prima donnas in the gyms now days...

nynone

nynone

Awards
this is mainly my little vent/rant about the dumb a**es who treat the gym like a playground. this isn't intended to be directed at anyone here, just the idiots at my gym that i see using sh!t form... enjoy:

why the f*** are there so many damned prima donnas in the gyms? i just don't get it. honestly, if you want to work out and get the muscle mass built up, listen to the constructive criticism i give you. dont be doin bicep curls with 50+lb dumbbells and swing your entire body. it not only looks stupid, but your 8 inch bicep shows that you have to swing your body to get enough momentum to bring the dumbbell above your waist. also, who the F*** benches with their feet ON THE BENCH? ever heard of technique dude? and i bet you think it helps to do that when you do skull crushers too.... my a**.

oh, and to the morons and friggin momo's who do t-bar rows like standing shrugs... ya, you look cool. the bar is travelling 3 inches, and you're loading three plates on there. i wonder why you don't have any real muscle mass covering your body to begin with? maybe you bench with your feet in the air too? next time i see you, i'll put one plate on the bar, have you do proper form, and then we can see who is the real strong man here... hint: i bet it aint you since you probly couldn't get the bar within six inches of your moobs.

hmm.... oh hey! i forgot about my buddy who said to not break parallels while doing squats. first off, i prefer lunges... thank you very much. and second, i only do squats on the smith to help warm up for presses. don't b**** at me cause i can make my a** touch the floor, and go all the way back up 20x, and i'm squatting about 150-180. if it's that bad for the knees, i think i would be having problems by now.

and to the dude doing seated rows on the machine... you don't turn your whole body! use your back, and move that shoulder blade, but don't cheat by grabbing onto the pad in front of you, and pulling on it to help... you're just wasting time.

now i got to say this, but i feel bad. i mean, this one is f***ing common sense is it not? well, maybe not to you mr chubby, but believe me when i tell you that the best way to relieve muscle soreness is sleep and proper food intake. that's why i am the one who looks ready to slim down for a competition, and you look like you spent the last fifty years behind a desk eating big macs all day long. proper treatment for "sore muscles" (aww.... poor guy...not!) doesn't mean you use the Icy Hot patch, and advil, or some other crap. that's just for p***ies in my opinion. then again, i was born with a high pain tolerance.

oh, and also... i have to throw this guy in too (drum roll please): Mr. No Legs! you sir have set the new standard for looking like a complete jack-a**. your shoulders look like they are caving in on your entire body, with all the sit ups and crunches mixed with your bench presses (probly with your feet behind your head for all i know). and as an added bonus, you only have biceps, no triceps. this makes a nice pair of arms curl in so much, they match your shoulders and chest perfectly. this complete's your whole a**-hole look. now go show it off in the mall, the locker room, and keep curling your 75lb dumbbells... i bet you couldn't do a narrow grip push up to save your friggin life.

sorry for the ramble guys, but is there anyone who doesn't feel like this? i mean, if you lift at, let's say, west side barbell, i know it would be different. but if you go to places like 24hr fitness, la fitness, lifetime fitness, pure fitness, etc.... wouldn't you have seen some of these guys? maybe its just my gym, but i'm sure there's some guys here, or maybe even girls, who have seen some really sh**ty form, and/or morons tryin to look good with bogus bodies.

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
Boy you hit the nail on the head with this post. I got these jokers at my gym as well.
The only positive is that most of the New Years rush has come and gone.

