marijuana tolerance

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
So I am looking to smoke out more than I have in the past. Is marijuana tolerance more a psychological problem of getting used to it or a physical thing?

khakiman

Awards
its physical in my experience, like caffeine.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
There are cannabinoid receptors. With any receptor, when you saturate it with an agonist, the body produces fewer receptors. If you take an antagonist the body produces more receptors and you become more sensitive. I don't think being on a CB1 antagonist is particularly fun. However, after a short time on a CB1 antagonist you would be SUPER sensitive to THC.

khakiman

Awards
maybe memantine would reduce tolerance to weed like it does amphetamines and benzos? i know that being on 2.5mg EOD of deprenyl seems to work good for my marijuana tolerance.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Is there a reason your "looking to smoke out more, than in the past"?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Is there a reason your "looking to smoke out more, than in the past"?
Thanks for asking. I have a few reasons. Helps with joints, helps relax to sleep when my house is noizy(spelling) and although this wasnt my life plan, I'm still living with my parents at the age of 24. I know I'm not that old, but my 32yo brother just got out of jail, and he has the room with all the privacy. If I ever whant to be a sexual creature, I'm gonna need some type of social lubricant so that Im not a paranoid mess over the fact that I basically can't have a private conversation without whispering.

By the way, I used to only smoke like once a month, so Im still not neccesarily planning on becoming a stoner.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
heard/read somewhere that 7,8 benzoflavone(like in sustain alpha) lowers tolerance.

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
I know that there are medical benefits on using MJ but abusing it can cause damage to your brain.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
heard/read somewhere that 7,8 benzoflavone(like in sustain alpha) lowers tolerance.
Interesting. I assume this is broscience, right? No studies about MJ and sustain alpha, right?

I know that there are medical benefits on using MJ but abusing it can cause damage to your brain.
I think the damage is short term but I agree. If things aren't going well in life i do not recommend smoking more pot as a solution.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not necessarily true.

You can smoke every day for years, come off of it and you'll be back to normal in a week or so. Then after a month you'll be completely clean. There has never been a legit study to definitely show that MJ use damages brain tissue. Now, studies they did on MJ way back in the day were used mostly for propaganda, so it was common to hear that MJ use caused all kinds of problems. This is one of the biggest reasons why it's illegal... Propaganda. Go watch that film called "Reefer Madness." They basically said that if you used MJ you were likely to go ****ing nuts. It's kind of funny, but kind of ****ty because of the negative stigma it put on MJ.

I've been drunk and I've been really high plenty of times. I can tell you that without a shadow of a doubt that I could NEVER get as messed up on pot as I could on alcohol. Even if you're just "buzzed" off of alcohol, you'll be more messed up than if you were super high. Even if you're smoking really potent stuff and it's your first time, you won't get as messed up as you would if you were to get drunk. The best thing about pot is that after you're high and you come down, that's it, you don't have a hangover; maybe a little sleepiness, but wow, that's it. I'm sure most of you know the after effects of alcohol. Hell, if you just smoke every once in a while you usually feel great the next day.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I've been drunk and I've been really high plenty of times. I can tell you that without a shadow of a doubt that I could NEVER get as messed up on pot as I could on alcohol. Even if you're just "buzzed" off of alcohol, you'll be more messed up than if you were super high. Even if you're smoking really potent stuff and it's your first time, you won't get as messed up as you would if you were to get drunk. The best thing about pot is that after you're high and you come down, that's it, you don't have a hangover; maybe a little sleepiness, but wow, that's it. I'm sure most of you know the after effects of alcohol. Hell, if you just smoke every once in a while you usually feel great the next day.
I agree, I have done both. Alcohol being far more potent than the herb I have lit in my past. That being said, the stuff I did light was the best available on the market...(had a guy from vegas as a buddy at the time who only went high end and was only a party/stoner type).

Some people can do it very responsibly. And you can tell when someone comes into work after drinking a 12 pack the night before, you cant tell who lit up a couple J's and relaxed. Hell some of the most intelligent people I know smoke just to slow their thoughts, relax their mind, and yet they are still computer geniuses and can build one from the ground up while high. Lets see someone do that properly after 10 rounds with Jose.

The only reason it is illegal is because it can grow in almost any circumstance, can be used as an alternative to paper, and is linked to Many medical "points of interest" even to being able to "freeze" cancer if a certain extract of it is used.

Anything that beneficial and cheap is instantly banned because the people in charge cant make $$ ripping people off.

