Say Goodbye to P-5-P

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Stock up while you can. :squintfinger: :usa2:
Vitamin B-6 Declared a “Drug” by FDA; to be Banned from Vitamin Supplements

God help us, because the FDA has now opened the gateway for all vitamins to be declared “drugs” and removed from sale by the nutritional supplement industry.

What they have done is declared that pyridoxamine (one of the three primary forms of vitamin B-6 found in nature, and the most widely used form in multi-vitamin supplements) is in reality a “new drug,” thus clearing the way for it to be banned from sale as a nutritional supplement. (See the news article below this commentary for more details.)

Here’s what happened:

A North Carolina-based firm called Biostratum began manufacturing pyridoxamine-based drug called Pyridorin designed to prevent the progression of diabetic nephropathy (kidney disease). The company then petitioned the FDA to declare pyridoxamine a “new drug,” clearing the way for them to hold an iron-clad monopoly on its sale.

Today, the FDA agreed with Biostratum, and declared this most popular form of vitamin B-6 to indeed be a “new drug,” using the argument that its medical qualities had been under investigation for years before it was ever used as a nutritional supplement under the DSHEA, which ironically was enacted in 1994 in order to protect nutritional supplements from excessive FDA regulation.

Not to worry, said many observers in the nutritional supplement industry. After all, there are two other natural forms of vitamin B-6 that can still be used in multi-vitamin formulations. The problem is, another drug company has already petitioned the FDA to declare the second most popular form of B-6, pyridoxal 5'-phosphate, which is also called P5P, a “new drug,” apparently for the very same reason pyridoxamine has been declared a drug, i.e., it’s purely medical qualities have been investigated long before it was ever used as a nutritional supplement.

How much longer until the third most popular natural form of B-6 will be declared a “drug”? You can bet your boots the pharmaceutical companies are racing to get in on the FDA’s new fast-track for turning B-vitamins into drugs.

Will All Vitamins Eventually Be Declared Drugs?

Worst of all, the very same argument being used to declare vitamin B6 a “drug” can essentially be made for any vitamin. After all, every known vitamin on the face of the earth has been studied for their medicinal qualities even since the discovery of the existence of vitamins in food back in 1905, when a scientist named William Fletcher realized that foods contained special nutrients that actually prevented disease.

It is easy to see that the day is soon-coming in which all vitamins will be offered solely as “drugs,” by prescription only.

One of the most galling aspects of the whole thing is that the FDA flatly refuses to allow nutritional supplement manufacturers to even mention the incredible medicinal values of the vitamins, minerals and other supplements they sell. Indeed, the FDA routinely claims vitamin and mineral supplements are “useless” and “inert.” Yet when a drug company develops the same natural molecule as a “drug,” suddenly its medical benefits can be touted from the rooftops. The only problem is, the drug company is given a monopoly to produce the “drug,” and what was once a natural product available inexpensively in any health food store in America is now an expensive drug you have to get a prescription for.

Drug-Induced B-6 Deficiency a Growing Phenomena

Another serious issue regarding B-6 is that a growing number of medications actually deplete the body of this vital nutrient that is absolutely essential to life. The syndrome is called Drug Induced Pyridoxine Deficiency, and several drugs, including drugs for the treatment of tuberculosis, Parkinson’s Disease and for cancer are known to cause this syndrome, which essentially turns you into a mental vegetable by depleting your body of its needed stores of vitamin B-6.

In the past, people having to take these drugs could simply go down to their local health food store and pick up an inexpensive bottle of vitamin B-6 in order to prevent the depletion syndrome. But due to the new FDA ruling, people using these drugs will no longer be able to do so. Instead they will have to get a prescription from their doctor, and purchase the expensive “drug” form of the vitamin in order to resolve the devastating mental side effects of the first drug!

Foods that Contain Vitamin B-6 Naturally

Under the circumstances it is important to note that certain foods contain vitamin B-6 naturally. They are, in order of their content percentage of the recommended daily value of the vitamin:

Baked potato, flesh and skin, 1 medium: 0.7 mg ~ 35% DV
Banana, raw, 1 medium: 0.68 mg ~ 34% DV
Garbanzo beans, canned, 1/2 c: 0.57 mg ~ 30% DV
Chicken breast, meat only, cooked, 1/2 breast: 0.52 mg ~ 25% DV
Pork loin, lean only, cooked, 3 oz: 0.42 mg ~20% DV
Roast beef, eye of round, lean only, cooked, 3 oz: 0.32 mg ~ 15% DV
Trout, rainbow, cooked, 3 oz: 0.29 mg ~ 15% DV
Sunflower seeds, kernels, dry roasted, 1 oz: 0.23 mg ~ 10% DV
Avocado, raw, sliced, 1/2 cup: 0.2 mg ~ 10% DV
Salmon, Sockeye, cooked, 3 oz: 0.19 mg ~ 10% DV
Tuna, canned in water, drained solids, 3 oz: 0.18 mg ~ 10% DV
Peanut butter, smooth, 2 Tbs: 0.15 mg ~ 8% DV

More importantly, safe, simple Brewer’s Yeast contains relatively high levels of B-vitamins, including the pyridoxine form of B-6. Capsulated Brewer’s Yeast can be purchased in just about any health food store in the country, or is available through many online sources.

What to Do Now

Legally speaking, as of today, anyone wanting to purchase the pyridoxamine form of B-6, and probably soon the P5P form, will have to have a doctor's prescription to do so. Of course, the ruling is brand new, and it is going to take some time for the FDA to implement it. Meanwhile, the pyridoxamine form of vitamin B-6 is still widely available in health food stores across the country. I suspect, however, not for long.

Today I went down to my local health food store and stocked up on a number of bottles of NOW Brand “B-50” vitamins, which contains the pyridoxamine form of B-6 along with all other B vitamins in 50 mg. per capsule dosages. I also picked up a number of bottles of the pure vitamin B6, in 100 mg. per capsule dosages. Since this vitamin is essential to cardiovascular health as well as mental health (and is also widely used to help heal carpal tunnel syndrome), it might be wise for you to do the same, particularly if the B vitamins are an integral part of your regular natural health regimen.

Another thing you can do is go to the web site of the American Association for Health Freedom and sign their petition to stop the FDA from turning any more vitamins into drugs.

You should also write and call your Congressmen and Senators immediately, and tell them you don’t want the FDA banning any more vitamins by turning them into “drugs.”

It is high time we all start expressing our outrage at this outlandish behavior by the FDA and other bureaucracies in regards to their disdain for nutritional supplements. We now have the EPA trying to re-classify colloidal silver as a "pesticide" so they can ban its sale in health food stores. And we have the FDA actually re-classifying common vitamins as drugs. And it is all at the behest of the major pharmaceutical companies.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You say you want a Revolution?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The day I have to pay a goddamn copay and prescription charge for 50 cents worth of vitamins is the day these corrupt f*ckers need to start wearing bulletproof vests.

Imagine, now...people in prison for smuggling vitamins. Ridiculous? Watch and see.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The day I have to pay a goddamn copay and prescription charge for 50 cents worth of vitamins is the day these corrupt f*ckers need to start wearing bulletproof vests.

Imagine, now...people in prison for smuggling vitamins. Ridiculous? Watch and see.
where can i buy a kilo of p5p powder matt?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's about $200, but easily purchased.
hmm probably worth having. really its only what it costs for 12 bottles, and i go thru a bottle a month anyhow @ 150mg a day

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
hmm probably worth having. really its only what it costs for 12 bottles, and i go thru a bottle a month anyhow @ 150mg a day
And has potential as a topical, too.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i'm picturing some guy with a hat and overcoat hanging out near the bleachers with the football team... "i've got B-6, B-12, even some D-3!"

tattoopierced1

that is just crazy.. another step to another freedom lost

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i'm picturing some guy with a hat and overcoat hanging out near the bleachers with the football team... "i've got B-6, B-12, even some D-3!"
NARC NARC!!!

/it's all about the money. If they can't come up with something new, just outlaw the old and make people pay a premium for it.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
The thing that's maddening is that it's about nothing more than profit. NOTHING. It's a naturally occurring substance. Is hydrogen peroxide next? What about water? I hear that oxygen is great for a number of things the least of which is sustaining life. Why not make THAT prescription?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I read about this last week. Simply, unbelieveable...

