Getting Married.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
I just want to start off by saying that I'm not getting married and this isn't about getting cold feet or getting older and feeling like I have to get married soon.

I don't understand the draw to get married. In my mind if two people are happy and in a committed relationship for many years then why must there be another title to have (married)? Why can't they just be happy with it the way things are? I see my friends getting married and it doesn't bother me until I see them having real issues about dumb **** that never used to be a problem when they were in a relationship. It seems that the married title brings on a whole list of issues.

I'm not saying marriage is a bad thing by any means either. My parents are divorced but plenty of my other relatives have been married to one person their entire lives and seem to enjoy it.

The thing that got me thinking of this is that I have a daughter now (shes 4 months old) and me and her mother have decided to give it a go at dating again. We were not together when I found out she was pregnant, but I was there for her and I am always there for my daughter. Anyway, she wants to get married and I really have never wanted to. She claims that she wants Payson (our daughter) to have a normal family". But normal is what you make it. There are plenty of people that have grown up perfectly normal with different types of family structures. Two parents don't have to be married to raise a well-adjusted child, they would need to get along. But as long as they get along (which her mother and I do) I think Payson should be fine.

I digress. What I want is some input about this topic (marriage). From people who are married, both men and women. As well as people that have been divorced or never plan to get married. The Question: why do people get married, or never marry and what are the benefits over being in a committed long term relationship v. marriage. And if you want to give other input I won't hold it against you. :)

Thanks - Nate

EctoMeso

Well i dont have much to say, but i think its all hype a lil bit i dont really see the big idea.. BUT!! in saying all that im getting married in 3weeks, so ill let u know hahaha...

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
Well i dont have much to say, but i think its all hype a lil bit i dont really see the big idea.. BUT!! in saying all that im getting married in 3weeks, so ill let u know hahaha...
haha well congrats non the less.

bigdognhb

Awards
So I'll make the disclaimer that Im not married. I do like the idea of it and probably will get married one day. I do think that it has lost its importance in todays society. Its too easy just to give up and get a divorced. I think views on it are shaped by how we grew up. I am lucky enough that both my grandparents and my parents are still married. If your thinking about doing it just make sure its because you truely love the person. Like you said. You have been there for your ex and daughter since you found out she was pregnant. No matter what your daughter will know that you love her. But Ive never been a fan of the idea of getting married for kids, or staying together because of the kids.

EustisPanther

EustisPanther

Awards
  • Established
Forget mainstream beliefs. Live your own life. If you love someone, a simple title isn't going to make or break a relationship.

I see myself getting married someday , but who knows. My parents went through a nasty divorce and haven't spoken in 6 years, dad's remarried, mom won't ever get married again. Who says marriage is for everyone. I say f*ck it. Live your life the way you want and screw everyone else.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
I don't know whether I'll ever get married or not, been to a crapload of weddings and it just doesn't seem like something I would be happy with at this point in my life (LOVING the single life! Dating > marriage, in my opinion!). It does annoy me when people pressure others to get married though... and usually it's married people that you see pressuring others. I agree with what EustisPanther said above about living your life the way you want and that if you love someone a simple title is not going to make or break a relationship.

For the sake of discussion, and from a podcast I was listening to I would like to bring this up though:

Ask yourself or your friends this:

Do you think that it's in our nature as human beings to pair-bond/pair up with someone for life? If it was in our nature, would the the word and concept of "marriage" even exist? Wouldn't it be something that we just did naturally, without even thinking about it, labeling it in the way that we do, and taking the extra effort to stay with one person for the rest of our lives?

Just something to think about, though we also have to realize that being human it's also in our nature to attempt to create rules and judgements for people in our society, regardless of what's in our "nature", which separates us from the animals.

Dchristo

Awards
Pro of marriage-tax break
Con of marriage-one vagina for the rest of your life

Havocc

Awards
Nate

The best advice I can give you is decide what YOU want relationship wise and stick with it. Listen to what others say and make your own decisions about what you do/don't want.

I was raised in a Catholic family where both my parents and grandparents are still married. I'm expected by them to find one girl, get married, get her pregnant and start a family. Well that just ain't me. It took a couple of failed relationships for me to figure this out but now I'm much happier knowing exactly what I want in a relationship and life.

Just be up front with the girl when she starts with the relationship talk. Tell her how you feel about it and let her decide if she wants to stay with you or not.

