Deviated Septum and why I hate life right now

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Title says it all. Had a 3 part surgery for a deviated septum that has bugged me for years. Anyway had the surgery tuesday so I'm on day 2 of recovery and wow am I miserable. My nostrils have plastic splints in them, also they are filled up with dried blood, also everytime I sleep which is often due to the percocets blood run back in my throat so I cough up some lovely clumps of dried blood. Oh can't train, cant taste food, can't do $hit. So here I sit like a whiney little girl because it honestly feels like I got hit in the face with a bat.

Share some experiences who's had it?

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
That sucks!

Sorry I haven't been through that but it sounds awful...Best of luck man!

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Yeah good luck J. I'm sure that sucks!

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Thanks fella's, I knew it would suck but I hit that point where I just needed to get it done.

jbrianw88

Awards
I had it done 10 years ago, yeah it sucked for a while but it was the best thing I ever had done. I seldom get sinus infections now and haven't had an ear infection since. The thing that helped me the most was using a vaporizer at night. I kept everything moist up there. I didn't continue to bleed after a few days but things sure got crusty up there....I also used that saline nasal spray during the day to keep things soft and easier to remove...especially since you aren't supposed to blow your nose.

Good luck...it will get much better

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
jbrianw88;1803575]I had it done 10 years ago, yeah it sucked for a while but it was the best thing I ever had done. I seldom get sinus infections now and haven't had an ear infection since. The thing that helped me the most was using a vaporizer at night. I kept everything moist up there. I didn't continue to bleed after a few days but things sure got crusty up there....I also used that saline nasal spray during the day to keep things soft and easier to remove...especially since you aren't supposed to blow your nose.

Yeah I hear after the first week and you get the splints/packing out it's great and just keeps on getting better. The saline flush is not fun but it def helps with getting some blood out.

Flyers2385

Awards
I am planning on getting the surgery very soon. I have a badly deviated septum and am looking forward to the results, but the dr told me it would be a few weeks of misery.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
In 02 I had my jaw broken, couldn't eat, sleep, nothing,... so I can identify wath the misery!! Hang in there,.. this too, shall pass.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Everyone dies, noone makes it out alive.

That in itself is a testament to quality of life.

Do what makes you most happy, if its a week or two of misery for the rest of your life to improve... Its really the only option.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I am planning on getting the surgery very soon. I have a badly deviated septum and am looking forward to the results, but the dr told me it would be a few weeks of misery.
Your doc is right on

Somewhat that's what I was thinking.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Okay update as I can't leave the house and have nothing better to do. Had to go to the docs this morning as I was bleeding a lot and almost passed out doing a sinus rinse. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most pain, it was a 10. I can't wait to get through this and start hitting the weights again.

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I had it done 10 years ago, yeah it sucked for a while but it was the best thing I ever had done. I seldom get sinus infections now and haven't had an ear infection since. The thing that helped me the most was using a vaporizer at night. I kept everything moist up there. I didn't continue to bleed after a few days but things sure got crusty up there....I also used that saline nasal spray during the day to keep things soft and easier to remove...especially since you aren't supposed to blow your nose.

did by any chance you mean to say humidifier lol?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I just picked up a warm humidifier hoping it will help as the air in my house is so dry. Not sure i would want a vaporizer, sounds dangerous lol

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just picked up a warm humidifier hoping it will help as the air in my house is so dry. Not sure i would want a vaporizer, sounds dangerous lol
haha your trying to moisten your nose , and that man is trying to get you to smoke pot :rant2: lol. But I feel bad for you my father had it done and he was miserable for a little while. but now he said best decision ever.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
yeah that's what I hear from everyone, once you get through the pain and blood it's great. Also due to my bleeding and extreme nausea I just got pulled off the pain meds and put on tylenol. Anyway I'm whining like a little girl but I don't care misery loves company.:D

jbrianw88

Awards
I meant vaporizer...at least that's what it said on the box, it was made by Vicks.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I meant vaporizer...at least that's what it said on the box, it was made by Vicks.
Your right, on my humidifier it has a seperate container that you can put in vicks stuff. I may have to try that out.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Good to hear the feedback here. I have been putting this off for a little while, as I found out about mine in November. My ENT, that's supposed to be one of the tops in the area, told me I would be back to work within 3 days...

