My peers are against Hallows Eve.....Bollocks!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I am a christian as you all know, But i just lost a point of respect for most of my comrades in my faith who are so against it they wont allow their kids to do it, or support people who do. Bollocks, its a tradition, I believe it is unethical and un-American to support something we have grown up enjoying for generations....

i am pissed enough with the fact that nowadays trick or treat is done in the daylight, when i was a kid it was from like 8pm to 11:30pm. it was dark, sary as hell, and people were running around trying to scare everyone else to death. Darn THE PANZIES!!!

Guh...reason I am typing this is my friend called and her husband who she married's family does not support trick or treat, and he is angry that she is going to her dads to help him pass out candy.

tsh......sry for the rant. Its just stupid. I know the reason behind it is because of all the darker things that some groups(vampers,cults) like to do on hallows eve. But good and evil is a natural yin and yang, if you fear it, then you are owned in portion by it. I cam from a darker past of being into those things, so hallows eve seems magical for me, possible another reason it angers me so.

Let the kds have fun, dang.

Also her lil brothers and sister who live in KY needed money for costumes, her husband wasnt going to allow her to get them any, but after talking it over with his mom(they live at his parents) and him, she was allowed to get them costumes that werent "scary or evil"......

its not justh is family, most of our church is like that.

I no longer wonder why my kind are labeled some ways......

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I am a christian as you all know, But i just lost a point of respect for most of my comrades in my faith who are so against it they wont allow their kids to do it, or support people who do. Bollocks, its a tradition, I believe it is unethical and un-American to support something we have grown up enjoying for generations....

i am pissed enough with the fact that nowadays trick or treat is done in the daylight, when i was a kid it was from like 8pm to 11:30pm. it was dark, sary as hell, and people were running around trying to scare everyone else to death. Darn THE PANZIES!!!

Guh...reason I am typing this is my friend called and her husband who she married's family does not support trick or treat, and he is angry that she is going to her dads to help him pass out candy.

tsh......sry for the rant. Its just stupid. I know the reason behind it is because of all the darker things that some groups(vampers,cults) like to do on hallows eve. But good and evil is a natural yin and yang, if you fear it, then you are owned in portion by it. I cam from a darker past of being into those things, so hallows eve seems magical for me, possible another reason it angers me so.

Also her lil brothers and sister who live in KY needed money for costumes, her husband wasnt going to allow her to get them any, but after talking it over with his mom(they live at his parents) and him, she was allowed to get them costumes that werent "scary or evil"......

My g/f's mom is EXACTLY like that...the 6 kids never got to experience Halloween...it's the DEVIL!! AHHHH. What a freak her mom is...really. One of those religious extremists.

So, this Halloween I'm bringing my girl out for her 1st time. She's NORMAL too, not a disciple of her mother. Should be fun!!!!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
thats terrible. i still remember the crazy guy dressed up like a pelican when i was a kid. i knocked on the door, said "trick or treat". he jumped out at us and said "trick!" and then bolted the door.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm definintely not for it, but I won't say no to my kids (if I had kids) if they want to go get some candy.

It's not something I decorate for, either.

If you know the true meaning behind it, it IS a really dark holiday. Lots of people around the world are doing things far beyond ringing doorbells for candy.

I sort of see it like non-Christians celebrating Christmas. What's the point?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I say live your life to its fullest, respect others for their choices as youd have them do unto you.

Its not of your concern to approve or disaprove of any others choices, and doing so is like volunteering your happiness to the whims and happeneings of your immediate world.

Be kind accepting, loving and peacefull in any and every situation that is the definition of acting like god IMO.

Go dont go, dont let it bother you, and dont burden yourself with the actions of others for you, are the only one you, can control.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It has a dark past, but it's also a fun tradition. I don't typically do anything special on halloween nowadays, but I have some fond memories of getting in costume when I was a kid.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I say live your life to its fullest, respect others for their choices as youd have them do unto you.

Its not of your concern to approve or disaprove of any others choices, and doing so is like volunteering your happiness to the whims and happeneings of your immediate world.

Be kind accepting, loving and peacefull in any and every situation that is the definition of acting like god IMO.

Go dont go, dont let it bother you, and dont burden yourself with the actions of others for you, are the only one you, can control.
This is how I feel, but if someone asks me my opinion, I don't lie just to avoid an argument.

What I believe is right, is what I believe, and I'm not going to back down from that. You don't have to agree with me, but if you do disagree, I'm still going to think you're wrong.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think people make Halloween out to be more than it really should be. I mean, you're letting your kids go out and get butt-loads of candy that they don't need. But I can see how dressing up can be really fun for everyone.

