H&F Careers

redline2101

Awards
So for a long time I have been unsure of what I want to go to school for, and I decided since I spend so much time reading about health and fitness, I decided I should pursue a career in it. I was wondering if anybody here has a job in developing supplements and things like that. I wanted to be a pharmacist for a while, but if there's a job in developing new sports supplements or something, that would be something id really be into. Anyways, I don't really know where to begin with this, so if anybody has any input id appreciate it.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you want to be involved in the science behind supplement research, you're going to want a degree in Bio or Chem related fields.

If you want to work with athletes, something like exercise science would be more up your alley.

Work on getting your general classes out of the way. Don't rush to choose your major.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
If you want to be involved in the science behind supplement research, you're going to want a degree in Bio or Chem related fields.

If you want to work with athletes, something like exercise science would be more up your alley.

Work on getting your general classes out of the way. Don't rush to choose your major.
He has a point, I am going to a community college to get my basic classes done with. I was going into education, now I am thinking health and fitness is my focus. I will combine them because they really go hand in hand.

Take your time man....so many people rush through college and get done by the time they are 24....and by the time they are 28-30 they are pissed off and unhappy with their careers.... dont do it for the damn money...EVER

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
He has a point, I am going to a community college to get my basic classes done with. I was going into education, now I am thinking health and fitness is my focus. I will combine them because they really go hand in hand.

Take your time man....so many people rush through college and get done by the time they are 24....and by the time they are 28-30 they are pissed off and unhappy with their careers.... dont do it for the damn money...EVER
Money Money Money!!!!!!!!!!!! Get rich as quick as possible, and then retire early!!!!!!! Use all that wealth to start your own company... REDLINE POWER. Hell Yea! lol :dunno::wave2:

redline2101

Awards
Well I could make a company, both of my grandparents own companies and thats what they wanted me to do. I don't know HOW much funding they would give me however and I'm pretty sure product development is like VERY expensive, so yea.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now is not the time to try and start a supplement company. :(

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Now is not the time to try and start a supplement company. :(
Nope. Its a good time to sell ones already out, its a good time to be a fitness instructor or PT, its a good time to start one if you maybe somehow discovered a new material...but really, what are you gona produce new? My and my buddy have been thinking about this, and its really hard if your not already established to start one. So were are just going with starting a combo gym/supp store once we are certified PTs

redline2101

Awards
I like the idea of a gym/supp store. My grandparents would fund that for sure. Do you need any special license to sell sport supplements or could I just go for a business degree?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I like the idea of a gym/supp store. My grandparents would fund that for sure. Do you need any special license to sell sport supplements or could I just go for a business degree?
You dont need a degree or anything to open your own store. But it does help if your going for a loan from the bank. Really though if you can show them a layed out detailed overview of the company with everything lined up, then yeha. Not sure if you need a license to sell supps, I wouldnt think so since they are "dietary aides" per say. But make sure for the gym you have waver forms set up, as well as all other documentation you may need.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now is not a good time in the industry. I live in Austin, TX, which is a very health conscious city, and cannot find a decent job. Hell, I have put out 20+ resumes and have only received 1 call back. I graduated with my BS Cum Laude, but it still hasn't helped. It could change soon, but the economic uncertainty has really hurt this business.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Now is not a good time in the industry. I live in Austin, TX, which is a very health conscious city, and cannot find a decent job. Hell, I have put out 20+ resumes and have only received 1 call back. I graduated with my BS Cum Laude, but it still hasn't helped. It could change soon, but the economic uncertainty has really hurt this business.
ouch sorry to hear mate. The only reason I was thinking my would work is I plan to undercut every gym around, but offer real weights, allow chalk, etc,etc. And supp wise. I duno, the supp industry seems to be growing even as our economy fall. As a personal trainer though I can see it being hard to get people to pay extra money to spend their time getting in shape. Though the ones who do are usually more thank thankful for it. I have trained 2 people for free and they had results in a couple weeks. Now 1 of them moved away, but she emailed me wanted me to put together a program for her that will last between now and the end of july.

I can do it already ^.^ I just need that lil piece of paper....

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
If your interested in supplements I would probably go with the pharmacy curriculum and possibly minor in exercise science. Supplements may sound cool now, but down the road you may have a totally different idea of what you want to do. At least with a degree in pharmaceuticals you can make some serious coin and you know people are always going to need medications. Not to mention by the time you get done with school people will probably have to get most of the supplements through a prescription anyways...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ouch sorry to hear mate. The only reason I was thinking my would work is I plan to undercut every gym around, but offer real weights, allow chalk, etc,etc. And supp wise. I duno, the supp industry seems to be growing even as our economy fall. As a personal trainer though I can see it being hard to get people to pay extra money to spend their time getting in shape. Though the ones who do are usually more thank thankful for it. I have trained 2 people for free and they had results in a couple weeks. Now 1 of them moved away, but she emailed me wanted me to put together a program for her that will last between now and the end of july.

I can do it already ^.^ I just need that lil piece of paper....
A "hardcore" gym is more of a niche place. The members you get will be there practically forever, but that's not really where the money is at. I have been a trainer for years and a motivated client is not very common. The supplement industry is about to hit a ptach of uncertainty between the Hydroxycut recall, various bans, etc. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few years.