Goodluck

Havocc

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
So I'll make the disclaimer that Im not married. I do like the idea of it and probably will get married one day. I do think that it has lost its importance in todays society. Its too easy just to give up and get a divorced. I think views on it are shaped by how we grew up. I am lucky enough that both my grandparents and my parents are still married. If your thinking about doing it just make sure its because you truely love the person. Like you said. You have been there for your ex and daughter since you found out she was pregnant. No matter what your daughter will know that you love her. But Ive never been a fan of the idea of getting married for kids, or staying together because of the kids.
Well I don't like the idea of marriage for the kids, I think she would be able to tell that I didn't love her mother the way other parents love each other when she was older. I have love for her, but don't really know if I can love seeing as how we dated for a while 8 months), but I wasn't in love with her then either, hence the reason why I broke it off.

Forget mainstream beliefs. Live your own life. If you love someone, a simple title isn't going to make or break a relationship.

I see myself getting married someday , but who knows. My parents went through a nasty divorce and haven't spoken in 6 years, dad's remarried, mom won't ever get married again. Who says marriage is for everyone. I say f*ck it. Live your life the way you want and screw everyone else.
agreed.

I don't know whether I'll ever get married or not, been to a crapload of weddings and it just doesn't seem like something I would be happy with at this point in my life (LOVING the single life! Dating > marriage, in my opinion!). It does annoy me when people pressure others to get married though... and usually it's married people that you see pressuring others. I agree with what EustisPanther said above about living your life the way you want and that if you love someone a simple title is not going to make or break a relationship.

For the sake of discussion, and from a podcast I was listening to I would like to bring this up though:

Ask yourself or your friends this:

Do you think that it's in our nature as human beings to pair-bond/pair up with someone for life? If it was in our nature, would the the word and concept of "marriage" even exist? Wouldn't it be something that we just did naturally, without even thinking about it, labeling it in the way that we do, and taking the extra effort to stay with one person for the rest of our lives?

Just something to think about, though we also have to realize that being human it's also in our nature to attempt to create rules and judgements for people in our society, regardless of what's in our "nature", which separates us from the animals.

I've thought of this a whole lot in the past few years. I was really in love w/ a former gf and she talked about marriage and I still had this thought in the back of my mind. I don't know if people are supposed to be with one person forever. A good amount of animals aren't just with one mate forever, but we're human so we should be able to act differently and control our urges (I've seen and answer phrased that way) And then I've seen people saying that its "our primal way" to want as many mates as we can have.

In short. I don't know the answer maybe its just different for different people but I'm pretty sure there are VERY few women that eventually don't want this title after being with someone for a long time, or even a short time sometimes (which I still don't understand what it changes).

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Men have the biological imperative to spread their seed as far and wide as they can. Women have the biological imperative to separately get pregnant from the best seed as well as to find someone to be the provider + protector for her offspring.

That all said, any of your friends who suddenly had issues just after getting married had to have changed other things as well in their lives together. the mere title doesnt change anything, but if they suddenly decided to share a checking account for instance, or something along those lines then it could start leading to further arguments. After all, its cheaper to have "employee + spouse" for insurance, but whose check does it come out of? etc.

Vtaper

Awards
Hey Nate, im divorced but am engaged currently. It will always come down to your preferance but I believe if you meet the right girl, you will know something is different and you may suddenly want to. BTW How old are you?

When I got married I was not 100% sure it was the right thing to do. I though it would stabalize and strengthen our relationship but it didnt, it has to be there before you make the commitment.

So it might not be you, it might just be the women your choosing, but what I can tell you from my experience is that it will not "fix" a relationship that your unsure of, but when you meet the right person you will know, it will still be a big deal(the idea of getting married), but it will be exciting not intimidating. Good luck man

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
Hey Nate, im divorced but am engaged currently. It will always come down to your preferance but I believe if you meet the right girl, you will know something is different and you may suddenly want to. BTW How old are you?

When I got married I was not 100% sure it was the right thing to do. I though it would stabalize and strengthen our relationship but it didnt, it has to be there before you make the commitment.

So it might not be you, it might just be the women your choosing, but what I can tell you from my experience is that it will not "fix" a relationship that your unsure of, but when you meet the right person you will know, it will still be a big deal(the idea of getting married), but it will be exciting not intimidating. Good luck man
thx for the input. and i'm 24

Dchristo

Awards
I knew this girl who told me she wanted to wait till she was married to get intimate. Respecting her wishes I agreed to wait. After the wedding I excitedly inquired about our agreement........... She told me NO she couldn't cause she didn't want to cheat on her husband! WTF Right?! Lyin b***h! he he ha ha

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Now this is opinion, and based off of the last 2000 years and not this new trend...

Reason 1 for marriage: An "intimate" relationship will not be blessed by God if it is not just in his eyes. Therefore

Reason 2 for marriage: It does provide a healthy "normal" life for a child. It is not "what you make it". For some of us(I am guessing you) and even me, anything can be accepted for normal. But remember you do no yet know your child's future personality. And wheter or not they can accept that as normal highly depends on that fact alone. Some can, some develop sever disorders or a complex over it. (One of the reasons of "girls with daddy issues").

