B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As the title states - I got hit!

Last week - 01/15/09 I was laid off. Been with them for three years.

I have been very blessed recently as I have not been out of work for nearly 5 years. There was a patch there about 7 years ago when I had some setbacks. Those setbacks made me a better man. Here's to the better man that is on the way.

Romans 5:3-5
"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

Galations 6:9
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

Don't feel like you are alone. If you need support - look no further.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear that.. Best of luck to you, through this tough time.

Hopefully things dont have to get too much worse, before getting better.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
May I ask what it is that you do/did for a living, Brian?

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Job is an awesome book of the Bible to study when you go through these types of things! I'm glad you know where to turn; however, I'm sorry for your situation. I'm looking for work right now, myself. It's hard to find these days, and I don't see it getting any easier down the road...at least in the private sector.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks guys.

I am in the field of Quality Assurance. Most of it has been in machine part manufacturing. It has been primarily in retail/commercial small engine and aerospace machined parts with some casting, injection mold, and automated and manual assembly line.

I have been everything from a receiving inspector, source inspector, first article inspector, quality engineer and a quality manager.

I have in recent years been back in a first article position as a CMM (coordinate measurement machine) programmer for aerospace/semi-conductor CNC machined parts.

I do not have a degree but do have nearly 25 years in the field.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, I wish you all the best.
Do you have any leads?
And would you consider relocating for a new position?

Uncle Sam is always looking for a few good men like yourself to do contract work overseas. Just a thought. And I’m not referring to an all out enlistment; contract work for private companies are usually done through the Government.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I wish you all the best.
Do you have any leads?
And would you consider relocating for a new position?

Uncle Sam is always looking for a few good men like yourself to do contract work overseas. Just a thought. And I’m not referring to an all out enlistment; contract work for private companies are usually done through the Government.
Few leads at the moment. Was looking for months before the lay off. Absolutely reconsider relocation.

The challenge right now is that I left an hourly position that I am at the very high end of the hourly pay rate. Most of the work out there is not nearly as complex as my capabilities are and therefore the pay rate is not near what I am accustomed to.

The salaried positions commensurate with my hourly annual income are degreed positions.

There is a lot of family support on this end. My mom and step-father offered me a vocational rehabilitation scholarship and financial assistance in the interim. I'm in the process of researching vocational schools. This may be the opportunity of a lifetime to get myself out of this dieing industry and into an industry that has a future.

It is ironic that at 43 yo I still cannot answer the question - what would you want to do if you could do anything. ;)

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It is ironic that at 43 yo I still cannot answer the question - what would you want to do if you could do anything. ;)
I understand your statement, completely. I was sidlined because of an injury that will never heal. Especially to return to Combat. So I asked myself that same question... I'm sort of doing the Vocational Rehab, but just using my Applied Science degree (BS) and rolling into Nursing school. After that, who knows, really. But, I would rather be straped and running with my Unit.
Life is funny, that's for sure.

That's awesome that you have a support system; I shudder to think what it would be like without one.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's awesome that you have a support system; I shudder to think what it would be like without one.
That's what motivated me to start the thread.

A set back for me and my family could be a calamity for the next guy and his family.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry the hear about this, brian. I wish you all the best my friend. It's awesome that you have such a great support system in place, that is a blessing on all accounts. Plus, you also have your AM brethren to support you as well.

I think i have the answer for you........become a Murse! Good money, job security, and you make your own schedule through self scheduling. Not to mention only working 3 - 12 hour shifts/week, and plenty of opportunity for overtime. The job may be a pain in the ass at times, but the tremendous perks are worth it in every way. Just think, you could get though nursing school program, and then have some smart ass guy like me be your preceptor, haha! :D ;)

Good times would be had my friend. I really wish you the best buddy, and if you need anything you know where to find me. :)

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
As the title states - I got hit!

Last week - 01/15/09 I was laid off. Been with them for three years.

I have been very blessed recently as I have not been out of work for nearly 5 years. There was a patch there about 7 years ago when I had some setbacks. Those setbacks made me a better man. Here's to the better man that is on the way.

Romans 5:3-5
"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

Galations 6:9
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

Don't feel like you are alone. If you need support - look no further.
I agree with Irish Cannon, at least you know where to turn when you have problems, God is the answer to all problems, always have faith in God.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys.

I am in the field of Quality Assurance. Most of it has been in machine part manufacturing. It has been primarily in retail/commercial small engine and aerospace machined parts with some casting, injection mold, and automated and manual assembly line.

I have been everything from a receiving inspector, source inspector, first article inspector, quality engineer and a quality manager.

I have in recent years been back in a first article position as a CMM (coordinate measurement machine) programmer for aerospace/semi-conductor CNC machined parts.

