need some suggestions ladies

themonkey

Awards
Hi:
I need some help from the ladies. My gf has been working out with me for about four months now. She has made great progress and has dropped a lot of weight and toned up along with cleaning up her diet significantly.

She was doing severe starvation diets for a long time and it messed up her metabolism, but it is starting to come back on line correctly. Her big problem is watching the scale constanly for results. I can't seem to break her of the habit. I tell her to pay attention to how she feels and how she looks/her clothes fit, but that dam scale weight is a road block for her.

How did you break yourself of getting stuck with what you see in the scale??

She only needs/wants to loose about 10-15lbs before she will be happy and not brush off my complements. To me it is irrevelnt, but you know how that goes.

Thanks in advance!

themonkey

Awards
Oh, yea. She is 21 5'4" and 140lbs if that helps your replies.

Right now she is doing 1200 cal a day and also doing ketosis. Working out doing an hour of lifting and an hour of cardio.

She is also doing whey protein and 1/2 of a dexiprime xl pill each day.

Lynseyglenn

Awards
The dreaded scale..... The best way to break it is to not have one around. Period. Trash the scale and buy her a measuring tape. Tell her to measure the same areas once a week and write down the numbers to keep track, when she sees the numbers going down eventually she will stop worrying about the number on the scale. If she isn't up for this ask her to try it maybe just for a month. As for the 1200 calorie diet I personally would raise that by a few hundred, 1200 is fine but not for long periods it will also be better to keep her metabolism faster

themonkey

Awards
Thanks for the reply. I will give it a shot. I don't think I can get her to ditch the scale, but she is willing to try the tape for checking results. Baby steps......

I think it is hard for her to see the girls at my gym (there is a lot of fitness competition girls that train there) & not try to compare herself to them.

I try to tell her to look at them as an eventual goal as to how she wants to look ( that is her ultimate goal) not to compare herself now. She has made big progress and to be proud of what she has accomplished so far.
Sigh.....

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The scale is such a mind fck! I finally had to stop weighing myself and I take a lot of progress pics. I never notice any changes until I look at old pics. It's a difficult battle but remember, don't let the scale define you. :)

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
The dreaded scale..... The best way to break it is to not have one around. Period. Trash the scale and buy her a measuring tape. Tell her to measure the same areas once a week and write down the numbers to keep track, when she sees the numbers going down eventually she will stop worrying about the number on the scale. If she isn't up for this ask her to try it maybe just for a month. As for the 1200 calorie diet I personally would raise that by a few hundred, 1200 is fine but not for long periods it will also be better to keep her metabolism faster

^ THIS, ALL DAY LONG!!!

The scale DOES NOT dictate how your body looks, only numbers from b/fat and measurements do! I know how your gf feels because I used to let the numbers on the scale dictate how I felt too. Like Lynsey suggests, have her measure herself weekly or go get her b/fat measured professionally with a trainer that tests actual skin folds. She will be able to keep track of her progress better this way as she will keep a record of it.

I remember last time I leaned down in a 30 day period... guess what happened? The scale only dropped 4 lbs , yet I lost several inches, a lot of body fat and I looked completely different! Lesson learned!!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your getting on my nerves now.

Why are you all over different threads asking the same question, and why did you just PM me?!? Get the F outta here!:bye:
It's his fetish and he gets off on it!! Get him Miss Q!!!

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
It's his fetish and he gets off on it!! Get him Miss Q!!!
LOL!! I think there are plenty of other sites out there that might fit hi "liking" a little better!! Looks like he's gone now, anyway! :cockblockedsad:

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
LOL!! I think there are plenty of other sites out there that might fit hi "liking" a little better!! Looks like he's gone now, anyway! :cockblockedsad:
Yay!!!!!! :D

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Hi:
I need some help from the ladies. My gf has been working out with me for about four months now. She has made great progress and has dropped a lot of weight and toned up along with cleaning up her diet significantly.

