powerlifting a-holes

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Let me first start out by saying that for whatever reason you lift, exercise or do whatever you do in life, i respect that it is your thing and you do it for your own reasons.

Yesterday i was in the....you guessed it, the gym and was doing my thing. it was chest day and i was on the hammer-strength incline press. between sets i was watching these powerlifters scream and grunt pushing 3 reps, granted it was heavy weight. i wasn't staring just glancing from time to time between them and the tv. powerlifting has always interested me cause i don't get it and wonder what the deal is so i'm trying to understand. after my last set one of the guys walks by, grins and in a condesending voice says "why don't you put some weight on there?". now i'm not the strongest guys there, i'll give the guy that, but pushing 190 on the incline is not light weight, it's not heavy but not light either. as he walks back by again, as i'm pulling the plates off, i ask "i'm missed what you said before, i have the volume up, what was it?" he proceeded to tell me again and then i asked him if he'd like to go for a jog downstrairs on the treadmill for about 20 minutes, which pissed him off. he said "i don't run or jog that for p****'s", i replied "theres a difference between don't and can't" and contuined to ask him "maybe you can explaine to me why lifting something 3 times is better than 10", he could not and got really red in the face (just like after a set of 3 reps) and walked away. now it was a bit stupid of me to feed into his comments the way i did, this i'll admit and don't get me wrong, he could crush me like a grape it he ever got a hold of me, but my question to the powerlifters here is, why is powerlifting so much better or is it just different and this guy was just a run of the mill d***? again, and i can't stress this enough, for whatever reason you're in the gym, i respect it and am not better than you, unless you're just there to hang out and stand by the squat rack, if that is you, then yes, i am better than you :veryhappy:.........

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many people, regardless of hobby, want to think their way is the only way and all other avenues are a wasted trip...

That guy's personality would probably be the same if the roles were reversed and he'd walk by and make a snarky comment about reps and not being able to run. I've heard and even have used a "when are you gonna put some weight on that" but in a different context. Usually a way of making a joke out of someone lifting a lot of weight.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
The guys was a D!ck, not a powerlifter. The vast majority of powerlifters you meet are going to be pretty laid back people that could care less what others are doing unless its something really ridiculous. Now onto your other question, the main difference between powerlifting and other types of training is that powerlifting focuses much more on training the nervous system for movements rather than focusing on muscular development.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many people, regardless of hobby, want to think their way is the only way and all other avenues are a wasted trip...

That guy's personality would probably be the same if the roles were reversed and he'd walk by and make a snarky comment about reps and not being able to run. I've heard and even have used a "when are you gonna put some weight on that" but in a different context. Usually a way of making a joke out of someone lifting a lot of weight.
The guys was a D!ck, not a powerlifter. The vast majority of powerlifters you meet are going to be pretty laid back people that could care less what others are doing unless its something really ridiculous. Now onto your other question, the main difference between powerlifting and other types of training is that powerlifting focuses much more on training the nervous system for movements rather than focusing on muscular development.

I agree 100%. Everybody has their own style, and this guys attitude would have been the same if he was playing monopoly. a jerk is the same regardless of what they are doing.

Also, based on what pm said, he is correct in my experience. The strongest guys I have ever met, were also the quietest and nicest.

I have also used that line "put a little weight on", typically as a joke. However, when I was younger, and a jerk myself at times, there would be guys moaning with 135 on the bar, then I would say it too. Along with "oh, that is a little weight on this bar"

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
that guy was a ****. i dont understand powerlifting either but i am about to start a modified westside so i need to learn fast.
i have 2 close friends who are powerlifters, smart as hell and really nice, i learn a ton from them.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
that guy's attitude runs contrary to EVERY powerlifter I have met, both in the gym and at meets. Every one of them has been a well-meaning, helpful individual and its one of the main reasons I love doing it. I hope you get to meet someone truly representative of the sport.

I almost feel like I need to apologize for his snide comments.

bigmoe65

bigmoe65

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would have to say the problem was you were probably in the way of him getting a good workout. You probably were using crappy form which pissed him off also. I think you should stick to cardio.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I would have to say the problem was you were probably in the way of him getting a good workout. You probably were using crappy form which pissed him off also. I think you should stick to cardio.
you know you might be right. i've been told i run like girl and if i'm running at least i'll have practice running away from big strong guys that are mean and hurt my feelings.......thanks for the advise you really put it in perspective for me.......

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I used to powerlift and although I havent for years everyone i ever met was nice and friendly, always willing to go out of there way to spot someone and to give advice on form.....I think you just found a jerk......

TC

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I agree with everyone. There are ass holes in every group. I psudo powerlift and in my experience most are helpful. I find the stronger someone is the less they feel the need to prove themselves. Plus the only person anyone should compair themselves to is themself. I only care about how much better I am than I was the day before. There is always some one bigger stronger or better. Guess you found the ass of this group.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let me first start out by saying that for whatever reason you lift, exercise or do whatever you do in life, i respect that it is your thing and you do it for your own reasons.

