gut health yogurt :)

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Pretty simple; I'm attempting to make my own yogurt with Gut Health as the prominent bacteria. 8 hours and I'll know if this worked or not.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
It didn't freaking work! Aggh!! What could I have done wrong!!

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
what strain is in Gut Health? Certain bacteria need specific nutrients (and conditions) to multiply boss.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
what strain is in Gut Health? Certain bacteria need specific nutrients (and conditions) to multiply boss.
BINGO! Papa knows as well as i hope to soon that bacteria are very picky (microbiology) and although it would be amazing if you could do it, money to do so would out weigh what youre doing.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Lactobacillus Casei
Lactobacillus casei DN-114 001 Inhibits the Ability of Adherent-Invasive Escherichia coli Isolated from Crohn's Disease Patients To Adhere to and To Invade Intestinal Epithelial Cells

Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005 June; 71(6): 2880–2887.
doi: 10.1128/AEM.71.6.2880-2887.2005

MATERIALS AND METHODS
Bacterial strains and culture conditions. L. casei DN-114 001 was provided by Danone Vitapole (Paris, France). L. casei DN-114 001 was grown in De Man, Rogosa, and Sharpe (MRS) broth (Difco, Becton Dickinson, Meylan, France) at 37°C for 18 h. The culture was centrifuged (10,000 × g for 5 min at 4°C), and bacteria were suspended in cell culture medium. The final suspension was adjusted to obtain the appropriate concentration. The number of CFU was determined by plating serial 10-fold dilutions from bacterial suspensions on MRS agar plates. Plates were incubated at 37°C in a CO2 atmosphere for 48 h.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Growth of L. casei occurs at 15 but not 45oC, and requires riboflavin, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, and niacin growth factors (Kandler and Weiss, 1986)."
source: JGI Lactobacillus casei ATCC 334 Home

--------------------------------------------------------------

I have cultured gazillions of bacteria & spores back in my lab days. There are a variety of broths (liquid bacteria food) for a variety of strains of bacteria. You start with a purified amount and concentrations (which equates to a certain number of viable bacteria) which you need to purchase from a manufacturer. Why? The goal in lab is to culture a specific bacteria, not a hodgepodge of them. You use one pure form and the challenge is sterility and avoiding cross-contaimination.

Once you thaw your bugs out you transfer them (they're in liquid form) to a jar of sterile broth. Bacteria have a very predictable growth rate so depending on your starting number, you will know how many you have after X days of growth (incubated growth for many). You don't need (and won't know) and exact amount that's in your parent broth and that doesn't matter. With experiements, you have a control that you plate out, using dilutions because the count will be in the millions and humans can't count millions by hand. So, you use serial dilutions to work your way down from 10^6, 10^5, ......10^1.

Anyways, not that this is all that important, but there is logic to the maddness these researchers follow. I do not know how you attempted to grow your bugs Oz, but there are specific conditions that allow for reproduction.

---------------------------------------------------

How to Make Yogurt - wikiHow

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is a thread at Mind and Muscle about this very subject.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Just drop the caps in your yogurt and chew them up ;)