Improving the Deadlift

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I am after a program to help me get better at my deadlift. I'm not sure if there is a diff between how guys and girls should be deadlifting but I noticed at my gym guys do conventional and girls are into sumo, for the most part. but I don't want to deadlift sumo.

Basically I am stuck at my bodyweight 1r.m and I want to be able to increase this if poss. My trainers and coaches always try to help me get better with form (they're saying my shoulder needs to be more 'inline', squeeze hamstrings to get off the floor, and squeeze quads at the top) and essentially to get over the uncomfortable feeling in the lower back that makes me want to drop it lol.

Guys at the gym are saying the ed coen routine is a good one. I looked it up and think it can work because I do a lot of the accessories in my PULL day. But I want second opinions from you guys/gals who to see if this is suitable or not. And what program or method did you use to increase your deadlift by heaps! cheers in advance :)

elhosk

Awards
If it's a technique thing and strength is the aim, Stefan Korte's 3x3 worked really well for me. The original programme calls for the 3 lifts 3 times a week but you can just run it for the deadlift and it would fit well in your programme. Pulling Volume is lower on Coan but more assistance work, no doubt you'd still get good results on either. Also never heard of women having to pull sumo, so just smash conventional :)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Welllllll you've already mentioned technique. If you have crap form, a program can do only so much. As for programs, everyone I have talked to that has run Coan's program has had progress off of it. I've never used it myself personally.

You could look into 5/3/1, Cube Method, Cube Boss, 10/20/Life, Minimalist Method. Also go to Elite FTS and Juggernaut Training's websites. They have an enormous amount of articles and sample templates.

As for girls and sumo....I'd say it's because you all are usually blessed with a greater hip mobility, but neither is right or wrong. Just pull whatever stance you're strongest with.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Omg I have a lot of reading to do! cheers guys i appreciate

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Learn as much as you can about deadlift technique first, and then your lifts will go up tremendously fast and you won't be wrecking your body week in and week out. Programs are already covered in this thread, so I say get on YouTube and learn up on deadlifts. A tip for the videos: if the instructor sounds really intelligent but you wouldn't trust them to rescue you from beneath an automobile, move on to the next vid. If the instructor looks like a gorilla and talks like one as well, skip it. Look for a good mix of both.

Also, don't think women must pull sumo. Most of the biggest deadlifts from women I have seen are done conventional.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
herderdude; do you have any recommendations? for youtube I mean. like there are literally thousands there.

over the past year (maybe more?) i have subbed OmarIsuf, Supertraining66, Chris Duffin, Kelly Starrett, CanditoTrainingHQ. I'll paw through their vids first and see what i can find :)

Oh and my trainers helped me a lot for sure. I only deadlifted the barbell when i first started :)

elhosk

Awards
herderdude; do you have any recommendations? for youtube I mean. like there are literally thousands there.

over the past year (maybe more?) i have subbed OmarIsuf, Supertraining66, Chris Duffin, Kelly Starrett, CanditoTrainingHQ. I'll paw through their vids first and see what i can find :)

Oh and my trainers helped me a lot for sure. I only deadlifted the barbell when i first started :)
Recent ones by supertraining06 have ed coan doing them, so it you're doing the coan programme it might be worth a look

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Juggernaut Training Systems (JTS) has a deadlift 101, EliteFTS has one with Brian Carroll, and those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I have seen and would recommend. I don't watch a lot of stuff from people who were born to deadlift huge. They certainly can contribute, but since I'm not built that way I've had to shuck some of their tips to get to 600.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Oh thanks so much I will check those out tonight! herderdude;

Omg ed coan is huge I don't know if his training applies to me lmao elhosk;

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
I am after a program to help me get better at my deadlift. I'm not sure if there is a diff between how guys and girls should be deadlifting but I noticed at my gym guys do conventional and girls are into sumo, for the most part. but I don't want to deadlift sumo.

