Help with what dog breed to go with

J

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm thinking about getting a new dog. I miss having one after my 16yr old cocker spaniel(awesome dog) died. Before him I had a doberman. Anyway I like big muscular dogs(I guess its because of the influence bodybuilding has on me)lol. So far I've been researching doberman pinschers, cane corsos, boerboels, presa canarios, pitt bulls, bull mastiffs, mastiffs, canis panthers, donovan pinschers, alapaha bulldogs, american bulldogs, and bandogges. Anyway I just can't decide wich I want to go with although I'm really leaning towards the bull mastiff. I just wanted to see if anybody has any suggestions with such breeds. I'm looking for a good looking muscular that will be fun to play with but also a fierless watchdog for my girl when I'm at work. By the way anybody that knows any breeders with outstanding dogs of any such breed I would greatly appreciate a point in the right direction.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have a french mastiff, and I will never have any different. They are great with kids, only protective when they have to be, and their temperment is awesome.

Judging from the breeds you listed I hope that you know that you are not talking about a cheap dog, mine was almost 2G's. But well worth it.

If you want a list of some good breeders I can get you some.

If you want a mean dog Per'se then a French mastiff or bull are not the way to go, they are great dogs.

Dogo Argentino-argentinian mastiff is another that you might be interested in, but once again be prepared to pay the price.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
By the way if you need any mastiff info, I can point you in the right direction.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oh and I know one of the top three breeders for bull mastiffs, I can get a hold of him for you if you want. His main dog was the mastiff you saw at the Westminster dog show.

Trapark666

Trapark666

Awards
I grew up with a doberman, from when I was five until I had to put him to sleep because of stomach cancer when I was eighteen. One of the best dogs I've ever had. Then I started hunting and switched over to labs. Now that I guide some waterfowl hunts, that's all I have. I know they aren't what you are looking for but they are good with kids, easy to train and make great pets. Other than that, I still like dobermans.

Last edited:
Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Tosa Inu, you can't get a bigger, more muscular dog than this.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Here is a good descriptor of the Tosa:

The Tosa, also called the Tosa-Inu or Tosa-Ken, is a stately, massive dog. Athletic and surprisingly agile. The head is large, with a broad skull, fairly abrupt stop, and a moderately long, squared-off muzzle. The jaws are very powerful. The skin at the neck forms a dewlap. The ears are fairly small and pendant, falling along the cheeks. The eyes are small, dark and almond-shaped, with a dignified expression. The long tail is very thick at the root then tapers to a point, reaching the hocks. The short-haired coat is dense and harsh. The preferred color is solid red, though black, yellow, black & tan, fawn, brindle and multi-colored is also permissible.

Temperament
The Tosa is a brave, fearless and bold dog. Very attuned to his master's wishes and greatly sensitive to the tone of ones voice. Protective and loyal. Exceptionally quiet, calm and patient. The Tosa has been bred to be a very quiet dog because Japanese dog fighting rules require the dogs to fight silently. They are highly intelligent and do not need repetitious training, but do require an equable, consistent, friendly approach. The dog is very affectionate towards their family members and more reserved with strangers, but will accept newcomers if properly introduced. It places its family first and foremost, but known visitors are usually happily greeted. Both males and females make excellent home and family protectors and companions. The sheer size of the Tosa and his deep bark are effective deterrents. Tosas show remarkable acceptance of children and will not snap or bite from fear or pain. However, due to the Tosa's size, he should not be left with children unsupervised. The owner must learn to control the Tosa, as the breed is too large and strong to be unmannerly. Good with other dogs and pets only when raised with them from puppyhood. They tend to be fairly dog aggressive. Keep the Tosa away from other dogs that may want to fight, because the Tosa will most certainly win. They are not recommended in a home with other dogs of the same sex, size and temperament. They have a very high pain tolerance due to their fighting origins. This breed requires a strong and experienced owner capable of dealing with a large, powerful animal. With proper training and control, the Tosa can be a good family companion. Self aware, a very good guard and watchdog. This is not a breed for beginners.

Height, Weight
Height: around 24 (60 cm.)
Weight 83-200 pounds (37½-90½ kg.)
The large height and weight ranges in the Tosa breed is due to their background in dog fighting; they are grouped into light, middle and heavyweight classes. The average weight for the USA Tosas are: males 120-170 pounds (54-77 kg.), females 90-140 pounds. In Japan the Tosa weighs about 66-88 pounds (30-40 kg.) - smaller than those bred in the West.

