B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Birth of Jesus

In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria. And everyone went to his own town to register.

So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

The Shepherds and the Angels

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about."

So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Visit of the Magi

After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi[a] from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him."

When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him. When he had called together all the people's chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Christ was to be born. "In Bethlehem in Judea," they replied, "for this is what the prophet has written:

"'But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for out of you will come a ruler who will be the shepherd of my people Israel.'"

Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. He sent them to Bethlehem and said, "Go and make a careful search for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him."

After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen in the east went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh. And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Escape to Egypt

When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. "Get up," he said, "take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him." So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: "Out of Egypt I called my son."

When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi. Then what was said through the prophet Jeremiah was fulfilled:

"A voice is heard in Ramah, weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more."

The Return to Nazareth

After Herod died, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt and said, "Get up, take the child and his mother and go to the land of Israel, for those who were trying to take the child's life are dead."

So he got up, took the child and his mother and went to the land of Israel. But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning in Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. Having been warned in a dream, he withdrew to the district of Galilee, and he went and lived in a town called Nazareth. So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets: "He will be called a Nazarene."

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Merry Christmas! I still celebrate it, prollly won't be long until Christmas is illegal because of all the PC in our country today...

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see no reason to outlaw it at this point.

There no longer is a Christ in our Christmas.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
I see no reason to outlaw it at this point.

There no longer is a Christ in our Christmas.
what are you talking about? you mean this isn't Christ?

......i figured anyone who magically flew a sleigh and delivered presents had to be Christ.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKk9rv2hUfA"]YouTube - Charlie Brown Christmas[/ame]

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErrzjGCi3gY"]YouTube - It's A Wonderful Life Ending[/ame]

dg806

dg806

Awards
  • Established
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiKBz1rlwGI"]YouTube - Jessica Simpson - O Holy Night[/ame]

dg806

dg806

Awards
  • Established
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NHFuZxxghs"]YouTube - Eric Cartman (South Park) Tries to Sing O'Holy Night.[/ame]

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!"

I would have to say that O Holy Night is my favorite Christmas song.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah to all.

Even though Christmas it is based predominantly on all pagan holidays :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I say Merry Christmas I really mean the celebration of the birth of Christ.

If I were to say Happy Hanukkah I would really mean The Festival of Lights.

If I were to say "Happy Holidays" I would mean a general "Happy Holidays".

As a Christian when I say "Merry Christmas" I really mean the celebration of the birth of Christ regardless of the pagan origins or worldy secular ritual.

You are more than welcome to generate a Happy Hanukkah thread to celebrate Hanukkah :)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Heat, I was just playing around. I have no issue at all with the thread, I was just having a little fun

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know you were. There is no problem. Start a Happy Hanukkah thread ;)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will give serious consideration to it :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We Are the Reason for the Season

"I got to thinking about the popular slogan that has emerged in the last several years as groups have become more and more hostile about the meaning of Christmas. I’m, of course, talking about “Jesus is the reason for the season”. Now I will admit that the reason we have Christmas is because of Jesus’ birth but He is not the reason for the season. Let that one sink in for a moment. Why did God send His only Son to earth to be born a helpless, defenseless baby? Why did the heavens just not open up and Jesus in all His glory and righteousness and majesty come down and proclaim that He was here to save the world?

The reason is us. We are the reason for the season. We needed a savior and we needed an example of how to live. Jesus is that Savior and He is that example of how to live. Jesus was born and raised up and lived just like you and me to show us how to live. What makes Jesus different from us is that He lived a blameless, sinless life. He died on the cross as a sacrifice for the sin of the world and that makes Him a Savior. God did not need to do anything but He loves us so much that He yearns for a relationship with us His creation. God actually wants! He wants us! Isaiah says…

Isaiah 9:6a (NLT)
For a child is born to us, a son is given to us.
(Emphasis mine)

As Mary treasured in her heart the gift of God born of her that night over 2000 years ago, I pray that you treasure in your heart the gift that God has made available to all of us in Jesus the Christ. Remember as the gifts are being passed out in your house this season that we are the reason for the season.

Merry Christmas!"

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Born Unto You

Luke 2:8-14 “And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Unknown and insignificant to many, the shepherd’s life was one of hardship and isolation. It was a job that paid meager wages, a job without glory and little recognition. Being a shepherd was not a career choice. In a society such as Israel’s, somebody must watch the sheep. As a result, the poor man was able to carve his notch in society by hiring himself out to render this service to other men.

The hills of Judea were the work place of the shepherds. The soil was rocky, the hills and mountains were rugged and treacherous. The terrain was filled with wildlife from which the sheep must be shielded. Judea was hot in the summer and cold in the winter, cold enough at night to take the sheep out of the fields and place them into the folds. Being a shepherd was not necessarily back-breaking work, but it was certainly a lonely life almost sure to end in financial poverty.

