strength and genetics?

WesleyAlpha

Awards
I've noticed that a large number of strongmen competitors are of Northern European descent, mostly from the around the Baltic Sea region. Is this due to a strong tradition of strength competition in that area, or is it genetic? I know that people from Norway, Sweden, Finland, Poland, and Lithuania are usually larger in size on average than other people groups in Europe.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I've noticed that a large number of strongmen competitors are of Northern European descent, mostly from the around the Baltic Sea region. Is this due to a strong tradition of strength competition in that area, or is it genetic? I know that people from Norway, Sweden, Finland, Poland, and Lithuania are usually larger in size on average than other people groups in Europe.
There is a sense of a genetic normal. Think back to the Germanic Tribes(barbarians?). Their descendants fill alot of northern Europe. There are races and genetic lines that are "Often" stronger, or faster, or smarter in a specific field. But people from every race and descent can be at the top of any of those. Its just a "general thing"

all IMO

WesleyAlpha

Awards
well of course there are exceptionally strong people in all ethnic/people groups, but there is a significantly large amount that comes from the Baltic region though. But it's just like saying that african americans are more genetically gifted than other groups, which appears to be true on the outside, but they rarely win many olympic events.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
There is a sense of a genetic normal. Think back to the Germanic Tribes(barbarians?). Their descendants fill alot of northern Europe. There are races and genetic lines that are "Often" stronger, or faster, or smarter in a specific field. But people from every race and descent can be at the top of any of those. Its just a "general thing"

all IMO
that..and they r basically laborers and farmers. pudzianowski is a farmer in poland and farms his own crops, so you have to be strong moving crap and such. but yes i believe certain races are stronger than others, and certain races are smarter than others. each race has their own distinct quality.

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
being from polish descent..i can agree with that..LOL!!.. no really, my grandfather had huge a$$ arms..then again he worked in coal mines...i seen pictures of him...in his mid 20's....somewhere around 1938...he stood out..compared to other guys in the photo..who were coal miners as well..also, my moms family is of lithuanian descent... i have noticed alot of "Lits" are tall and are good at basketball..my uncles..cousins..ect are all over 6 foot....what the heck happened to me at 5'6??????????

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i would say genetic. though obviously if you're heavily influenced by manual labor, that would complement genetics nicely.

the reason i say this, is finding a big and ripped person from indonesia or india is pretty rare, even though they plant crops just like every other race.

additionally there's also traditions in northern europe that include brawling / barfighting, so clearly size would make a huge difference, versus india/indonesia where martial arts and knife fights were used to overcome the lack of size. just my opinion though - i have no science to back that up.

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
i would say genetic. though obviously if you're heavily influenced by manual labor, that would complement genetics nicely.

the reason i say this, is finding a big and ripped person from indonesia or india is pretty rare, even though they plant crops just like every other race.

additionally there's also traditions in northern europe that include brawling / barfighting, so clearly size would make a huge difference, versus india/indonesia where martial arts and knife fights were used to overcome the lack of size. just my opinion though - i have no science to back that up.
:clap2::You_Rock_Emoticon:

outstanding post..........makes sense!!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
being from polish descent..i can agree with that..LOL!!.. no really, my grandfather had huge a$$ arms..then again he worked in coal mines...i seen pictures of him...in his mid 20's....somewhere around 1938...he stood out..compared to other guys in the photo..who were coal miners as well..also, my moms family is of lithuanian descent... i have noticed alot of "Lits" are tall and are good at basketball..my uncles..cousins..ect are all over 6 foot....what the heck happened to me at 5'6??????????
Right on brother, cant mess with us Polls! I do see a def strength connection to Europe, but remember the USA is comprised of mostly families from over there now anyway....well kinda. Either way tradition is a really cool thing, and its great that we have so many different cultures in the world. How boring would it be if we all looked and did the same thing??

heywood

heywood

Awards
  • Established
Not sure, but I think some of it also has something to do with socioeconomic factors. Look at world cup skiing, for example: Austrians and Swiss have traditionally dominated because of geography and culture. If you grow up idolizing a certain type of sportsman you will be more likely to follow in their footsteps; which would also explain why the U.S. produces the lion's share of footballers, basketballers and baseballers.

However, looking at the viking descendants under a microscope they are successfull in most all arenas of sport; regardless of body type requirements or anything else. My 2c.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not sure, but I think some of it also has something to do with socioeconomic factors. Look at world cup skiing, for example: Austrians and Swiss have traditionally dominated because of geography and culture. If you grow up idolizing a certain type of sportsman you will be more likely to follow in their footsteps; which would also explain why the U.S. produces the lion's share of footballers, basketballers and baseballers.

However, looking at the viking descendants under a microscope they are successfull in most all arenas of sport; regardless of body type requirements or anything else. My 2c.
You do, and adapt to your surrounding environment I guess. Very interesting topic as I'm sure much research has gone into it.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Right on brother, cant mess with us Polls! I do see a def strength connection to Europe, but remember the USA is comprised of mostly families from over there now anyway....well kinda. Either way tradition is a really cool thing, and its great that we have so many different cultures in the world. How boring would it be if we all looked and did the same thing??
I'm mostly Danish here. I like thinking my ancestors were part of a great 'dynasty' at one point. I just wonder what the hell happened........

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
A lot of it is years of extrinsic change to the genetic code. Diet being one factor.

Lot of the nordic europeans are much larger in the bone structure itself. Their bones tend to thicker than that of others such as Italians or Irish.

But throughout history, the type of food they've consumed is much more nutritious than that consumed by people from countries like Indonesia and India.

But I think people from USA are not really in Strongest Man comps because it's not big in US culture.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
well my ancestors in ireland were a line of kings and royalty...not so much over here...lol

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
not to get off topic..but im thinkin about getting a tattoo of the polish eagle with "polska" spelled underneath it....tradition is awesome:dl: