Dealing with the government

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
:soapbox:

Does anyone else hate it as much as I do?

It seems no matter what it is, whether I'm dealing with the city, state, or federal government, they just make things a bigger PITA than it really has to be.

You can go to an office and ask 5 people the same thing and get 5 different answers. But of course if you do the wrong thing you get penalized in some way. How are you supposed to know wtf is going on if they can't keep it straight and they are the ones that make the rules!

And there is nothing like sitting there 2 hours to speak to someone who then tells you that you need to see someone else, who 9 times out of 10 happens to be out of the office or too busy to see you at the moment. And then when you do see then they have no idea wtf you are talking about and wonder why you we told to speak to them.

:aargh4:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
its good times.

not a funny story here. there was a guy in service who applied for the "once in a lifetime opportunity". this is where people can and have gotten out of their contact with the army when a "once in a lifetime opportunity" comes up. people were getting out to become managers of mcdonalds, and all kinds of other stupid stuff.

so my NCOIC applies for the "once in a lifetime opportunity" to go secret service. he had his report date on file, and the department of the army denied it, because it was a lateral shift - a government job to a government job. the ironic thing here, is if you miss your report date for SS you are barred from re-applying for the position.

purelife1

dude i know where you are coming from..i have to deal with those jerks all the time..no one knows what the other is doing..and every time i think i have made some progress and they will leave me alone another person changes jobs and they have to put thier 2 cents in and screws it all up again

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I have always said the federal government needs a healthy dose of lead inject straight into their heads.... medically speaking of course.

GTA61

GTA61

Awards
If and when you evar want or need to deal with gov't peeps you will have to become proficient in hoop jumping first. If you cannot have someone tell you stupid menial things and pretend you are afraid of them, that they are your superior and all knowing, you will never get past hoop jumping 101. SRS

jbray

jbray

Banned
Awards
i hate the court system the most, better yet the clerks of court. you cant fax, call, or email they make you come physicaly down to the office just so you can sign a fuc8ing waiver for some BS. yesterday i got a call saying i had a court fine to pay si asked her if i can write a check or a money order ans she says no....so i drove there and stood in line for 2 hours and some fat lady behind the counter told me i owe $1.00 so i flipped out, then the lady say why didnt you just write a check or send a money order.

bigdognhb

Awards
I love my country but hate the government. Somewhere along the way For the people, By the People has lost its meaning.

Example: I used to live in WI. We were trying to get a concelled carry law passed. It got rejected the first time in the house. It was rewritten and it passed. It was vetoed and brought back for an override. It failed because the person that started the bill didnt want to vote for an override against his own party. WTF

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
I like what the government was founded on and wish it stuck to the basics. I love my country but lean towards anarchy. Doesn't make sense-i know. IMO for the people BY the people should be majority rule, everything voted on by us, not a corrupt representative who don't represent us at all. Taxes; let us vote on where our money should go. Let us vote on whether or not a major road repair is needed. Let us vote on buy outs-its our money, our government by us. They have no common sense about business. In the US they did a cash for clunkers program and lost money, screwed up the already messes up industry, And they want to get involved in the medical field? Helmet law- more people die from cigarettes than motorcycles. Did we vote on the helmet law? Free country my arse! I'd rather feed the poor vet on the corner than a person in another country. Our money, our economy, our vote, our country!

dave12

Awards
  • Established
I love my country but hate the government. Somewhere along the way For the people, By the People has lost its meaning.

Example: I used to live in WI. We were trying to get a concelled carry law passed. It got rejected the first time in the house. It was rewritten and it passed. It was vetoed and brought back for an override. It failed because the person that started the bill didnt want to vote for an override against his own party. WTF
The someday was 04MAR1933.

dave12

Awards
  • Established
I like what the government was founded on and wish it stuck to the basics. I love my country but lean towards anarchy. Doesn't make sense-i know. IMO for the people BY the people should be majority rule, everything voted on by us, not a corrupt representative who don't represent us at all. Taxes; let us vote on where our money should go. Let us vote on whether or not a major road repair is needed. Let us vote on buy outs-its our money, our government by us. They have no common sense about business. In the US they did a cash for clunkers program and lost money, screwed up the already messes up industry, And they want to get involved in the medical field? Helmet law- more people die from cigarettes than motorcycles. Did we vote on the helmet law? Free country my arse! I'd rather feed the poor vet on the corner than a person in another country. Our money, our economy, our vote, our country!
Majority rule is what got us into the cluster**** we are enjoying today. If the senate was still elected by state assemblies no way would any of what you mentioned happen. Acton, Franklin, Jefferson, Locke, Burke all have addressed this. Corruption is inevitable in all government; the question is how do you manage it and how do you marginalize it. Initially, we had house reps that were mandated to rep no more than 40,000 mangs and senators were elected by state governments. This created both responsive and factional government. Now house reps represent about 650,000 mangs and senators have allegiance to the federal aspect of government as the state government has little power to influence them. Also, sufferage was limited.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Case in point:

I am unemployed atm...my last job was at a rock quarry and the economy hit the business hard. I have decided to finish college....I already have 48 hours toward my business degree. I was told that being a displaced worker, the state will possibly pay for my "retraining". So, I finally get to the meeting yesterday (been waiting almost a week, refer to previous posts about scheduling the meeting) and had a mind numbing moment...

