any LINUX geniuses out there?

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
ok i have a old flat panel imac laying around and wanted to use it instead of tossing it(i have a intel imac i use).i wanted to ask what would be a good version of linux to run on this.i notice ubuntu needs the intel based mac but what about suse? or red hat?

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
ok i have a old flat panel imac laying around and wanted to use it instead of tossing it(i have a intel imac i use).i wanted to ask what would be a good version of linux to run on this.i notice ubuntu needs the intel based mac but what about suse? or red hat?
What kind of processor does it have? I know modern macs can run linux pretty easily.

I've installed and run linux on a lot of systems but never tried it on an old imac.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
800mhz power pc g4..yea i havent seen or heard of anyone using a old imac to run linux but with snow leopard coming out in 2009 and from what i heard it will only support intel macs..i figure why not try it in this imac..i will only be using it to surf the net.i just bought and moved into a new house and i dont feel like buying a newpc just for linux. ubuntu can supposedly run on the intel imacs

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
nice , i was looking into suse,according to that site either mandrake or suse will run..thank you
If you haven't run linux before I would suggest ubuntu. It's very user friendly and debian based distributions are usually very easy to learn.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
If you haven't run linux before I would suggest ubuntu. It's very user friendly and debian based distributions are usually very easy to learn.
yea the problem is it(ubuntu) says compatible with intel macs.i was gonna try yellow dog now that i looked into it

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
yea the problem is it(ubuntu) says compatible with intel macs.i was gonna try yellow dog now that i looked into it
Go for it; it's based off red hat and uses RPM's.

If it's older, once you get X running I would suggest blackbox or XFCE as your window manager. I have those running on a set of old laptops that are 433mhz and 800mhz respectively and they run well.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Yea Caferacer is pretty much on point.

I use a Mac Book pro and I got Ubuntu on Virtual Machine.
I used to have a windows box with Suse on it partitioned. But that was nowhere near as old as that iMac u got there.

I never installed or looked at Red Hat in depth, wouldn't know about it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DAdams91982 General Chat 5
slow-mun General Chat 3