need some suggestions ladies - AnabolicMinds.com

need some suggestions ladies

  1. New Member
    themonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    70

    Reputation

    need some suggestions ladies


    Hi:
    I need some help from the ladies. My gf has been working out with me for about four months now. She has made great progress and has dropped a lot of weight and toned up along with cleaning up her diet significantly.

    She was doing severe starvation diets for a long time and it messed up her metabolism, but it is starting to come back on line correctly. Her big problem is watching the scale constanly for results. I can't seem to break her of the habit. I tell her to pay attention to how she feels and how she looks/her clothes fit, but that dam scale weight is a road block for her.

    How did you break yourself of getting stuck with what you see in the scale??

    She only needs/wants to loose about 10-15lbs before she will be happy and not brush off my complements. To me it is irrevelnt, but you know how that goes.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. New Member
    themonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    70

    Reputation

    Oh, yea. She is 21 5'4" and 140lbs if that helps your replies.

    Right now she is doing 1200 cal a day and also doing ketosis. Working out doing an hour of lifting and an hour of cardio.

    She is also doing whey protein and 1/2 of a dexiprime xl pill each day.
  3. New Member
    Lynseyglenn's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  138 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    14

    Reputation

    The dreaded scale..... The best way to break it is to not have one around. Period. Trash the scale and buy her a measuring tape. Tell her to measure the same areas once a week and write down the numbers to keep track, when she sees the numbers going down eventually she will stop worrying about the number on the scale. If she isn't up for this ask her to try it maybe just for a month. As for the 1200 calorie diet I personally would raise that by a few hundred, 1200 is fine but not for long periods it will also be better to keep her metabolism faster
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    themonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    70

    Reputation

    Thanks for the reply. I will give it a shot. I don't think I can get her to ditch the scale, but she is willing to try the tape for checking results. Baby steps......

    I think it is hard for her to see the girls at my gym (there is a lot of fitness competition girls that train there) & not try to compare herself to them.

    I try to tell her to look at them as an eventual goal as to how she wants to look ( that is her ultimate goal) not to compare herself now. She has made big progress and to be proud of what she has accomplished so far.
    Sigh.....
  5. Professional Member
    puccah8808's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,991
    Rep Power
    621124

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    The scale is such a mind fck! I finally had to stop weighing myself and I take a lot of progress pics. I never notice any changes until I look at old pics. It's a difficult battle but remember, don't let the scale define you.
    DO IT FOR THE "HOLY, SH*T, YOU GOT HOT"...
  6. Advanced Member
    Miss Q's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  148 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    951
    Rep Power
    649009

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynseyglenn View Post
    The dreaded scale..... The best way to break it is to not have one around. Period. Trash the scale and buy her a measuring tape. Tell her to measure the same areas once a week and write down the numbers to keep track, when she sees the numbers going down eventually she will stop worrying about the number on the scale. If she isn't up for this ask her to try it maybe just for a month. As for the 1200 calorie diet I personally would raise that by a few hundred, 1200 is fine but not for long periods it will also be better to keep her metabolism faster

    ^ THIS, ALL DAY LONG!!!

    The scale DOES NOT dictate how your body looks, only numbers from b/fat and measurements do! I know how your gf feels because I used to let the numbers on the scale dictate how I felt too. Like Lynsey suggests, have her measure herself weekly or go get her b/fat measured professionally with a trainer that tests actual skin folds. She will be able to keep track of her progress better this way as she will keep a record of it.

    I remember last time I leaned down in a 30 day period... guess what happened? The scale only dropped 4 lbs , yet I lost several inches, a lot of body fat and I looked completely different! Lesson learned!!
  7. Professional Member
    puccah8808's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,991
    Rep Power
    621124

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam c View Post
    Ever kick a guy in the balls?
    I have.
    DO IT FOR THE "HOLY, SH*T, YOU GOT HOT"...
  8. Advanced Member
    Miss Q's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  148 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    951
    Rep Power
    649009

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam c View Post
    Ever kick a guy in the balls?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam c View Post
    Really lol would you if a guy asked you to?
    Your getting on my nerves now.

    Why are you all over different threads asking the same question, and why did you just PM me?!? Get the F outta here!
  9. Professional Member
    puccah8808's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,991
    Rep Power
    621124

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post

    Your getting on my nerves now.

    Why are you all over different threads asking the same question, and why did you just PM me?!? Get the F outta here!
    It's his fetish and he gets off on it!! Get him Miss Q!!!
    DO IT FOR THE "HOLY, SH*T, YOU GOT HOT"...
  10. Advanced Member
    Miss Q's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  148 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    951
    Rep Power
    649009

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by puccah8808 View Post
    It's his fetish and he gets off on it!! Get him Miss Q!!!
    LOL!! I think there are plenty of other sites out there that might fit hi "liking" a little better!! Looks like he's gone now, anyway!
  11. Professional Member
    puccah8808's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,991
    Rep Power
    621124

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Q View Post

    LOL!! I think there are plenty of other sites out there that might fit hi "liking" a little better!! Looks like he's gone now, anyway!
    Yay!!!!!!
    DO IT FOR THE "HOLY, SH*T, YOU GOT HOT"...
  12. Elite Member
    GeekPoop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,263
    Rep Power
    234818

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by themonkey View Post
    Hi:
    I need some help from the ladies. My gf has been working out with me for about four months now. She has made great progress and has dropped a lot of weight and toned up along with cleaning up her diet significantly.