She was doing severe starvation diets for a long time and it messed up her metabolism, but it is starting to come back on line correctly. Her big problem is watching the scale constanly for results. I can't seem to break her of the habit. I tell her to pay attention to how she feels and how she looks/her clothes fit, but that dam scale weight is a road block for her.

How did you break yourself of getting stuck with what you see in the scale??

She only needs/wants to loose about 10-15lbs before she will be happy and not brush off my complements. To me it is irrevelnt, but you know how that goes.

Thanks in advance!
i is a lady

have her take a picture of heself in the SAME room at the SAME time on the SAME day. Like saturday morning after she goes to the bathroom, try to make it a white background. take a front and back picture. Use those as your guides.

Take her BF%

hell if it was me, I'd hide all the scales or throw them out.

Dulce

Dulce

Awards
I still obsess over my scale. Probably will forever. But as other posters have mentioned, measuring tapes, photos, etc are a better way to assess changes. Nothing wrong with obsessing over scales as long as the workouts and diets don't become illogical

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Remind her that muscle weighs more than fat, measuring is the best way, progress pics as well like mentioned above... I still step on the scale every day , ha ha... I went from 185lbs of fat to 117(stage weight) to 135lbs ( bulking) right now.. Same thing I get worried cause the # getting bigger, but progress pics put me back on track.., us women can't stress about stuff like that , stress=water retention:)

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Remind her that muscle weighs more than fat
3lbs=3lbs

Fat covers more area, but it doesn't weigh less than muscle.

Mag had it right, tell her to stop watching the scale. Measurements, pics and the mirror will be the best judgement.

Mperkins

Mperkins

Awards
have you let her know how you feel? i mean yeah sounds dumb but show your concerned about all this and like everyone said pics! also if you got a scale in your own house bag it up and give it to a buddy hell if its a local gym give it to the owner i know my boss/owner of the gymwould hold a scale in his office. just keep giving her positive ecouragement! props for you to ask this its good that you care and not like most of our kind who think 99% women are ugly if they dont have a thigh gap.

jilldunnfit

jilldunnfit

Awards
The scale doesn't tell the whole story! One of my clients dropped from 28% body fat to 12% body fat and stayed the same weight the entire time. (Within a couple pounds.) She put on a great deal of muscle while dropping the fat and completely transformed her body. Looks amazing, but the same weight. Body fat testing would be a better way to keep track of progress.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi: I need some help from the ladies. My gf has been working out with me for about four months now. She has made great progress and has dropped a lot of weight and toned up along with cleaning up her diet significantly. She was doing severe starvation diets for a long time and it messed up her metabolism, but it is starting to come back on line correctly. Her big problem is watching the scale constanly for results. I can't seem to break her of the habit. I tell her to pay attention to how she feels and how she looks/her clothes fit, but that dam scale weight is a road block for her. How did you break yourself of getting stuck with what you see in the scale?? She only needs/wants to loose about 10-15lbs before she will be happy and not brush off my complements. To me it is irrevelnt, but you know how that goes. Thanks in advance!
Take measurements monthly.
Make a chart, I keep mine on the fridge , lol....
A pound of muscle does not look the same as a pound of fat! So as the fat shrinks, n the muscle grows the scale may not move much....
:)
:)

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
3lbs=3lbs Fat covers more area, but it doesn't weigh less than muscle. Mag had it right, tell her to stop watching the scale. Measurements, pics and the mirror will be the best judgement.
I will never forgive my self for that statement, lol......
;)

JD261985

Banned
Awards
The scale doesn't tell the whole story! One of my clients dropped from 28% body fat to 12% body fat and stayed the same weight the entire time. (Within a couple pounds.) She put on a great deal of muscle while dropping the fat and completely transformed her body. Looks amazing, but the same weight. Body fat testing would be a better way to keep track of progress.
That's impossible without steroids lol