God chose this class of men to be the first recipients of the greatest tidings ever revealed unto man kind. Was this a mistake? Could the angel have mistakenly delivered the message to the wrong people? There was no mistake. Unlike most monarchs, Jesus was a King for the people. “to all people.” The angle from the Lord delivered the message with pinpoint accuracy to those for whom it was intended, the people. The angel revealed "unto you a child is born." The Sovereign of the universe would come and be born to the people. The king would not be born within the walls of a royal palace, but rather in a barnyard stall where He could experience from the first day, the life of the people for which He came to save; the humble, the poor in spirit, the meek.

What happened next I like to refer to as the poor man’s concert. They, smelled like sheep, they were unshaven, dirty, and wearing their working clothes, yet these unsuspecting shepherds of Judea were the only guests invited to this heavenly concerto. A heavenly host proclaimed the praises of God for what was revealed to man. The peace that comes by knowing the Savior... now revealed. The love and goodwill that God bestowed on that day will never have its glory repeated. For on that day we, the people, were given the Gift of God. Emmanuel. We should give thanks for the birth of the Savior who is Christ the Lord. For without His birth, there could be no death and without His death, He could not become the firstborn from the dead. Oh how great the salvation in Jesus! How generous the grace of God who made it possible for all people to be saved through faith.

Perhaps you feel as unknown and as insignificant as a nameless shepherd in Judea. Be assured the Lord knows who you are. And though we never hear with our mortal ears the heavenly host praising God, on the day of your obedience to the gospel call, the heavenly chorus burst forth in songs of joy for the next measure of the poor man’s concert.

By Kenneth R. Peden
From Expository Files 10.11; November, 2003

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Timelines? If the wisemen/Maj saw the star in the east and headed from where(?) how long did it take for them to reach Jesus and what time of the year was it? Was it in December?

Merry Christmas!

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Merry Christmas to all of you here and your families. Have a wonderful and safe time. :)

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Merry Christmas everyone.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Merry Christmas All!

I just seen an interesting documentary today that they actually believe that the birth of Christ happened April 17 6bc. One of the earlier popes made it December 25 to coincide with a roman(i believe it was roman) festival. Also the modern day Santa Clause as we know it was really created by CocaCola, before that he was pictured as a drunkard pretty much. Either way I hope everyone is having a good holiday season with their friends and family no matter what holiday they are celebrating.

dg806

dg806

Awards
  • Established
Merry Christmas!
Every year I think that God could have called legions of angels at any time to go get his son and never let him go thru what WE put him thru. He chose not to, to give us a chance at life. How many of us would have given up our son for that?

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
Timelines? If the wisemen/Maj saw the star in the east and headed from where(?) how long did it take for them to reach Jesus and what time of the year was it? Was it in December?

Merry Christmas!

The wise men traveled about 2 years to follow the star before they reached Jesus. The shepherds saw him first. (Most "nativity" scenes are inaccurate and idolatrous. They have the wise men at the stable with the baby in the manger) The real timeline is:

-John the Baptist who was born in April
-Jesus and John were born 6 months apart
-Shepherds to this very day bring their flocks in for the year by the 2nd week of October. They're not out in December.
-Jesus was born around the end of September, Early October.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you. This is my first christmas while on AM, and I look forward to many more. I hope all of you get what you wish for. Thanks for all the support you all have given me since I got on here. This place has truly been like a home away from home. I know I can come here and get good sound advice......well on most days, lol.....except when Rugger and Omen, are clowning or fcuking with someone....hahaha, jk. You guys are awesome. Ok enough mushy stuff.....go lift some weights now.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
merry christmas, and as much as I hate to do this, I have to say that the today show just did a ncie job on the pagan history of christmas. I was pleasantly surprised.

Regardless of anything else, to you all here, be safe and enjoy your family

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Merry Christmas, Rock on Heat Miser. Glad some other people understand what its all about.

I say Merry Christmas, only, never will I say, happy holidays. Even if it costs me a job. America has had to bend over and take it enough, I am not going to.:thumbsup:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The wise men traveled about 2 years to follow the star before they reached Jesus. The shepherds saw him first. (Most "nativity" scenes are inaccurate and idolatrous. They have the wise men at the stable with the baby in the manger) The real timeline is:

-John the Baptist who was born in April
-Jesus and John were born 6 months apart
-Shepherds to this very day bring their flocks in for the year by the 2nd week of October. They're not out in December.
-Jesus was born around the end of September, Early October.

Cool, thanks

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Merry Christmas all. I hope all of you are surrounded by loved ones and if you find yourself in a situation where you're not and you're needing a friend to help carry you through, make sure to reach out to your God and make your needs known.

This is a time of celebration to most but it also can be a time of mourning. Make sure to look out for your fellow man because sometimes all they need is a smile, hug or a simple acknowledgement that there are still people who care.

Merry Christmas and God bless.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I say Merry Christmas to all!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PhantomReaper Anabolics 14
match General Chat 9
thebigt Iron Legion 6
thebigt Alpha Gainz 2
thebigt Iconic Formulations 0