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The thing that's maddening is that it's about nothing more than profit. NOTHING. It's a naturally occurring substance. Is hydrogen peroxide next? What about water? I hear that oxygen is great for a number of things the least of which is sustaining life. Why not make THAT prescription?
Water has been studied medicinally for years.

Just saying...same as B-6. You CANNOT FREAKING FORCE riduculous profits on something essential for life and health. You getting this yet FDA?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is really nauseating! :frustrate:

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established
****in' a . . . where's this gonna end ?!

.. Good thing the new 'president' just signed a bill to further increase the governments' control over us ordinary people. 'Land of the free' ?! I think NOT !

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Sounds a bit like what was happening with Bill C-51 in Canada, that sorta fell of the radar.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
With all of the easy-pickings bubble popped, the machine is hungry again. Nothing is as tasty as a constitution snack.

And thus, always, to tyrants.

WittyName

WittyName

Awards
  • Established
Are we going to see a limit on the amount of food we can buy?

Seriously imagine, "Sorry sir you have reached your RDA for protein I can not serve you anymore steak."

:usa2:

badfish51581

badfish51581

Awards
  • Established
They've already got a company selling prescription fish oil (Lovaza) and they mark UP the price 1,273%. This **** needs to stop.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are we going to see a limit on the amount of food we can buy?

Seriously imagine, "Sorry sir you have reached your RDA for protein I can not serve you anymore steak."

:usa2:
the precedent is already being prepared with this, via college sports, etc. Since they are pushing for universal heallth coverage, anything they feel would cost "taxpayers" more money is now under their control (smoking eating, body-mass index, etc.).

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

i must spread some reputation before giving it to dsade again ....

WittyName

WittyName

Awards
  • Established
Really its coming...
We are the minority.
You know how sick and tired I get of being ostracized because I adhere to a healthy diet, work-out, try to live a healthy life.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Ridiculous. And this is what everyone is proud of? All our freedoms?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
WOW.... YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME....

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
****in' a . . . where's this gonna end ?!

.. Good thing the new 'president' just signed a bill to further increase the governments' control over us ordinary people. 'Land of the free' ?! I think NOT !
What? The land of the Free? Whoever told you that is your enemy.

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established
What? The land of the Free? Whoever told you that is your enemy.
They were old assumptions . . . from the era before Obama got in office . . :fingersx:

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
this makes me very violent

:gay::rocketwhore::rocketwhore::saw:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just nobody tell neoborn about this thread, or he'll come in posting about the codex alimentus

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Screw this is BS.. I feel like i am going to have a stroke. Our country has not become a communist nation. I hope when the **** hits the fan people remember all the scum sucking politicians and wall street sleeze bags. Its time we take back what it being taken from us !

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Screw this is BS.. I feel like i am going to have a stroke. Our country has not become a communist nation. I hope when the **** hits the fan people remember all the scum sucking politicians and wall street sleeze bags. Its time we take back what it being taken from us !
What have you done for this Country?
(Serious question)
But you are calling this Country, one in which I sacrificed my being for, a Communist Country. Have you ever been to a Communist State? I have, and this Country is nothing like it. Yes, the FDA is screwing up, but we need to be pro-active and not neg-active.
And how are you going to take back what has been taken from you? Can you enlighten me on this?

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
I should rephrase the communist part. Our country is starting to resemble a communist nation. We are being forced to pay for the mistakes of a few greedy individuals with this multi trillion dollar bail out and now we are on the verge of losing our right to good health. The government needs to dissasociate itself from corporate america and stop trying to bleed the average citizen out of every penny they have. I, myself cannot take back anything that was taken away. No ammount of petitions to stop govermnent certain FDA actions can help, they will do what they want and its getting old.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I should rephrase the communist part. Our country is starting to resemble a communist nation. We are being forced to pay for the mistakes of a few greedy individuals with this multi trillion dollar bail out and now we are on the verge of losing our right to good health. The government needs to dissasociate itself from corporate america and stop trying to bleed the average citizen out of every penny they have. I, myself cannot take back anything that was taken away. No ammount of petitions to stop govermnent certain FDA actions can help, they will do what they want and its getting old.
Thank you, and I respnded to your PM.
Kudos on serving our Country on the home-front.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
This is sickening. What is more sickening is that this crap is becoming more and more accepted/ignored by Americans. When you take a step back and ask yourself who gives them the right to tell me it is illegal to put ANYTHING in my body, it can be infuriating to think that we're even at this point. Sure they were "elected"-but NOT to do this job. This is not the intended function of our government and it does not serve the people. The health industry is just our little niche that we hold dear but this brand of "politics" and law making is sadly commonplace in pretty much anything the government touches.

