Anyone a Fireman/know one?

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking I need a career change, and I was thinking of becoming a fireman. The thing is, I have no idea about how to do it. Do I walk in city hall/ or the local firestation and just start asking questions? Anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know a couple, the requirements vary from city to city. Usually you take a open test with a few other hundread people, and the top scores proceed on through the hiring process, then attend the academy after you are hired.

Airport Fire safety is another avenue, or wildland firefighting.

paul3371

Awards
I was thinking I need a career change, and I was thinking of becoming a fireman. The thing is, I have no idea about how to do it. Do I walk in city hall/ or the local firestation and just start asking questions? Anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm a firefighter. The way i did it was I took a 9 week preservice fire academy at a local community college. After I was done with that I went on to take my EMT and paramedic course at the same college. The medic and emt class was over a year long. Many depts. require you to be a paramedic not just a f/f and EMT. Some of the bigger cities have their own academys too. You can pick up applications at the cities human resources dept. Keep a look out for ads in the paper also. A good website is www.firecareers.com it has alll the available jobs in the the US.
Just remember there is a lot of competition and they like a clean criminal and driving record. Good luck man

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
You need to know this is what you want before you go putting yourself through a fire academy and spend all that money. Try getting on with your local fire department as a reserve firefighter. Most departments are always looking for reserves because they basically work for free. This will give you a good look at what the job is all about. Plus, it will provide you with good training, and knowledge. If you are lucky, that department may even pay for you to go through the fire academy, or will hold a full-time position for when you complete it.

Best of luck to you.

nebmusclehead

Awards
I am a volunteer firefighter in a small mid-west town. The local village board pays for each member to attend a course called Firefighter-One. They also pay for EMT classes at the community college, being a volunteer is rewarding in itself, but when they pay for your training it is a real bonus. The training and certifications gained will be helpful in obtaining a future paid position in a larger city. Look in to it.

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
Is this something you can do while working a full-time job? I very seriously doubt that I can quit my job just so I can take classes and hope something opens up.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Most people who work as a volunteer, have either a regular job and/or attend school at the same time. The volunteer route, in my opinion, is the best way to go.

nebmusclehead

Awards
I still maintain a traveling full time job. The firefighter one course can even be taken online now similar to a correspondence course.

COLOSSUS

Awards
i am working on becoming a firefighter also. im attending EMT and fire classes at a community college. the problem is..............here in honolulu, hawaii. they only hire once every two years. and theres 200 openings but 3500 people show up to take the test.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
i am working on becoming a firefighter also. im attending EMT and fire classes at a community college. the problem is..............here in honolulu, hawaii. they only hire once every two years. and theres 200 openings but 3500 people show up to take the test.
That's where being a volunteer can work in your favor. How many of those 3500 people are volunteers, and how many are just wishful dreamers. The volunteer status gives one an inside advantage, also looks good on the resume. ;)

viking

Awards
I was a firefighter for several years.
Cuffs is correct in all that he said.
It will depend on the county / state but where I am at:
Volunteers are always needed and appreciated.
Right now you only have a romantic notion of the job,
becoming a volunteer will let you see the reality without major life changes.
Blacks, hispanics and women will be hired before white males regardless of wether or not they can actually perform the job because of quotas. Thank the democrats and government for putting everyone's life in danger in the name of progress.
Everything else being equal (or unequal), volunteers will always be hired before someone with no experience.
Volunteers can be sent at no cost to them to any class offered to any paid firefighter,
it's up to the training officer or chief.
It's boring as hell or scary as hell depending on the day and you will hear every joke ever told at least 3 times.

viking

COLOSSUS

Awards
lol........im hispanic so i guess the odds are in my favor...........the only thing is...i live in honolulu...lol. Minorities are the majority here.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
i used to be a firefighter. the previous point about quotas is wrong IN states that have passed anti-racial preference initiatives, like Cali and Wa state. in many other states, it is sadly true.

i used to live in HI as well. HI firefighter jobs are EXTREMELY political, brah.

get used to that.