New here... need some help - AnabolicMinds.com

New here... need some help

  1. New Member
    addicted808's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    46

    Reputation

    New here... need some help


    So I seem to be googling everything everywhere. Let me start off...

    I've started to workout at a gym in September of this year because it hit me that I'm really unhealthy. I used to be a sporty girl when I was younger but when I broke my leg, I stopped doing sports and being active so I gained a lot of weight since then.

    The heaviest I was, was 245 in May and I am currently at 195 (also I'm 5'3 and 19). I used to take blood pressure medication because I have/had sleep apnea but when it got better, I got the ok to take OEP so I started taking OEP in october and november, but at my last two weeks I stacked OEP with anabolic pump. Now I'm on my 1 month break and taking recreate and AP. It's not as great as OEP but its something.

    I do at least an hour or two of cardio 4/5 times a week (elliptical/treadmill/cycling) and weights once or twice a week (I'm trying to lose my arm/belly/thigh fat before doing more weights and toning and stuff)

    I guess in a way I need help. I need advice. Like what more should I do? Should I do more weights than cardio or continue on cardio? I'm trying to lose weight, body fat. I have flabby arms, love handles, thick thighs. The only thing nice about my body are my legs. They're pretty toned, but you can tell which leg I broke because it's thinner haha. Im pretty good about what to eat and portioning my food and stuff. Also I drink whey protein shake(if you guys needed to know).

    On another note, my doctor said that if I lose about 20 lbs by February, then I may steer clear of Sleep Apnea which was given to me by being overweight most my life. I know that it's sometimes impossible to lose 20 lbs in two months so I'm in no rush. I mean it's a goal but even losing 10 lbs by feb sounds pretty good.

  2. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,156
    Rep Power
    193998

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by addicted808 View Post
    So I seem to be googling everything everywhere. Let me start off...

    I've started to workout at a gym in September of this year because it hit me that I'm really unhealthy. I used to be a sporty girl when I was younger but when I broke my leg, I stopped doing sports and being active so I gained a lot of weight since then.

    The heaviest I was, was 245 in May and I am currently at 195 (also I'm 5'3 and 19). I used to take blood pressure medication because I have/had sleep apnea but when it got better, I got the ok to take OEP so I started taking OEP in october and november, but at my last two weeks I stacked OEP with anabolic pump. Now I'm on my 1 month break and taking recreate and AP. It's not as great as OEP but its something.

    I do at least an hour or two of cardio 4/5 times a week (elliptical/treadmill/cycling) and weights once or twice a week (I'm trying to lose my arm/belly/thigh fat before doing more weights and toning and stuff)

    I guess in a way I need help. I need advice. Like what more should I do? Should I do more weights than cardio or continue on cardio? I'm trying to lose weight, body fat. I have flabby arms, love handles, thick thighs. The only thing nice about my body are my legs. They're pretty toned, but you can tell which leg I broke because it's thinner haha. Im pretty good about what to eat and portioning my food and stuff. Also I drink whey protein shake(if you guys needed to know).

    On another note, my doctor said that if I lose about 20 lbs by February, then I may steer clear of Sleep Apnea which was given to me by being overweight most my life. I know that it's sometimes impossible to lose 20 lbs in two months so I'm in no rush. I mean it's a goal but even losing 10 lbs by feb sounds pretty good.
    First of all, you need to look in the RIGHT place - some bodybuilding sites have a lot of articles for individuals just like you. The other option is to get yourself a TRAINER who knows their stuff to get you started and going - and this would be my recommendation, actually.

    Based on what you have said, I have made a few notes, but I really do recommend that you get a trainer who know what they're doing - if you haven't already (and if you have, then they should have given you information on nutrition, supplements, and training already, and if you have to ask elsewhere, then they are not the trainer for you) - and have them design you an individualized nutrition plan and training programme specific to YOU for your goals and needs.

    You've only JUST started training and being active again, AND you're only 19 years old - being a newbie and at your age, you do NOT need to take any supplements but the but the Basic Staples (creatine, multivitamin/antioxidant, good fats, protein, and BCAAs), and certainly nothing to help with weight/fat loss, because you're pretty much wasting your time and money doing that. I don't recommend using anything else until you're older and have built up a solid training base. NUTRITION AND TRAINING are what are going to get you results.

    If you want results, then you're better off not doing as much cardio - 1-2 hours a day is excessive, and concentrate on RESISTANCE training, since it is going to do a lot MORE for you and be far more EFFECTIVE at fat loss!

    You canNOT spot reduce and doing cardio is NOT going to get rid of your arm, belly, and thigh fat - the way to do this is to lose OVERALL bodyfat.

    There is no such thing as "toning".
    "Toning" is either:
    a) Losing bodyfat,
    b) Gaining muscle mass, or
    c) Gaining muscle mass whilst either losing or minimizing bodyfat (i.e. recomping).

    You want Option A - losing bodyfat.

    It's not impossible to lose 20 pounds in two months if you HAVE 20 pounds to lose - in fact, it's easy to lose SCALE WEIGHT, but you want the weight you lose to be BODYFAT, and you're better off concentrating on BODY COMPOSITION instead of the scales.

