You ever think of the negatives of looking like we do?

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I have told the story on here before of how I met my girl. She works at a bank with my mom. Its a small bank, and they were friends...she heard a lot of stories about me. One day I walked in to get some $$$ and say hi, etc. She liked what she saw, and took a chance of looking me up.

There are two funny parts to that story I leave out though...

First - when I first walked in, she told me she turned to her co-worker and said "d@mn that guy looks great...he must be gay" This was when she had no idea who I was...I actually think its kinda funny, and is more of a statement of how I dress I guess.

Second, and the main part of my story - she has confided in me that the only reason she gave me a chance is because she knew my mom and heard so many stories about me. She mentioned that there was no way she would normally date a guy who looked like me...as we are all jerks Even though she heard I was a good guy, she still had a negative opinion of what I would be like because of how I looked. She has admitted that once she got to know me, that I was nothing like she ever imagined I would be. Even her daughter commented once she got to know me..."he is so much nicer than what he looks like".

Now, I know I'm not the only person in touch with my emotions on this site. I have heard it before "man, you are way nicer than you look". Does anybody else get this? I guess its the old "meat-head" stereotype. I wonder how many people I have missed meeting?

Anyways...just a thought that had my brain occupied today.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
i have thought alot about this also. when people meet me they think im just a big brut with a bad attitude...but when they talk to me they're like WTF?? generally i think it is the bigger they are, the nicer they are, because we have nothing to prove. we know we can kick your ass so we don't have to prove it.lol. we don't care what other people think, which is usually the source of conflict. and they also think we're dumb...yes tell that to my 3.95gpa (god dam A-!!!!). i think it is only the people who are insecure about themselves and find themselves with something to prove that gives us a bad name, and it is usually the smaller guys and i attribute this to napoleon syndrome, which brings all of us into the stereotype. basically, the bigger they are, the nicer they are and the more genuine they are. what u see is kind of what u get, there is no real mystery to us.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I carry the nick name Prep(when its not preach, or preacher) because I wear the Hollister, or at the least Aeropostale. But its funny because my best buds hate preps, but say I am a one of a kind. I have the look, but am one of those guys who do anything for people. Muscle wise, I am getting bigger, but I am not massive enough yet to deal with what you speak of in size. I am actually looked to for nutritional info.

There are 2 kinds of gym rats. The ones who are in it for love, perfecting there bodies, and study the science and nutrition needed. And the tools who go there to pump up their arms to stand in front of mirrors and ladies. 99% of those are deusch bags.

Sadly there is more of the latter. That is the issue lol.

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yah i know what u guys talkin about, 1st things girls always say to me is woow u have bigger boobs then me (50in at age 21) and second is what steroid u take. but after they get to know me, its more of woow ur the best guy friend i ever had etc etc

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established
This is an interesting subject. My lifting buddy and I have talked about how sometimes people have stereotypes about us at first glance. Sometimes, I think people are scared to approach or begin conversations with us because of size. People are rarely in our way. They think I am a cocky jerk when really it is the opposite. I tend to be the shy somewhat passive guy.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There are definite issues that we deal with from our training. As a woman I get stared at lie a freak show all the time, everywhere I go. In public people tend to think its okay to touch me and comment on my muscle.

This was hard to take initially. I have had guys make comments they thought I could not hear, skinny guys talk about losing their manhood standing near me..lol.

In the end you have to be happy with who you are. The biggest downside for me is going out to play pool on weekends and the fight reaction from other women. I tend to be a mellow passive person with no desire to fight.

But in the end I only care if I like what I see in the mirror!

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Comes with the territory... when I shaved my head it was worse.

It made kicking people out of parties easy. People assumed I was roid raging on top of being pissed I had no hair. In reality I don't get into fights at all and am very laid back.

Girls took it the same way, but then again those girls not willing to talk to me for 5 minutes (which is all it would take to know I'm not a meathead *******) don't deserve my time anyways.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
drivehard, I was going to respond to your initial post earlier... but I thought you were a homosexual villain.
:lol::lol::lol:

No, I feel you on this. I'm just not one to be disingenuous, so I don't usually make a habit of smiling. Maybe that, along with the facial hair and/or build, causes me to come across as ill-tempered. Myself, I have a hard time trusting someone who wears a phony grin, or is overly nice for no apparent reason.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have thought alot about this also. when people meet me they think im just a big brut with a bad attitude...but when they talk to me they're like WTF?? generally i think it is the bigger they are, the nicer they are, because we have nothing to prove. we know we can kick your ass so we don't have to prove it.lol. we don't care what other people think, which is usually the source of conflict. and they also think we're dumb...yes tell that to my 3.95gpa (god dam A-!!!!). i think it is only the people who are insecure about themselves and find themselves with something to prove that gives us a bad name, and it is usually the smaller guys and i attribute this to napoleon syndrome, which brings all of us into the stereotype. basically, the bigger they are, the nicer they are and the more genuine they are. what u see is kind of what u get, there is no real mystery to us.
lol, killing a stereotype with a stereotype?? :) I personally think a lot of us get this reaction because we send out signals that trigger it. i don't smile a lot and know it and I am very friendly but not openly to people I don't know. I know what most people think of me when they first meet me and have known for a long time but haven't done a thing to change it. I actually sort of enjoy it from time to time.

Just because you're big people aren't going to assume you're an *******. Add in a stereotype haircut, facial hair, tattoos etc and you sort of paint the picture of what people imagine as the typical bouncer with an additude...

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am going to assume your 3.95 GPA is not as an English Major! (Sorry, I had to!)

:dunno:

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I am going to assume your 3.95 GPA is not as an English Major! (Sorry, I had to!)

My ex had i think a 3.5 and she was one of the dumbest people I have known my entire life. Dont mean a thing lol.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established

nope lol. business management. if im not being graded then i really dont care about how it sounds, as long as people get the point lol

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
Just because you're big people aren't going to assume you're an *******. Add in a stereotype haircut, facial hair, tattoos etc and you sort of paint the picture of what people imagine as the typical bouncer with an additude...
hahah this is true. i am always clean shaven.....and i do have tattoos but they are where they can't be seen when wearing clothes. i have them up around my shoulders so they are always covered. and yes i am a bouncer! lol but i was hired because i am friendly and can talk to people, and thats who they wanted at the door and not someone who was going to intimidate people

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Holy **** did I say additude? Christ I don't need to post in the morning hours... Attitude

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
gotta agree with jay here. I have a shaved head and several tatoos, god help me if I go out in a sleeveless shirt. I have been followed around stores, however, when I am dressed for work, everything is concealable, even the size to an extent. You do notice the differences. I never worried to much about it, as long as I am happy with me, the rest is meaningless

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Holy **** did I say additude? Christ I don't need to post in the morning hours... Attitude