sedimentary job and keep muscle

DEADn

DEADn

Awards
I have a new job which came somewhat by force. It is primarily a data entry thing and so I don't get much exercises at all. I went from eating 2 rubber maid containers of ground turkey and kidney beans as well as what the cafeteria has to eating mixed nuts and 1 container of ground turkey and kidney beans on a 10 hour day. So my calories are down significantly. I do not want to get fat but keep calories high but I also don't want to un do my strength gains either.

Anyone got ideas on what I could do nutritional to keep myself going without growing a tire around the waist?

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
i personally have had decent results from keeping my carb intake around my workout, before and after, and eating a lot of protein/moderate fat in my other meals. if you get up early enough you could also do AM cardio, I have personally had my best results from doing AM cardio on an empty stomach; however, I have a bad habit of waking up at the last possible minute before I have to be at work/class. Also, I believe the word you are looking for is sedentary, unless you are doing something related to rocks

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
take some string cheese with you maybe?

DEADn

DEADn

Awards
My work hours are 4:30am to about 2:30pm if I don't clock out for lunch. Usually I just leave the desk for a break until lunch time and use that for me break.

I wake up about 3:30am which gives me enough time to get dressed and get something to eat before I am out the door about 4am.

Maybe I am ok with my nutrition. I don't eat as much as I used to simply because I am not as active as I used to be, on the job that is.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My work hours are 4:30am to about 2:30pm if I don't clock out for lunch. Usually I just leave the desk for a break until lunch time and use that for me break.

I wake up about 3:30am which gives me enough time to get dressed and get something to eat before I am out the door about 4am.

Maybe I am ok with my nutrition. I don't eat as much as I used to simply because I am not as active as I used to be, on the job that is.
Dude, outside of the gym and occasional outdoor activities if I have the time, I don't do crap.

It's all in the carbohydrate consumption. Just focus your carbs around your workouts, and keep them low outside of that. You shouldn't have any problem at all.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone else think that working with rocks is a pretty labor intensive job? :)

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bahaha.

Confusion was the sole reason I opened this thread.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sedimentary job? you work with rocks? or do you mean "sedentary" job?

Also, that's pretty much perfect for muscle gain as long as your workouts are 100% max effort and intensity and your nutrition is good.

DEADn

DEADn

Awards
The reason I started this post is because to get big you have to eat big. That can be fat and muscle. But when it comes to weightlifting I suppose that if I do not get much exercises around the work area then calories probably don't matter much so long as there aren't too many carbs in there especially simple ones.

Funny thing, a couple of the people I work with say they are getting fat and are having a hard time bending over tying their shoes while My body and weight are fairly stable so that is a good thing.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Premix protein shakes into 500ml Water bottles and bring a soft-sided cooler with gelpack to work. Takes 4 seconds to chug down 40-50g of protein.

Also, As crappy as they sound, Mrs. Freshleys makes a high fiber, low sugar yogurt-creme oatmeal pie that will give you some carbs during the day and is also portable and quickly eaten.

The new Detour Oatmeal protein bars are pretty decent looking in a pinch as well....440 calories, 7g fat, 63carb (8 fiber, 12 sugar) and 30g protein.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i am a VPX Zero impact bar addict. Great numbers and GREAT ingredient profile.

You say you dont take a lunch break, ever consider a quick HITT session during your break?

DEADn

DEADn

Awards
You say you dont take a lunch break, ever consider a quick HITT session during your break?

That is definately out of the question for the HITT session. I have to be slightly dressed up for work M-TH. Khakis and a dress shirt. I can see myself doing a quick hit and coming back all sweating yuck.

One of the things I am doing is eating mixed nuts throughout the day. Having 2 chicken patties together in a sandwich at 3:30am and ocasionally have a banana. So far my weight has maintained which really isnt a big deal for me. I am more concerned about muscle and muscle strength and mass. I also need to get more cardiovascular in there as well. I went running recently and I couldnt run as far as I normally could without stopping. I did 3 blocks and stopped and then did another 3 blocks. After that I started getting better.

DEADn