Basically I am stuck at my bodyweight 1r.m and I want to be able to increase this if poss. My trainers and coaches always try to help me get better with form (they're saying my shoulder needs to be more 'inline', squeeze hamstrings to get off the floor, and squeeze quads at the top) and essentially to get over the uncomfortable feeling in the lower back that makes me want to drop it lol.

Guys at the gym are saying the ed coen routine is a good one. I looked it up and think it can work because I do a lot of the accessories in my PULL day. But I want second opinions from you guys/gals who to see if this is suitable or not. And what program or method did you use to increase your deadlift by heaps! cheers in advance :)
Um what? Squeeze hamstrings at bottom and quads at top? I think you may need to look for new coaching.

My cues that I teach people with are hip hinge back, push abs/obliques/lower back out, lock lats in, chest high, drive through heel while twisting feet outwards, and squeeze glutes/push hips through right below knee level until lock out

There's a So You Think You Can Deadlift series on youtube by Matt Wenning of EliteFTS. Give it a watch.

FWIW my girlfriend loves romanian deadlifts for building the booty.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Thats great kdubson14; the greatest problem i have is that feeling in the lower back at the very beginning which tells my body to stop and drop it. well i do all the things i am taught to do like breathe in and keep my back flat but the lower back is always where i feel it most. i'll watch those video as well thanks.

lol with romanian DL you'll see in my log I do them but i realised the other day I must wear trackies and not my usual gymwear in future. There are guys looking not too subtle about it either and it puts me off.

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
Thats great kdubson14; the greatest problem i have is that feeling in the lower back at the very beginning which tells my body to stop and drop it. well i do all the things i am taught to do like breathe in and keep my back flat but the lower back is always where i feel it most. i'll watch those video as well thanks.

lol with romanian DL you'll see in my log I do them but i realised the other day I must wear trackies and not my usual gymwear in future. There are guys looking not too subtle about it either and it puts me off.
Has anyone checked your pelvic position during the starting position for deadlifts? Excessive tilt in either direction can put extra strain on your lower back.

And haha definitely track shorts/pants all day for RDLs

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Yea in the beginning it was too high so it was like a crappy SLDL. then its too low when my 1st coach said drop my hips until my calves touch the hamstrings. Now a diff coach is saying go higher. I'll find a happy medium soon lol

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
I meant whether there is excessive anterior or posterior tilt of the pelvis, not how high your starting position is. Most women I know tend to exist in a state of excessive anterior tilt because of heeled shoes.

Do some bodyweight/goblet squats, assess your pelvic position, how your glutes are firing, etc and warm-up/correct accordingly before squatting/deadlifting. I think Chris Duffin has a great series on youtube regarding all things hip position.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
This is funny bc I have been watching instructions from Ripptoe and when he braced the lower back, there was 'anterior tilt'. So I thought this was a good thing lol.. for deadlifts.

I wear flat shoes to the gym and only slightly raised heels most of the time. But yea I will change my warm up and stretch exercises before to see if it makes a difference!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is funny bc I have been watching instructions from Ripptoe and when he braced the lower back, there was 'anterior tilt'. So I thought this was a good thing lol.. for deadlifts.

I wear flat shoes to the gym and only slightly raised heels most of the time. But yea I will change my warm up and stretch exercises before to see if it makes a difference!
I brace first so my ribcage is locked to my pelvis, then tilt my pelvis and drop hips straight down to the bar. You don't want loose tilt, you have to lock everything together first.

Vinnycapo23

Vinnycapo23

Awards
Check out Kelly starret.. good info/ tips on the deaflift

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you want to get good at something do it a lot.

Should be dead lifting 2-3 times per week, low reps, 5+sets first exercise regardless of the muscle group your hitting

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Probably should cut out squats for now as well.

Women have the potential to have equal lower body strength as men, but not upper body

Weathermark

Weathermark

Awards
  • Established
Probably should cut out squats for now as well.

Women have the potential to have equal lower body strength as men, but not upper body
Agreed, puccah has some monster legs. They are fine hahaha