Shaker Cup Smell Won't Go Away

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
This sucks. I have powder in the cup. I add water. That whey is in there for less than 3 minutes before I already drank it all and washed the thing out WITH SOAP. Then it sits in the fridge for a few hours, until I leave work and go home. The next day, it smells rank. Like I left the whey mixture in there overnight or something. But not every shaker cup. It's hit and miss. And some of the misses aren't even fixed with the dishwasher. Do I need to take further precautions than scrubbing the thing immediately afterward with soap and water?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
try a little soap, a little bleach, add water till full, let sit for one minute, scrub and let dry.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
i have the same problem, is it a GNC shaker with a metal wire ball for a mixer, any chance? I have one that just Smells horrid, i will fill it with bleach and let it sit there for a day, still wont go away.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
you need to rinse it out with hot water immediately after drinking it, dry it with a towel and then let it sit out. Do not under any circumstances put the cap back on and just let it sit.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
How to remove odors from plastic containers like tupperware:
- Wash them with hot water and two or threetablespoons of baking soda. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Make sure that your plastic container is dry. Put crumpled newspaper, activated charcoal filters or loose activated charcoal in the plastic container. Close the plastic container. After days/weeks, some of the odor will be absorbed. Bofore you use it, rinse well with water.
- Soak for a while in vinegar and water
- Open the containers and put them in sunlight for a few days.
- If your container is made of freezer-safe plastic, freeze your container for while.
- If nothing helps, get used to the smell or buy stainless steel containers.

Watch out: some people suggest filling with chlorine bleach for a few days. I do not recommend this as Chlorine bleach is toxic. If you use it, be carefull and rinse your containers well before using them again.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
This is going to sound weird but if you dissolve a couple denture tabs in warm water inside the cup and let it sit overnight it will be good as new. Then for future reference when you rinse it out leave the cap off or at least open.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Watch out: some people suggest filling with chlorine bleach for a few days. I do not recommend this as Chlorine bleach is toxic. If you use it, be carefull and rinse your containers well before using them again.
This may not have been the best footnote when you consider that it was not rinsing the cup well that got him in this 'pickle' in the first place :lol:

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
get a shaker with Thicker Plastic I find the ones with thicker plastic dont' have smells as easily.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
rugger said it first!..HOT WATER!!!!rinse right after use,and leave the cap open to dry!

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
The hot water option is at a moot point right now, the smell is already here. Now he has nuke it, then once nuked, he can probably apply the hot water technique as everyday maintenance. An alternative would be to line it up on a ledge and use it as target practice. At least you won't have to worry about venting it, cause it will have so many holes in it now, lol.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
The hot water option is at a moot point right now, the smell is already here. Now he has nuke it, then once nuked, he can probably apply the hot water technique as everyday maintenance. An alternative would be to line it up on a ledge and use it as target practice. At least you won't have to worry about venting it, cause it will have so many holes in it now, lol.
:lol::thumbsup:

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
I just let em' stink! Which is kind of strange, cause I'm a really clean guy with a clean house. I just don't care about my shaker cup, though.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just let em' stink! Which is kind of strange, cause I'm a really clean guy with a clean house. I just don't care about my shaker cup, though.
Since taste is affected in large part by smell, it really kills my appetite if the shaker cup smelled. Lots of good ideas; I would probably just try letting some boiling water sit in it, then go with the others. Good luck :thumbsup: And if all else fails, http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/sundesa/blender-bottle-28-oz.html

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
This sucks. I have powder in the cup. I add water. That whey is in there for less than 3 minutes before I already drank it all and washed the thing out WITH SOAP. Then it sits in the fridge for a few hours, until I leave work and go home. The next day, it smells rank. Like I left the whey mixture in there overnight or something. But not every shaker cup. It's hit and miss. And some of the misses aren't even fixed with the dishwasher. Do I need to take further precautions than scrubbing the thing immediately afterward with soap and water?
look into a brand new one from NUTRAPLANET!:thumbsup:

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Since taste is affected in large part by smell, it really kills my appetite if the shaker cup smelled. Lots of good ideas; I would probably just try letting some boiling water sit in it, then go with the others. Good luck :thumbsup: And if all else fails, http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/sundesa/blender-bottle-28-oz.html

Well, as of late, and probably from here on in, I drink NOW Foods Whey Isolate. It's not exactly delicious in itself, so I'm not too carin'. Hahaahha.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I have about 49 unused shakers courtesy of Nutraplanet. If one of my gets stinky or moldy I just toss it and break out a new one.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
I have about 49 unused shakers courtesy of Nutraplanet. If one of my gets stinky or moldy I just toss it and break out a new one.
Yeah, ya probably do that with your skivees, too! Man, you're such a too........ Oh shet, this ain't the anony-section.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Oh. Wow. Look. You got me.
Hahahah, in retrospect, it was a weak joke! hahhaha. But man, I'm having some happy OD going on here. First time ever, so I guess just pay no attention, cause the dumb jokes have been happening a lot lately. This happiness is like a new toy for me.:lol::icon_lol:

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
rugger said it first!..HOT WATER!!!!rinse right after use,and leave the cap open to dry!
Awesome way to leach out BPA and other great sh*t in plastic :trout:

I left mine for 24 hours one time and it stunk like a $5 70yr old hookers ass, I just rinsed it out and used it, I gotta keep my immunity system on it's toes :twisted:

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Awesome way to leach out BPA and other great sh*t in plastic :trout:

I left mine for 24 hours one time and it stunk like a $5 70yr old hookers ass, I just rinsed it out and used it, I gotta keep my immunity system on it's toes :twisted:
LMFAO!..LOL..:lol:

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you could try a stainless steel cocktail shaker

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
It's not the plastic, it's the milk in the protein.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
For those of you who arent cleaning those shaker bottles very well, be warned!....You are creating a seriously dangerous situation of getting sick as HELL. It happened to me once before, and I guarantee you it will never happen again.

holy

Etomic

Awards
  • Established
You are creating a seriously dangerous situation of getting sick as HELL.
holy
But you keep some cash, saving on laxatives. Since my three day long experience. I rinse with hot, hot water and wipe it clean with paper towels. You can see the residue come out on the paper towels... but haven't had a problem since.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I drink milk out of lactating breasts - no need for shakers