I'm not really into Halloween, and I didn't trick-or-treat very much as a little kid. I went maybe once with my family, but then they decided they didn't like the holiday much because of a lot of the evil crap that goes on. One year our cat disappeared on halloween night and never came back. It was black... I can only imagine what happened to it. After that my family would stay home with the animals, turn out the lights and watch movies.

I don't feel like I missed out on anything either.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've watched some in-depth stuff on the truth behind what the holiday is. I don't see how anyone can take it lightly after having seen some of it. What it is to the United States is NOTHING like what it is in certain parts of the world.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've watched some in-depth stuff on the truth behind what the holiday is. I don't see how anyone can take it lightly after having seen some of it. What it is to the United States is NOTHING like what it is in certain parts of the world.
I can imagine...

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
This is how I feel, but if someone asks me my opinion, I don't lie just to avoid an argument.

What I believe is right, is what I believe, and I'm not going to back down from that. You don't have to agree with me, but if you do disagree, I'm still going to think you're wrong.

Hahaha nice, i respect that. I was merely saying if i, or any other, felt the need to judge, be angry or annoyed with others for their ideas and traditions.... then be prepared to live a miserable life, or do the best you can with what youve got and let it pass on by as its not our job to judge.

Truth is beautiful and our definitions of our truths change somtimes even in a conversation possibly, lol. Never changing beliefs can be dangerous becasue sometimes its better to lose a discussion then it is to be right. There are many greater things in life that to be right, that is true. "belief is a beautiful honor and makes for the heaviest sword, like punching under water you never know just who your fighting for."

I will like you guys no matter what you celebrate or how you do it.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
It may be a night where alot of evil goes on, but Christmas was a pagan holiday that we Christians decided we would alter to make ours.

Evil is a part of our world, for anyone who has knowledge of the cults, necronos, vampers & *vampines*, shadow chasers, witches, demonology, believers of "the old ones", seekers of the mythical necronomicon, as well as many of the other mystical arts and dark things that happen know very well that 95% of it does not happen on hallows eve. its just a date where everyone acknowledges the existence of evil and it scares them.

When you actually know about evil, then its scary, hallows eve is nothing....head into the swamps on a full moon down in Louisiana or into the mountains in Haiti, then you can be scared and in terror of what evils exist.

maybe a visit to a couple of the dark sects running around in Russia and Germany?

the inner circle of Freemasons is actually pretty bad.

witches cauldrons are allowed to be actual organized buildings and committees in America...

and people are afraid of a bunch of kids dressed up for hallows eve might be a bad thing?

The main reason i am upset is because my friend HAS to adapt her husbands view, and her kids will never be able to trick or treat even though she wants them to, because the entire family is against it.....when hallows eve is not even on the real ritualistic date and changes for each county each year depending on weather.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
Ha! My church is hosting a young adult Haloween party! I'm going as Hugh Hefner, smoking jacket, pipe, silk shirt and all.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
Dressing up for fun, with candy, and whatnot, is one thing. "Celebrating" it as a dark holiday is another. It's always been a fun day for me, and so it shall be!!!

Some people take it WAY too seriously. I avoid those people.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just don't feel you should get upset at people who are simply watching out for their children. That's all it comes down to.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I just don't feel you should get upset at people who are simply watching out for their children. That's all it comes down to.

yes every year those evil witches and cultists put spells on our kids, and potions in the candy to turn them evil or poison them...

:lol::lol::lol:

the only issue i worry about is the weird men who stalk children for....intimacy... and if we took care of that properly(ahem....noose, rifle, baseball bat, whateva) like we should do, then they wouldn't even be an issue....

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Halloween is more than an american holiday. It's a conglomeration of several things, among which are keltic/pagan rituals and the door-to-door panhandling by the poor beggars (which the concept of trick-or-treating is believed to be loosely based upon).

I'm guessing your are a protestant christian. After Martin Luther begain this deviation from the church, protestants looked down upon Halloween because it was a pointless series of festivities the Catholics often took part in. Their main arguement is that by no means is Halloween a glorification of God. While I can't argue with that, i don't believe it is a glorification of the devil. To each their own.

Of course, when you're in college, Halloween seems to be more like "National Dress-Like-A-Hooker Day". While I don't really seem to mind provacatively dressed college-aged females, I can't help but wonder if they've lost every last shred of modesty or dignity. I'm rambling now, but it's a turn-on in that its hot to see them dressed like that, but a turn off in that I can't respect a girl dressed like that.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm suprised how you're reacting to a lot of these responses, Zero.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I'm suprised how you're reacting to a lot of these responses, Zero.
nnngg. well I am on 7 hours of sleep for 3 days and I have 2 more chapters to read and 25 impossible things to memorize for a midterm tommorow and 2 quizes to take, and a paper to write. ....all by noone tommorow...stimmed out. I will probably end up ingesting one last gram of caffeine between tonight and tomorrow. basically I am on the edge of clinical insanity. I will probably look over this stuff sunday and be like.....oh....i see... LOL

i duno why it just really bothers me because of how I have noticed alot of people at my church look at and label the secular world. I mean my friend is basically chained up when it comes to this, because she cant have the whole family look bad upon her. Like if you are at our church, and you drink, every one makes something of it and talks about. I agree trying to get people to better themselves(I dont drink myself, nor attend parties of the scantly sort, or go through a bunch of girlfriends, etc). its still a good family, just has the normal christian drawbacks. Wether or not you celebrate hallows eve will not change how holy you are in Gods eye, and who are you to tell someone else its wrong to support hallows eve. Not that its not something your into, but preach against it, label it, and say its downright wrong. That is my issue.

I see how we come about some of our downfalls, and labels...

But sometimes I look at my people and realize that in the history books 100 years from now, it probably wont talk the best about us. Every one is wrong for everything.....which is a lil pushy considering my own people are separated into about 20 denominations...which label each other too lol....

I mean, someone has now actually lost their choice in a matter, basically its not a choice they can make when they see nothing wrong with it. They have to give in to the majority.

I love being a christian, i can help so many people, and I have, and it is the only way in my beliefs. But you cannot tell me people are in the wrong by letting their kids express their imagination and have fun and get candy because of the origins of a days name, which like i said today is not on the origins date, and switches yearly.

Ritualistic dates have to be the same every single year.

duno, feel like ranting.

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm atheist and celebrate both Christmas and Halloween. Just fun traditions

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm atheist and celebrate both Christmas and Halloween. Just fun traditions
Do you ever ask yourself what the point is when celebrating Christmas? Like, what does it even mean if there is no reason for it? What is there to celebrate?

I don't mean that in any derogatory way, I'm just curious. I never understood why non-Christians celebrate Christmas. I don't celebrate Ramadan or Hannakuh.

It just has never made sense to me.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Do you ever ask yourself what the point is when celebrating Christmas? Like, what does it even mean if there is no reason for it? What is there to celebrate?

I don't mean that in any derogatory way, I'm just curious. I never understood why non-Christians celebrate Christmas. I don't celebrate Ramadan or Hannakuh.

It just has never made sense to me.
I celebrated it before I was Christian, then again i still knew God existed and knew the stories of what Christmas was about.... hmm.... it is an odd phenomenon

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most have no idea what Halloween is a celebration of. If and when you do, you kind of go ":think:" about the whole concept of encouraging our children to celebrate it the traditional way we have come to.

Halloween - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Samhain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Christian, and I even go ":think:" about the way our society celebrates Christmas.
Trends and traditions. Trends and traditions. A few people start doing something, a few people say "hey, that looks like fun" and do the same next year.

If you think Halloween and Christmas are messed up, in celebration of Jesus Christ's death, a bunny supposedly hides pastel-colored eggs and candy. Why? Some people made up some bogus stuff for kicks, and it caught on with the rest of society. Santa Claus's red suit is red (seriously) due to a Coca-Cola advertising campaign in the early 1900's.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Trends and traditions. Trends and traditions. A few people start doing something, a few people say "hey, that looks like fun" and do the same next year.

If you think Halloween and Christmas are messed up, in celebration of Jesus Christ's death, a bunny supposedly hides pastel-colored eggs and candy. Why? Some people made up some bogus stuff for kicks, and it caught on with the rest of society. Santa Claus's red suit is red (seriously) due to a Coca-Cola advertising campaign in the early 1900's.
SHUT UP SANTA IS REAL!!!!!!

Man I miss my delusional days of childhood where the illusion of fictional characters made like seem magical....

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Of course, when you're in college, Halloween seems to be more like "National Dress-Like-A-Hooker Day". While I don't really seem to mind provacatively dressed college-aged females, I can't help but wonder if they've lost every last shred of modesty or dignity. I'm rambling now, but it's a turn-on in that its hot to see them dressed like that, but a turn off in that I can't respect a girl dressed like that.
Yes, yes, yes, and I LOVE it :food:

Almost had a girl last night come back with me that was dressed as a firefighter. I asked a girl dressed as a mermaid if the bottom half of mermaids were anatomically correct for a girl. I told some girl dressed as a maid that the fanatasy is for the french maid to be hot.

Good times were had.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
SHUT UP SANTA IS REAL!!!!!!

Man I miss my delusional days of childhood where the illusion of fictional characters made like seem magical....
LOL.

If you ever want a 6-year old to hate you, tell them you killed santa. :D

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, yes, yes, and I LOVE it :food:

Almost had a girl last night come back with me that was dressed as a firefighter. I asked a girl dressed as a mermaid if the bottom half of mermaids were anatomically correct for a girl. I told some girl dressed as a maid that the fanatasy is for the french maid to be hot.

Good times were had.
Yes, last night was fun.

I found that its really awesome to ask girls what they are supposed to be, even though it should be blatantly obvious what they are. Although, what you said to that french maid is pretty funny, did her jaw drop when you said that?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I went out last night dressed as a pirate, now I did not wear a short skirt or have my belly showing. But I had fun. It is a great de-stressor to laugh at all the funny costumes and just go let loose for a day.

As for my kids and it being a ton of candy they don't need, they are good kids. They no how to limit themselves on junk food. and we will end up donating a ton of it to the schools for various reward programs. So they don't even eat it all. Its a chance for them to be kids..They have to grow up faster than we did. We could go out and play for hours and not worry as much about predators. They have scheduled days of karate and homework and our gym time.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I heard a bunch of people were dressing up as Joe The Plumber. I thought that was pretty funny.

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you think Halloween and Christmas are messed up, in celebration of Jesus Christ's death, a bunny supposedly hides pastel-colored eggs and candy.
In early Christianity, while the drug use was still in it, parents would have their little children go look for hallucinogenic mushrooms. If they brought some back they'd get a treat.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a celebration of his resurrection, not death.

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I cant recall where I heard if for sure. Maybe Jordan Maxwell or Peter Joseph.

As far as me being atheist and celebrating halloween and Christmas, I also go to superbowl parties and bars to watch playoffs and whatnot and I really dont give a sh!t about sports.
Just fun traditions and activities.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Yes, last night was fun.

I found that its really awesome to ask girls what they are supposed to be, even though it should be blatantly obvious what they are. Although, what you said to that french maid is pretty funny, did her jaw drop when you said that?
I don't think she took me seriously. I have a tendency to say whatever is on my mind without any sort of thought as to whether or not it's appropriate.

In all honesty though I went the path of least resistance. I went as a power lifter. Put on a titan shirt, knee wraps and weight belt and I was good to get into costume parties.

It was either that, or go as kratos. It was a wee bit too cold to go running around shirtless.

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
We can learn so much about things by looking at the past.

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
I'm definintely not for it, but I won't say no to my kids (if I had kids) if they want to go get some candy.

It's not something I decorate for, either.

If you know the true meaning behind it, it IS a really dark holiday. Lots of people around the world are doing things far beyond ringing doorbells for candy.

I sort of see it like non-Christians celebrating Christmas. What's the point?

I agree. It shows too that Christians are "compromisers" by adopting paganism and calling it christian. Also see: Jeremiah 10

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
Really, Halloween is all about the candy. If you have a kid like myself, why not just get the candy Nov. 1st when it's 50% off. Your kid won't miss out on a thing. :thumbsup:

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
when hallows eve is not even on the real ritualistic date and changes for each county each year depending on weather.
In the pagan world, Halloween is really a 3 day event, from the 29th-31st.

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree. It shows too that Christians are "compromisers" by adopting paganism and calling it christian.
Christianity is just evolved paganism. Nothing was "adopted."
Things have been shed, like the drug use and homosexuality, but nothing pagan was "adopted," as Christianity is more like a tangent of paganism.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Christianity is just evolved paganism. Nothing was "adopted."
Things have been shed, like the drug use and homosexuality, but nothing pagan was "adopted," as Christianity is more like a tangent of paganism.
Drug use and homosexuality? Dude, what the hell are you talking about? You are completely wrong on that. Christianity developed from Judaism, first off. Drug use has never been an advocated part of Christianity; I don't doubt some groups used it, but that doesn't mean it's part of the religion, and the same goes for homosexuality.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Those are theories put forth by a couple of academics. It is possible that a form of cannabis was used in the Old Testament for anointing oil and incense. The mushroom idea comes from the etymology of a couple of hebrew words if I remember right, and the homosexuality is the extrapolation of some scriptures such as "the disciple whome Jesus loved" or "the feasts of love" referenced in the Gospels. Doesn't make em true, and I am unconvinced generally, but they are still interesting.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've never thought of cannabis as a bad drug. If it wasn't illegal in the States, I'd have absolutely no moral issues with it, unless it took over one's life, but anything that does that isn't good.