Let's Play a Game ......

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
You have a wife, and multiple children.

All of the children are too young to provide for themselves.

Your relatives’ resources have been all but exhausted.

You are out of work, you have exhausted your savings (401, stocks, bank account is almost gone) and all companies have quit hiring new workers, and all of your side gigs have been exhausted (cutting grass, selling supplements online, personal training, painting, pressure washing, washing cars, building, barbering, collecting aluminum, baby sitting, all options gone)

You must provide medicine, food, and keep shelter for your family…

Do you or would you :
A. Steal
B. Sell Drugs
C. Prostitute (Pimp)
D. Cheat people out of their earnings
E. Sell your own organs
F. Hunt wild game, consume and sell the food
G. Allow your family to go completely without until something comes up

Those are the options, no others ….

EDIT: Added some options

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
A. Steal, Gotta do what you gotta do. Even if its morally obscure, but any of these can be considered morally obscure and used against you.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dude, you've left some very viable alternatives out.

First off, the third choice (should be C, but you've labelled it D. I don't judge. Dyslexia is a common disorder) is done every day by people who do have jobs. ;)

Second off, there are several viable alternatives not assessed.

Wal-mart greeter. This is always open because they don't pay them or provide benefits. I don't blame them, I've never seen a greeter do anything at the Wal-mart I go to. They have multiple ones in front of the entrance, I guess the average greeter possesses the kind of compitency where they actually need someone to help them do nothing.

Prostitution - I think Quagmire of the show, Family Guy, said it best when he said, "Fat chicks need lovin' too.... they just gotta pay."

Pimping - lol, what could be cooler than being a pimp-daddy? Convince a slut that people would pay for it, and charge her for promoting it.

The Black Market - it isn't just drugs. Guns, weapons, labor, organs, children, the list goes on. You know how much your kidney is worth?

Bodily fluids - You can be paid for your blood plasma and for your sperm. I believe woman's ova can be sold as well, or she could be paid to carry another woman's baby, who might not be able to carry it herself due to various health reasons, but that's selling out your wife for 9 month's of hell that doesn't come with a little bundle of joy at the end.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I would provide food for my family by hunting game and provide shelter by building a squatters cabin in the woods. There is always a way to survive and make $$ in this world. Without resorting to crime or sitting on your ass waiting for something to happen.If I lived in the city,I would eat stuff out of restaurant garbages to survive if I needed to. If I had a family to support I would even sell a kidney no problem.You have to do what it takes to survive.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Dude, you've left some very viable alternatives out.

First off, the third choice (should be C, but you've labelled it D. I don't judge. Dyslexia is a common disorder) is done every day by people who do have jobs. ;)

Second off, there are several viable alternatives not assessed.

Wal-mart greeter. This is always open because they don't pay them or provide benefits. I don't blame them, I've never seen a greeter do anything at the Wal-mart I go to. They have multiple ones in front of the entrance, I guess the average greeter possesses the kind of compitency where they actually need someone to help them do nothing.

Prostitution - I think Quagmire of the show, Family Guy, said it best when he said, "Fat chicks need lovin' too.... they just gotta pay."

Pimping - lol, what could be cooler than being a pimp-daddy? Convince a slut that people would pay for it, and charge her for promoting it.

The Black Market - it isn't just drugs. Guns, weapons, labor, organs, children, the list goes on. You know how much your kidney is worth?

Bodily fluids - You can be paid for your blood plasma and for your sperm. I believe woman's ova can be sold as well, or she could be paid to carry another woman's baby, who might not be able to carry it herself due to various health reasons, but that's selling out your wife for 9 month's of hell that doesn't come with a little bundle of joy at the end.
I had to insert c when i pasted it out of word and forgot to change the order...no biggie.

Also I stated that all viable options have been exhausted (that means all other options are out), it's hypothetical. I figured that it was understood that all under ground black market options were open...guns, prostitution, drugs, etc...

I hardly doubt one can sell enough blood plasma to make mortgage payments. And, hell, we aren't all Will Smith, and this isn't Seven Pounds, lol.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I would provide food for my family by hunting game and provide shelter by building a squatters cabin in the woods. There is always a way to survive and make $$ in this world. Without resorting to crime or sitting on your ass waiting for something to happen.If I lived in the city,I would eat stuff out of restaurant garbages to survive if I needed to. If I had a family to support I would even sell a kidney no problem.You have to do what it takes to survive.
Interesting response on that point. You could probably survive selling the hunted game out to others.