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
Boy you hit the nail on the head with this post. I got these jokers at my gym as well.
The only positive is that most of the New Years rush has come and gone.
new years has come and gone.... but spring break is in full swing lol good luck getting on any ab equipment

As for the OP, you make some very valid points, but your post is a little on the radical side....

nynone

nynone

Awards
new years has come and gone.... but spring break is in full swing lol good luck getting on any ab equipment

As for the OP, you make some very valid points, but your post is a little on the radical side....
i couldn't agree more with you. there's too many people here in my gym. i just want all the new years resolutions to fail already. sorry, but i know most of em will fail. that's why the gym always makes big money around the new years time.

and, i do know that i was a bit on the radical side, hence my disclaimer about it being a vent/rant. either way, glad i could help entertain some people haha. but when you think about what i said, it's amazing how true it can be... holy sh!t, i can still remember some of the dudes i talked about cause i saw em last night too haha

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
i could care less what the other people do, however what pisses me off is when i need to use a machine and the people on it have their weight loaded and stand around it talking for 30 damn minutes doing 1 set every 10 minutes.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
uhhh prefer lunges to squats?? dissing on the granddaddy of lifts??? smith machine squats??? what is this $hit

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
AS long as they don't get in the way of my workout i could care less I go to the gym to lift not to look at what other people are lifting or their form or whatever. Why would i even waste a second of a good workout watching or worrying about what someone else is lifting.

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
I'm really not a jerk. Yesterday I through a dumbell on someones foot for standing 6" from where I was doing curls. I slapped another guy off the weight bench I was doing concentration curls on. Common courtesy. How bout the guy who can't hold the dumbells he's using and drops them, then walks away for my girlfriend to pick up. Here's a solution...take a hammer to them a few blocks from the gym. I haven't been kicked out from my gym yey, but sometimes it works.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
AS long as they don't get in the way of my workout i could care less I go to the gym to lift not to look at what other people are lifting or their form or whatever. Why would i even waste a second of a good workout watching or worrying about what someone else is lifting.
yea, thats exactly how i feel..

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ha ha, reminds me of what I used to say...until the day I saw a smoking hot blond at the squat rack, believe me she was extremely distracting.

nynone

nynone

Awards
well, think of it this way. at least, this is how i look at it lol. when you're in between sets, you look around, if you see a buddy, you say hi, and hopefully a hot girl comes by you when you start your next set. you also hope that you are going heavy then too haha.

now, when you look around, try checking out the girls... you hear weights slam, so you look to see if that person is ok. they keep slamming, and you turn to look at the to yell "stop dropping the f***ing weights dude! lower it a little, and maybe you wont be waking the dead in china". when you see who it is, it's either some scrawny dude, no muscle, or some big dude (and dont mean muscle either), and he say's he's "power lifting".

plus, this dude was next to me yesterday, and he was trying to do lateral raises with the cable system (60lbs). he was throwing himself around like a rag doll, barely moving the weight. looked like it hurt a lot. i told him he might want to lower the weight to keep his form right, and raise the reps. he made up some bullsh** and said thanks. he kept throwing his body around, thrashing his rotator cuff.

now, dont play the "just dont pay them attention game" with me. a gym is for people to get in shape, not trash your body. people need to learn how to workout before they can enter a gym. i just hate watching people destroy their bodies, especially when they are in great shape.

n87

Awards
  • Established
If they need help, they need to come and ask for advice. Other than that, most people don't want anybody to tell them how and what to do. Turn your i-pod louder and keep liftin' :)

nynone

nynone

Awards
If they need help, they need to come and ask for advice. Other than that, most people don't want anybody to tell them how and what to do. Turn your i-pod louder and keep liftin' :)
i'll agree to that! its hard drown out the slams though when a dude is next to ya lol.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
I lift to look good outside the gym. I could care less how I look inside.

So why do these kids come in looking like they are going to the club?

Also, I'm glad people are lifting in my gym. Especially the scrawnier guys. It's a good lifestyle to start. But taking muscletech and your 2 months worth of knowledge does not allow you go come in the gym wearing a beater, do 2 sets of curls, and walk around like you can't move your arms because your lats are so pumped.