Rumor I heard was Cali (our Governator) is looking into legalizing it soon. Which when it does, step by step the rest of the states will. Honestly when its legal, I may hit it up again every once in awhile. But in its current illegal state, I wont touch it.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for asking. I have a few reasons. Helps with joints, helps relax to sleep when my house is noizy(spelling) and although this wasnt my life plan, I'm still living with my parents at the age of 24. I know I'm not that old, but my 32yo brother just got out of jail, and he has the room with all the privacy. If I ever whant to be a sexual creature, I'm gonna need some type of social lubricant so that Im not a paranoid mess over the fact that I basically can't have a private conversation without whispering.

By the way, I used to only smoke like once a month, so Im still not neccesarily planning on becoming a stoner.
Also my friend, do not stress over this...

Ask around and you will be surprised how many people are in your position thanks to the economy and hard times. I am 23 still have a room with my parents(though should be moved out withing the next 4-6) and am going through some hellish times and have to make certain live moves that will effect me for the rest of this life financially, just to survive.

Dont turn to any substance to cope though bro. Use lifting, or develop some skills in different areas. It will all come to pass. As a man who has been counselling me said, "This too shall pass", for he was there for me when my hell began 4 years ago.

If you need to talk, well I think I can feel you on your situation.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
brain damage occured in studies where monkeys smoked (continuously) up to 80 joints through a gas mask without being given any outside air to breathe. you can smoke that much oregano and i bet your brain will never be the same.

timmmah

timmmah

Awards
  • Established
When a drug causes the dopamine receptors to fire off without regular stimulus (eating, getting laid, watching your kid walk for the first time,etc..) the dopamine receptors don't work as well for the normal aspects of life.
Pot is fun times but let's not kid ourselves, it's a drug that causes brain damage.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Moderation is the key to enjoyment, at least in my experience.:fest30:

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I think this is the study... or I'm just reading it wrong...

Drug/substance reversal effects of a novel tri-substituted benzoflavone moiety (BZF) isolated from Passiflora incarnata Linn.--a brief perspective.
Dhawan K.

University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab Univesity, Chandigarh, India. [email protected]

Abstract
The present work is a mini-review of the author's original work on the plant Passiflora incarnata Linn., which is used in several parts of the world as a traditional medicine for the management of anxiety, insomnia, epilepsy and morphine addiction. A tri-substituted benzoflavone moiety (BZF) has been isolated from the bioactive methanol extract of this plant, which has been proposed in the author's earlier work to be responsible for the biological activities of this plant. The BZF moiety has exhibited significantly encouraging results in the reversal of tolerance and dependence of several addiction-prone psychotropic drugs, including morphine, nicotine, ethanol, diazepam and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, during earlier pharmacological studies conducted by the author. In addition to this, the BZF moiety has exhibited aphrodisiac, libido-enhancing and virility-enhancing properties in 2-year-old male rats. When administered concomitantly with nicotine, ethanol and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol for 30 days in male rats, the BZF also prevented the drug-induced decline in sexuality in male rats. Because the BZF moiety isolated from P. incarnata is a tri-substituted derivative of alpha-naphthoflavone (7,8-benzoflavone), a well-known aromatase-enzyme inhibitor, the mode of action of BZF has been postulated to be a neurosteroidal mechanism vide in which the BZF moiety prevents the metabolic degradation of testosterone and upregulates blood - testosterone levels in the body. As several flavonoids (e.g. chrysin, apigenin) and other phytoconstituents also possess aromatase-inhibiting properties, and the IC50 value of such phytomoieties is the main factor determining their biochemical efficacy, by altering their chemical structures to attain a desirable IC50 value new insights in medical therapeutics can be attained, keeping in view the menace of drug abuse worldwide.

PMID: 14690874 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Here's another:

Reversal of cannabinoids (delta9-THC) by the benzoflavone moiety from methanol extract of Passiflora incarnata Linneaus in mice: a possible therapy for cannabinoid addiction.

Dhawan K, Kumar S, Sharma A.

Pharmacognosy Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India.

The newly reported benzoflavone moiety from the plant Passiflora incarnata Linneaus has been evaluated in light of traditional reports on the use of P. incarnata in breaking down cannabis addiction. In the modern or allopathic system of therapeutics, there has been no suitable remedy to combat the severe withdrawal effects of various cannabis products, including marihuana, marijuana, bhang, hashish, ganja, etc., the world-wide consumption of which has attained alarming proportions especially among the younger generation. Mice were given a 10-mg-kg(-1) twice-daily dose of delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta9-THC) by mouth for six days to make them dependent upon cannabinoids. Concurrently, other groups of mice were administered delta9-THC along with a 10- or 20-mg-kg(-1) twice-daily dose of the benzoflavone moiety from P. incarnata orally for 6 days. Upon measuring locomotor activity during the treatment regimen, it was noticed that the mice receiving the P. incarnata extract and delta9-THC together developed significantly less tolerance and dependence, relative to the mice receiving delta9-THC alone. Upon administration of SR-141716A, a selective cannabinoid-receptor antagonist (10 mg kg(-1), p.o.) to all the groups of mice on the 7th day, an artificial withdrawal was produced due to an abrupt decline of delta9-THC levels in mouse brain. However, the typical withdrawal effects like paw tremors and head shakes were significantly less in the mice given delta9-THC+P. incarnata benzoflavone moiety for 6 days. Upon administration of 20 mg kg(-1) of the P. incarnata benzoflavone moiety to mice showing severe symptoms of withdrawal due to administration of SR-141716A, there was a marked attenuation of withdrawal effects, thereby suggesting the usefulness of the benzoflavone moiety in delta9-THC withdrawal. Thus, the benzoflavone moiety of P. incarnata, when administered concurrently with delta9-THC, prevented the development of tolerance and dependence of cannabinoids in mice. Even an acute administration of the benzoflavone moiety (20 mg kg(-1), p.o.) significantly blocked the expression of withdrawal effects in delta9-THC-dependent mice.

Publication Types:

* Comparative Study
* Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

PMID: 12079005 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12079005?dopt=Abstract

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna start doing some more research on this benzoflavone moiety

TxHomeGrown

Awards
Nothing better for relaxing before bed and ensuring a good night's sleep. :)
Except weed actually prevents REM sleep. Buzzkill!!!!!!!!!!!

I <3 da herb but yeah you'll get a tolerance, much more mentally than physically. if you're smoking good **** you won't get tolerant of it unless you're smoking yourself retarded consistently on a daily basis.

i'm on probation so I have to stick to my own JWH blend, which is not yet illegal. YET :drive: i don't know how many of the guys here would be interested but we just started manufacturing and are going to launch the product in a few weeks. real american broski's making real american fake ganja, right here in the good ol' US of A. we'll throw out some samples and it'll be a lot cheaper than that euro BS in all the headshops now. just pm me if you're interested, i know a lot of dudes here might be

btw OP made me laugh, i needed that after work so thank you

TxHomeGrown

Awards
I thought the legal herb blends that work were no longer legal in US and was mostly a U.K. thing?
No sir. The analogue act pertains to substances that are sold for human consumption. As long as the product is sold with a disclaimer that says, "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION" the analogue act does not apply. It's kind of like head shops selling pipes/bongs for tobacco use only

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha.. I just pictured the following:

Hey man got a source for some bud online?
Shh..you cant mention sources on these boards, just google "research plants," and you will find everything you need.

This lifestyle makes me feel more shady by the minute lol

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
legal buds...what a tease!! I dont think i could do it, i would probably just stop if I was on probation.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I think constant use has left my brain producing very little dopamine of its own.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I think constant use has left my brain producing very little dopamine of its own.
me too. today is day 1 of stopping/detox. its been at least 4 years of everyday use. my brain is acting weird and this $hit is costing too much money. oh man this week is gonna be rough...

timmmah

timmmah

Awards
  • Established
I quit the same way about 4 years ago. It was like something was missing at first and sucked at night, but after a couple weeks I realized when I was always high, I missed out on reality. It's like a cloud was lifted from my head when I quit. Stick with it dude

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I quit the same way about 4 years ago. It was like something was missing at first and sucked at night, but after a couple weeks I realized when I was always high, I missed out on reality. It's like a cloud was lifted from my head when I quit. Stick with it dude
thanks man, took me about 2 hours to fall asleep last night. i made sure i sweated out an extra bucket of sweat at BJJ. im feeling pretty $hitty now, I gotta get away from this environment because most people I hang out with smoke. im drinking gallons and gallons of water, started doing apple cider vinegar, high dosing vitamin C, gonna go pick up some valerian root today. anyone else have any tips? sorry this is off topic

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Can't wait to go home and rip a bong. :439:

My tolerance is nothing compared to what it used to be. Back in high school i'd smoke before school, at lunch, and after school.

