Careers, guidelines, decisions, and what to make of them.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
This winter I'll be finishing up my first degree in college, but don't like what I'm taking for my major, so I'm gonna continue with schooling for something else the following year. However, I'm kinda stumped on deciding between a few differing careers.

Right now, I'm taking CIS/networking and absolutely hate it. It was such a change from the beginning that its a friggin shame. I figured half-way through that since I came this far, and its not really hard for me, I might as well finish it. So now the decision comes. I'm trying to decide between law enforcement, law, teaching (elementary for now of course), and smokin' weed. ;)

So, my first worry is that when I was like 18 or 19, I was charged with a felony. Now Me, my attorney, and the judge had agreed upon me completing ARD, probation, and paying so much godamn money in fines, that I would be able to get an expungement on my record. IOW, if I completed ALL things, I could get my record cleared, but if I get charged for the same thing again, it would get treated as if it were my second offense. But, from the people whom I've spoken to, if I were to try and get a federal clearance for a job or something of that nature, that felony could still go against me. So, THAT is the only thing thats holding me back from my final decision.

Does anybody have any experience with this, and if so could you please share? Also, anybody is welcome in offering their suggestions in the fields I have spoken of.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I know that all teachers have to undergo a background check very similar to the ones that Army does on people getting Top Secret clearance. Not quite as extensive but pretty through. Depending one the charge it could reflect very bading on you even getting an interview with some school districts.. sorry for having to tell you all of that.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I know that all teachers have to undergo a background check very similar to the ones that Army does on people getting Top Secret clearance. Not quite as extensive but pretty through. Depending one the charge it could reflect very bading on you even getting an interview with some school districts.. sorry for having to tell you all of that.

Hey, no prob bro, just wanted the truth. I think I may have to look into trying to re-open my case or at least trying to get somewhere with the courts over here. I know a lot of people and maybe, just maybe, I can get some strings pulled. Probably a lost cause but its worth a try.

The nature of the charge was pretty dumb if you ask me. It was clearly debatable, and if I knew then what I knew now, I probably could have gotten it dropped. I know its hard to understand, but I'd rather not say what it was about on a board. Lets just say it was an incidence that was acted upon w/o proper understanding and non-criminal. More or less a charge from the act of a pen, not the sword.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Then that might be something to look at trying to challege.. but make sure you get on it soon.. I don't know how long you have to fix/set the record straight on somethings

lvtrojan

Awards
Unfortunately you're choosing between some fields that are going to require some looking into your background, as Matt said above. It would be much easier to choose a business related field of some sort and not a governmentally controlled institution.

I will say though that your major is not always that critical, and I think most people go into stuff that they didnt major in.

I was an engineering major (basically math) which helped me get job interviews out of college...but now i work in a management capacity for my company, and although i use math everyday to solve problems, it really didnt matter how much calculus i took. The point is that you may not be forced into working in the field of your major, which you hate. Often times getting a job is more about being more qualified than the other candidates, and not necessarily being totally qualified for the job. So what I am saying is that you should at least see what you can get with your current major, instead of scrapping it alltogether. You may even find something you like. Real world applications, as I stated above, are not the same as the classroom.

Obviously you are a motivated person (i think most of us here are) and are willing to do what it takes. But it seems to me you may want to choose the path of least resistance (i.e private sector) instead of the others you talked about...based on your past.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

size

Awards
  • Established
Entering the work force is tough.

My suggestion is to find something you enjoy doing and do that. It may take going back for more school to find out what you like, but having more education never hurt anybody.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies guys. As soon as things calm down a bit with, the holidays, school, etc. I'm gonna sit down and sort out as much as I can with all this. pffff...it'll be so much easier when I can take a break from configuring and subnetting all hte damn time!! :)

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
Bro, i'm a Network Engineer for a large entertainment company and believe me that once you start working out in the field, you won't be subnetting much.