I do not have a degree but do have nearly 25 years in the field.
Weird. You and I are in literally the same field. Self employed machinist and I build MIL spec parts for various companies. However I have 3 months worth of work on the floor right now and more coming in. The is the first time we haven't felt so much as a bump as far as the economy goes. I'm hoping it keeps going.:borladuck:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Weird. You and I are in literally the same field. Self employed machinist and I build MIL spec parts for various companies. However I have 3 months worth of work on the floor right now and more coming in. The is the first time we haven't felt so much as a bump as far as the economy goes. I'm hoping it keeps going.:borladuck:
My previous employer was very poor at diversifying their contracts. They lumped a huge amount of income in proprietary machine contracts (meaning you can't run other stuff on those machines) with AMAT (Applied Materials - Semiconductor). So when Motorola and Intel cut off orders from them they cut off orders from us. It hit them big time. They literally have machines idle because they lumped all their eggs in one basket. It was a situation where 20-40% of their product output was making 80-90% of their profit. They paid them well for that exclusivity. But today it is their downfall.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
My previous employer was very poor at diversifying their contracts. They lumped a huge amount of income in proprietary machine contracts (meaning you can't run other stuff on those machines) with AMAT (Applied Materials - Semiconductor). So when Motorola and Intel cut off orders from them they cut off orders from us. It hit them big time. They literally have machines idle because they lumped all their eggs in one basket. It was a situation where 20-40% of their product output was making 80-90% of their profit. They paid them well for that exclusivity. But today it is their downfall.
I learned that lesson 10 years ago when a customer that was paying us over $20k/mo had a CEO change up and they threw us out.

Thats the one reason we can run a 2 man shop with 12 machines. Diversity is the key. We do aerospace, basic maintainence/repairs such as refurbishing gear boxes and machinery for production lines in food processing, ornamental iron, gun parts, recumbent carbon fiber bicycle components, spindles and restraint components for roller coasters, etc.

Our capabilities are CNC lathe/mill, manual lathe/mill, OD cylindrical grinding, tool/cutter grinding, surface grinding, welding etc. We can do a little of everything, and so far its paid off. If things keep going we're thinking of a 2000sq ft expansion to put in CNC plasma cutting. Thats what I'm praying for.
:006:

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Lungz you and share a common feeling. When I got hurt going thru the Q Course (Specials forces qualification course), I realized I had to make a career change to preserve what was left of my body. Not a day goes by that I don't miss having a ruck on my back or jumping out of something flying in the air. I honestly hate civilian life, but I have come to terms with it. I am relocating to be with my fiance, and I know with the way things are, I might have to consider a pay loss. B, hang in there man, I always say "sometimes bad things have to happen in order for something good to happen"

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I learned that lesson 10 years ago when a customer that was paying us over $20k/mo had a CEO change up and they threw us out.

Thats the one reason we can run a 2 man shop with 12 machines. Diversity is the key. We do aerospace, basic maintainence/repairs such as refurbishing gear boxes and machinery for production lines in food processing, ornamental iron, gun parts, recumbent carbon fiber bicycle components, spindles and restraint components for roller coasters, etc.

Our capabilities are CNC lathe/mill, manual lathe/mill, OD cylindrical grinding, tool/cutter grinding, surface grinding, welding etc. We can do a little of everything, and so far its paid off. If things keep going we're thinking of a 2000sq ft expansion to put in CNC plasma cutting. Thats what I'm praying for.
:006:
That sound like a good set-up you have there.

We were quite a bit larger with 135,000 square foot machine floor, and 9,000 square feet clean room. Boeing, Hughes-Raytheon, Hamilton Sundstrand, Pratt Whitney were our aerospace contracts and AMAT was the Semi-Cond.

Where are you at?

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
That sound like a good set-up you have there.

We were quite a bit larger with 135,000 square foot machine floor, and 9,000 square feet clean room. Boeing, Hughes-Raytheon, Hamilton Sundstrand, Pratt Whitney were our aerospace contracts and AMAT was the Semi-Cond.

Where are you at?
Utah.

heh. We're at 5000 sq ft. I had a buddy that worked for Raethon and Moog before they outsourced everything to Indonesia. Some of the mill/work stations are simply amazing. I'm simply amazed and fascinated by some of the automated machinery that exists these days. When I visit other shops that have the latest and greatest machinery I could literally sit and watch it run all damn day.

