FRL Research Review - Cordyceps Militaris

1. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.81%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Lightbulb FRL Research Review - Cordyceps Militaris

To bodybuilders "testosterone is king". And we are always looking for ways to increase it, particularly natural ways to increase testosterone production after using prohormones or designer steroids (PCT - post cycle therapy). What you tend to find is a lot of in vitro research on cell lines that are completely impractical once applied to a healthy human male. Or if there is some in vivo research it's done in some rarely cited, obscure Indian ayurvedic journal. In other words it's rarely reliable. Still, it gets us all excited that the next natural trenbolone is just around the corner (we all wish!).

In 2008 an interesting study from researchers in Taiwan was published. Now again this study wasn't exactly published in a prestigious journal. It was again another "alternative medicine" journal known as The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. Still the significance of this study remains for one fact. It is the only study on in vivo oral cordyceps militaris supplementation and it's effects on hormonal parameters. In the supplement industry we often have to rely on research such as this particularly when it comes to increasing testosterone. Most research is actually looking for ways to inhibit testosterone (or the effects of testosterone related to prostate cancer). Heavily funded University's and researchers are given dollars to find way to treat disease. Not make us muscle bound freaks.

So what did the Taiwan researchers find?
    1. No impact on LH
    2. No impact on FSH
    3. No impact on prolactin
    4. Significant increases in estradiol
    5. Significant increases in testosterone
    6. Improved sperm count (lasting two weeks after supplementation)
    What was odd is that they found fairly quick increases in estrogen in the first two weeks, while testosterone increased more slowly (and a bit sporadically) until reaching levels of significance in week 6, 7, & 8 (supplementation stopped at week 6). Take a look:

In the study rats were fed cordyceps militaris as a percentage of their diet, either 1% or 5%. The 5% diet seemed to elevate estrogen rapidly. Something we may or may not want in the initial weeks of PCT depending upon our testosterone levels. Still there were no significant increases in estrogen in the 1% diet. Testosterone levels between the two different diets varied, but still increased throughout the 8 week testing period. So how do we translate a dose from a percentage of diet? The easiest quick and dirty method would be to take it as a percentage of the human diet. For example a 2000 cal diet assuming Protein/Carb/Fat at 40/30/30 would total about 4 grams at the 1% diet, and 20 grams at the 5% diet.

Considering the small variances between the two diets, 4 grams should be an optimal dose for a healthy male. This could vary quite a bit so use it as a general guideline. Also keep in mind there is other research that exists in relatiion to the benefits of cordyceps on testosterone and even athletic performance. Overall it seems to be a worthy add to your next PCT, or natural testosterone boosting cycle. In the mean time, ForeRunner Labs will continue to keep an eye on this potentially powerful supplement.

-FRL

References:

1. Effect of Cordyceps militaris supplementation on sperm production, sperm motility and hormones in Sprague-Dawley rats. Chang Y, Jeng KC, Huang KF, Lee YC, Hou CW, Chen KH, Cheng FY, Liao JW, Chen YS. Miaoli, Taiwan. : Am J Chin Med., 2008, Vols. 36(5):849-59.

ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.88%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post

To bodybuilders "testosterone is king". And we are always looking for ways to increase it, particularly natural ways to increase testosterone production after using prohormones or designer steroids (PCT - post cycle therapy). What you tend to find is a lot of in vitro research on cell lines that are completely impractical once applied to a healthy human male. Or if there is some in vivo research it's done in some rarely cited, obscure Indian ayurvedic journal. In other words it's rarely reliable. Still, it gets us all excited that the next natural trenbolone is just around the corner (we all wish!).

In 2008 an interesting study from researchers in Taiwan was published. Now again this study wasn't exactly published in a prestigious journal. It was again another "alternative medicine" journal known as The American Journal of Chinese Medicine. Still the significance of this study remains for one fact. It is the only study on in vivo oral cordyceps militaris supplementation and it's effects on hormonal parameters. In the supplement industry we often have to rely on research such as this particularly when it comes to increasing testosterone. Most research is actually looking for ways to inhibit testosterone (or the effects of testosterone related to prostate cancer). Heavily funded University's and researchers are given dollars to find way to treat disease. Not make us muscle bound freaks.

