Who trains at home. Any preference?

  1. Registered User
    Pinky355's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  206 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15
    Answers
    0

    Who trains at home. Any preference?


    Hi guys.
    Just signed up as a new member and have to say I'm seriously impressed at the wealth of information available on this site. I live in Perth Western Australia and have been training for 4 years but for the last 12 months have been training at home and was wondering who else trains at home and who has preferences either way.

    Regards,

    PINKY.

  2. Registered User
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Answers
    0

    i did when i first started. but then the amount of exercises i could do was limited and i didn't want to invest $ in equiptment.

    if you live in a rural place then i guess you might not have a choice. but i live in a major city so there's a gym every other block it seems like
  3. Registered User
    Pinky355's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  206 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15
    Answers
    0

    I figured on the availabillity of gyms in the larger cities as playing a big factor. Im a shift worker and the gym near me isnt always open when I want to train.
    As for the cost to set up a comprehensive gym at home it worked out to about 3 years worth of gym fees for my wife and I. If only I worked out I guess it would have been 6 years worth and a borderline decision.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    lonewolf0420's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,314
    Answers
    0

    I train at home. Its just so much more convenient for me, with my work hours.It can some times be limiting on the weight I use, and a restriction on exercises I can perform. But I can't beat the convenience.
  5. Registered User
    urbanski's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,195
    Answers
    0

    i bought a cage and bench w/ 500lbs Oly weights for my home gym. i simply hate using gyms downtown. i've also yet to find one with a cage....and all the morons really piss me off.
  6. Registered User
    dave12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    343
    Answers
    0

    I train in my apartment. I have two options for gyms in my neighborhood, there's one power lifting gym that doesn't match me well and 600 cardio-pink dumbell gyms that is a really bad match. I'm never going to be benching in the 500s or doing 90 minute cardio sessions, so I bought a power rack, an elliptical machine, a power block dumbell set and a crappy calf machine and love it. Also, working out at home means that I won't get the athlete's foot in the shower, a nasty rash from the bench, and when I throw up from overexertion during squat days, at most, the only person that can laugh at me is my GF.
  7. Registered User
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by dave12 View Post
    and when I throw up from overexertion during squat days, at most, the only person that can laugh at me is my GF.
    i don't know what kind of gyms you went ot in the past but at mine we applaud when someone pukes or passes out
  8. Registered User
    bluehealer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    997
    Answers
    0

    I've done both, I much perfer working out at home, away from the cackling of all the chickens that group up around the weights.
  9. n87
    n87 is offline
    Registered User
    n87's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    404
    Answers
    0

    Home, squat cage and olympic set. Nobody bothers me and I can focus on what I am doing.
  10. Registered User
    zodiiac523's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    25
    Posts
    635
    Answers
    0

    My gym is 24/7 its awesome to have...
  11. Registered User
    Pinky355's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  206 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15
    Answers
    0

    You all pretty much summed up my reasons for training at home. I guess I am lucky as I have the wife to spot me on the bench and shoulder press and a rack for the squat. Its nice not having to wait for a bunch of young blokes cycling thru the equipment and talking more than lifting. I thought the pub was for socialising.
  12. Registered User
    lilnardey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    287
    Answers
    0

    I buy equipment for my house instead of buying a gym membership. Its expensive but so is a gym membership where I live. Cant beat how convenient it makes everything.
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,355
    Answers
    1

    Just got a whole new setup at home. Was getting sick and tired of waiting for equipent at the gym. So I got a rack, over 600lbs and I am loving every minute of it
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  14. Registered User
    lilnardey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    287
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    Just got a whole new setup at home. Was getting sick and tired of waiting for equipent at the gym. So I got a rack, over 600lbs and I am loving every minute of it
    Yep another reason why I do my work at home. Small town plus small gym equals lines for all the equipment.
  15. Banned
    The Dooeug's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    25
    Posts
    56
    Answers
    0