    She was doing severe starvation diets for a long time and it messed up her metabolism, but it is starting to come back on line correctly. Her big problem is watching the scale constanly for results. I can't seem to break her of the habit. I tell her to pay attention to how she feels and how she looks/her clothes fit, but that dam scale weight is a road block for her.

    How did you break yourself of getting stuck with what you see in the scale??

    She only needs/wants to loose about 10-15lbs before she will be happy and not brush off my complements. To me it is irrevelnt, but you know how that goes.

    Thanks in advance!
    i is a lady

    have her take a picture of heself in the SAME room at the SAME time on the SAME day. Like saturday morning after she goes to the bathroom, try to make it a white background. take a front and back picture. Use those as your guides.

    Take her BF%

    hell if it was me, I'd hide all the scales or throw them out.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  13. New Member
    Dulce's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  118 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    5215

    Reputation

    I still obsess over my scale. Probably will forever. But as other posters have mentioned, measuring tapes, photos, etc are a better way to assess changes. Nothing wrong with obsessing over scales as long as the workouts and diets don't become illogical
  14. Senior Member
    Magdalena's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,138
    Rep Power
    1123172

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Remind her that muscle weighs more than fat, measuring is the best way, progress pics as well like mentioned above... I still step on the scale every day , ha ha... I went from 185lbs of fat to 117(stage weight) to 135lbs ( bulking) right now.. Same thing I get worried cause the # getting bigger, but progress pics put me back on track.., us women can't stress about stuff like that , stress=water retention
  15. Elite Member
    tyga tyga's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,887
    Rep Power
    2398553

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Magdalena View Post
    Remind her that muscle weighs more than fat
    3lbs=3lbs

    Fat covers more area, but it doesn't weigh less than muscle.

    Mag had it right, tell her to stop watching the scale. Measurements, pics and the mirror will be the best judgement.
    MYOKEM ATHLETE & REP
    BJOHNSON15 @MYOKEM.COM FOR 15% OFF

    PSALMS 62:1- 62:2
  16. Advanced Member
    Mperkins's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    523
    Rep Power
    30351

    Reputation

    have you let her know how you feel? i mean yeah sounds dumb but show your concerned about all this and like everyone said pics! also if you got a scale in your own house bag it up and give it to a buddy hell if its a local gym give it to the owner i know my boss/owner of the gymwould hold a scale in his office. just keep giving her positive ecouragement! props for you to ask this its good that you care and not like most of our kind who think 99% women are ugly if they dont have a thigh gap.
    Future IFBB pro. Glory to God. "The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that." - Arnold
  17. New Member
    jilldunnfit's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  110 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Age
    29
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    18736

    Reputation

    The scale doesn't tell the whole story! One of my clients dropped from 28% body fat to 12% body fat and stayed the same weight the entire time. (Within a couple pounds.) She put on a great deal of muscle while dropping the fat and completely transformed her body. Looks amazing, but the same weight. Body fat testing would be a better way to keep track of progress.
  18. Senior Member
    Magdalena's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,138
    Rep Power
    1123172

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by themonkey View Post
    Hi: I need some help from the ladies. My gf has been working out with me for about four months now. She has made great progress and has dropped a lot of weight and toned up along with cleaning up her diet significantly. She was doing severe starvation diets for a long time and it messed up her metabolism, but it is starting to come back on line correctly. Her big problem is watching the scale constanly for results. I can't seem to break her of the habit. I tell her to pay attention to how she feels and how she looks/her clothes fit, but that dam scale weight is a road block for her. How did you break yourself of getting stuck with what you see in the scale?? She only needs/wants to loose about 10-15lbs before she will be happy and not brush off my complements. To me it is irrevelnt, but you know how that goes. Thanks in advance!
    Take measurements monthly.
    Make a chart, I keep mine on the fridge , lol....
    A pound of muscle does not look the same as a pound of fat! So as the fat shrinks, n the muscle grows the scale may not move much....

  19. Senior Member
    Magdalena's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,138
    Rep Power
    1123172

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tyga tyga View Post
    3lbs=3lbs Fat covers more area, but it doesn't weigh less than muscle. Mag had it right, tell her to stop watching the scale. Measurements, pics and the mirror will be the best judgement.
    I will never forgive my self for that statement, lol......
  20. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,702
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jilldunnfit View Post
    The scale doesn't tell the whole story! One of my clients dropped from 28% body fat to 12% body fat and stayed the same weight the entire time. (Within a couple pounds.) She put on a great deal of muscle while dropping the fat and completely transformed her body. Looks amazing, but the same weight. Body fat testing would be a better way to keep track of progress.
    That's impossible without steroids lol
  21. New Member
    EWolfe08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    97121

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    That's impossible without steroids lol

    Try contributing something useful bro. Don't be such a fool.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Experts, need some suggestions on this....
    By msucurt in forum Supplements
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 11:22 PM
  2. need some suggestions.
    By gethugedude in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 10:44 PM
  3. Need some suggestions for a workout for a girl
    By littleJ in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-23-2006, 03:28 AM
  4. big time cycle and need some suggestions
    By ugab37 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 11:03 AM
  5. Need some suggestions here
    By jminis in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 02:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in