    I highly recommend that you read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - this article comprehensively covers nutrition, supplementation (as mentioned, you only need the basic staples!), and training for effective and successful fat loss! If you don't want to get a trainer, then if you follow the principles in this article, you will get results. (Note that I recommend reading the articles linked at the bottom of that page as well - and check out the articles I have written on females and weight lifting, if you're one of those who doesn't lift because they mistakenly believe that lifting weights means getting massive).

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Elite Member
    ryansm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,125
    Rep Power
    22017

    Reputation

    Great post Rosie

    Hopefully this helps Addicted<what's with the username by the way?

    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    Matthersby's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,705
    Rep Power
    217235

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    You have found a great site with alot of really smart, seasoned, and educated athletes. And you can learn alot from all of them. Even someone like myself who is no expert on supplements,training,or really anything discussed here. But I know a few things that I've learned in 14 years of trying to live like an athlete. Like many here I dont really care a whole lot about how much weight I can lift, I just want to look flawless. I have gone through dozens of periods of " bulking up" and "cutting down" depending my obsession that month. The point I'm trying to make is "anabolic" (as in Anabolicminds and Anabolic pump) is, by definition, putting the body in a state of building tissue. It sounds like right now you are trying to catabolize tissues(burn fat,lose weight,etc.) and it sounds like you've done great so far. Lifting weights 3-5 times a week to help tone and strengthen muscles(which are built-in super calorie starved tissues that will aid in ramping up your metabolism) is a great idea and I doubt you should spend any more of your time doing cardio daily. Maybe hiking in place of cardio for longer periods once or twice a week would be a change of pace. My advice is keep it up and don't worry too much about supplements other than a mild fat burner and keep up the good work.
  5. Advanced Member
    fightclub2012's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    36
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    3732

    Reputation

    I agree with Rosie %1000, get a good trainer and eat healthy, and drink lots and lots of water, most of us here drink, no bs at least a gallon a day. we all want you to achieve your goals.. IMO do cardio, and if your going to lift weights(which I think you should too) do high reps 15-20 reps a set, light weights obviously. you can loose 20lbs in 2 months, you have the will and put it into action, (enthusiastically)you can do this!!!
  6. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,156
    Rep Power
    193998

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by fightclub2012 View Post
    I agree with Rosie %1000, get a good trainer and eat healthy, and drink lots and lots of water, most of us here drink, no bs at least a gallon a day. we all want you to achieve your goals.. IMO do cardio, and if your going to lift weights(which I think you should too) do high reps 15-20 reps a set, light weights obviously. you can loose 20lbs in 2 months, you have the will and put it into action, (enthusiastically)you can do this!!!
    I disagree with lifting high reps at lighter weights. In my personal experience, the LOWER reps (i.e. 6-8 reps) at a weight I can lift for said reps is the range and weight where I have the BEST fat loss. Lifting lighter weight at higher reps is only going to serve to increase your muscular endurance, and perhaps act as high intensity cardio (if the recovery periods are short enough). The OP is essentially still a "beginner" to resistance training, so starting out at 10-12 reps to accustom her body to lifting weights is adequate - exercises should be performed with CORRECT technique and proper form, and weights should always be IMO as heavy as you can make them for the reps range you are using.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  7. Advanced Member
    fightclub2012's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    36
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    3732

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    I disagree with lifting high reps at lighter weights. In my personal experience, the LOWER reps (i.e. 6-8 reps) at a weight I can lift for said reps is the range and weight where I have the BEST fat loss. Lifting lighter weight at higher reps is only going to serve to increase your muscular endurance, and perhaps act as high intensity cardio (if the recovery periods are short enough). The OP is essentially still a "beginner" to resistance training, so starting out at 10-12 reps to accustom her body to lifting weights is adequate - exercises should be performed with CORRECT technique and proper form, and weights should always be IMO as heavy as you can make them for the reps range you are using.

    ~Rosie~
    your right Rosie, reps in 10-12 range would be appropiate, my mistake. I was flashbacking(old nasm book). you rock girl
  8. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,156
    Rep Power
    193998

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by fightclub2012 View Post
    your right Rosie, reps in 10-12 range would be appropiate, my mistake. I was flashbacking(old nasm book). you rock girl
    At the end of the day, fat loss is dependent primarily on NUTRITION, so she could train like that if she wanted, so it's not entirely wrong. The reason IMO why so many people recommend that for "fat loss" is because said individuals are also on ridiculously low calories (which is not necessary for successful fat loss) and cannot go any heavier, etc. Not everyone does things the MOST effective way.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  9. Advanced Member
    fightclub2012's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    36
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    3732

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    At the end of the day, fat loss is dependent primarily on NUTRITION, so she could train like that if she wanted, so it's not entirely wrong. The reason IMO why so many people recommend that for "fat loss" is because said individuals are also on ridiculously low calories (which is not necessary for successful fat loss) and cannot go any heavier, etc. Not everyone does things the MOST effective way.

    ~Rosie~
    well said
  •   

      
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in