Heart Rate Monitor & Calorie Intake

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Heart Rate Monitor & Calorie Intake


    Per IIFYM calculator my TDEE is 1952 and BMR is 1418. I always wear my heart rate monitor during my training or cardio.

    Should I be eating 1500 calories each day even if I burn more on a certain day for exercise and vice versa eat less on days off? I am currently try to cut body fat.

    STATS: 26 year old female, 5'7'' @ 140 lbs.

  2. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    I'm sure some others here can weigh in with better insight than myself, but I know most people typically recommend getting as many cals in as possible while still being able to lose fat. So if you're expending 1950 cals, you can certainly go with 1700 instead of 1500 that day and be in a deficit.

    Right or wrong, I also tend to set myself up for different days and often eat less on days when I burn more (e.g. I burn 4,500 cals on Sunday playing basketball and only 2,800 on an off day -- I eat 2,500 cals on Sunday, but 3,000 on the off day Monday; I still net 1,800 cals under between the two days). But again, others can tell you what works well for them and hopefully some of the female members will chime in on this, too.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    I'm sure some others here can weigh in with better insight than myself, but I know most people typically recommend getting as many cals in as possible while still being able to lose fat. So if you're expending 1950 cals, you can certainly go with 1700 instead of 1500 that day and be in a deficit.

    Right or wrong, I also tend to set myself up for different days and often eat less on days when I burn more (e.g. I burn 4,500 cals on Sunday playing basketball and only 2,800 on an off day -- I eat 2,500 cals on Sunday, but 3,000 on the off day Monday; I still net 1,800 cals under between the two days). But again, others can tell you what works well for them and hopefully some of the female members will chime in on this, too.
    Do you use a heart rate monitor for these activities? Can I rely on the heart rate monitor?

    I try to look at the total calorie in vs out for the WEEK also. From July 11th till today I have lost 3-4 lbs (using scale) and not sure if that is enough or should I be taking my calories lower, this I have been doing 1700 calories give or take 100 calories less or more on each day.

    So was wondering if I should do closer to 1500 - 1600 calories daily. Currently carb cycling 2 low, 1 high rotation.
  4. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    I use my Fitbit Charge HR. So I don't do the chest strap HR, which I know is more accurate, but this is enough for me that I feel like it's beneficial.

    As far as weight lost, I'd say your progress is average and good (about 1 pound per week). It probably also depends on your bf% and how much you need to lose, but that rate is optimal. I'm a horrible person and always want more/faster, so that's why I think more reasonable individuals here can help out, too lol. But if you're already in pretty good condition, I wouldn't rush that progress and would always advise against lowering cals further if there's ever any way of keeping them up and still making progress (which it sounds like you are).
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve

  5. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    I use my Fitbit Charge HR. So I don't do the chest strap HR, which I know is more accurate, but this is enough for me that I feel like it's beneficial.

    As far as weight lost, I'd say your progress is average and good (about 1 pound per week). It probably also depends on your bf% and how much you need to lose, but that rate is optimal. I'm a horrible person and always want more/faster, so that's why I think more reasonable individuals here can help out, too lol. But if you're already in pretty good condition, I wouldn't rush that progress and would always advise against lowering cals further if there's ever any way of keeping them up and still making progress (which it sounds like you are).
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR too!!! I average 15000 steps daily and I always eat less than what is says as "calories burned" I have 1 month until my Florida vacation and wanted to lose this little bit of FAT. My scale says 23% body fat currently. Do you think dipping lower in calories for the next few weeks to lose FAT faster and then start to rise to maintenance would be OK? OR do I incorporate more cardio?
    •   
       

  6. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by kjkitzman View Post
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR too!!! I average 15000 steps daily and I always eat less than what is says as "calories burned" I have 1 month until my Florida vacation and wanted to lose this little bit of FAT. My scale says 23% body fat currently. Do you think dipping lower in calories for the next few weeks to lose FAT faster and then start to rise to maintenance would be OK? OR do I incorporate more cardio?
    For starters, 23% as a female isn't a bad place to be at all -- and I also don't trust those ratings for the life of me. I know I carried extra fat elsewhere, but I still had visible abs and one of those things was telling me I was 30+% bf...lol

    So I switched back to an old school scale that just gives me the weight and nothing else.

    If you're logging 15k steps/day, that's insane. I generally get around 12,000 or so on gym days, but I also don't think it's calibrated exactly right (particularly because I get "less steps" when running because of bigger strides, so whatever lol). I mean, you could dip down a bit in the short term, but if it were me, I would maybe calorie cycle (so drop down a bit lower on a day and then make sure to stay where you were or even slightly bump up another day) and add in an extra couple cardio HIIT sessions to get some extra loss that way.