I've given up. I lift in a university gym, so nowadays I just pull my hat down so I can't see the clowns, put my earbuds in and just lift.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Whats funny is when I start curling 50's with decent form and and have been lifting for a few years and then some guy thats been in the gym for 2 weeks stands next to me, picks up 60's, and then proceeds to use the earths rotational spin to curl the weights. I have given him and others in the gym tips multiple times, but they never listen. And then they talk **** about how they are curling 10lbs more than me to each other and how bicep curls every day are gonna turn them into a beast. They walk around with ILS (Imaginary Lat Syndrom) when there back is as thick as a toothpick and always wonder why I walk with my arms spread somewhat from my body; because I have the wingspan of a ****ing eagle you douche... I just learned that you cant change the way people lift, dont try, it will only cause you problems...

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
You lost me on the squats part.
I agree...who squats on a smith? Not a very natural motion. I feel the same way about people benching on a smith.

You wanna know the one that really gets me? It's Mr. "Floor Trainer"! You know, the guy who walks around the gym more worried about what other people are doing than his own workout. It's also the same guy who yells random **** at people who are in the middle of their sets, and belittles people who are just getting started with their fitness routine. Ya...that guy sucks bro!

Edit:

Apparently there has been some confusion. Yes, OP I'm talking about you in the last paragraph! Hope that clears it up ;).

Last edited:
AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I agree...who squats on a smith? Not a very natural motion. I feel the same way about people benching on a smith.

You wanna know the one that really gets me? It's Mr. "Floor Trainer"! You know, the guy who walks around the gym more worried about what other people are doing than his own workout. It's also the same guy who yells random **** at people who are in the middle of their sets, and belittles people who are just getting started with their fitness routine. Ya...that guy sucks bro!
that guy would have a 45 lb plate up his a$$ if i ever met him

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't understand why people care so much. I could give a **** less if some dude was in the corner checking out milfs while jerking off to some coldplay, I will just avert my eyes.

What everyone else does at the gym is of no concern to me. Swing those dumbells, put those feet up on the bench for a press or crushers (Hell I do it sometimes). Others workout affects me none, I could give two shots in a sock less about how someone does their workout.

And I have never had problems getting equipment, if someone is curling in the rack, I ask them if I can use it for squats and show them an open floor space... never had a problem, and this is even while asking some guido's.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
LOL I like all those types. It gives me something to watch during sets. My favorite is team lifting. You know one guy benches while the spotter does bent over rows cause the weight is so heavy.lol

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
guys guys guys....theres always going to be ppl at the gym that makes u mad no matter what...gotta remember, these ppl pay their membership fees, if they weren't at your gym then the gym might increase your membership or never be able to replace broken equipment

they should do their research and learn to lift, but guys who are jacked are just as bad, got forbid if you use the one bench at my gym when the powerlifters show up, they get all upset, their bench shirts get all ruffled, the one guy actually has his own bench bar, for reasons i'm still trying to figure out that he wraps up and locks in the corner, he only uses it when he benchs though not when he deadlifts or squats, still trying to figure it out

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I don't understand why people care so much. I could give a **** less if some dude was in the corner checking out milfs while jerking off to some coldplay, I will just avert my eyes.

What everyone else does at the gym is of no concern to me. Swing those dumbells, put those feet up on the bench for a press or crushers (Hell I do it sometimes). Others workout affects me none, I could give two shots in a sock less about how someone does their workout.

And I have never had problems getting equipment, if someone is curling in the rack, I ask them if I can use it for squats and show them an open floor space... never had a problem, and this is even while asking some guido's.
Amen bro... How ya been?

