Squat depth

Maria

Maria

Awards
What's your take on Squat depth ? From what I know a few factors are involved when executing it and while it seems everybody says ass to the grass is the way not everybody can do it or not everybody can benefit from it . Is there such thing as the "perfect " way to squat ?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not everyone can do A2G. Parallel is the inside fold of your hip aligning with the inside of you knee. Many do it higher, however. (I used to as well)

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And welcome to AM Maria.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
We have debated this a lot. Some claim going parallel keeps the tension on your quads better. I went ATG to see what would produce more results for ME. Over a course of 6 months, I almost doubled leg progress, so I go as deep as possible now. And I have had a knee reconstruction, so I don't take bad knees as an excuse for a lot of people. Some people literally can not bend down like that due to physical limitations.

Maria

Maria

Awards
Thank you Register Jr.
I can do the ATG with no problem and I find that my quads are challenged as well . The reason I opened this topic is a trainer at my local gym , who made it loud and clear the squat is supposed to be ATG and who doesn't execute it like that is just lazy . And I find that to be a very superficial , stupid statement when everybody knows : performing squats involves hip and ankle flexibility , lower back history & also what are you targeting muscle wise . If you primarily targeting the quads ATG is the way , if targeting glutes the parallel variation seems to be more beneficial

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ass to grass becomes more of a quad and glute movement since there's often a rebound out of the hole. Parallel requires more hamstring strength to stop at parallel.

Maria

Maria

Awards
When I do just bellow parallel I find my glutes the most challenged...

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
When I do just bellow parallel I find my glutes the most challenged...
Unfortunately science tells us that you have it backwards. As Rodja said, parallel keeps more tension on the hamstrings where as ATG is more glutes and quads. ATG is the way to go, imo if you can (and you said you can).

Like an AM member said, "if you want to look like a boxer, train like a boxer. If you want to look like someone specific, do what they do."

I want to have legs like Tom Platz. He went for a full ROM.

Maria

Maria

Awards
Unfortunately science tells us that you have it backwards. As Rodja said, parallel keeps more tension on the hamstrings where as ATG is more glutes and quads. ATG is the way to go, imo if you can (and you said you can). Like an AM member said, "if you want to look like a boxer, train like a boxer. If you want to look like someone specific, do what they do." I want to have legs like Tom Platz. He went for a full ROM.
I personally try for a balance between ATG and parallel just because my quads are not my priority now and they are big enough . So I rather go just bellow parallel for enough tension on glutes and hamstrings . Personal preference and also what it worked on me for so long .

Maria

Maria

Awards
Unfortunately science tells us that you have it backwards. As Rodja said, parallel keeps more tension on the hamstrings where as ATG is more glutes and quads. ATG is the way to go, imo if you can (and you said you can). Like an AM member said, "if you want to look like a boxer, train like a boxer. If you want to look like someone specific, do what they do." I want to have legs like Tom Platz. He went for a full ROM.
I'm no scientist or expert in this field but what I do know is my body and what works for my body and the ATG is soliciting primarily and the most my quads & maybe secondarily ( and to little to count ) my glutes. And this why I even started this thread because I believe what works for one in a way , might not work for another

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
We have debated this a lot. Some claim going parallel keeps the tension on your quads better. I went ATG to see what would produce more results for ME. Over a course of 6 months, I almost doubled leg progress, so I go as deep as possible now. And I have had a knee reconstruction, so I don't take bad knees as an excuse for a lot of people. Some people literally can not bend down like that due to physical limitations.
"Bad" knees can be quite to excuse and you of anyone who had a knee reconstruction should know that! Such a comment is rude to those who lose their ability to reach certain depths because of surgical interventions.

What did you have done anyway? Unhappy triad work?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What's your take on Squat depth ? From what I know a few factors are involved when executing it and while it seems everybody says ass to the grass is the way not everybody can do it or not everybody can benefit from it . Is there such thing as the "perfect " way to squat ?
Honestly there isn't a perfect way to squat, you learn safe and effective leverages to allow you to complete the lift and most people are very different.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
"Bad" knees can be quite to excuse and you of anyone who had a knee reconstruction should know that! Such a comment is rude to those who lose their ability to reach certain depths because of surgical interventions. What did you have done anyway? Unhappy triad work?
I fear you may have misunderstood my post. Like I said, some people physically can not do that ROM. For those, I understand. For example, my dad has had 8 total knee surgeries. He literally can't squat anymore. Pass. Mid 20's-30's man who claims it hurts his knees and is just being a baby isn't an excuse to me, and believe me, at my gym anyways, that's 90% of the people in the squat rack.

Again, I have had a complete knee reconstruction at 18 years old. I'm 23 now and I can tell you, it was a long and uncomfortable road to recovery and I do ATG without discomfort or fear of injury.

My knee surgery comprised of an acl, mcl, LCL, meniscus, PCL and fractured the platella bone. (Big motocross injury). They graphed from a pig tendon and my hamstring to repair it all. In a wheel chair for 4 months.

My point is merely too many people claim bad knees and I believe for a lot of them, it's just an excuse. Again, there are a lot with physical limitations and those people rightfully do not need to be doing ATG. I still advocate for ATG if possible.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I fear you may have misunderstood my post. Like I said, some people physically can not do that ROM. For those, I understand. For example, my dad has had 8 total knee surgeries. He literally can't squat anymore. Pass. Mid 20's-30's man who claims it hurts his knees and is just being a baby isn't an excuse to me, and believe me, at my gym anyways, that's 90% of the people in the squat rack. Again, I have had a complete knee reconstruction at 18 years old. I'm 23 now and I can tell you, it was a long and uncomfortable road to recovery and I do ATG without discomfort or fear of injury. My knee surgery comprised of an acl, mcl, LCL, meniscus, PCL and fractured the platella bone. (Big motocross injury). They graphed from a pig tendon and my hamstring to repair it all. In a wheel chair for 4 months. My point is merely too many people claim bad knees and I believe for a lot of them, it's just an excuse. Again, there are a lot with physical limitations and those people rightfully do not need to be doing ATG. I still advocate for ATG if possible.
To each their own but on a very general board and your recovery story it's not something the general public needs to think is commonly done.

I will agree with you I did misread and jump the gun but after working in the gym for 4 years and having watched ppl get peer pressured into doing activities they just aren't ready for ..it just bothers me and you know what time of year it is lol. Damn near daily someone tells me they can't squat because it hurts their knees. I just ask how they get on the toilet ?

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
To each their own but on a very general board and your recovery story it's not something the general public needs to think is commonly done. I will agree with you I did misread and jump the gun but after working in the gym for 4 years and having watched ppl get peer pressured into doing activities they just aren't ready for ..it just bothers me and you know what time of year it is lol. Damn near daily someone tells me they can't squat because it hurts their knees. I just ask how they get on the toilet ?
I couldn't agree more.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I'm no scientist or expert in this field but what I do know is my body and what works for my body and the ATG is soliciting primarily and the most my quads & maybe secondarily ( and to little to count ) my glutes. And this why I even started this thread because I believe what works for one in a way , might not work for another
And that is true. And I'm glad you mix it up. There are a lot of small things that change the production in the squat. For example, angled toes, width of stance, etc. This small things that you're doing may make you feel it in different areas. Who knows. It's actually a pretty complicated movement as simple at is appears. Regardless, do what works for you. The only thing that matters are gainz!! Haha

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Honestly there isn't a perfect way to squat, you learn safe and effective leverages to allow you to complete the lift and most people are very different.
There is a perfect way to squat, but it's not what what most people think that it is. The perfect squat is where you're at your best biomechanical leverage along with full-body tightness. It's that last part that almost every portion of the training population forgets. The squat is not a quad movement or even a thigh/hip movement. It requires synergy of the entire kinetic chain.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I rarely atg, I just do what I'm comfortable with and that's parallel. :)

Maria

Maria

Awards
And that is true. And I'm glad you mix it up. There are a lot of small things that change the production in the squat. For example, angled toes, width of stance, etc. This small things that you're doing may make you feel it in different areas. Who knows. It's actually a pretty complicated movement as simple at is appears. Regardless, do what works for you. The only thing that matters are gainz!! Haha
Haha you got that right :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Training Forum 3
anab0lix Training Forum 38
genthoseffect Training Forum 122
C Training Forum 5
E Powerlifting/Strongman 10