    Best of luck with the upcoming vacation (I know all about that feel...lol).
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve

  7. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    For starters, 23% as a female isn't a bad place to be at all -- and I also don't trust those ratings for the life of me. I know I carried extra fat elsewhere, but I still had visible abs and one of those things was telling me I was 30+% bf...lol

    So I switched back to an old school scale that just gives me the weight and nothing else.

    If you're logging 15k steps/day, that's insane. I generally get around 12,000 or so on gym days, but I also don't think it's calibrated exactly right (particularly because I get "less steps" when running because of bigger strides, so whatever lol). I mean, you could dip down a bit in the short term, but if it were me, I would maybe calorie cycle (so drop down a bit lower on a day and then make sure to stay where you were or even slightly bump up another day) and add in an extra couple cardio HIIT sessions to get some extra loss that way.

    Best of luck with the upcoming vacation (I know all about that feel...lol).
    I know I am just struggling with this last 5-10lbs of fat! My love handles and lower stomach is my worst. I can see my top abs just a little bit. Ya I think the steps are a little off because I get steps brushing my teeth LOL

    Calorie cycling meaning? I average 1600-1800 I never have the exact same calories a day. I kind of go off of intuitive and macro counting because if I'm not super hungry I don't eat.
  8. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by kjkitzman View Post
    I know I am just struggling with this last 5-10lbs of fat! My love handles and lower stomach is my worst. I can see my top abs just a little bit. Ya I think the steps are a little off because I get steps brushing my teeth LOL

    Calorie cycling meaning? I average 1600-1800 I never have the exact same calories a day. I kind of go off of intuitive and macro counting because if I'm not super hungry I don't eat.
    lol yeah, I know people who cheat and flail their arms to get extra steps (which being competitive isn't why I have the thing -- I want as accurate of a reflection as possible of my daily expenditure).

    With calorie cycling, I just meant do a day where you hit 1200 and then a day with like 1800.

    My normal expenditure on off days is ~2700-2800 total calories with workout days ranging from 3,600-4,500. I obviously have a lot more room to play around and make drastic changes than you do, because we don't want days where you're eating like 0 calories, but I just meant if you go up a bit one day, try to swing the cals back down lower the next. I just try to switch things up where I can so the body doesn't get used to a programmed/set amount on a regular basis.

    Are you doing/using anything supplement wise? You don't need to, but I'm just curious since you've already made the progress you have and are near the last bit.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve

  9. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    lol yeah, I know people who cheat and flail their arms to get extra steps (which being competitive isn't why I have the thing -- I want as accurate of a reflection as possible of my daily expenditure).

    With calorie cycling, I just meant do a day where you hit 1200 and then a day with like 1800.

    My normal expenditure on off days is ~2700-2800 total calories with workout days ranging from 3,600-4,500. I obviously have a lot more room to play around and make drastic changes than you do, because we don't want days where you're eating like 0 calories, but I just meant if you go up a bit one day, try to swing the cals back down lower the next. I just try to switch things up where I can so the body doesn't get used to a programmed/set amount on a regular basis.

    Are you doing/using anything supplement wise? You don't need to, but I'm just curious since you've already made the progress you have and are near the last bit.
    Exactly - i actually want to take it off when i do things i know it would be accurate for. I normally say whatever my total steps I take off 15-20%. I will maybe try that. Rest or cardio days do low calorie and obviously leg day higher.

    I am almost done with my PES Norcodrene + Shift. I have about 2 weeks left. Going to take 2 weeks off and then either do Ignit3 or OxyMax XT don't know which one would work best for me!!! Maybe you have more ideas. I never help with appetite and cortisol control!

  10. Name:  1rev.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  269.4 KB

    Here is a current picture. Very thin on top but just the love handles, inner thighs, lower stomach

  11. Quote Originally Posted by kjkitzman View Post
    Name:  1rev.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  269.4 KB

    Here is a current picture. Very thin on top but just the love handles, inner thighs, lower stomach
    Kj you look awesome and I don't see any body fat there

  12. Quote Originally Posted by jt75 View Post
    Kj you look awesome and I don't see any body fat there
    @jt75 thank you!! but there is body fat! I want to be at 20% currently at 23% per my scale. I can pinch an inch HEHE

  13. Quote Originally Posted by kjkitzman View Post
    @jt75 thank you!! but there is body fat! I want to be at 20% currently at 23% per my scale. I can pinch an inch HEHE
    Nothing wrong with pinching an inch,more to hold onto

  14. any fat burner suggestions? OxyMax XT or Ignit3 or anything else with appetite suppressant?

  15. Check out Follidrone 2.0 by BLR. Awesome blend of epicatechin and ecklonia cava, rave reviews on here. People eating in a surplus even lost weight and the pounds dropped of the people using it in a cut,kept me lean and tight,it's worth checking out.