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
mass I don't know about that. Everyone is different and it really depends what is being done. I had like a 3 part surgery and the thought of me going back to work in 3 days is crazy. THe constant draining of blood and pain is not fun but everyone I talk to says it's so worth it. If I were you I would schedule the surgery for a wednesday then you'll have 5 days off (only 3 work days). I have myself one extra day and had it done on a tuesday.

On a positive note today has been the best so far. I can somewhat taste foods today, very little drainage and pain not as bad. Can't wait for tuesday and get these tubes out and really start the healing.

g35driver2003

g35driver2003

Awards
Title says it all. Had a 3 part surgery for a deviated septum that has bugged me for years. Anyway had the surgery tuesday so I'm on day 2 of recovery and wow am I miserable. My nostrils have plastic splints in them, also they are filled up with dried blood, also everytime I sleep which is often due to the percocets blood run back in my throat so I cough up some lovely clumps of dried blood. Oh can't train, cant taste food, can't do $hit. So here I sit like a whiney little girl because it honestly feels like I got hit in the face with a bat.

damn that doesnt sound good. My sister had her second surgery and it doesnt seem like its helping much. I really dont know if I want to follow up with that, my nose is all jacked up right now. I can never breathe normal.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
If you have issues it would be in your best interest to get it looked at, depending on the severity of the deviation they may just be able to give you a script for something like nasonex (allergy spray/steroid) that you can use before bed. It shrinks the tissue and helps. For me it helped but didn't last long.

Also keep in mind how much this effects sleep and also the frequency of being sick. The way I really looked at it was like so:
Less quality sleep= crappy recovery from workouts
Frequent colds and sinus infections= Out of the gym losing muscle
Heavy mouth breather= crappy endurance

Also I was tired of waking up in the morning with an hour of hacking crap out of my throat.

Flyers2385

Awards
If you have issues it would be in your best interest to get it looked at, depending on the severity of the deviation they may just be able to give you a script for something like nasonex (allergy spray/steroid) that you can use before bed. It shrinks the tissue and helps. For me it helped but didn't last long.

Also keep in mind how much this effects sleep and also the frequency of being sick. The way I really looked at it was like so:
Less quality sleep= crappy recovery from workouts
Frequent colds and sinus infections= Out of the gym losing muscle
Heavy mouth breather= crappy endurance

Also I was tired of waking up in the morning with an hour of hacking crap out of my throat.
The big reason for me to do the surgery is for the quality of sleep. I hope it will help with the snoring and give me a deeper, more rejuvenating sleep. I am on powerfull right now to help with sleep and it seems to be helping me stay asleep and puts me into a deep sleep.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
it will, if you don't already try the breath right strips, I used to wear them and they help a lot, i just got tired of buying them.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
I've needed mine fixed for 15 years now, and I wish I would have done it when I had great insurance about 8 years ago. I got a nasty cold/lung ailment that I had literally for years. I was sick on and off about every 2 months for nearly 3 weeks at a time. I almost always have a sinus infection to some degree and I haven't slept an entire night in over a decade.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established

I had a bloody nose once, does that count?

Sorry man.

Prayers for your speedy recovery is all i got.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Ugh. Sounds nasty. Hope you're healing well.

I need this surgery done as well. When I was in kindergarten, a 6th grader treated me to a flying side kick to the face..so yeah, my septum is more like an office cubicle park.

One thing that does help a lot with sinus infections and just generally keeping your sinuses open is regular use of a Netty Pot. I use strong saline solutions, colloidal silver or a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide to kill all the fungus and bugs. IF I do it regularly, then I can actually breath through one nostril, which is a real treat lol.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Yeah it's not been fun, Dr. Pack you have it worse then I do. I'm sure it's not too late for you to get it done. Insurance companies suck for sure it's a good thing I'm a MOD here and we get great insurance benefits lol

Bio it is nasty man. I haven't been able to taste anything in a week. It's very odd to taste that something is sweet or sour but not an actual flavor.

