion, but I'm pretty sure it's true. I've been that girl that will pick up the weights you've left on the ground and make sure pass by you and put you on a guilt trip. I've been that girl that tries to look tough and finds the skinniest, weakest guy and do more weight and reps to put you in your place. I've been that girl that will intentionally do cardio by the largest person in order to look more fit.

Yeah, I know, I'm horrible.

I heard this guy will relinquish me from evil.

I already told them about all you strapping lads.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Freshman year when we just started lifting for football we had to see what our maxes were on the 3 main lifts
It was my first time under the weights and I was stuggling getting 95 lbs I was one of the weaker ones on the team. I felt like a wimp, but I just kept at it and by senior year I was one of the strongest.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
I've been THAT chick that thinks your perverted self has been staring at my ass and will ultimately glance at your direction with pure hate.

I think if a girl is going to lift in my gym 90% naked (ie: little spandex shorts, tank tops, sports bras, running shorts with a*s hanging out) you are inviting my look. Do I stare? No, but I am a man and will I look. Yes. Dressing like that is asking for attention.

Not saying that is what you do, but that happens in my gym.

Pinky355

Im the guy who fell over in the squat rack. Managed to throw the bar onto the rails as I went down. Was only lifting 275lb on that set but for some reason lost balance. Made a huge racket and looked like a total ****. Some blow ins had a nice laugh behind their hands until a serious lifter told them that no matter how good you are when you get past that balance point there aint no coming back. Even thou I can do alot more I was still very nervous loading it back up for the next set.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I think my funniest moment in the gym was when I was BB shrugging in the power rack. I had just finished up and was taking the weight off....but was on autopilot and asleep at the wheel. I took all the weight off one side. Sure enough as soon as I took off that last plate on the left side the bar slowly started to lift into the air and go the complete 180 degrees until it hit the other power rack next to me.

Luckily, nobody was in that power rack. Still, kinda funny though...some of the regulars that know me and know I'm an advanced lifter saw it happen and laughed at me after I was done picking everything up. I said "well guys it's clear i've been here too long...time to go home."

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I think if a girl is going to lift in my gym 90% naked (ie: little spandex shorts, tank tops, sports bras, running shorts with a*s hanging out) you are inviting my look. Do I stare? No, but I am a man and will I look. Yes. Dressing like that is asking for attention.

yea right?!? how can you possibly expect a man whos already got high testosterone, in the middle of lifting to not notice a great looking female body and stare at it??? you dont wanna be stared at wear a baggy sweatsuit you hater

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established

I stare if they're worth it.

yea right?!? how can you possibly expect a man whos already got high testosterone, in the middle of lifting to not notice a great looking female body and stare at it??? you dont wanna be stared at wear a baggy sweatsuit you hater
haha those hot chicks get me more amped than any supp can.

I myself am guilty of incorrectly spotting people so they won't ask me again.:smite:

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
I work out by myself, I talk to NO ONE. Get it done and get out.

I my mind I'm not that guy, I you eyes, I probably am, lol.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
I wear tank tops/wife beaters 90% of the time when I go to the gym, especially in the summer. Not trying to show off, they're just more comfortable and keep me cooler.

I was the guy who did upper body every time he went to the gym and rarely any leg exercises... and NEVER did squats.

I have done the shirt lift to check out the abs... hey the mirrors in the gym are waaay bigger than what I have at home!

Shane0Mac

Awards
dont ban me for this but i did at one stage want to take NaNo vapor by muscle tech...

IM SORRY

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I'm the wife beater guy
I'm the guy that looks small but takes all the 45 plates (or was when I was into lifting big)
I'm the guy that works out and eats twix, snickers, peanut butter cups like I do it all day and cant get fat :p (that and I actually crave chocolate when I workout)

I'm just weird

Ya...but Black guys always look cool. It's scientifically proven.

Lol...My best friend played D-1 basketball at a notable mid-major school (which I also went to). He was ripped to the freaking bone 24-7 / 365, no matter what. He ate like a freaking pig too. Polished off a can of pringles and half a 2-liter of Dr. Pepper before going off for 20 against Tennessee in the tournament back in 2006. I was like "Dude ur gonna be sick!". Amazing ****!

EustisPanther

EustisPanther

Awards
  • Established
I once forgot to pack a change of clothes for after my shower at the gym. Well I didn't want to put my sweaty clothes back on.. So "I was that guy" lol...

I walked through a packed gym with just my towel on. The worst part was, not the 50 people staring at me, but the regional managers who were walking in as I was coming out of the locker rooms near the back. Man did I feel like a dipsh*t...

rm2211

rm2211

Awards
I once forgot to pack a change of clothes for after my shower at the gym. Well I didn't want to put my sweaty clothes back on.. So "I was that guy" lol...