Health Problems
Both parents should have the following certificates: CERF (eyes) and OFA (hips and elbows). Also prone to bloat. Ask about bloat in the lines. Bloat can be a major problem in these large dogs.

Living Conditions
The Tosa will do okay in an apartment if it gets enough exercise. It is relatively inactive indoors and a small yard will do as long as it gets enough exercise. This breed is not suitable for kennel life. They like to be close to their owners and would be unhappy.

Exercise
With a well-fenced and large enough area of land, the Tosa can happily look after its own exercise demands. In theory this breed requires only an average demand for exercise but will enjoy and be healthier with more. They make good jogging companions.

Life Expectancy
About 10-12 years.

Grooming
The Tosa is easy to groom. An occasional brushing to remove dead and loose hair is all that is needed to keep the coat looking good. Unlike many other mastiff-type dogs, the Tosa does not drool. This breed is a light shedder.

Origin
The Tosa often was referred to as the "Sumo wrestler of the dog world." It has been bred for hundreds of years in Japan. It was developed between the period of 1868 and 1912 by crosses with the Kochi (a local Japanese breed) and native Shikoku fighting dogs. The Tosa we recognize today was developed in the late 1800's. The best of the Japanese Tosas were crossed with newly imported European breeds such as the Great Dane, Mastiff, Bulldog, Bull Terrier and St. Bernard, to increase its size. The result was a powerful, agile and athletic mastiff-type dog. In Japan, the Tosa is considered a national treasure. Although dog fighting is now illegal in Europe, North America, and Japan, secret, illegal pit fights continue in remote rural regions of Japan, where the Tosa, at 66-88 pounds (30-40 kg.) - smaller than those bred in the West - is still used for fighting. The breed excels at Japanese-style dog fighting. Japanese dog-fighting rules in the last century demanded that dogs fight silently, without cowering, and the Tosa fought by these rules - relentlessly and silently. The Tosa is a rare breed, even in their native land and have only recently been introduced to the USA. Unfortunately, this breed is banned in some countries as a dangerous breed. It is definitely unsuitable for beginners, but with the proper socialization, handling and training, it can make a wonderful family companion. This massive dog excels at weight-pulling and makes a great watch and guard dog.

Group
Mastiff

Recognition
CKC, FCI, NKC

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Tosas are a very cool dog, japanese in desent. They are definately not for the inexperianced with any type of mastiff. Early training is definately needed.

But they are a cool dog.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Also that dog would not do well in a apartment. I know my mastiif wouldn't. They take up a lot of room.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I thought that statement was a little absurd. About the only huge dog I know of that would do well in an apartment is the Newfoundland. They have such slow metabolisms and require so little in the way of exercise that an apartment wouldn't be a burden.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My parents have two newffies. Man you want to talk about a dog that slobers.

But they have the best temperment of any dog I have ever seen.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Man , I love Newfoundlands. The gentle giant as I call them. You're not kidding about the slobber though. Also, they shed so bad twice a year that the term for it is called "Blowing Coat". But you can't find a nicer dog. Also, they are instinctive in saving things in the water.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
They are so good with my daughters, my french mastiff is to. They never get awnry or anything, I love both of those breeds. Tosa's are awesome, but like I said you need experiance.

I love newffies though, my parents have had different ones for over forty years now.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Tosa are definitely not for beginners. My friend breeds Fila's and has a Tosa. The Tosa I've know since a pup, so he digs me and we can roughhouse without danger. The Fila's, if you don't know them as pup, you can't really be around them as an adult without the owner. A couple of his really like me, but most, since I'm not around them a lot, keep their distance and growl constantly.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The old Brazilian mastiff. I like Filas, but with living on a Air Force base and lots of kids around, I have to have a dog with a good temperment.

Fila's are good looking dogs though, but they were originally bred to hunt jaguars, so there temperment hasn't changed much.

Have you ever seen Dogo Argentino's? The argentinian mastiff, they are cool looking.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I would go with an American Red-nosed Pit-Bull.....if you can find one. My friend has one and about 3 months ago it had pups with a Japanese Pit. The pups were HUGE!!

THe Red-nose are sometimes harder to find but they are IMO a good sized dog and good looking too. Not to small, but not gigantic. I don't know where you live, but if you want me to hook you up with one of the "new" pups from the red-nose/jap-pit, hit me up with a PM.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
I never see the Dogo Argentino. I'll have to look that up.

The coolest thing about the Fila's is that the dog can attack from any angle, off balance and still be dead on, and it always seems to go for the neck. Even when I'm just playing with them, always mouth around my neck. I would never have those dogs around kids.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
All Dog's are pure white, there is no color variations. I tlokks like a mastiff/pit bull mix. Gorgeous dogs.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Here's a pic of the type of red-noses' I like. Also, I don't like getting their ears done, they look cuter w/o it imo. This is just a pic off of some random breeders website. I think they said this pit was 10 or so weeks.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't like the cropped ears either.

I had a blue pit until last fall.. He was old and sick and I had to put him down. He was a awesome dog 110pounds of heart.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I don't like the cropped ears either.

I had a blue pit until last fall.. He was old and sick and I had to put him down. He was a awesome dog 110pounds of heart.
Man, that had to hurt bro. They can be friendly as can be. A true man's best friend.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It tore my wife upo worse than me. I bought him as a puupy,when I first came in the AirForce as Pararescue or PJ to some. I was gone a lot, so I wanted something for protection. The funny thing is I never heard him growl at anyone. When we were in Utah though you should have seen what he did to a would be burgalar.

I thought I would have trouble with him and the French Matiff, since they were both boys, but I never did. He was the best damn dog, my girls could play dress up on him, and he loved it.

God Damn he was a great dog, I miss him.

S

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Last I checked, Tosas were illegal in California. One got loose and killed a couple people. My next dog is most likely a Dogue de Bordeaux(french mastiff). I would absolutely recommend Akitas, I have one now, he is a sweetheart, never barks, no dog smell whatsoever, blows coat out 2X/year. Fantastic temperament, great dog.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you need some good breeders for French mastiffs I can help you out.

S

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
if you have any web sites, would love to have a look

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Give me a minute, for who I would consider the best in the country.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Scotty, are you sure your not thinking about Presa's?

S

size

Awards
  • Established
Save a dog. Go to the pound and get a good looking mutt.

S

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Sifu, how are the Dogues with odor? If they smell anything like bulldogs..........no thanks.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Do you mean farting wise? My pit was way worse. Zeus doesn't have a odor or anything. I mean he lets wind and all, but nothing out of the ordinary.

S

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
No, not farting, I mean dog smell, in general, some breeds smell worse than others. Sometimes you walk in someone's house and you know they have a dog without seeing it. My Akita has no such odor, whereas the little beagle does.

S

size

Awards
  • Established
Bulldogs sometimes have "smells" about them b/c skin conditions are common in them.

L

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
Check out your local shelter. Don't limit yourself by pre-choosing a breed. There are thousands of dogs in shelters that need homes. I have 2 dogs I adopted as puppies & would never do it any other way. I'm sure you'd be happy going that route.

Why pay a breeder a grand when thousands of dogs are already stuck without homes & facing euthansia? Adoption is about $80. If you do have a specific breed in mind, the shelters can let you know if one comes in.

S

size

Awards
  • Established
Dog shelters are a great place to get a new pet.

D

db682

Awards
  • Established
Pitbull lover allday!

Heres mine.

I rescued the first one from a guy that used to fight him. He was going to kill him cause he got tore up real bad in a fight. I had to get him about 37 stitched all over his neck, face, chest and front legs and a splint for a broken front leg. The pictures old but he's still pretty scared up but nice as hell (unless your a cat or lizard). The neighbors are quick to go inside when Im walking my dogs especially when they see pinhead. The other one is Pumba, my wife named her. Shes the freakin happiest animal to walk the earth. Love'em both! :D

db

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not if it is from a reputable breeder. I had a blue for over ten years, and I am far from ghetto.

S

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
If I even was to consider pit, I would go American Staffordshire

S

size

Awards
  • Established
I like staffordshires.

However, I think many people get pitbulls, mastiffs, rots, etc. for all the WRONG REASONS. People seem to like to get these dogs for the tough image they are associated with and it is unfortunate. Result is a neglected or abused dog that lives up to its negative stereotype b/c of a bad owner.

S

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That is so true, I won't deny that. That is why so many people were afraid of my dog. Even though he was a big teddy bear.

D

db682

Awards
  • Established
Ok I guess Im ghetto then.

This = Ghetto!

1= Both my vehicles & wifes Blazer in the back.
2= What resides in my vehicles.
3= See above.
4= Property in Miami.
5= Property in Daytona.
6= Ghetto dog in a ghetto ride.
7= Ghetto GATOR!!!

:cool: :D ;)

db

Born and raised ghetto.

P

PC1

Maybe smaller than what you're looking for, but my favorite dog growing up as a kid was a wire haired fox terrier. Very atheletic and a GREAT personality, also a very good watch dog. A perfect companion for a kid.

B

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
great dane. had 5, best god damn dogs on the planet.