But what if all of those side gigs are none existent? Then what's left? sell body parts, or crime, or nothing, correct? I mean, yeah, prostitution, but isn't that worse? Especially if you are prostituting yourself?

keeper

I'd sell a kidney. No problem doing that for my family.

(I'll actually be giving one to my lil sis eventually.)

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Interesting response on that point. You could probably survive selling the hunted game out to others.

But what if all of those side gigs are none existent? Then what's left? sell body parts, or crime, or nothing, correct? I mean, yeah, prostitution, but isn't that worse? Especially if you are prostituting yourself?
If there really was nothing left to do to make money.. or money was irrelevant for whatever reason(zombies)..it comes down to survival plain and simple...I would just live off the land. Survive the best I could.You only need food, water and shelter to live a good life. Scavenge,hunt,fish garden and farm.Somewhere in the wilds. Precisely the reason I stock up on ammo/arrows and other essential items for WTSHTF scenarios.It pays to be able to look after yourself in any situation..and to be prepared for when you have to.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I don't think living off the land will be an option. Given the amount of people trying to do this, there wouldn't be enough game in my opinion.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, would be to stockpile 6 months worth of food, water, and other necessities. If things come to a point where the economy fails and all hell breaks loose, the safest and best bet is to stay holed up at home. Have the people and resources with you to defend your home for six months without having to leave.

By the end of that 6 months, enough time would elapse that natural selection would have taken place. Those who were unprepared would kill each other off. Those that organize and prepare would have the best chance to come out of it.

Wetdawg

Wetdawg

Awards
Kid bring alot on the Black market these days. My kids are all grown. We all get to working together, we will all be fine.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I don't think living off the land will be an option. Given the amount of people trying to do this, there wouldn't be enough game in my opinion.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, would be to stockpile 6 months worth of food, water, and other necessities. If things come to a point where the economy fails and all hell breaks loose, the safest and best bet is to stay holed up at home. Have the people and resources with you to defend your home for six months without having to leave.

By the end of that 6 months, enough time would elapse that natural selection would have taken place. Those who were unprepared would kill each other off. Those that organize and prepare would have the best chance to come out of it.
There will not be many people in the wilderness trying to survive. I can gaurantee that.They would not last long. Most people in the modern world have never built a fire or hunted.They do not have stockpiles of ammunition or the ability to hunt with a bow or traditional weapon if their modern ammo stock runs out.There is more than enough to sustain your family. I do it every year on few animals.At home you WILL have to defend yourself against scavengers/looters.If you get deep enough you can live like a pioneer easily enough.I don't live in the city though and frankly a lot of people in the world would be SOL because they do.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
If there really was nothing left to do to make money.. or money was irrelevant for whatever reason(zombies)..it comes down to survival plain and simple...I would just live off the land. Survive the best I could.You only need food, water and shelter to live a good life. Scavenge,hunt,fish garden and farm.Somewhere in the wilds. Precisely the reason I stock up on ammo/arrows and other essential items for WTSHTF scenarios.It pays to be able to look after yourself in any situation..and to be prepared for when you have to.
Well, you make several good points. Remember though, money isn't irrelevant (the have's still have money), you just have no, or very LITTLE ways of making any. Basically, you are on the street like the average homeless guy, but have a wife and 3-4 kids to take care of (plus making money by working a job is out the window--traditional job that is)

Yet, you make good points. One's that I was looking for. If most of us really came to a situation where we would need to survive off of the land, then we'd be done. I KNOW i'd be done for. My parents could do it, well, my father could (mother died) but, they grew up in the 30's so they are used to doing that.

I think that most people would try every way possible to stay moral, yet, once that fades, the animal instinct comes out and we do whatever we need to for survival, even murder. (we have to take into consideration that this process might be 3-5 years on the street before we snap into just criminal activity, but I think 60% would go that route after 5 years living that way)

hardknock

Awards
  • Established

In that scenario, which actually was my next thread topic, LOL, everything is gone and so we would have to just live off of what we have. You are right. Eventually, natural selection would take place, but I doubt 6 months would do it. More like 3 years I believe.
I honestly believe that if everything just stopped and no one could get money for whatever reason to purchase anything then we'd have 20% commit suicide, 40% kill each other off, and the other 40% would be a toss up down the middle...I think that in the end, only 15% would survive. That's a damn lot of dead bodies out of 6 billion.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
stealing is one of the easiest things to pull off. Especially when you place it in your own situational choices. People just get greedy or too impatient is all.

