Are supplements a waste of money?

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
It has been discussed a bunch of times on a lot of boards but I have first hand experience. In prison you don't have leucine and stinging nettle, and creatine, etc. Also despite common belief you don't have access to steroids. Not saying it has never happened but in the 4 years I spent in there I can say I never seen steroids in prison. Also there are not big helpings of food like some people believe. It is basically enough to keep you alive. It is a lot of processed foods. Not nutrient dense or whole. You don't stand in a chow line. You get a tray. It has what it has and thats it.

The biggest guys from what I saw did everything wrong. Worked the same muscle groups everyday (i.e. push ups 3 times a day everyday), no PWO drink, no caloric excess, not even a multi vitamin. Guys that were skinny in school blew up in prison (ones I went to school with).

Other than creatine, prohormones, vitamins, and protein powder I personally won't spend anymore money on supplements.

Thoughts?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
There was a big thread about steroids in prison and how wide spread it was somewhere in here. I think in the Supplement Articles section for some reason???

Anyhow, depends, they are more over just an added bonus to make working out more interesting. Maybe give you an extra boost to make PR's easier to hit, to encourage pumps to promote the best growth, etc.

I think many work, as well there are many that dont. Really, if I paid 30 bucks for some sugar pills, but I pt on 15 lbs of muscle that month, I dont give a darn if this pills gave me the mentality I could push myself harder, or what not, and I was able to do better even if it was jsut mind over matter. Money well spent, cheap psychology in that case.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
I think rumors of steroids in prison are started by people that never been there. I was in there 92-96. Times may of changed and there may be a lot now considering how easy it is to get them, but still, even then when I can say with a lot of certainty they weren't, people still grew like crazy on 3 meals a day, lifting, and rest only.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I think rumors of steroids in prison are started by people that never been there. I was in there 92-96. Times may of changed and there may be a lot now considering how easy it is to get them, but still, even then when I can say with a lot of certainty they weren't, people still grew like crazy on 3 meals a day, lifting, and rest only.
Being the very critical word here.

If i could take 3 or 4 power naps a day, I can guarantee more growth then when Im slaving 9 hours a day in this midwest humid ass heat.

Trying my hardest just to stay hydrated and cool enough to spoon down some food.

My buddy got locked down for 2 years, he put on a solid 20 pounds and I swear his arms grew 3 or 4 inches.

A little training, food and alot of rest is what he said.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
True I forgot they can sleep all the time. I'm not a jail guy, and IMO if it came down to that, you will be burying my body, I will not be caged like an animal.

texaswolf

texaswolf

Awards
  • Established
For the most part supplements are pretty much a waste of money.

Adam23294

Adam23294

Banned
Awards
Haven't you seen Lockup or Gangland? Inmates don't exercise to get jacked...they have to stay fit in case a race war breaks out. Steroids or supps in prison won't do **** to stop a sharpened toothbrush anyways.

Droppingloads

Droppingloads

Awards
  • Established
I agree, supplements do nothing.

Stick to protein powder, a carb for after SFW and that's all you need. Oh and a cheap bottle of caffeine pills if you really need something to wake you up before SFW.

GICH!

J

jonnyxbox22

Awards
i don't know about supplements doing nothing...i've taken plenty of stuff over the years and i've run into some things that work exceptionally well and some things that were a total waste of money. i think it just depends on the person. i don't think they are vital to growing but they can help

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
i don't know about supplements doing nothing...i've taken plenty of stuff over the years and i've run into some things that work exceptionally well and some things that were a total waste of money. i think it just depends on the person. i don't think they are vital to growing but they can help
exactly, thats why they are called SUPPLEMENTS not guranteed muscle pills, although most do gurantee that

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
99% of supps do nothing but lighten your wallet! Everytime I see some clown walking out of a store with a jug of NO Explode or some Nano-creaoxide Explosion bull****, I just wanna :saw:

Protien powder (whey & casien), creatine, multivitiman, and food are all anyone really needs. Some caffeine is good if you need it like Loads said. A little Test Prop from time to time can be a big help also.

GICH!

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
exactly, thats why they are called SUPPLEMENTS not guranteed muscle pills, although most do gurantee that
good points! Not a waste of money if you selectively choose what you intake.

jsheely

jsheely

Awards
  • Established
Some work, some don't. The ones that say Muscletech generally don't.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I have taken supplements that work for sure........

Strength, libido, sleep, mood............ etc

They are just supplements though- Proper caloric intake, proper training, good sleep and good genetics are the staples.

Sanesloot

Sanesloot

Banned
Awards
For the most part, supps suck. They only work "in your head"

I stick to, Bronkaid, Home-made Caffeine pills, Yohimbine, and Baby Aspirin.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I say we ban ALL supplements... oh wait... no don't do that!

As for what works, the science is behind creatine, beta-alanine and a few other products. Many others work some or but not others; whether its the placebo effect, does it matter when it works for you? Nutrient partitioners work pretty well for me. Also ECY is another winner. The Carnitines (PLCAR, ALCAR ) etc are fully back by science. Supplement with some Vitamins , Greens+ etc.... Fish Oils are supplements that are worth taking.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I wish I had Bovine Growth running through my blood like alot of you big fockers, but I dont.