Reason 3 for marriage: Trust in one another and a "commitment", as in a bond that shows your trust that you both believe in your love. Marriage has a very strong psychological impact on the emotions of those partaking in it.

Now onto the facts, as is stated. If you dont Love her, dont marry her. Then you will take away chances of your kid having a normal life because both you and the mother will end up miserable. But if you do lover her, marry her. There should be no issue.

Relationships that are not bonded by marriage teach that love is "disposable". Regardless what anyone will come in ranting about that comment, it has become a proven truth. Look at our society and how many women are nothing more than cum dumpsters, and how many men have multiple kids with different women, etc. Each generation of kids is growing up more screwed up than the last do to these things.

That is all of my opinion and input, bust of luck and may your choices be inspired and guided by someone far greater than us.

bradleywiens

bradleywiens

Awards
  • Established
Now this is opinion, and based off of the last 2000 years and not this new trend...

Reason 1 for marriage: An "intimate" relationship will not be blessed by God if it is not just in his eyes. Therefore

Reason 2 for marriage: It does provide a healthy "normal" life for a child. It is not "what you make it". For some of us(I am guessing you) and even me, anything can be accepted for normal. But remember you do no yet know your child's future personality. And wheter or not they can accept that as normal highly depends on that fact alone. Some can, some develop sever disorders or a complex over it. (One of the reasons of "girls with daddy issues").

Reason 3 for marriage: Trust in one another and a "commitment", as in a bond that shows your trust that you both believe in your love. Marriage has a very strong psychological impact on the emotions of those partaking in it.

Now onto the facts, as is stated. If you dont Love her, dont marry her. Then you will take away chances of your kid having a normal life because both you and the mother will end up miserable. But if you do lover her, marry her. There should be no issue.

Relationships that are not bonded by marriage teach that love is "disposable". Regardless what anyone will come in ranting about that comment, it has become a proven truth. Look at our society and how many women are nothing more than cum dumpsters, and how many men have multiple kids with different women, etc. Each generation of kids is growing up more screwed up than the last do to these things.

That is all of my opinion and input, bust of luck and may your choices be inspired and guided by someone far greater than us.
Right on the money man!

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established

What about the screwed up kids that come from married couples? I completely disagree with reason 2 because there's too many exceptions. Good kids can come from all types of different homes, just as screwed up kids can come from all types. Good or bad parenting is all that one comes down to, and it can go either way in single or double parent situations. I agree that individuals themselves have to own up to how they develop as well. There's just too many factors that go into it rather than whether mom and dad are married. Some people just... shouldn't have kids with the way they let them behave lol.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established

Why does God consider marriage just and not a committed relationship that lasts a lifetime. Lets say this: both people live together and are committed to each other for the rest of their life and both believe in God, go to church and all that jazz. What is the difference?

Relationships that are not bonded in marriage do not teach that love is disposable. Love is different for everyone to some there will always be another to love while others believe there is one and only one person that they can every truly love. And to those people I find it hard to believe that love is disposable.

Family is exactly what I said "what you make it" I have friends that have no living parents or have never met their true parents and to those friends their family are their friends families or friends (ex: me and my parents) and that "family" (even though it might not be a real family to you) is their real family and would do anything and everything for them.

"Trust and commitment" are not proven with a marriage you can show both with out a ring, certificate and tax exemptions. (last part is joking but my point remains the same)

So if I don't marry her then my child will be miserable, and I'll take away her chances of a normal life. Not to get snippy but what qualifications do you have to talk about the life impacts of divorce or having two parents that do not live together? Or is this speculation.

I grew up completely fine because of the work that both my parents put into my upringing, and they went through a horrible divorce when I was in 3rd grade.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What about the screwed up kids that come from married couples? I completely disagree with reason 2 because there's too many exceptions. Good kids can come from all types of different homes, just as screwed up kids can come from all types. Good or bad parenting is all that one comes down to, and it can go either way in single or double parent situations. I agree that individuals themselves have to own up to how they develop as well. There's just too many factors that go into it rather than whether mom and dad are married. Some people just... shouldn't have kids with the way they let them behave lol.
I would tend to agree though that Zero V is at least partially right on this one (and I hate to do that) in that odds are better of more well adjusted kids from a no-divorce 2 different sex parent marriage than any of the other family groupings. How much better, exact %s who knows.

Yes you get screwed up children from any bad situation, of course you do when there are around 130 million births a year. Whether the parents are married or not some will turn out bad its just statistics.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Why does God consider marriage just and not a committed relationship that lasts a lifetime. Lets say this: both people live together and are committed to each other for the rest of their life and both believe in God, go to church and all that jazz. What is the difference?