I dont steel, but I ran a few theories and tests, jeeze you could take this country blind easy.

Times are getting bad. I see people grouping together and sharing homes soon.

And its all BS....so preventable is it to stop this country from whats going on.

Personally once I lose it all, Rifle + bullets + headhunting individuals who played a role in raping the population. I am not gona marry till this is better. That way I can spend my days hunting peeps should it come to it without worrying about a family

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Well, you make several good points. Remember though, money isn't irrelevant (the have's still have money), you just have no, or very LITTLE ways of making any. Basically, you are on the street like the average homeless guy, but have a wife and 3-4 kids to take care of (plus making money by working a job is out the window--traditional job that is)

Yet, you make good points. One's that I was looking for. If most of us really came to a situation where we would need to survive off of the land, then we'd be done. I KNOW i'd be done for. My parents could do it, well, my father could (mother died) but, they grew up in the 30's so they are used to doing that.

I think that most people would try every way possible to stay moral, yet, once that fades, the animal instinct comes out and we do whatever we need to for survival, even murder. (we have to take into consideration that this process might be 3-5 years on the street before we snap into just criminal activity, but I think 60% would go that route after 5 years living that way)
Hmm I see what scenario you want to play out..but it would still be pretty similar for me. Theres not much I would need money for.I would cut any luxury right out of my life.All we would need is food and shelter.I would start backpacking with the family for Sherwood eating anything I could find-trap-kill-dig up etc.,trading labor for food and scavenging until we could begin to survive on our own, as far away from the general public as possible.I wouldn't commit any crime intentionally....although I might bribe a pharmacist somehow for a large stockpile of Keflex. Personally I would be relying a lot on my faith, determination and ingenuity to make it.On the cusp of a new dark age many would die and kill to survive even and extra day..crime would become rampant..I would pity any who stayed to fight for scraps in the cities.

bigdognhb

Awards
I know this is slightly off topic but.... If you dont have any of the mentioned alternative ways to make money. Which even collecting scrap metal was in there. And you even blew through all your stock and bonds ( showing that you have at least some finacial smarts) and you still cant even find a McDonalds job that means their would be a complete social breakdown in general. Pretty much all bets would be off and it would become survival of the fittest. As said above. not many people would last long in the wilderness. While for some people common sence would allow you to figure out how to survive. For the number of people that Ive known that cant cook when a grocery store and stove are readily available I think the herd would thin pretty quick

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A combination of all of the above depending on my surroundings and location... and state of mind.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
honestly I really wouldnt mind getting together with a group of people, going off into the forests or up into the mountains, and starting a small old school village. Take cooking supplies and tools to help get started. Straight up log houses n such. Just a nice small community, where you can support everyone and work together. Bringking along a supply of weapons, 1 kind being hunting rifle with a few thousand rounds(its actually not much) and the other kind being a couple per-ban AK47s with a few thousand rounds also pistols and shotguns. Just in case anyone decides to come into my lil settlement and start trouble.'

Also 1000 rolls of duck tape!!!!

Also I would do this in lower OH/Kentucky near a river, keep a small boat and a few back up ones. Set out net lines for fish. Yeah maybe they taste nasty, but hell its living. Or do it near the great lake and do this, just not near that nuclear facility by erie....if all else fails, I got ministry friends in Mexico :D reverse immigration lol.

bigdognhb

Awards
Im with ya Zero V. That would be sweet. I dont know about the great lakes though. Gets Pretty F'n cold and snowy here in the winter Ky or TN would be great though. And you dont even need a gym. Day to day life would be a workout in itself. Trying to convince a bunch of hot chicks to come along to keep the population up could present a challange however

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
honestly I really wouldnt mind getting together with a group of people, going off into the forests or up into the mountains, and starting a small old school village. Take cooking supplies and tools to help get started. Straight up log houses n such. Just a nice small community, where you can support everyone and work together. Bringking along a supply of weapons, 1 kind being hunting rifle with a few thousand rounds(its actually not much) and the other kind being a couple per-ban AK47s with a few thousand rounds also pistols and shotguns. Just in case anyone decides to come into my lil settlement and start trouble.'

Also 1000 rolls of duck tape!!!!

Also I would do this in lower OH/Kentucky near a river, keep a small boat and a few back up ones. Set out net lines for fish. Yeah maybe they taste nasty, but hell its living. Or do it near the great lake and do this, just not near that nuclear facility by erie....if all else fails, I got ministry friends in Mexico :D reverse immigration lol.
haha, damn.
Something about guns and violence just seems to go hand in hand with each of your post....when the world goes dark, I want to have at least one light left so that I can see which way you are coming from so that I can go the other direction ,lol.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had to insert c when i pasted it out of word and forgot to change the order...no biggie.

Also I stated that all viable options have been exhausted (that means all other options are out), it's hypothetical. I figured that it was understood that all under ground black market options were open...guns, prostitution, drugs, etc...

I hardly doubt one can sell enough blood plasma to make mortgage payments. And, hell, we aren't all Will Smith, and this isn't Seven Pounds, lol.
Perhaps I'm being a little too business-minded, but who's stopping a person from tapping several sources? I mean, I suppose you could pick just one, but then I'd have to think you're an idiot.

Sell your blood plasma to pay for food. Ramen noodles are still $0.25 a piece, if that.

Start up some means for producing dirty money (all we've discussed are viable). Throw said money into penny stocks. If the stock fails, oh well, you spent maybe 50 bucks? If it assimilates into NYSE or NASDAQ, the price blows up, you sell, and make bank.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
stealing is one of the easiest things to pull off. Especially when you place it in your own situational choices. People just get greedy or too impatient is all.

I dont steel, but I ran a few theories and tests, jeeze you could take this country blind easy.

Times are getting bad. I see people grouping together and sharing homes soon.

And its all BS....so preventable is it to stop this country from whats going on.

Personally once I lose it all, Rifle + bullets + headhunting individuals who played a role in raping the population. I am not gona marry till this is better. That way I can spend my days hunting peeps should it come to it without worrying about a family
Right there with you bro, lets start a Bounty hunter company.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps I'm being a little too business-minded, but who's stopping a person from tapping several sources? I mean, I suppose you could pick just one, but then I'd have to think you're an idiot.

Sell your blood plasma to pay for food. Ramen noodles are still $0.25 a piece, if that.

Start up some means for producing dirty money (all we've discussed are viable). Throw said money into penny stocks. If the stock fails, oh well, you spent maybe 50 bucks? If it assimilates into NYSE or NASDAQ, the price blows up, you sell, and make bank.
There's nothing wrong with any of those options. Actually, good ones that you mentioned; however, in this scenario, those options have been tapped to the max for you(although body parts and plasma are still viable, along with criminal activity and hunting wild game); although, Mr Lexus over there is still living lavishly.

I believe the best approach would be a mixture of it all actually. I think Jayhawk hit it best.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
There was a French(quebec) show that did that ...minus the AKs lol.Too bad there were no subs.In Alaska, this old guy did it with nothing much more than an axe.He made everything with it. Dug into the permafrost so he'd have a refrigerator year round too.(American Made Video - Alone in the Wilderness)Awesome show.My dream...cept id probably have a generator and a weight set too lol.

cheloz28

cheloz28

Awards
  • Established
B! Might as well...already live in the hood(ghetto)

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
haha, damn.
Something about guns and violence just seems to go hand in hand with each of your post....when the world goes dark, I want to have at least one light left so that I can see which way you are coming from so that I can go the other direction ,lol.
As long as you arent out to harm my family, and your not some multi millionar banker who raped the common people...your safe mate :wave2: If anything team up with me.

Right there with you bro, lets start a Bounty hunter company.
Actually me and a few friends have been discussing taking our experiences and war based drives and forming a small Merc company, maybe see if we can get some jobs, pass a few tests and take a couple classes for Blackwater and the other Merc companies.

There was a French(quebec) show that did that ...minus the AKs lol.Too bad there were no subs.In Alaska, this old guy did it with nothing much more than an axe.He made everything with it. Dug into the permafrost so he'd have a refrigerator year round too.(American Made Video - Alone in the Wilderness)Awesome show.My dream...cept id probably have a generator and a weight set too lol.
Seriously one of the best things o have with you is solar panels and the generators to convert and store the energy. Its a low hum, but its always there and would allow things like clocks, cooking, etc to be done.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Hey im all down for that, i have been thinking about doing PI work up in MN, take a few classes get licensed and bonded. Better than what i am doing, and for some reason it just feels where i should go.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Seriously one of the best things o have with you is solar panels and the generators to convert and store the energy. Its a low hum, but its always there and would allow things like clocks, cooking, etc to be done.
Yes I just did a job for a customer who is installing the new ones that absorb and store energy even on cloudy days! I am definitely going to have these on my cabin.