  16. You need to get a better watch, in my opinion. Polar A300 or M400 are really solid options. If you're looking for something really basic (time, HR) then the FT1 might do it for you.

    Is this stuff a necessity? No it's not. But a more accurate reading could help maximize your cardio training.
  17. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    I see what you're saying, but you can see the serratus and even the outline of the rectus abdominus, so you don't have much left to go at all. I think your current stack is good. If you are in fact looking for anything else, Eviscerate (topical) would likely give you some solid results since you have so little left to go.

    Great work so far!
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve

  18. Quote Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
    You need to get a better watch, in my opinion. Polar A300 or M400 are really solid options. If you're looking for something really basic (time, HR) then the FT1 might do it for you.

    Is this stuff a necessity? No it's not. But a more accurate reading could help maximize your cardio training.
    @dbrock504 When I lift or do cardio I put my heart rate monitor on which is a Polar FT4. But I also wear my Fitbit Charge HR all day and while I am working out. Does that make a difference?

  19. @MidwestBeast I will have to check that topical out! Thanks and BTW are you from the midwest per your name
    @jt75 I will have to look into those thank you

  20. Quote Originally Posted by kjkitzman View Post
    @dbrock504 When I lift or do cardio I put my heart rate monitor on which is a Polar FT4. But I also wear my Fitbit Charge HR all day and while I am working out. Does that make a difference?
    Nah not much. My dad has the Fitbit and I have the A300. The fit bit is very inaccurate. I don't know if I care about my HR throughout the day. As long as you are able to monitor your HR accurately during your workouts, I think you're good. And again, this isn't a necessity.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by dbrock504 View Post
    Nah not much. My dad has the Fitbit and I have the A300. The fit bit is very inaccurate. I don't know if I care about my HR throughout the day. As long as you are able to monitor your HR accurately during your workouts, I think you're good. And again, this isn't a necessity.
    I just use the Fitbit for challenging my friends!!! and I know that if I have at least over 10,000 steps a day I was active enough since I still at a desk for 10 hours a day so I try to get enough NEAT in as I can.

  22. Worrying about the minute details of small difference in heart rate as reported, etc isn't really a big deal. Any of those even for the heart rate are just estimates, the calories burned could be as far as 25% off.

    Sounds like what you've been doing is working, so keep doing it. As mentioned, calorie cycling (including having an weekly cheat meal) will help, carbohydrate cycling could too. Here's one of our articles explaining the idea carb cycling. Don't worry so much about the training part, just the conceptual part for nutrition

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/conte...way-carb-1013/

  23. Thanks for the info - I am currently carb cycling. 2 low days 1 high carb.

    Low days = 80g carbs and High days = 200g carbs. no more than 1700 calories per day. Cheat meal in meaning like anything or higher carbs lower fat?
  24. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by kjkitzman View Post
    @MidwestBeast I will have to check that topical out! Thanks and BTW are you from the midwest per your name
    Grew up in IL and live in KY now. So it's debatable whether or not where I'm at currently is still considered the midwest. Most would say no and call it the south, though those in the true south don't like to claim us lol. I'd call it "mideast" but then people along the coast get uppity about that.

    So I suppose I should just change it to KentuckyBeast lol.



    And regarding the HR and inaccuracy -- I think as long as it's reliable/consistent, that's the far more important thing. I don't care if it tells me I burned 3k calories and it was really 4k. But as long as it's regularly inaccurate, then I have a workable system. And I know it's not anywhere near to perfect, but it's better than nothing and still provides me with what I consider pretty reliable data.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Representative | [email protected] | Inspire to Evolve

  25. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Grew up in IL and live in KY now. So it's debatable whether or not where I'm at currently is still considered the midwest. Most would say no and call it the south, though those in the true south don't like to claim us lol. I'd call it "mideast" but then people along the coast get uppity about that.

    So I suppose I should just change it to KentuckyBeast lol.



    And regarding the HR and inaccuracy -- I think as long as it's reliable/consistent, that's the far more important thing. I don't care if it tells me I burned 3k calories and it was really 4k. But as long as it's regularly inaccurate, then I have a workable system. And I know it's not anywhere near to perfect, but it's better than nothing and still provides me with what I consider pretty reliable data.
    Had to ask. I'm from Wisconsin GO PACKERS! hehe!

    I agree I just try to hit at least 12,000-15,000 and then I know I was "active" enough during the day.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Recommend me a heart rate monitor
    By Wagz86 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2015, 06:07 PM
  2. Heart Rate Monitors
    By double s in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 10:41 AM
  3. Cheap heart rate monitor
    By EasyEJL in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 02:58 PM
  4. Heart Rate Monitor
    By fatburner2007 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 11:04 PM
  5. Heart Rate Monitors
    By OCCFan023 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Log in
Log in