I walked through a packed gym with just my towel on. The worst part was, not the 50 people staring at me, but the regional managers who were walking in as I was coming out of the locker rooms near the back. Man did I feel like a dipsh*t...
lmfao. thats straight comedy...im guilty of all of the above aswell

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
Ya...but Black guys always look cool. It's scientifically proven.

Lol...My best friend played D-1 basketball at a notable mid-major school (which I also went to). He was ripped to the freaking bone 24-7 / 365, no matter what. He ate like a freaking pig too. Polished off a can of pringles and half a 2-liter of Dr. Pepper before going off for 20 against Tennessee in the tournament back in 2006. I was like "Dude ur gonna be sick!". Amazing ****!
That **** is just not fair. I have a friend that keeps his muscle mass and eats like crap. lucky bastards

EustisPanther

EustisPanther

Awards
  • Established
This one is about a friend of mine... He's in good shape, but he's not a huge guy.. 185ish or so.. But he's always grunting when he lifts. Yelling and sh*t. IDK why it's so funny to me, but I have to turn around to keep from laughing when I workout with him.

Am I the only one who thinks grunting, and yelling, etc. is silly. I get it if you're benching 400 lbs and squatting insane amounts. But I'm talking about weight half that size.. lol.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
This one is about a friend of mine... He's in good shape, but he's not a huge guy.. 185ish or so.. But he's always grunting when he lifts. Yelling and sh*t. IDK why it's so funny to me, but I have to turn around to keep from laughing when I workout with him.

Am I the only one who thinks grunting, and yelling, etc. is silly. I get it if you're benching 400 lbs and squatting insane amounts. But I'm talking about weight half that size.. lol.
I actually hate it when people who harp on those who grunt.

Yeah those guys grunting with 400lb Bench? Thats because its their max...Guess what if your buddies max is 200, guess what he may do since its his max....Grunt.

I mean its pushing it so you can grow. Bow if your talking obsessive grunting yeah, but if your talking exertion grunts eh.

Personally I rarely grunt, I usually do that thing where you blow air out really fast. THe silent grunt lol.

But its proven in Martial Arts, a Kyah(spelling?) causes the user to generate more force. A Kyah is a deep and quick yell, think Bruce Lees chicken squawk. He wasnt benching 500lbs... But they have an actual purpose, you can connect with more power.

IT applies to lifting, it allows them to exert more. I mean if they pay their 40 bucks for the gym that month, its their right.

And this is as someone who does not grunt, but man...people are there to grow if they are not hurting themselves or being D*bags then what else is there?

EustisPanther

EustisPanther

Awards
  • Established
I mean EXCESSIVE noise.. Not the typical grunts under strain. I don't know people that don't make some sort of noise. I'm talking SO much noise you can hear it clear across the gym. At least 80 ft away like it's right next to you.

I completely agree with you.. But I'm really talking about an asinine amount of noise.

thenomad

thenomad

Awards
  • Established
Racked the bar and took all the weights off one side of the bar after a heavy set of dealifts, fell to the side and the bar knocked my buddy over:) (he should have been clearing that side anyways)

If i know you, i am definitely coming to share a protein fart with you if we are in the gym at the same time.

I just lost 30lbs over the past 3.5 months, so now i am a dood that lifts his shirt to check the abs (measly four pack, but it's way better than a dang keg!)

I'm the guy who will stand about 1.5 feet behind you and stare at you in the mirror if you are doing BB curls on the squat rack and it's my leg day.

I have brought food to the gym and ate while lifting.

I have been pantsed at the gym.

I have pantsed people at the gym.

I was the dood that would watch people eff up excercises, go do the exercise after them with more weight, excellent form, and loud noises, so that person would notice me. Pretty douche-magouche of me

brownieapple

brownieapple

Awards
meh. this is going to make me look like an ass. so take it easy on me fellas. remember im sorta-ish new to this.

i just maxed at 225 on bench this past week. and just two weeks before i was the kid who dumped 185. had it for 3 reps and it just came down wrong any my buddy couldn't spot it. and it just kinda tumpped over like a bag of bricks. funny thing is i didn't feel like an ass afterward.since i rarely ever see anyone ever go bigger than 135.

isnt really a d-bag kinda story but just a one of those guys kinda thing.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Dress like a slut/piece of meat, get treated like a slut/piece of meat. Simple rules of engagement.

I cant find women who dress with most of their body showing to actually be worth anything more than "flings", but thats because I find it hard to be serious with girls who have no self respect:eek5: