Hi from Oz! and a Q

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Gday :) I am new as you can see! You can call me candy well thats what everyone calls me. I joined because I can talk about training and getting tips from the experts in a proper training forum. I work in a 24/7gym so you can say I live breathe and work in fitness! I finished my cutting phrase in the beginning of this month (first cut ever). I am on maintenance now and my goal is to get some lean gains over the next few months. I am sure I can learn heaps from here.

and I should ask my first question if thats ok. if I am on maintenance at 1908kcal for 9 days total how long should I go before I increase my kcal to 100 above for lean gains? I do not want to minimise fat as much as poss. and my maintenance includes training 5-6 x week.

Cheers! C.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Hi Candy,

The answer is thar you should go strait to that 100 jump, being at maintenance won't progress you to that goal.

At that surplus it will be a long journey but definitely limit your fat gain so you gave the right idea.

I bet you could go up another 100 after a week and cruise at a 200 surplus and still keep gains mainly lean mass

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Sorry there's a typo there, I meant I want to minimise fat gains obviously. not 'do not'..lol

I am ok going over by 100kcal but 200kcal is a bit much don't you think? that's like 10% over my maintenance. and I can't remember but I thought I have to stick with maintenance for awhile to bring my body off 'starvation mood' otherwise it will store fat too easily?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Sorry there's a typo there, I meant I want to minimise fat gains obviously. not 'do not'..lol I am ok going over by 100kcal but 200kcal is a bit much don't you think? that's like 10% over my maintenance. and I can't remember but I thought I have to stick with maintenance for awhile to bring my body off 'starvation mood' otherwise it will store fat too easily?
No that has no real backing to it

Even a reverse diet would move faster

Its not like it will hinder you so do it if you prefer, then bump 100, then another 100

200 is not a lot, many of us do 500 and still consider it a slow bulk
As a female its a bit lower for you, so I say work up to 200 and try that

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
oh that's great! thank you.

I'll update my fitnesspal targets by 100kcal.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Driven has got you. Add in the 100 immediately and then let it settle for a week or two and reevaluate. Keep this cycle going until you start gaining weight too fast and then hold or slightly back off at that calorie level. For example I ran as part of a reverse diet into bulk:
Week/kcal added (total)
1/100 (1900)
2/100 (2000)
3/- (2k)
4/- (2k)
5/100 (2100)
6/-(2100)
7/100 (2200)
8/- (2.2k)
9/- (2.2k)
10/100 (2300)
etc etc