The AnabolicMinds Poker Players Thread

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Curious as to who in here plays the games. What limits? What games? Brick and Mortar? Online? Both? Where did you start? Do you feel you make good supplemental income?

Things have been back and forth for me in the poker world. During the beginning, my bankroll management was terrible, but I grew and moved on, and things have turned around in my life a little, unfortunately I haven't been playing as much as I used to. School really pushed everything aside, and I used my bankroll for other expenses.

I'll be graduating from college in a couple semesters, and am looking forward to having the extra time to spend on the felt. I've recently been brushing up on my Stud Hi/Lo, 2-7 Triple Draw, NLHE, and PLO Hi/Lo games. I live a few hours from NOLA, so I'm fortunate to live fairly close to some soft action and decent sized cash games, as I'm not a fan of tournament play.

Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll have some extra time to spend playing the 4/8 LOH and 1/2 NLH games, and work my way up to the 2/5 NLH and 15/30 LOH games, as well as any mixed action that's available. I really miss playing.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
True story... I had a friend move to Las Vegas with little to nothing as far as finances. He would play the poker tables everyday, and stop at +$100.00, no matter what, and he made a living for 12 months doing that before getting a real job.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
True story... I had a friend move to Las Vegas with little to nothing as far as finances. He would play the poker tables everyday, and stop at +$100.00, no matter what, and he made a living for 12 months doing that before getting a real job.
Vegas has some seriously soft action even at the high limit. A live $25/50 NLH game ($5k buy-in) plays like an online $0.50/1.00 game ($100 buy-in) does. It's sick. If you're even SOMEWHAT better than average, you can crush it.

I know a couple guys from my area that have gone pro, one of which, Jonathan Little, has been absolutely crushing the tournament circuit the last few years.

LA is becoming increasingly popular for cash game players, and if I can build my bankroll up over the next year, I'd really like to spend a couple weeks out there playing the games.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

Not saying this isnt true, but that 100 number has to be off. Kind of tough to be a poker player making 100 a day.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Anybody ever catch the nose bleed stakes on full tilt. In a half hour I seen PA take someone for about 700k in PLO, was unbelievable.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not saying this isnt true, but that 100 number has to be off. Kind of tough to be a poker player making 100 a day.
He was trying to make the minimum amount to maintain a survivable standard of living. Not playing to be a big roller.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You'd be surprised how many mid-stakes grinders there are out there that make a decent living for themselves. 150k+/yr grinding 3/6 and 5/10. Eaaaaaasy money.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I love playing hold em. 1/2 or 2/4, cash games. I've played in a couple tourney but my experience has been that its more luck, where cash games is more skill. (Ex. jamie gold.)

I play the other games for fun, omaha, stud, 2/7, razz etc but hold em has been the only game I've been succesful in making any money.

I used to play online, but its such a crap shoot. I used to play pokerstars and bodog, even 5/10 and up people played like shit, calling everything down to the river, stuff I hardly see at the live tables I play.

beastmode99

Awards
I love playing hold em. 1/2 or 2/4, cash games. I've played in a couple tourney but my experience has been that its more luck, where cash games is more skill. (Ex. jamie gold.)

I play the other games for fun, omaha, stud, 2/7, razz etc but hold em has been the only game I've been succesful in making any money.

I used to play online, but its such a crap shoot. I used to play pokerstars and bodog, even 5/10 and up people played like shit, calling everything down to the river, stuff I hardly see at the live tables I play.
haha so true, online is a lot different than the live tables. There is a bunch of idiots online that call about everything and some get lucky and hit something big on the river.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anybody ever catch the nose bleed stakes on full tilt. In a half hour I seen PA take someone for about 700k in PLO, was unbelievable.
I watch them regularly. Have you been keeping up with Tom Dwan (durrr) and PA's heads-up challenge?

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

haha so true, online is a lot different than the live tables. There is a bunch of idiots online that call about everything and some get lucky and hit something big on the river.
I've seen much more crappy players live than online. Once you hit 1000nl online, most of the weak players tend to be the morons that have cashed deep in an MTT and decide to take a bunch of their earnings over to the cash tables.

As I mentioned before, 5000nl live plays like a 100nl online game. It's sick.

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I go to AC.....done a few tournaments.....never won. I have won at the tables....but nothing more than around 4 or 500 though.

liftitbig85

liftitbig85

Awards
  • Established
Vegas has some seriously soft action even at the high limit. A live $25/50 NLH game ($5k buy-in) plays like an online $0.50/1.00 game ($100 buy-in) does. It's sick. If you're even SOMEWHAT better than average, you can crush it.
Wow. I would love to see you come out here and sit down at a 25/50 at the Bellagio and tell me you can crush it. Your statement has to be the most off the wall waste of typing I have EVER seen. I'm almost at a loss of words thinking about a SOMEWHAT average player crushing anything here, other than maybe a 2/4 limit game at O'Sheas.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow. I would love to see you come out here and sit down at a 25/50 at the Bellagio and tell me you can crush it. Your statement has to be the most off the wall waste of typing I have EVER seen. I'm almost at a loss of words thinking about a SOMEWHAT average player crushing anything here, other than maybe a 2/4 limit game at O'Sheas.
Have you ever heard of 'table selection'? And I said "somewhat better than average." Don't misquote me...and give me a break, 2/4 lhe? The games are soft as it gets in Vegas as we move into Summer. Especially when you've got busto-Laak playing 10/20 and Jamie Gold donking up 5-10-20 PLO.

liftitbig85

liftitbig85

Awards
  • Established
Have you ever heard of 'table selection'? And I said "somewhat better than average." Don't misquote me...and give me a break, 2/4 lhe? The games are soft as it gets in Vegas as we move into Summer. Especially when you've got busto-Laak playing 10/20 and Jamie Gold donking up 5-10-20 PLO.
Dude you're talking 25/50 NL...how many damn tables do you think there are to choose from? Have you ever been to Vegas? You're going to run into hand over fist of tables at 2/5 NL or 5/10 even 10/20 NL before you get three 25/50. Misquote you or not- you're completely off the mark. I play live poker 3 or more nights a week, and alot of times i'll run into a 6 or 7pm tourney- even a midnight at Caesars. I can't say everyone or every table you go to is great, or semi great...but dude you're talking about the no limit hold em capital of the world here- it's not slim pickins. You continue to think how "soft" Vegas is and bring your money with you. BTW Laak was not in Vegas playing 10/20 he was at Commerce, and who gives a **** if he plays 10/20- some people go back to their roots when in a slump or could have been a million other situations. And....Jamie Gold- he was probably drunk.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jamie Gold- he was probably drunk.
LOL. I don't know what he was...dude looked like he had been playing 48hrs straight, probably working on how he wants to be the "best bluffer in the world!":lmao:

And dude, Laak is busto. There is no other reason he'd be playing 2000nl.

Have you seen the teaser for HSP Season 5?