Coments on the show "Lost"?

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Is this a popular series! Is it entertaining and thought provoking?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Supposedly. No.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Why do you say that? Its prime time and has been on for some time now. If it wasnt popular and selling advertising, would they keep it?

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
It is if you start at the beginning - I'd say there's no way to jump in the middle & not drown.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
The first 4 seasons sure *seem* like genius...but they have to pull it all together and wrap it up satisfactorily in the next season-and-a-half - if they can actually get 'er done without jumping the shark or screwing the pooch, I'll have to say "YES! GENIUS!!!"

As it stands now: the most original storytelling, the best character development, the most compelling relationships (not romantic), the best long-arc drama is on Lost. TV is absolutely rolling in great shows lately: BSG, House, Heroes, Fringe, Bones are all exceptional television - and Lost is as good as any of them, and maybe better than all of them.

If you're that curious, Netflix can hook you up w/ the previous seasons - it is absolutely one hail of a ride!

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
It's really annoying me that there's still stuff from session 1 that we haven't been told. like what the black smoke is. Sure we've been told what its for but not what is!

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
My favorite show on television at the moment.

Great storytelling, awesome characters that you actually care about, cool mysteries that will have you making up theories all day, cool plot twists, and awesome payoffs that reward you for paying attention.

It's not a show you can just jump into in the middle of... you need to experience it from the beginning, much like a good book. If you are the type of person who wants everything wrapped up in a neat little bow at the end of each episode and can't handle a mystery being introduced that doesn't get an answer until many episodes later, this show isn't for you. If you enjoy suspense, drama, smart writing, and a bit of sci-fi then you'll love it.

Watch it from the beginning though!

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
Yes I have been sucked into the Lost phenomenon since season 1. It always keeps me on my toes and asking questions. Once 1 question is answered, they open the door for 3 more questions. It kicks @ss. No doubt. John Lock is the SH*T.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
Oh, and I couldn't agree more, if you have missed a season, don't try to play "catch up".

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
So it is thought to be entertaining and thought provoking, as a general consensus. Does anyone know who wrote it or who that person is? I agree that it is great television. I wonder if the same person wrote heroes and house they do seem similar.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Bah, it doesn't do anything for me. Battle Star Galactica, the original series, for the win.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
What I like about it is that its a mind-expanding type of show. The viewer keeps reaching for whats going on, kind of like a chinese puzzle.

n87

Awards
  • Established
Love the show. Started watching it last august on DVDs. Finished just in time for season five to start. I got used to watching as many episodes at a time as I wanted to. Not the case anymore, one episode a week, sucks... :)

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I think its one of the best programs on TV, right now, it sells a ton of advertising. Does anyone know who the genius behind it is?

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
great show, very addictive,... but its called "Lost" for a reason, b/c every time I which im totally lost,...lol.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
great show, very addictive,... but its called "Lost" for a reason, b/c every time I which im totally lost,...lol.
I agree. It almost seems to me like they have no idea how they are going to end it.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I will bet money, that I dont have yet, that the writer had that in mind, as well as a galaxy of other things. Somehow it reminds me of the show, "Seinfeld" it seems to have the same intellectual, "off the wall" tack.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone know who the genius behind it is?
JJ Abrams is the producer: same guy is behind the new "Star Trek" movie, was the force behind "Alias", and did (directed?) "Cloverfield". He also directed Mission Impossible 3.

The main creative forces are Damon Lindelof & Carleton Cuse: I believe they do the bulk (if not *all*) of the writing; they also do the planning, etc. It's *their* show.

"Heroes" is a completely different team; can tell you Bryan Fuller has re-joined "Heroes" after a couple years on his own show, "Pushing Daisies". Fuller was also the main writer behind "Wonderfalls", if that's not too obscure....

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
JJ Abrams, is he kind of a baby-faced kid that likes to grill steaks with "ready to ignite" charcoal?

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
HAW! no idea, bro - absoutely no idea at all... :toofunny:

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Okay, I just had to be sure ther werent any posers in this thread. Can anyone see a similarity with other programs like; Seinfeld, House, Heroes, Fear Factor,?

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Never watched "Seinfeld", nor "Fear Factor". As much as I like both "Heroes" & "House", the only real 'similarities' I see between them (*and* "Lost" (...and BSG...and others)) are compelling stories, good writing, well-developed characters, great acting, and plenty of plot twists.

Personally, I like shows where I *don't* have it basically figured out early-on; where I don't hate the characters, make fun of them, & wish they would DIAF (dual credit here to the actors and the writers); where the premises are not so ridiculous I can't 'suspend my disbelief'. Most shows just don't hold my interest because there's nothing really going on. Same is true of books, articles, conversations - but I guess that's predictable.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I will bet money, that I dont have yet, that the writer had that in mind, as well as a galaxy of other things. Somehow it reminds me of the show, "Seinfeld" it seems to have the same intellectual, "off the wall" tack.
lol,.... family guy anyone? Same "outta nowhere" concept. LOL I had to have a buddy explain to me about the island "moving," and the "time shifts." I was like ummmm, Im still wondering about the damm monster running around in the jungle....