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
Shouldn't the gym members go over the rules with new people and enforce them? I go to the gym to lift heavy, not to do cardio by puting peoples weights away before i can lift. Gym clothes...not a big deal but if i wear what the new guys wear, someone has to say something i.e., work boots, denim, etc., Is it because i'm bigger and should know better? I encourage people to get into a healthier lifestyle amd don't mind helping people out but courtesy goes a long way.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Shouldn't the gym members go over the rules with new people and enforce them? I go to the gym to lift heavy, not to do cardio by puting peoples weights away before i can lift. Gym clothes...not a big deal but if i wear what the new guys wear, someone has to say something i.e., work boots, denim, etc., Is it because i'm bigger and should know better? I encourage people to get into a healthier lifestyle amd don't mind helping people out but courtesy goes a long way.
I agree with you on everything but one point: It's not the members' responsibility to police other members. That should lie with the staff.

nynone

nynone

Awards
i agree here. i mean, i have the mentality of being a helpful person. i know not everyone cares if their doing proper form, or wearing the baggiest clothes while using a machine... that's their fault. but courtesy does go a long way. and if i give advice, just because i noticed some dudes arms are tiny as hell, and he's doing skull crushers with a 100lb barbell, i get concerned. maybe proper form can help him achieve his goals? if people want help, they're always too scared to ask. i like it when people inform me of a better technique. that means that i'm not the only guy trying to get big, and also shows there's some decent courtesy in my gym. but that's just me.

I agree with you on everything but one point: It's not the members' responsibility to police other members. That should lie with the staff.
and for you, you do have a point on this one. staff should enforce these things. but if you didn't know what you were doing, would you want someone to inform you that you shouldn't wear those pants, or "here's how to use the the machine bud"? i think people are just too timid to ask for help now days.

let me give you all the example of a friend that doesn't know much about working out. he wants to eat this bullsh** food, drink heavily, and workout to achieve a six pack, and a larger torso with arms to match. only problem is that in the last nine months (when he made himself that "promise" to hit the gym, and get these results his way) he hasn't gotten any bigger. if anything, he's lost some weight, and still super lanky. is it because he just doesn't care? maybe... but when i've offered him help on exercises, he doesn't seem to want it. he's also got a torn rotator cuff, and other shoulder problems, yet he does stupidly heavy exercises, and thinks he's making progress. i think it's just him not wanting help (whatever his reason for not wanting it is, i dont know. but i think he's a bit shy to ask), or just not caring at all. but if he didn't care, then he wouldn't be trying. or am i missing something? :dunno:

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i agree here. i mean, i have the mentality of being a helpful person. i know not everyone cares if their doing proper form, or wearing the baggiest clothes while using a machine... that's their fault. but courtesy does go a long way. and if i give advice, just because i noticed some dudes arms are tiny as hell, and he's doing skull crushers with a 100lb barbell, i get concerned. maybe proper form can help him achieve his goals? if people want help, they're always too scared to ask. i like it when people inform me of a better technique. that means that i'm not the only guy trying to get big, and also shows there's some decent courtesy in my gym. but that's just me.

and for you, you do have a point on this one. staff should enforce these things. but if you didn't know what you were doing, would you want someone to inform you that you shouldn't wear those pants, or "here's how to use the the machine bud"? i think people are just too timid to ask for help now days.

let me give you all the example of a friend that doesn't know much about working out. he wants to eat this bullsh** food, drink heavily, and workout to achieve a six pack, and a larger torso with arms to match. only problem is that in the last nine months (when he made himself that "promise" to hit the gym, and get these results his way) he hasn't gotten any bigger. if anything, he's lost some weight, and still super lanky. is it because he just doesn't care? maybe... but when i've offered him help on exercises, he doesn't seem to want it. he's also got a torn rotator cuff, and other shoulder problems, yet he does stupidly heavy exercises, and thinks he's making progress. i think it's just him not wanting help (whatever his reason for not wanting it is, i dont know. but i think he's a bit shy to ask), or just not caring at all. but if he didn't care, then he wouldn't be trying. or am i missing something? :dunno:
But why get so worked up over people who do things different, or blatantly wrong for that matter? How is it really effecting your life in the end.

I put my feet up occasionally on the bench while working... care to explain why that is bad or wrong? I feel it give my stabilizers more of a chance to work since I am not on a solid base, and keeps my ass on the bench.

nynone

nynone

Awards
But why get so worked up over people who do things different, or blatantly wrong for that matter? How is it really effecting your life in the end.