So what did the Taiwan researchers find?

1. No impact on LH
    2. No impact on FSH
    3. No impact on prolactin
    4. Significant increases in estradiol
    5. Significant increases in testosterone
    6. Improved sperm count (lasting two weeks after supplementation)

What was odd is that they found fairly quick increases in estrogen in the first two weeks, while testosterone increased more slowly (and a bit sporadically) until reaching levels of significance in week 6, 7, & 8 (supplementation stopped at week 6). Take a look:

In the study rats were fed cordyceps militaris as a percentage of their diet, either 1% or 5%. The 5% diet seemed to elevate estrogen rapidly. Something we may or may not want in the initial weeks of PCT depending upon our testosterone levels. Still there were no significant increases in estrogen in the 1% diet. Testosterone levels between the two different diets varied, but still increased throughout the 8 week testing period. So how do we translate a dose from a percentage of diet? The easiest quick and dirty method would be to take it as a percentage of the human diet. For example a 2000 cal diet assuming Protein/Carb/Fat at 40/30/30 would total about 4 grams at the 1% diet, and 20 grams at the 5% diet.

Considering the small variances between the two diets, 4 grams should be an optimal dose for a healthy male. This could vary quite a bit so use it as a general guideline. Also keep in mind there is other research that exists in relatiion to the benefits of cordyceps on testosterone and even athletic performance. Overall it seems to be a worthy add to your next PCT, or natural testosterone boosting cycle. In the mean time, ForeRunner Labs will continue to keep an eye on this potentially powerful supplement.

-FRL

References:

1. Effect of Cordyceps militaris supplementation on sperm production, sperm motility and hormones in Sprague-Dawley rats. Chang Y, Jeng KC, Huang KF, Lee YC, Hou CW, Chen KH, Cheng FY, Liao JW, Chen YS. Miaoli, Taiwan. : Am J Chin Med., 2008, Vols. 36(5):849-59.

WOW..this is solid read..Thanks Bossman
    Advanced Muscle Science/ForeRunner Labs (East Coast Sales Manager)
    "The Strongest On The Market"
  3. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Yet another reason to take cordyceps.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

•   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

From the graphs it looks like even the 1% CM would spike E2 from ~30pg/ml to ~50pg/ml (67% increase)? Why do you say it's not significant?

The test levels went from ~575pg/ml to ~725pg/ml (~26% increase), so it wasn't THAT significant compared to the E2.

Perhaps if paired with a good AI, it might provide a more favorable balance boosting test and keeping E2 levels lower. I'd still be cautious using this in PCT since it seems to through both E2 and Test off homeostasis.

Am I reading things wrong? I'll have to read the full article when I get some time, interesting to say the least, but a tricky one for sure!

BTW, does this have other ergogenic benefits? I always thought Cordyceps were more for endurance and aerobic exercise?
    NeedToBuildMuscle Representative / PowerChews Representative
    AgeForce Representative - www.ageforce.com for hGH Patches!
    Send me a PM with any questions about products & discount codes
  5. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.81%

Quote Originally Posted by Milas View Post
    From the graphs it looks like even the 1% CM would spike E2 from ~30pg/ml to ~50pg/ml (67% increase)? Why do you say it's not significant?

The test levels went from ~575pg/ml to ~725pg/ml (~26% increase), so it wasn't THAT significant compared to the E2.

Perhaps if paired with a good AI, it might provide a more favorable balance boosting test and keeping E2 levels lower. I'd still be cautious using this in PCT since it seems to through both E2 and Test off homeostasis.

Am I reading things wrong? I'll have to read the full article when I get some time, interesting to say the least, but a tricky one for sure!

BTW, does this have other ergogenic benefits? I always thought Cordyceps were more for endurance and aerobic exercise?
    Good eye.

They don't consider the spike statistically significant. I'm wondering if they calculated AUC and there was no significant difference, however as usual it was not included in the full text.

Still the initial spike in E2 isn't necessarily bad in pct. Particularly with an ai or serm. It's a good question though, but they just do not mention it unfortunately.

There are other studies on cordyceps militaris and testosterone out there, but most are on the potential ergogenic effects.