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, familly guy, that is pretty funny if yer in the right frame of mind.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Okay, I just had to be sure ther werent any posers in this thread. Can anyone see a similarity with other programs like; Seinfeld, House, Heroes, Fear Factor,?
I believe the creators of the show said that some of their biggest influences were the novel The Stand by Stephen King (I hear the miniseries they made based on the book is garbage by comparison) and The Watchmen graphic novel. I've also seen some people reference Twin Peaks and The Prisoner as other works that are thematically similar.

It's got more in common with House and Heroes I guess, than the other shows you mentioned, if only because it's a drama with an ensemble cast.

PMC

Awards
Lost is fantastic but not something you can really jump in on at this point. Great story lines, excellent character development and they bend the laws of nature. It's another show you have to pay attention to or you're lost... pardon the pun.

I've recently become a big fan of the show Bones which is more about the characters and less about the story lines for me.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I believe the creators of the show said that some of their biggest influences were the novel The Stand by Stephen King (I hear the miniseries they made based on the book is garbage by comparison) and The Watchmen graphic novel. I've also seen some people reference Twin Peaks and The Prisoner as other works that are thematically similar.

It's got more in common with House and Heroes I guess, than the other shows you mentioned, if only because it's a drama with an ensemble cast.
They've cited everything from "Crime & Punishment" to "Watership Down" as influences, and there are allusions scattered throughout from dozens of books - but I've never heard them cite either King or any graphic novel as inspirations - directly or indirectly. That's just fine with me, as I can't stand King: I thought "The Stand" completely sucked, TV *and* print (I like believable characters who get smarter from experience, not more delusional). Sorry, I know lots of people read him & like him; just not me.

There *are* definite story-telling similarities between Lost & "Twin Peaks" (another amazing show - "Lost" couldn't exist had it not been for TP), and I can see echoes of "the Prisoner", too (though wildly re-worked).

It really is the most fascinating thing on TV since the campaign....

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
The Stand is one of their biggest influences.

Carlton Cuse: For us, The Stand has been a model. Lost is about a bunch of people stranded on an island. It's compelling, but kind of tiny. But what sustains you are the characters. In The Stand, I was completely gripped by everyone you introduced in that story — how they come together, what their individual stories are, how they face the premise. That was such a good model for Lost.

Lindelof: The first meeting I had with J.J. about Lost, we talked about The Stand, and it kept suggesting ideas throughout the process. The character of Charlie was always going to be a druggie rocker, but when Dominic Monaghan came in to audition we started saying, ''What if he was a one-hit wonder?'' I said, ''Like the guy in The Stand! The guy with just this one song.''

Lindelof: His entire character sort of is constructed around that. The thing about The Stand is that there are all the archetypes, and we embraced the same thing. The strong, silent, heroic type. The nerdy guy. The techie. The pregnant girl. All those characters exist in The Stand, too.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1562722,00.html

(woohoo, i can finally post links and pictures!)

Another good quote about the nature of the show relating to it:

Damon Lindelof: It actually IS liberating... but at the same time, the show constantly forces us to evolve. We CAN'T go back to the ambiguity of Season One because our characters have experienced so much since then. Carlton and I often talk about the STAND... how the story starts with something scientific, an epidemic that kills of 99% of the world's population... but slowly and steadiy transforms into a mystical tale where people are having prophetic dreams... and finally, LITERALLY ends with the hand of God coming out of the sky and setting off a nuclear device. Our story has always been about a journey... but just because we're embracing some of the more fantastical aspects of the island, doesn't mean we're completely abandoning the science vs. faith of it all.

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/tv/article.asp?aid=10003&tcid=1

http://lost.about.com/od/understandinglost/a/screenwriting09.htm

From 2009, so don't read if you haven't been watching the show up till now unless you don't care about being spoiled.

I've always meant to read The Stand, but never got around to it. I did check out King's first few Dark Tower books (which the Lost creators also seem to be fond of) but never finished the whole series. I heard that that is for the better though, as the way that series of books end is pretty lame.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for posting great information guys. Its good to know there are still intelligent, thoughtful people here, that actually read books and appreciate the Arts.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
The Stand is one of their biggest influences.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1562722,00.html

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/tv/article.asp?aid=10003&tcid=1

http://lost.about.com/od/understandinglost/a/screenwriting09.htm

From 2009, so don't read if you haven't been watching the show up till now unless you don't care about being spoiled.

I've always meant to read The Stand, but never got around to it. I did check out King's first few Dark Tower books (which the Lost creators also seem to be fond of) but never finished the whole series. I heard that that is for the better though, as the way that series of books end is pretty lame.
Points taken, and thanks for the post! That was excellent.

I'm current on the show. I took in Season 1 in a big gulp right before Season 2 was released on DVD, and was so sold that I bought #2 as soon as it hit the stores & finished *it* in a rush, right before season 3 started.

Just watched "The Life & Death of Jeremy Bentham" last night.

I understand that many people I like and respect read King, and I read the Stand precisely because so many people recommended it. I was really disappointed in the book, but I don't judge it, or those who got something out of it.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
We read and watch stories for entertainment value. Some of this pulp is better than others, sometimes it gives insight into our own perceptions of the world around us and exercises our minds.