kbtoy31

kbtoy31

Awards
  • Established
You're right we don't live in a communist country we live in a capitilist country which in some ways is worse since our freedoms are taken away b/c of greed and money. And do you really think that the govmn't is going to listen to you or help you more b/c you served your country? Psssh yea they have a good track record with that. Vietnam, Desert Storm, 9-11 are a few examples. Don't get me wrong, I thank you for protecting the little freedom I do have. But the land of the free ain't so free anymore.
You may not think it will help however I urge everyone on here that doesn't want more of this B.S. to keep happening to fill out this petition and send it. It only takes a couple seconds to fill out your name and all. It brings awareness to the issue and it lets your congress person know the issues you care about.https://secure3.convio.net/aahf/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=245

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
What it boils down to for me is -Is this country a better place to live than most places in the world?- YES. Does that mean we should ignore changes to it and just be thankful for what we do have? NO. People died to start it, people have died protecting it and certain ideas, and I'll be damn if I ever take the attitude " oh well , at least it's better than Bosnia." Unfortunately we are limited with what we can do. We can write, email, call our lawmakers and vote certain ways but the dollar just speaks louder to them.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established

please, most of those people whining about the codex are just plain lying. "it requires that food be irradiated", etc. all a bunch of bs.
Seems to me, the codex aliea-whatever is more about taking vitamin and mineral supplements off the market for our own "protection". Protection from overdosing. Does not seem farfetched in my opinion, especially with the idea of taking b6 out. I do not think this is proper action since overdosing on fast food can just as likely kill someone lol. ---=*FREEDOM*=--- :usa2:

kbtoy31

kbtoy31

Awards
  • Established
What it boils down to for me is -Is this country a better place to live than most places in the world?- YES. Does that mean we should ignore changes to it and just be thankful for what we do have? NO. People died to start it, people have died protecting it and certain ideas, and I'll be damn if I ever take the attitude " oh well , at least it's better than Bosnia." Unfortunately we are limited with what we can do. We can write, email, call our lawmakers and vote certain ways but the dollar just speaks louder to them.
And the thing is what the people would of done say 150 years ago is start an uprising or a revolution. But you can't even mention that nowadays or you'll be arrested and charged with inciting a riot or terroristic threats. We shouldn't be scared of our own Govmn't.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
So other than stocking up, we should do what the article recommends:

Another thing you can do is go to the web site of the American Association for Health Freedom and sign their petition to stop the FDA from turning any more vitamins into drugs.

You should also write and call your Congressmen and Senators immediately, and tell them you don’t want the FDA banning any more vitamins by turning them into “drugs.”

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
except like most other conspiracy theory nuts, that link doesn't take you to a petition about that, it takes you to a petition calling for total reform of the FDA, blah blah blah. Standard operating procedure, get you excited, get you to sign onto their paranoia

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Why would you dismiss it so readily when it's happening regularly? It's not being hidden or even denied.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why would you dismiss it so readily when it's happening regularly? It's not being hidden or even denied.
I am dismissing the case that its some vast conspiracy held together by an elite like the skull and bones club trying to dominate the world. Yes, companies try to make a profit. And if they can, they will exploit laws to make more profit, even attempt to have laws changed. Its also what individuals do, i'm sure each of us here has in some way looked for loopholes in laws, tax codes, etc to maximize our profits/minimize our costs.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established

please, most of those people whining about the codex are just plain lying. "it requires that food be irradiated", etc. all a bunch of bs.
S'all good Easy. I'm no pro in this area but have fun when all your vitamins etc go bye bye. Don't say I didn't tell you so :)

:grouphug:

If you say "this is all bs" then obviously you have your eyes shut because its already all happening and not covered really in daily media. Each to their own.

I must admit I didn't watch that video.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I just also want to add ......the more I read / research and watch the United States I often think "could they really do anything more to f*ck things up and do pretty much everything the wrong way?" but thats just me.

Pregnant in america, Business of being born .....and pretty much every other area of life.