Yesterday i was in the....you guessed it, the gym and was doing my thing. it was chest day and i was on the hammer-strength incline press. between sets i was watching these powerlifters scream and grunt pushing 3 reps, granted it was heavy weight. i wasn't staring just glancing from time to time between them and the tv. powerlifting has always interested me cause i don't get it and wonder what the deal is so i'm trying to understand. after my last set one of the guys walks by, grins and in a condesending voice says "why don't you put some weight on there?". now i'm not the strongest guys there, i'll give the guy that, but pushing 190 on the incline is not light weight, it's not heavy but not light either. as he walks back by again, as i'm pulling the plates off, i ask "i'm missed what you said before, i have the volume up, what was it?" he proceeded to tell me again and then i asked him if he'd like to go for a jog downstrairs on the treadmill for about 20 minutes, which pissed him off. he said "i don't run or jog that for p****'s", i replied "theres a difference between don't and can't" and contuined to ask him "maybe you can explaine to me why lifting something 3 times is better than 10", he could not and got really red in the face (just like after a set of 3 reps) and walked away. now it was a bit stupid of me to feed into his comments the way i did, this i'll admit and don't get me wrong, he could crush me like a grape it he ever got a hold of me, but my question to the powerlifters here is, why is powerlifting so much better or is it just different and this guy was just a run of the mill d***? again, and i can't stress this enough, for whatever reason you're in the gym, i respect it and am not better than you, unless you're just there to hang out and stand by the squat rack, if that is you, then yes, i am better than you :veryhappy:.........
What I bolded is money, lol! Well played, sir.

I'm a pretty mellow guy by nature myself, but I can't stand arrogant pricks. Nothing is more satisfying than turning someones failed attempt at condescension or sarcasm into their own personal mockery. :D

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
In my experiences,... powerlifters are no different than bodybuilders,...in the fact you have both stand up, very cool guys,.... but then you also have total douche-bags.

I have met BB'ers that would be glad to shoot the sh*t all day, and help others immensely, and then I have meet ones where they think everyone in the gym is only present to watch them w/o and pose in the mirror. Same goes for powerlifters. I have met guys that have lifted for many years, and are unbelievably nice guys. Then I have met others that feel its necessary to walk around the gym bragging about their PR's and how everyone else is inferior to them.

Point is, it doesn't have anything to do with either sport. Some people are genuinely good people, and others are the so-called trash of society.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
In my experiences,... powerlifters are no different than bodybuilders,...in the fact you have both stand up, very cool guys,.... but then you also have total douche-bags.

I have met BB'ers that would be glad to shoot the sh*t all day, and help others immensely, and then I have meet ones where they think everyone in the gym is only present to watch them w/o and pose in the mirror. Same goes for powerlifters. I have met guys that have lifted for many years, and are unbelievably nice guys. Then I have met others that feel its necessary to walk around the gym bragging about their PR's and how everyone else is inferior to them.

Point is, it doesn't have anything to do with either sport. Some people are genuinely good people, and others are the so-called trash of society.
Well said, Those people would be jackasses even if they where not powerlifting.

Being jacked does not mean being a jackass!

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
powerlifter = strong human

bodybuilder = well built human

that guy = douchebag! :D

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's been a fantasy of mine most of my life to get that powerlifting look. The chicks really dig it. Pretty soon, I'm planning to shave my head, grow a gotee, wear a singlet, and walk around with chalk over 70% of my body. I just need to get my waistline up to about 46" first. That's the hard part!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
It's been a fantasy of mine most of my life to get that powerlifting look. The chicks really dig it. Pretty soon, I'm planning to shave my head, grow a gotee, wear a singlet, and walk around with chalk over 70% of my body. I just need to get my waistline up to about 46" first. That's the hard part!
Just to clarify we don't walk around in singlets, thats a double ply squat suit.......

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I suggest adding a hearty dose of lard into your diet roids.

It's bound to to improve your outlook as well :thumbsup:

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just to clarify we don't walk around in singlets, thats a double ply squat suit.......
Whatever. It's pretty friggin sexy whatever it is, especially when it fits really tight in the gut and crotch area and gets covered in chalk.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Whatever. It's pretty friggin sexy whatever it is, especially when it fits really tight in the gut and crotch area and gets covered in chalk.
...sounds like BHG rubbed off on ya,......

haha!

russiandave

Awards
ah man, the gym is like any other public place. you will encounter the full gambit of personality types. just shrug it off and do your own thing. thats how i try to live my life.

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
He's just about done with a Huge cycle! Your fine.

Happy spinning!

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Usually powerlifters and big dudes are nice since they have nothing they need to prove.

rab71

rab71

Awards
OMG! I just found this post and laughed my a$$ off! You guys are funny as he!!:biglaugh:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you know, everyone has that one exercise they can do better than your friends : for whatever reason, be it genetics, be it your favorite thing to train. next time someone says what you're lifting is light, have them join you for a set of 10 reps of your best movement :)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Next time you encounter this, here's what you do...

HIM:"Aren't you going to put some weight on there? Haha."

YOU:CRUNCH! (sound of plate crushing his esophogus)

HIM:"Gack! Gasp...gasp! Ugggll!"

YOU: "I'm sorry. Did you mean to imply that 45 pounds is not heavy? Because it seems your larynx couldn't even handle that much."

HIM:"Gaspppp...ack!"

YOU:"Hey, could you guys come and get your friend off the floor? He's in the way of my wittle girly workout."

Then maybe lick some blood off your face or something similarly psychotic appearing.

Just kidding. I don't advocate violence although I recognize its utility in present hypothetical scenarios. Some dudes just have to challenge everyone they see even if you weren't technically a "challenger". See if he'd like to take part in a math quiz next time.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
so long as you're not an upper body whore and you dont bicep curl in the squat rack... I dont see why powerlifters would be such *******s to ya

the ones I talk to are awesome with giving me advice and tips on the big lifts like squats, deads and bench even tho I aint training for any powerlifting competitions...

They know their **** when it comes to exercise science