I didnt win that lottery.

So for us not so huge guys, we do what we have to.

Supplements can help, and they are legal. For now.

Like Steve stated, alot of them actually have some science behind them.

Go figure.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So because you never saw them in the one prison you were in means they dont exist? Not discounting your time there, but your experience doesn't define the entire prison system.

Back to your question though, if you had nothing to do but eat, train and rest sure you will grow. Thats what the pros do. The 5-6 meals a day stuff has no real backing, and a pound of muscle only has 160g of protein in it. So guys who say you need 300-400g to bulk are crazy.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I have found very few supplements that make a large difference. Ones that I stand behind are Alcar, creatine, NO products such as arginine/ citrulline.. besides those not a lot more.

Prison is actually a good environment for bodybuilding. You get your 3 meals a day. (all you need is sufficient cals for growth). You got a different time schedule. Prison time is not like the real world. You aren't multi-tasking as much, you aren't rushing trying to make a deadline. Your getting plenty of rest. (that is if you can sleep). Life would be built around lifting more then life first then squeezing in lifting after work. It makes all the difference. Remember though a lot comes down to genetics for overall results..

When I was going to school a couple years ago I wasn't working and all I was doing was lifting/eating right/sleeping and I had the greatest gains to date. A small guy I used to know got out of prison about a year or 2 ago. He robbed a bank when he was a teen. He was incredibly ripped for his size. He told us he would just workout all the time.. that is when he wasn't watching his back.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a jail guy, and IMO if it came down to that, you will be burying my body, I will not be caged like an animal.
I have long felt that imprisonment is far more cruel punishment than execution. Leaves dignity intact, protects the public, saves a bundle.

And a good reminder for why we'd rather not punish the innocent by mistake.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I have long felt that imprisonment is far more cruel punishment than execution. Leaves dignity intact, protects the public, saves a bundle.

And a good reminder for why we'd rather not punish the innocent by mistake.
unfortanetly, it happens everyday.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
So because you never saw them in the one prison you were in means they dont exist? Not discounting your time there, but your experience doesn't define the entire prison system.
Not my exact words.

I can vouch for what I witnessed. I was in a maximum security prison. No contact visits. No leaving the pod without CO's taking you where you are going. Pretty much almost impossible to obtain contraband. Without glorifying the experience, because there is nothing good about being a criminal, I was in the know. Cash and cigarettes were unobtainable. A guy I went to school with was a CO on a pod I was on for 3 months (that was their rotation until they went to the next one). He said he couldn't bring anything in to me. He said they screened him very thoroughly before he entered the prison.

It wasn't like Oz or prisons on TV. It was strict. Contraband was non existent. THESE inmates didn't have steroids, creatine, glutamine, notta. Just protein powder that was available in the commissary. Most couldn't afford it. The prison was so overcrowded the gym became a dorm by my 3rd year. Guys did push ups and used water bags. Ate their 3 meals a day and commissary items like a popular concoction with cup of soup noodles, mayo, and tuna. They grew.

I am sure can be attributed to muscle memory before they started smoking crack, and some genetics, but is was like everyone got big.

What I am getting at is could this whole thing be simplified? I personally believe supp companies pimp items with science backing the products but paper and reality usually tell two different tales. Carbs, PWO and leucine, and whatever else is the new thing is probably no more effective than eating, lifting, and resting. Methoxy and Ecdysterone products were a waste of my money IMO.

My personal experience is I get results from steroids, pro hormones, creatine monohydrate (CEE did nothing for me), a couple NO2 products gave me nice pumps but probably didn't add anymore muscle than I wouldn't of gotten without them, and of course protein and aminos are building blocks be it from powders, pills, or food.

I am personally focusing on the basics from now on. Non methylated pro hormones, injectable steroids, creatine, protein powders, good diet, and rest.

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
I am personally focusing on the basics from now on. Non methylated pro hormones, injectable steroids, creatine, protein powders, good diet, and rest.
if these are the basics i may need to re-evaluate my sh!t lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, those are all guaranteed to work, there is definitely a bit of a "maybe it will work for me" on many supplements outside of that

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
yeah, those are all guaranteed to work, there is definitely a bit of a "maybe it will work for me" on many supplements outside of that
so which of these so called "injectable steroids" and "pro-hormones" should i start with? haha jk

texaswolf

texaswolf

Awards
  • Established
Pheraplex and it's clones are a pretty good place to start as far as prohormones.

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
Pheraplex and it's clones are a pretty good place to start as far as prohormones.
haha man i was just kiddin, i know plenty bout hormones.... and unfortunately one of those things is i'm not old enough

texaswolf

texaswolf

Awards
  • Established
haha man i was just kiddin, i know plenty bout hormones.... and unfortunately one of those things is i'm not old enough
Yea, your body is it's own test factory most likely anyways if you are in your teens or early 20s.

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
Yea, your body is it's own test factory most likely anyways if you are in your teens or early 20s.
in reality thats not the case, most studies indicate only about a 5% decrease of test prod. from 21-25 and not quite 10 from 21-30, growth and development IMO is the reason you should stay away at a young age