I have to go take a test to see if I am smart enough to attend college. Keep in mind I already have 48 hours, and 12 hours from my AA in business. Um....I think the fact I already almost completed one degree shows I am smart enough for college. To me, a test is a waste of time and money.

I had another thought as well. The meeting actually took place at the unemployment office. Now, I don't know how things work elsewhere, but here you register for unemployment, then you look at a list of jobs, copy a "number code" for the job, wait an hour or more to see a councilor, and they just give you a letter saying you are from the unemployment office and tell you to go to said business to apply.

Um.......

Ok, since you have to go to the business to apply, it's not like the business just doesn't want to bother with applicants coming in. If everyone applying is from the unemployment office, it's not like the letter get's you special treatment. Therefore, I see the waiting and letter as an unnecessary step. Why not just look at the list and see who needs help and go apply? I don't know if my explanation is clear or not, but IMO it is an example of unneeded bureaucracy.

I'm reminded of the CARFAX commercial (to paraphrase),""but it's a letter...from the unemployment office"

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Case in point:

I am unemployed atm...my last job was at a rock quarry and the economy hit the business hard. I have decided to finish college....I already have 48 hours toward my business degree. I was told that being a displaced worker, the state will possibly pay for my "retraining". So, I finally get to the meeting yesterday (been waiting almost a week, refer to previous posts about scheduling the meeting) and had a mind numbing moment...

I have to go take a test to see if I am smart enough to attend college. Keep in mind I already have 48 hours, and 12 hours from my AA in business. Um....I think the fact I already almost completed one degree shows I am smart enough for college. To me, a test is a waste of time and money.

I had another thought as well. The meeting actually took place at the unemployment office. Now, I don't know how things work elsewhere, but here you register for unemployment, then you look at a list of jobs, copy a "number code" for the job, wait an hour or more to see a councilor, and they just give you a letter saying you are from the unemployment office and tell you to go to said business to apply.

Um.......

Ok, since you have to go to the business to apply, it's not like the business just doesn't want to bother with applicants coming in. If everyone applying is from the unemployment office, it's not like the letter get's you special treatment. Therefore, I see the waiting and letter as an unnecessary step. Why not just look at the list and see who needs help and go apply? I don't know if my explanation is clear or not, but IMO it is an example of unneeded bureaucracy.

I'm reminded of the CARFAX commercial (to paraphrase),""but it's a letter...from the unemployment office"
I don't remember this exactly, (Sean does our hiring), but there is a tax benefit that runs around with that letter for the employer.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I don't remember this exactly, (Sean does our hiring), but there is a tax benefit that runs around with that letter for the employer.
So the government pays someone to add a step so that they (the government) appear useful?

No wonder we are in debt and in the crapper. :dump:

MorningMetal

Awards
I'm a veteran myself, and in my experience. EVERYTHING is twice as hard as it needs to be.
When this country was founded, this is NOT what the forefathers had intended to happen. The Constitution and the Declaration of Independence are REALLY what this country is all about. They're on display in DC, and yet their message gets pissed all over every day by shady senators, bureaucrats, and greedy *******s. What we need is another revolution.
I'll tell you this.. fat golf-playing senators and oil tycoons can talk their way into a deal, but can they bench 3 plates, run a marathon, or ever even know what a complex carbohydrate is? This is what we, the fit, pissed off taxpayers of the gyms can use to our advantage, and take our country back!!

...not really sure where I was going with that. I'm not a speechwriter.. But yeah dude anything Federal will give you a headache.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Federal Employee Right Here...it's just as bad for us....i understand where everyone is coming from without a doubt...i work at a call center with a limited amount of things that we can actually do...the offices are so slow that ppl get mad that they filed paper work a month ago and it's still not input into the system...to back up the different answers from different ppl...the system i have to use is comprised of 144 books...i can't possibly ever learn all the guidelines and they rn't written good so when i do find a procedure on how to handle something, my interpretation may be different from the next guys