    I turned my attic into a hard core gym, I have everything I need, all the dumb bells and some machines, although my parents rage when I start doing deads. 500 pounds pounding up and down on the cieling haha. But it really beats going to the gym and dealing with all those gym rats that hoard all the bars and bells and dont re rack squat.
  16. Registered User
    lilnardey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    287
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dooeug View Post
    I turned my attic into a hard core gym, I have everything I need, all the dumb bells and some machines, although my parents rage when I start doing deads. 500 pounds pounding up and down on the cieling haha. But it really beats going to the gym and dealing with all those gym rats that hoard all the bars and bells and dont re rack squat.
    Dude if your attic is anything like mine that is beyond hardcore haha
  17. Registered User
    EctoMeso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    108
    Answers
    0

    Hay m8 im from down under too.... and yup i train at home, lookin at investing in some more gear very shortly......... i left a whole heap of gear with a m8 on the goldy bcoz i couldnt have been bothered to move it all up north, but ive got enough to do the job atm.
  18. Registered User
    TheLastRonin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    960
    Answers
    0

    Most gyms don't appreciate me coming in my underwear and yelling abuse randomly while blasting angry tunes. Neither does my wife..but she likes the results, so she supports it at home heh.
  19. Registered User
    EctoMeso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    108
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    Most gyms don't appreciate me coming in my underwear and yelling abuse randomly while blasting angry tunes. Neither does my wife..but she likes the results, so she supports it at home heh.
    +1
  20. Registered User
    jumpshot903's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,384
    Answers
    0

    I can say honestly i love working out at home so much more you can do whatever yell scream workout in just a jock strap for all i care. But its not going to be the same results unless you seriously drop some dough to get good quality stuff, If you can get the proper machines db's weights its deffinately better to workout at home atleast in my mind you dont have to pay for gas or membership fees dont have to deal with ****y little kids or lines for machines. But like i mentioned in the end it comes down to getting a quality workout and wherever you can get the best thats where your gonna wannna go just ignore the rest.
  21. supreme being
    WATERLOGGED's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    52
    Posts
    701
    Answers
    0

    worked out at gyms for years,now since i'm older i bought enough equipment(2 smiths, cable towers...ect. and olimpic weight(a couple thousand pounds),hex dumbells up to 120 pounders and right now i'm buyin a muscle max commercial leg press. half of my basement is one big gym now , so now i work out at home with my wife or son anytime i want.
  22. Banned
    The Dooeug's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    25
    Posts
    56
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot903 View Post
    I can say honestly i love working out at home so much more you can do whatever yell scream workout in just a jock strap for all i care. But its not going to be the same results unless you seriously drop some dough to get good quality stuff, If you can get the proper machines db's weights its deffinately better to workout at home atleast in my mind you dont have to pay for gas or membership fees dont have to deal with ****y little kids or lines for machines. But like i mentioned in the end it comes down to getting a quality workout and wherever you can get the best thats where your gonna wannna go just ignore the rest.
    Ya definitely need all the right equipment or else your just limiting yourself to the different exercises you could do

    Also by lifting at home you have all the supplements right there!
  23. Registered User
    lilnardey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    287
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by WATERLOGGED View Post
    worked out at gyms for years,now since i'm older i bought enough equipment(2 smiths, cable towers...ect. and olimpic weight(a couple thousand pounds),hex dumbells up to 120 pounders and right now i'm buyin a muscle max commercial leg press. half of my basement is one big gym now , so now i work out at home with my wife or son anytime i want.
    Sounds like your livin the dream. Cant wait till I can add more to my home gym collection.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Who trains at night?
    By ZiR RED in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 12:18 AM
  2. What's your belt preference?
    By capnsavem in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 11:25 PM
  3. Preference??
    By TDHAWKS in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
  4. IGF-1 VS HGH, your preference
    By jomi822 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 12:54 AM
  5. Who trains at home?
    By Nelson in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 09:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in