The History Channel runs a few things now and again that touch on machining and manufacturing. No matter how much you know, there's someone out there that knows more.:dance:

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear that B! I could possibly be getting hit Monday lol!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
best wishes to all. it's a really hard and scary time right now. like someone else said, lets hope things do not get much worse. we have to remember the that a job is a job, and there are much more important things in life to be thankful for.

on a side note, the healthcare industry is always a more stable avenue. its always good to have a plan b, c, d...... i only have a plan b :(

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I might have to bring my ski mask out of retirement, lol, JK. There will be a lot of uninsured vehicles on road pretty soon. People will get so behind on cash, they will start to juggle which bill to pay or not to pay. I can almost guarantee, auto insurance will take a back seat to food, and utilities or car note. At some point the car note will get dropped from the "what to pay list". With that being said, be careful out there guys, because the next accident you get into might be with an uninsured driver. I sure miss not paying co-pay, or worrying about paying medical bills. For 15 yrs I never had to worry about getting laid off, or paying medical or dental or vision bills; Uncle Sam took care of it all. One thing you can count on, no matter how bad the economy gets, the military NEVER lays off personnel.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I was in quality too.

I've been laid off 3 times from 3 different places over the last 3 years...always right at the same time of year too (Dec 31 2006, Jan 15 2007, Dec 5 2008).

I've been through my unemployment so much that the checks this time are a whopping $203 every 2 weeks! :worried:

It wears on you...I feel unwanted. I go places and see some dumbasses with jobs and know I'm better than them, yet they have a job and I don't...it makes me wonder if I'm really that good afterall.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry brian, the world can be a unfair place for sure. Keep your head up man, and watch a good Gwen Stefani video if you need some cheering up. :laugh:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
keep your head up B. I am certain you will find opportunity elsewhere.

I feel very fortunate as a tenured teacher especially in this economy. Depending on your educational background it might be something to consider, along with T's murse option

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
This may be the opportunity of a lifetime to get myself out of this dieing industry and into an industry that has a future.

It is ironic that at 43 yo I still cannot answer the question - what would you want to do if you could do anything. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm going through a very similar situation having done work for AIG, yet when AIG went down so did 80% of my income. I have since moved from a 3-bd condo to a 1-bd apartment with my teenage daughter and at 41 it gets me down sometimes.

I have been in the fraud investigative industry and it has never been what I really wanted to do yet I got stuck in the job for 15 years. So like you I see this as an opportunity to find out what I really can do and will enjoy.

Also like you I don't really know what I want to do with my life. I do see others mt age in good "jobs" and financially doing okay but they don't seem to have a soul behind their daily actions. As if they are done with the adventure of life already.

Moving to a 1-bd without a garage has given me a complete new perspective on life and who I am and what I want. I keep a quote from Plato next to me front door. It reads, "In order to seek one's own direction, one must simplify the mechanics of ordinary, everyday life." I feel my extreme downsizing has greatly simplified my life and is therefore allowing me to find what it is I truly seek out of this life.

Maybe being laid off will be the best thing that ever happened to you. It is up to you with how you respond to the situation. But you will be fine.

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
It wears on you...I feel unwanted. I go places and see some dumbasses with jobs and know I'm better than them, yet they have a job and I don't...it makes me wonder if I'm really that good afterall.
Hell yeah, I totally understand!!

In the course of my work I have to interview people from all walks of life and a variety of jobs. I have interviewed complete idiots who work for the county who can't compose a sentence and are ineffective in their occupation yet they have a nice income, great benefits, and regardless of what they do wrong are NEVER fired.

Met this one guy being paid $20 hour and his job was to take ahose and water the plants at a city college. Didn't even finish high school. Dumb as sh*t. Yet some investigative companies now ask me to work for less then that but still produce a wel-written legal report for their lawyers and possibly a judge to read.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I feel bad for all of you guys! I hate that this type of stuff has to happen to good people. You guys keep your heads up! We are all here to support you guys if you ever need it!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I feel a bit ashamed. I got a big promotion and something like 20% raise on Jan 1st. I'm now the economist for the chemical plant/refinery complex I work for.

As I've learned and read more - I don't think we are out of this downswing anytime soon. I don't mean to be bleak or anything.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I feel a bit ashamed. I got a big promotion and something like 20% raise on Jan 1st. I'm now the economist for the chemical plant/refinery complex I work for.

As I've learned and read more - I don't think we are out of this downswing anytime soon. I don't mean to be bleak or anything.
I got something like, 7-8% back on Dec 1st when I got promoted. Luckily I have been stockpiling money for a house the last couple of years. Also have 160hrs of vacation time they will have to pay me for in case I get cut. I just hope if I do get fired, that I can find something else before I have to eat into all of my savings!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I feel very fortunate as a tenured teacher especially in this economy. Depending on your educational background it might be something to consider, along with T's murse option
Definitely! :D

DGSky

DGSky

Awards

In Calif teachers are being laid off. No Summer school at my daughter's high school or the other local high school.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I have asked myself as well as others, what hell caused this economic situation? I hear it's bad real estate deals. But I doubt that is the only thing.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been in the fraud investigative industry and it has never been what I really wanted to do yet I got stuck in the job for 15 years. So like you I see this as an opportunity to find out what I really can do and will enjoy.