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
The government needs to be restructured, based on the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. I know alot of state workers and wouldn't like seeing my friends unemployed, but, our country needs major work. One example is the right to bear arms. Simplified, they're should be no laws holding us back in any way to bear arms. Now cut every job that fights against that right. To argue the right to bear arms is unamerican. Illegal imigration, touchy subject, basics- there is legal and illegal immigration. Stop funding people fighting the law...Democrats are waisting money on that. Look around at the whole system. It needs to be cut. those are just two easy subjects to restructure. What happened to right and wrong? Bureaucrats.

jbray

jbray

Banned
Awards
we can never get out of debt, bc we have such a debt with china its insane that they havent proposed a plan to come over here and change our goverment. once we get out of bebt we would be all good but then china wont have the upper hand and if that doesnt happend they will do what ever they want to change that as seeing almost every country basically utilizes china in a big way. if china wanted a country to stop dealing with us i dont see the other country saying no to chinas demands. i think we really need to start utilizing out bordering countries for our own product such as wood,plastics,metals, and food we dont need china... well at least i dont think as of right now.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What happened to right and wrong?
Nothing happened to right and wrong. It never was as simple as black and white. There are only different shades of grey.

Most of the complaints about government are really complaints about human nature. Take the humans out of the equation and problem is solved. See wasn't that easy?

MorningMetal

Awards
I would tend to agree with that, although I don't believe in such a thing as "human nature". It's human behavior, which has been programmed into us as a result of our environment. Change the environment, and you change the behavior. It's kind of a Catch 22.
I would venture to say that 80 to 90 percent of crimes are crimes of necessity, and are a result of the system, and the environment. There are those crimes that are the result of sick perverts, and insane, violent people of course..

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
There are those crimes that are the result of sick perverts, and insane, violent people of course..[/QUOTE]

and those people who haven't been caught yet are voting, causing people to stop and think about grey areas. A person could reason that a child molester can't help it that he's attracted to young boys and that he was born that way - same as gay people. 30 years ago we didn't accept gays. Eventually the sick molesters will be accepted. Don't beleive me? Thi is from the wikipedia...

The North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) is a New York City and San Francisco-based unincorporated organization in the United States that advocates the liberalization of laws against sexual relations between adult and minor males - resolving to "end the oppression of men and boys who have freely chosen mutually consenting relationships". NAMBLA also calls for "the adoption of laws that both protect children from unwanted sexual experiences and at the same time leave them free to determine the content of their own sexual experiences

This crap is allowed to exist in my country. I don't think the founding fathers meant this to be allowed even with free speach. Do we really need to waiste more government money to pass laws for something that's suppose to be illegal? In 30 more years i'll be called a molestophobe because our values in this world are screwed up.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Holy poop fells....I'm STILL dealing with the same crap that started my rant!

:frustrate:

I'm trying to restart college so I finish my degree. Being a "displaced worker" I am subject to some subsidies to help pay for it. I was given a list of hoops to jump through (basically paperwork and testing). Well, after I got all of my end together I contacted the college and let then know I was about finished with the testing so I was ready to proceed with enrollment. I received an email back saying when I was approved funding to let him know and he would schedule me in, but classes starting April 1st needed to be applied for by March 15.

*looks at calender....has he ever dealt with the government? I don't see it happening*

Anyway, I drop off the paperwork yesterday afternoon at the local WIA office.

This morning I get a call from the worker and she, quite rudely, informs me we must have had a lack of communication because I was missing my application to the college in my paperwork. I told her I was told that the college admissions office said to schedule when I was approved funding and I was informed, again rather flippantly, that I am to listen to her and follow her directions.

I seriously bit my tongue. I'm just the poor guy that is ignorant of the system thus does what people say to do, and have the misfortune of having two people say two different things.

If I didn't need this funding to get to school I would have told her to go fuk herself over her attitude alone. I hold great disdain for people that use their position in such a manner. I need her, she holds my future, she knows it and thus believes she can behave in such a manner.

Plebeian cow.:smite:

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
... This crap is allowed to exist in my country. I don't think the founding fathers meant this to be allowed even with free speach. Do we really need to waiste more government money to pass laws for something that's suppose to be illegal? In 30 more years i'll be called a molestophobe because our values in this world are screwed up.
Haha! I like you Omni, but you really don't get the big picture do you man? When you see prime-time commercials (sponsored by FEMA) encouraging you to grab your "go bag" and run for the hills with your family, it's pretty safe to say you don't even have 30 more years. Don't get distracted with politics my man, start reading between the lines and focus on reality.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW6tVE3cS98&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Emergency Preparedness World Upside Down 60[/ame]

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
Haha! I like you Omni, but you really don't get the big picture do you man? When you see prime-time commercials (sponsored by FEMA) encouraging you to grab your "go bag" and run for the hills with your family, it's pretty safe to say you don't even have 30 more years. Don't get distracted with politics my man, start reading between the lines and focus on reality.

YouTube- Emergency Preparedness World Upside Down 60
You just proved that the world is full of idiots. LOL!!