This will be one of many research reviews on cordyceps most likely.
    ForeRunner Labs

6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.88%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Good eye.

They don't consider the spike statistically significant. I'm wondering if they calculated AUC and there was no significant difference, however as usual it was not included in the full text.

Still the initial spike in E2 isn't necessarily bad in pct. Particularly with an ai or serm. It's a good question though, but they just do not mention it unfortunately.

There are other studies on cordyceps militaris and testosterone out there, but most are on the potential ergogenic effects.

Royd..when you have time bro..check out the questions on Facebook fan page later tonight
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Good eye.

If it's not statistically significant, then it must've ranged over the various participants. If that's the case, their graph is misleading since their standard deviations don't overlap with the control group for weeks 1-3.

Yeah, if you're taking it with a SERM or AI, it would probably help keep estrogen levels in check.

The other (more novel) way you could look at it is start taking it when you start your cycle, and by the time you come off you'll be entering the peak Testosterone boosting weeks, and the increased estrogen weeks 1-3 won't matter as much (may want an AI still). It could be a on/post cycle support for Test, might be best paired with a dry PH/DS like Epi or Hdrol. Kinda disappointing though that it doesn't do anything for FSH or LH, I wonder what the MOA is...
    NeedToBuildMuscle Representative / PowerChews Representative
    AgeForce Representative - www.ageforce.com for hGH Patches!
    Send me a PM with any questions about products & discount codes
  8. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.81%

Quote Originally Posted by Milas View Post
    If it's not statistically significant, then it must've ranged over the various participants. If that's the case, their graph is misleading since their standard deviations don't overlap with the control group for weeks 1-3.

Yeah, if you're taking it with a SERM or AI, it would probably help keep estrogen levels in check.

The other (more novel) way you could look at it is start taking it when you start your cycle, and by the time you come off you'll be entering the peak Testosterone boosting weeks, and the increased estrogen weeks 1-3 won't matter as much (may want an AI still). It could be a on/post cycle support for Test, might be best paired with a dry PH/DS like Epi or Hdrol. Kinda disappointing though that it doesn't do anything for FSH or LH, I wonder what the MOA is...
    There are some old threads on m and m discussing its use as an hcg replacement. It's been a while since I've read them.
    ForeRunner Labs

9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.51%

Is this going to be in your test booster or pre workout?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  10. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.81%

Quote Originally Posted by fightbackhxc View Post
    Is this going to be in your test booster or pre workout?
    Probably not in either actually. We certainly looked at it. There is a lot of bad quality militaris out there. And the good stuff comes at a premium.
    ForeRunner Labs

11. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

great discussion here fellas.nice work on the write up here as well
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.88%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mich29 View Post
    great discussion here fellas.nice work on the write up here as well
    Thanks everyone
  13. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

so, to me, it looks like this compound increases estrogen, and in by doing so, the body increases testosterone in an attempt to balance this out. and does not seem to increase testosterone directly.

i draw this from the rise in estrogen, and no change in lh, fsh.

so, with this, I could see the product being used along side a serm, for the 4 weeks in an attempt to have the body try to over compensate d/t increase in estrogen.

the serm would for the most part block the receptor preventing most of the estrogen from interacting with it's receptor.

the problem i see is the excess estrogen post serm. but i would guess this would be where a low dosed ai starting week 3-4 of serm may come into play?
  14. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.81%

Quote Originally Posted by jbryand101b View Post
    so, to me, it looks like this compound increases estrogen, and in by doing so, the body increases testosterone in an attempt to balance this out. and does not seem to increase testosterone directly.

i draw this from the rise in estrogen, and no change in lh, fsh.

so, with this, I could see the product being used along side a serm, for the 4 weeks in an attempt to have the body try to over compensate d/t increase in estrogen.

the serm would for the most part block the receptor preventing most of the estrogen from interacting with it's receptor.

the problem i see is the excess estrogen post serm. but i would guess this would be where a low dosed ai starting week 3-4 of serm may come into play?
    Yeah all good thoughts. And I would tend to agree with that protocol until there is more reliable research.
    ForeRunner Labs

Similar Forum Threads

1. anabolic review research
    By CreativeLogic in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 09:33 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 11:17 PM