Also like you I don't really know what I want to do with my life. I do see others mt age in good "jobs" and financially doing okay but they don't seem to have a soul behind their daily actions. As if they are done with the adventure of life already.

Maybe being laid off will be the best thing that ever happened to you. It is up to you with how you respond to the situation. But you will be fine.
Absolutely appreciate your condor. Those issues are crucial at this time of my life. Money will come and money will go and the debt that comes and goes with it.

Pleasure, peace and the joy of living is increasingly more important as my days on this planet grow shorter.

I am looking to find ways to be of help to others as we speak. "Be" the "me" that I can be for someone else and it may make a difference for them and it may be the difference that I need.

I do believe we are much more than what we do for income. Unfortunately the business of life gets in the way of living.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was in quality too.

I've been laid off 3 times from 3 different places over the last 3 years...always right at the same time of year too (Dec 31 2006, Jan 15 2007, Dec 5 2008).

I've been through my unemployment so much that the checks this time are a whopping $203 every 2 weeks! :worried:

Good luck. Chin up!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In Calif teachers are being laid off. No Summer school at my daughter's high school or the other local high school.
tenured or non tenured?

That makes a huge difference

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I have asked myself as well as others, what hell caused this economic situation? I hear it's bad real estate deals. But I doubt that is the only thing.
That's just part of it. It's actually a "perfect storm" type of mess. A lot happened really close together.

Good luck. Chin up!
Thanks. I'll try.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Sorry about you being laid off Brian. That sucks. Hang in there. Hope you find something real soon!

cheloz28

cheloz28

Awards
  • Established
I was working for a logistics company for the last 4yrs and was Laid off 3 weeks ago.
The best thing to do is try to keep busy and try to stay positive. Im in the same boat and trying to figure out what I want to do in Life as far as a career goes.

Hang in there man

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I wish all the best to everyone in this boat.

Personally Ive been layed off probably a dozen times (I know Im just lucky I guess :D ) This does lead to some serious trials, especially when you have a family to provide for. It also puts enough pressure on you and your family to see what ugly thing are hidden in each of us. Its a great time to work on issues that we were previously unaware of.

Ive looked to God as my source for yrs and Ive never been left down....actually 90% of my work has come to me from a totally different direction than I was looking.

Ive got many stories that defy the notion of chance but heres my latest.

Ive been in the telecom field for 5+yrs. I got layed off this summer with no recall date. So I just thanked God for providing and leading me in my next venue. A month and a half go by and my wife sees an add for telecomm workers in the local paper ( the area where I live there are more cows than people so it was strange to say the least.lol) I asked her to send in a resume.

Long story short, I got hired with a pay increase with two raises/yr and benefits plus a sizeable yrly bonus and I now work local.(Id tried to find out who did the local work for yrs to no avail) and lastly. This company is the only telecomm company doing any volume of work PA and the work we do is govt mandated til 2015.

I am most grateful. Praise God!

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
i'm sure that the future will hold bigger and better things for u B :thumbsup:

still sorry to read about the layoff but me thinks that it will probably turn out to be a blessing in deguise

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think if I lost my job right now it would send me over the edge... I know i don't have the support channel most have. Relied on myself for so long that it would be difficult to find one. Thank goodness for criminals??

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
I think if I lost my job right now it would send me over the edge... I know i don't have the support channel most have. Relied on myself for so long that it would be difficult to find one. Thank goodness for criminals??
what about the Fire Dept? you'd make a great fireman bro

or for the more extreme...

a bounty hunter!

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
i just got hit too... unemployement sucks.. a whopping 270/week whoooo! Trying to get my online business going and find a side cash paying job

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The salaried positions commensurate with my hourly annual income are degreed positions.
don't let that stop you from applying. I don't have a degree, but have held a number of positions that were "Bachelors Degree required"

And too, just for everyones sake although it sucks when it happens to you, its been worse than this in our lifetimes.... So i'm not that horribly concerned yet. Its the aftermath of this which could be totally crazy, does anyone else remember 16% mortgages?

DGSky

DGSky

Awards
Any suggestions on how to prepare the best resume especially for someone who is changing careers?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Best to fit them for each type of job you're applying for. Look at the way they place the openings as well. It'll usually give you some insight on how they expect them to be done.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
God will close one door sometimes, just to open a new one up.