But now I get really awesome weed (back then was just mid-grade)...**** is like crack i just take a few hits and i'm high as a motherf*cker.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
whats everyone eating later?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
thanks man, took me about 2 hours to fall asleep last night. i made sure i sweated out an extra bucket of sweat at BJJ. im feeling pretty $hitty now, I gotta get away from this environment because most people I hang out with smoke. im drinking gallons and gallons of water, started doing apple cider vinegar, high dosing vitamin C, gonna go pick up some valerian root today. anyone else have any tips? sorry this is off topic
im apprehensive to mention this but phenibut might help. i had a bad experience on this stuff only cause i was taking a s******* every day and then just stopped without tapering off and had a bad crash for like 2 weeks. anyway, the stuff itself is pretty awesome.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
ahhhhh day 3 is the worst. im at work and im PMSing like a teenage girl, just almost choked this dude out that i cant stand. im seriously going thru a real withdrawal. there is so much in my system its gonna take at least until the end of the week.... :( :( :( :(

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
as much as you guys all love it and I used to love it until now, if you have any thoughts about quitting do it now, dont wait. /end negative post

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
as much as you guys all love it and I used to love it until now, if you have any thoughts about quitting do it now, dont wait. /end negative post
good luck bro - my prayers are with you.

suresha

Awards
  • Established
AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to take up space on the thread but in case anyone is curious.

Today is Day 9. This has been the weirdest time of my life. First week went by very easily, I actually got a taste of how sober/non hazy life is. Supposedly this is because it is still in your system and the brain is comfortable.

Now the weekend brought more anxiety, severe mood swings/emotions, and no sleep. When i say no sleep I mean you are just laying there for hours hoping to go to sleep and when you finally do you see the worst possible nightmare lol Then the high level anxiety turned into a low grade anxiety, just an uncomfortable feeling.

The irritability is the most noticeable sign of withdrawal. I mean anything from traffic to a $hitty song playing on the radio, to that annoying guy next door, anything will make you literally snap. Im a very peaceful person so people dont even know what to make of it. Ive been on the internet for days reading forums, and these are all the things everyone goes through. Oh and cant forget the low grade fever that everyone talks about.

Today is day 9 and i think im coming through. I feel my test levels going up, im getting more done at work, i can make much more intelligent statements, dont have to read the same sentence 5 times to understand it. and the cloud hasnt even lifted yet!!! wtf was i doing to myself all these years??? i mean even my username suggests, ive been an addict providing a self justification for a habit that f@cked up my pleasure sensors, gave me anxiety, wasted thousands and thousands of dollars.. all for what? for that quick high that doesnt even last that long and leaves you looking through your phone looking for more? /rant over

what ive been doing to try to purify myself is just tons and tons of working out. i dont really lift a lot, jiujitsu is my heart and soul and allows me to sweat buckets and buckets. ive been going 6 days a week, i can barely move im so sore but it doesnt matter because it feels so good to sweat this $hit out. ive also been going to sauna/steamroom, an hour or so of this feels amazing and really took away any feeling of anxiety. the craziest thing i noticed is how nasty my hair gets from sweating so much, as if something gross is coming out that even water by itself cant wash out. keep in mind i am a super healthy eater and already drink tons and tons of water. Ive also been reading some books to purify the mind, at the moment "Tao Teh Ching".

So i hope im on the last leg of this cleansing. it varies from person to person but I slept great last night and im feeling pretty happy. dont waste your money on this crap. sure it is great in moderation and it helps very sick people feel better but how many of us can keep it in moderation? if you have a job, your own place, and you like the way weed feels....you probably smoke every single day like I did. i wanna go through the highs and lows of life and feel every emotion it has to offer, instead of making myself feel "happy" with the f#cking herb.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Out of curiousity, how much did you smoke a day. I just can't imagine a withdrawal from weed. I do smoke, and I don't really plan to stop. But I probably do a couple grams a month if that. Some months, none at all. I do know what withdrawal is like, I am currently a smoker (I am sure I am about to catch a ton of flac for that), and have tried to quit a couple times. Withdrawal leaves me hating the world and starting fights with everyone for no reason. I simply can't imagine this from weed, so even though you are a daily smoker, which I was close to in high school, I still imagine you were smoking ALOT daily.

Either way, good luck with quiting. Based on your responses to it, it looks like you do really need to quit.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Out of curiousity, how much did you smoke a day. I just can't imagine a withdrawal from weed. I do smoke, and I don't really plan to stop. But I probably do a couple grams a month if that. Some months, none at all. I do know what withdrawal is like, I am currently a smoker (I am sure I am about to catch a ton of flac for that), and have tried to quit a couple times. Withdrawal leaves me hating the world and starting fights with everyone for no reason. I simply can't imagine this from weed, so even though you are a daily smoker, which I was close to in high school, I still imagine you were smoking ALOT daily.

Either way, good luck with quiting. Based on your responses to it, it looks like you do really need to quit.
see the thing is that its every single day. the brain chemistry changes and the body is used to having it in the system 24/7. during the week id only smoke maybe a gram or less at night, but weekends it was completely out of control. up to 6-7 blunts a day. still not as much as some but then again, the herb affects everyone differently. do yourself a favor and google marijuana withdrawal forum, you will see exactly what im talking about