How important is weighing yourself for measuring weight loss?

1. Registered User
    Answers

Courtesy of realwomensfitness

It seems that when we measure our weight loss the only device we use is the scales. However, I don’t believe weighing yourself is the best option to judge whether you are making progress.
    How important is weighing yourself for measuring weight loss progress?

Sure the scales will tell you whether you have gained or lost weight but will they tell you whether that weight is fat? The scales are misleading becaue quite often our weight loss/gain is water and therefore whatever the scales read is misleading.

For example, if you weigh yourself first thing in the morning you are going to get a different score than if you weighed yourself after a meal. Or, if you weigh yourself before a run you will weigh more than after the run because when you run you lose a whole lot of sweat.

It is for these reasons that I get a little frazzled when I see women weighing themselves and then getting shocked and upset.

There is a better way.

So how should I measure my weight loss?

If you do want to use the scales you should make sure you weigh yourself at the same time everyday. The best idea is to do it first thing in the morning before you go to the toilet and before you have your breakfast.

However, a better way to measure your weight loss is to use a tape measure. Measure your waist, legs, arms, etc. every couple of weeks and see whether they are getting smaller or bigger. Again, however, this can be misleading as you might have gained some muscle which will make the readings bigger.
    So what is the best way?

I personally think the best way to see whether you have lost weight is to look in the mirror. Before and after photos are a great way of making comparisions and they force you to face facts about whether you are losing or gaining weight. Some women will think they have lost weight when they probably haven’t. Photos force you to face facts.

Conclusion
    Don’t get upset if the scales tell you you have put on weight. It could be the sandwhich you had at lunch. Hell, a footlong from Subway probably weighs a kilo!

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Answers

I don't usually go by the scales either. You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, so the weight on the scales go up!

Then you have water weight at that lovely time of the month and weight goes up temporarily.

The mirror is the best indicator of weight loss, that and a good old fashion tape measure.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

it often takes too long for me to see "mirror" changes, so I use the scale as a guide. If I have been exercising more intensely I can understand why it might not fall as quick.

I know something is better though, because I am a smaller pants size than I was in high school even though I am 25 lbs heavier.

I also know that I still can lose more weight, even with adding muscle, because I have enough to lose. So I still expect the number to drop even if it takes a while.

But I agree with the overall message. Its kind of like BMI. It doesnt take into account body composition.
    •   

4. BMCLouzee

I do picture logs and body fat percentages. I've done the weight scale thing, but I seldom get the numbers I want.

Similar Forum Threads

1. How important is a cortisol blocker for PCT?
    By Lithuanian Bear in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-26-2008, 04:31 PM
  2. Sleep... Just how important is it?
    By dunimous in forum General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 02:50 PM
  3. How important is HCG for PCT????
    By hognose in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 04:59 PM
  4. How necessary is BA/BB for Olive Oil/m14add mix?
    By PastorofMuppets in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 01:38 PM
  5. How important is flexing?
    By Irongame in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 09:08 PM