Tomorrow is the day!!!!!!! If all looks good the tubes will come out and I shall be able to taste and breathe again!!!:D:D:D Also I'm looking forward to hitting the gym again this weekend for the first time in 2 weeks. That's the longest break I've had in 10 years. I will be hitting the gym like a wild man and starting a lean mean joe green cycle.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
UPDATE to all who care, plastic tubes/splints came out and was probably the worse thing ever. It literally felt as if they were pulling my brain out through my nose, unreal. Anyway I can breathe again and the difference is amazing i'm glad I did it. The nose is still sensitive and will be healing over the next few weeks but it's feel much better and the only word to describe it is amazing!

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Makes me not want to find out what's wrong with my nasal passage; ever since I was a kid I couldn't breathe fully through my nose. I've figured it's a nasal polyp but never mentioned it. Glad you made it through your surgery OK, and tear it up in the gym!

stosh517

stosh517

Awards
had it done a year ago...was getting 3-4 sinus infections a year...the time lost to missed/poor workouts was more than the few weeks it took to recover...when you're healed you'll wonder why you didn't get it done sooner...hang in bro...

rabican

rabican

Awards
  • Established
i need this surgery as well. I went to the doc and he acted like they try not to do this operations anymore but he would perform it if i wanted it done. I'm a little worried because he said i would need to take a week off from work and 2 weeks off from lifting :(

i hear you breath so much better afterward though.

stosh517

stosh517

Awards
i need this surgery as well. I went to the doc and he acted like they try not to do this operations anymore but he would perform it if i wanted it done. I'm a little worried because he said i would need to take a week off from work and 2 weeks off from lifting :(

i hear you breath so much better afterward though.
thats pretty much standard recovery time...my breathing improved DRAMATICALLY and i havent had a sinus infection since...i freaked too when i heard no lifting for two weeks, but the time off actually healed some nagging joint issues...i came back stronger...

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Makes me not want to find out what's wrong with my nasal passage; ever since I was a kid I couldn't breathe fully through my nose. I've figured it's a nasal polyp but never mentioned it. Glad you made it through your surgery OK, and tear it up in the gym!

Sounds like you have it Steve.

As for lifting I starting back in the gym yesterday doing lighter weight more reps then come monday it's full on weights. Also my wife said my snoring has went from a level of 10 (shaking the house) to like a 2. I couldn't be happier about that it's great. She says she misses the snoring lol go figure.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
UPDATE to all who care, plastic tubes/splints came out and was probably the worse thing ever. It literally felt as if they were pulling my brain out through my nose, unreal. Anyway I can breathe again and the difference is amazing i'm glad I did it. The nose is still sensitive and will be healing over the next few weeks but it's feel much better and the only word to describe it is amazing!
Question: Is/was your nose crooked a little? Mine is slightly bent but nothing bad. Just wondering if they straighten that **** out when they fix the septum. Mine was some ass hole playing basket ball decided to show his girlfriend how awesome he was by throwing the ball at me over hand when I wasn't paying attention.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you have it Steve.

As for lifting I starting back in the gym yesterday doing lighter weight more reps then come monday it's full on weights. Also my wife said my snoring has went from a level of 10 (shaking the house) to like a 2. I couldn't be happier about that it's great. She says she misses the snoring lol go figure. LOL
My girl finds something to hit me with in the night, like a towel or pillow. I guess I snore about like my lab does. Between me, the baby and the dog she can't get any sleep.
:yawn:

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Nah I have a bump on the bridge of my nose but that's more genetic (italian). I didn't have them nor did I want them to do anything with the shape or size of my nose. They just did everything internally that needed to be done.

I can't believe how much it's helped with my snoring, I didn't even think about it until she said something. I also have a warm humidifier in the bedroom now to help keep my nasal passage moist and that seems to help.