I put my feet up occasionally on the bench while working... care to explain why that is bad or wrong? I feel it give my stabilizers more of a chance to work since I am not on a solid base, and keeps my ass on the bench.
i even put a little disclaimer as a VENT so lets keep that clear. i was a little pissy that day. but in reality, i see your point. the guys who really get on my nerves are the big dudes (who aren't big in a good sense), and they think they're lifting heavy amounts. the jump off the machine, act all winded, get back on the machine, and do it all again. plus, when the guys who have bad form do it, they act like their the sh**, which is the real shove over the line. i can't help but just laugh at them, and sometimes hard enough to where i forget about my own work out, and relax my legs/arms/whatever and let the weights slam. and it's funny how i can't help but look around from time to time... i have add when i'm in the gym at times. maybe that's why i notice these fools.

and for the benching part... when you have your feet on the bench, you're not using proper technique to keep the tension off your shoulders. plus, if you dont have a slight arch in your back then you increase the travel of your elbows. watch this video, it helped me up my bench, and i have no more issues when it comes to my shoulders now. of course, this is what i prefer, so take it as you wish.
YouTube- Dave Tate's Six-Week Bench Press Cure

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i even put a little disclaimer as a VENT so lets keep that clear. i was a little pissy that day. but in reality, i see your point. the guys who really get on my nerves are the big dudes (who aren't big in a good sense), and they think they're lifting heavy amounts. the jump off the machine, act all winded, get back on the machine, and do it all again. plus, when the guys who have bad form do it, they act like their the sh**, which is the real shove over the line. i can't help but just laugh at them, and sometimes hard enough to where i forget about my own work out, and relax my legs/arms/whatever and let the weights slam. and it's funny how i can't help but look around from time to time... i have add when i'm in the gym at times. maybe that's why i notice these fools.

and for the benching part... when you have your feet on the bench, you're not using proper technique to keep the tension off your shoulders. plus, if you dont have a slight arch in your back then you increase the travel of your elbows. watch this video, it helped me up my bench, and i have no more issues when it comes to my shoulders now. of course, this is what i prefer, so take it as you wish.
YouTube- Dave Tate's Six-Week Bench Press Cure
I understand the proper form for increasing the weight, but I do not workout to move up in weight constantly.. i did powerlifting for awhile and could care less about how much weight I lift now. Placing my feet up allows for my stabilizer muscle to work harder, giving me a better condition for sports. The feet up theory has been advocated by other authorities in fitness. Just to show that there is no one right or wrong way to workout.

As for the chodes in the gym... sure, get a laugh, and move on. When I am personally in the gym, I am so engrossed in my own workout and music that I pretty much never notice anyone else there. Regardless of how big of a douche they are. :D

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
My only beef is idiots who gel their hair just to go lift...idiotic cumquats.

nynone

nynone

Awards
My only beef is idiots who gel their hair just to go lift...idiotic cumquats.
dude, sounds like one of the personal training sales dudes at my gym haha. he has to make sure his hair is "right" before he lifts... f***in A... i dont get it. so what if you hair is good? i guess he's only there for the chicks.

nynone

nynone

Awards
I understand the proper form for increasing the weight, but I do not workout to move up in weight constantly.. i did powerlifting for awhile and could care less about how much weight I lift now. Placing my feet up allows for my stabilizer muscle to work harder, giving me a better condition for sports. The feet up theory has been advocated by other authorities in fitness. Just to show that there is no one right or wrong way to workout.

As for the chodes in the gym... sure, get a laugh, and move on. When I am personally in the gym, I am so engrossed in my own workout and music that I pretty much never notice anyone else there. Regardless of how big of a douche they are. :D
gotcha on the form thing. i find it best for me to do it the "powerlifting method" (i guess you could call it that? lol) and when i use dumbells, i find that best ofr me with stabilizer muscles... i can't even replicate what i do with a bar with my dumbbell routine.

and for the douches in the gym.... touche! lol :439: