gym pet peeves

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I know we all have stuff that irritates the hell out us at the gym. I know I have a few, so let me start. Folks sitting on the bench talking on cell phone.

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hunting for weights in Golds while the five front desk kids who are supposed to keep the gym tidy sit on their ass.

Loose/brokenish weights that you're afraid are gonna fall apart onto your face while lifting them overhead. ....and bent handles.

People that give fat people a hard time at the gym. I'll wanna kill 'em. Give those poor people a break. They are there trying to change. Everyone has to start somewhere.

People who talk loud to make sure everyone knows how much weight they just lifted and for how many reps.

Those who offer unsolicited advice who dont know what they're talking about.

Nasty ass people who sit on the locker room benches naked. Yeah, you're ass hole is touching the bench.

And those who shave at the gym

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
flexing in the mirror after every set

people who only work upper body

people who dont squat correctly

skinny guys wearing tight under armor shirts

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
I saw a bloke the other day with a complete newbie tellnig him a bunch of BS. I was praying this guy didnt listen to a word he said, it really was bad advice.....about two weeks later i saw this "guru" walking around the gym with a Personal Trainer shirt on. I couldnt beleive he actually worked there and had some form of training.

ps.....there are quite a few funny threads about 10 pages deep about this topic...

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
People who ***** and whine about other people 'hogging space/machines/weights etc'.

i'm a complete newbie in the gym having always worked out at home before. And now i'm super conscious about gym etiquete. "what should i do if....", "Is he waiting?" are the sort of things running through my head all the time.

If you have a problem with me, if i'm using the weights you want to use, if i'm 'hogging' a piece of equipment (ie i use the leg curl machine and as the gym is always quiet when i go, i just sit on the machine in-between sets) PLEASE come up to me and tell me! Ask me if you can use it! I'm not gonna say "no, go f*ck yourself!" Dont just stand there and judge and then ***** to your mates when you leave.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
People on cell phones....I use my cell phone as much as anyone else, as a matter of fact I dont even have a landline, but cmon.....

holy

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
i dont really pay much attention to everyone else

My pet peeve is curls in the squat rack. Especially when i want to do squats or deads in there.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Curls in the squat rack don't bug me as long as they are doing a weight which they couldn't do with the preloaded bars. Curls with only the bar in the squat rack do bother me.

People that don't understand the concept of letting people work in with them.

people who are too lazy to re-rack their weights. If you're not strong enough to put it back....don't lift it!

people who drop weights on the ground. ie. dumbells. Once again...if you can't control it to put it down....don't lift it!!

raider1

raider1

Awards
people who just assume your big and in shape that you are juicing... WTF.. I don't come to you and say geez.. your skiiny ,have a big gut.. you must be one lazy lardass piece of crap.. yep, any big guy in the gym is labeled a * juicer*

Gordothespace

Gordothespace

Awards
People who walk around from station to station, in no particular order for their "workout".

People who NEVER use full range of motion. I understand the concept of partial reps but I am talking about the guy who who loads up the bar with more weight than he needs and then only lowers it three inches.

People who do not wipe off the equipment when they are donw.

JAGShaw

JAGShaw

Awards
people who drop weights on the ground. ie. dumbbells. Once again...if you can't control it to put it down....don't lift it!!
This is actually a double edged sword. I do 1-arm rows with a substantial weight and occasionally can't get the last rep. So I drop it. The floors are padded for a reason.
However, if you're talking about the a-holes who drop them for attention, so everyone looks at them and their "big" weight, That's definitely a big one for me.

Also, don't forget about...

The double-edged sword with unsolicited advice: Sometimes I feel like I have to help someone so they don't snap a ligament, or rupture something, but beyond that, I leave everyone alone.

--Gyms that play techno or easy listening. This isn't the goddamn Lifetime network. Grow a pair and play some real f-ing music. (statistics show that METAL played while working out increases testosterone levels)

--People who throw down a bunch of history lessons about how strong they used to be after you spot them...sorry dude, if you aren't that strong now, I don't give a sh!t. I'm not going to think you're cooler than me because you benched 450lbs 20 years ago

--people who feel the need to converse with me in between sets (sorry buddy, I'm not paying a membership to bullsh!t with you. I have my headphones on for a reason)

--People who don't know how to spot properly. (This one guy was trying to lift the weight for me. I was pissed)

--People who piss and moan about grunting...If the weight calls for it, I'm gonna do it, and you can B!TCH all you want, but you might find your neck under the bar next time

AND NUMBER 1 ON MY LIST:

EGOS...Leave that crap at the door. Everyone is there for 1 reason, to improve themselves. Whether its physically or mentally, there are no reasons anyone should think they are better than anyone else. Everyone has a goal and is trying to achieve it. Who the hell is anyone to judge them and piss all over their goals?

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
YOu guys read my mind.. I just moved to an LA fitness about two months ago from a hole in the wall gym, I have a huge list..haha

People that try to put dibs on two machines/benches at once.

The people that stand there and try to chat you up... I have my head phones on leave me alone!

Tight shirts on girly shaped men...

People who swim alot and thier bags/ cloths smell like mildew

People who stair at you when your lifting

Duche bags that perv out on girls working out.. I like a nice ass as much as the next guy but leave her alone...haha

People who do extremly heavy weight and cant even do close to the full range of motion.Their spot winds up doing most the work..

The music that theyplay in there... No one wants to work out to britany spears.. My ipod diedonce and i had to go home...haha

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A couple of mine have already been listed...

People who don't understand the concept of "working in" with you on a machine. I can't even begin to think how many times I've asked if I can work in and they will say, "Man, I only have two sets left. Can you wait?" - I have never refused equipment to someone.

Dudes way past their prime that still think they're in their prime.

Dudes hitting on chicks with headphones on. If you have to poke a girl on the shoulder to get her attention, don't even bother. - That goes for me too! I don't want to talk.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
The guy who is lifting his whole a$$ and lower back off the bench when benching and thinks he is "really" doing something......uh yeah, its called bench press not a$$ press.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah, this happened to me one time...... guy comes and ask me to spot him. I didn't mind spotting him, but I needed someone to spot me from that 2000lbs of bad breath and body odor that fell on me from him. Oh, what about the guy who is spotting you while benching, and just about puts his whole nut sack over your face.......maaaaan get that sh!+ outta here.

LilJeremy

LilJeremy

Banned
Awards
Guys that want to chit chat with you even when you have your Ipod rocking!!!!:aargh:

Cell phones in between sets!!!

Someone being extremely loud while using extremely light weight and that same person is usually the one that develops the invisible lats after pulldowns.

This ties into #1, I am doing a set and the guy next to me stares and waits for me to finish and tries to stur up a convo. I don't know you man!!!!!!!!

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
The guy who is lifting his whole a$$ and lower back off the bench when benching and thinks he is "really" doing something......uh yeah, its called bench press not a$$ press.
I had my induction at my new today and the trainer there who was showing me the equipment told me that lifting your ass and back off the bench was "the powerlifting style" and "the best way to get pure strength gains". But that it was dangerous if you didnt know what you were doing as it could give you back injuries.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
People who steal my weights piss me off. I'm standing right there...chalk on my hands, chalk on the bar, obviously getting ready to do a set, and some douche bag strips one of the weights off of one side of the bar to use for his own. WTF?!?!? I'm right here...do you not see me?

Um...I'm using that!!!
"oh, sorry...do you want it back?"
**** YES I WANT IT BACK RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

That and trying to do complimentary sets on two machines and somebody always wants to strip the weights off of the machine I'm not on right that second...even though I'm the only one in the room...and the only guy there big enough to move the amount of weight on it, and there are plenty of weights on the rack.

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Time out, I got one to beat them all.

When men butt fu(k in the steam room! lol
I walked in on such a scene at Treehouse athletic club. Yikes.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Time out, I got one to beat them all.

When men butt fu(k in the steam room! lol
I walked in on such a scene at Treehouse athletic club. Yikes.
:toofunny:

What I hate to see is those old men that like to walk around naked. Some like to bend right in front of you........too much raisen a$$ and balls for me to see.......oh my eye, I need therapy now

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What I hate to see is those old men that like to walk around naked. Some like to bend right in front of you........too much raisen a$$ and balls for me to see.......oh my eye, I need therapy now
Just because their wives dont want to see them naked doesnt mean we should have to

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Ok here goes, it must have been my lucky day (or maybe not) at the gym. Mind you, all this happened today.
1. guy on the elipter machine the entire time while on cell phone.
2. guy comes to workout in flip flops and socks with ashy legs
3. guys comes to workout in his dress clothes and still kept his work badge on. Guess he wanted folks to know where he worked.
True story... that is what I saw, and I am sticking to it.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Mine has been listed as well, Talking to me with my headphones on my head!!!! I mean come on......

My other one is when I do legs at the gym, stupid asses who stand there, watch me stack the leg press and say stupidly.."You cant lift that".. and I do :)

JAGShaw

JAGShaw

Awards
Someone being extremely loud while using extremely light weight and that same person is usually the one that develops the invisible lats after pulldowns.

HA!!!!....ILS: Imaginary Lat Syndrome

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
we had this sick chick at one time come only to do cadio and she would coat the stationary bike with scubbing bubbles then pull a roll of paper towels from her bag and wipe it down before she would get on it ----- for only 10 minutes! the ammonia fumes would knock you out if you were running on the treadmill near her.

southernxgun

southernxgun

Awards
I work out at the Y so I get the 90 year old people that will jack your equipment, strip off the weight, and not let it go as soon as you finish a set and step back to catch your breath. Im glad they're doin somethin, but at least let me work back in and dont ignore me when i ask lol. Also get the lil kids, like 8-12, that will do the same damn thing, but hang on the sh!t like its a jungle gym.

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Theres these 2 guys at my new gym that look like they'll be good for a bit of comic relief.

Both guys have huge beer bellies and dont touch any of the free weights. They come in, decide on which machines "ok well do that, that that, that.... then we'll have done 7 things, thats cool yeah?"

Then they set about pushing out reps at a blinding pace, a good 3 a second. At the same time reaking of BO and not wiping down the machines after they use them.

txsurfer

Awards
Hunting for weights in Golds while the five front desk kids who are supposed to keep the gym tidy sit on their ass.

Loose/brokenish weights that you're afraid are gonna fall apart onto your face while lifting them overhead. ....and bent handles.
sounds like college station golds

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Not a peeve but funny never the less.... same guy in prior post with the flip flops comes in today, so damn ashy, I could have wrote my name on the side of his leg. Oh and no socks... toes look like he uses them to dig fench holes. Long toe nails, put holes in blankets.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Not a peeve but funny never the less.... same guy in prior post with the flip flops comes in today, so damn ashy, I could have wrote my name on the side of his leg. Oh and no socks... toes look like he uses them to dig fench holes. Long toe nails, put holes in blankets.

that's just gross!!!!!