Relationships that are not bonded in marriage do not teach that love is disposable. Love is different for everyone to some there will always be another to love while others believe there is one and only one person that they can every truly love. And to those people I find it hard to believe that love is disposable.

Family is exactly what I said "what you make it" I have friends that have no living parents or have never met their true parents and to those friends their family are their friends families or friends (ex: me and my parents) and that "family" (even though it might not be a real family to you) is their real family and would do anything and everything for them.

"Trust and commitment" are not proven with a marriage you can show both with out a ring, certificate and tax exemptions. (last part is joking but my point remains the same)

So if I don't marry her then my child will be miserable, and I'll take away her chances of a normal life. Not to get snippy but what qualifications do you have to talk about the life impacts of divorce or having two parents that do not live together? Or is this speculation.

I grew up completely fine because of the work that both my parents put into my upringing, and they went through a horrible divorce when I was in 3rd grade.
Said they were opinions, and said they were factors. I did not say it would strip entirely your child's chances. I simply stated what is the most "productive and optimistic" route that can be taken. And when it comes to divorced parents, I have seen alot happen to my friends with this situation. Actually only seen a few turn out able to have functional relationships that had separated or divorced parents...

As for the God issue, well that is between you and him I am not here to preach. I am trying to "adjust" my presence on this board, and establish a more appropriate representation of my belief without upsetting too many people. If you want a more in depth breakdown of the Bible's take on it, and the scriptures and sections to read, or the Christian concepts, PM me. This is my new rule. Unless a thread is openly dedicated to religious discussion.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I plan to get married one day to my girlfriend. I love her dearly. Besides the spiritual beliefs I have regarding it, I want to have a family, and I want us both to be there for our children. If we can be there for each other, and commit and work to having a good and healthy relationship, then I believe that will get passed on to our children. Who will thus have better relationships and understanding with the people in their lives.

To me, marriage and children are a step toward spiritual enlightenment. Granted, I may have a different opinion after being married for 5 years and/or after having a few of my own spawn. But I'm trying to stay positive here.

BigNutz

BigNutz

Awards
  • Established
Men have the biological imperative to spread their seed as far and wide as they can. Women have the biological imperative to separately get pregnant from the best seed as well as to find someone to be the provider + protector for her offspring.

All the girls call me "Best Seed". :silly:

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Said they were opinions, and said they were factors. I did not say it would strip entirely your child's chances. I simply stated what is the most "productive and optimistic" route that can be taken. And when it comes to divorced parents, I have seen alot happen to my friends with this situation. Actually only seen a few turn out able to have functional relationships that had separated or divorced parents...

As for the God issue, well that is between you and him I am not here to preach. I am trying to "adjust" my presence on this board, and establish a more appropriate representation of my belief without upsetting too many people. If you want a more in depth breakdown of the Bible's take on it, and the scriptures and sections to read, or the Christian concepts, PM me. This is my new rule. Unless a thread is openly dedicated to religious discussion.
I think you hit it spot on. Marriage is sacred....and it doesn't just represent a union between two people. It represents a union of two souls into one spirit.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I'm 35, a woman and I have no plans to marry in the near future, or have children, (my own reasons) but in the meantime I am going for my second degree and living life, if it happens we shall see, but I see it alot in my girlfriends, who settle for someone who isent there ideal or even someone that should be considered, ( My good friend's boyfriend gave her a empty ring box with a IOU in it)....I mean laughable.....

I say live your life, and it will all fall into place....:)

TC

BigNutz

BigNutz

Awards
  • Established
( My good friend's boyfriend gave her a empty ring box with a IOU in it
TC
Oh, that made me laugh! What was that guy thinking??? She'll think its charming. LOL. That guy needs to realize movies like Knocked Up have nothing to do with reality.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Oh, that made me laugh! What was that guy thinking??? She'll think its charming. LOL. That guy needs to realize movies like Knocked Up have nothing to do with reality.
I agree, sadly when she told me how he did it I was less than accepting of this news given the way, lots of other factors as well but that to me, really ......Funny is she just filled out a registery, I wanted to ask her, "did you put an engagement ring on the list to?" but alas even I'm not that mean.....:)

TC

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
“Marriage is not a noun; it’s a verb. It isn’t something you get. It’s something you do. It’s the way you love your partner every day.” ― Barbara De Angelis

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
It's up to you! Live your life as you want it to be, if you are not sure what you are getting into then don't do it! Regret is one thing that you can never take back!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
It's up to you! Live your life as you want it to be, if you are not sure what you are getting into then don't do it! Regret is one thing that you can never take back!
Regret is the pedestal upon which wisdom is crafted. It then becomes nothing more than a raw material that has its essence used up, no longer in existence, only showing through knowledge brought forth by its time in the heart.