easiest cardio on knee joints?

  1. Registered User
    illgixxer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    250
    Answers
    0

    easiest cardio on knee joints?


    My knee is usually in some pain and I'm on some joint supplements now and iceing it after lifting legs or playing basketball but I still like to get some cardio in, so whats the easiest excercise on it? I'm not too concerned about the calories burned.

  2. Registered User
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,262
    Answers
    0


    Do you know if it's just movement in general that bothers your knees or the impacting? Using the C2 rower is a great cardio machine and has no pounding on the knees.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  3. Registered User
    illgixxer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    250
    Answers
    0


    Well I think it was originally lots of squatting and leg presses that made it start hurting and I Just never took a long period of time to let it heal up so now I'm not sure, but its agitated after lifting or cardio now.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Blacktail's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    480
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by illgixxer View Post
    Well I think it was originally lots of squatting and leg presses that made it start hurting and I Just never took a long period of time to let it heal up so now I'm not sure, but its agitated after lifting or cardio now.
    Hitting the bag is great cardio for me. Also the bike doesnt bother my knees nearly as much as say running,skipping,treadmill etc.
  5. Registered User
    CrazyChemist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,359
    Answers
    0


    swimming is the lowest impact cardio IMO.
    Back.... for real this time
  6. Registered User
    Renagade860's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    28
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyChemist View Post
    swimming is the lowest impact cardio IMO.
    True!
  7. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,174
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by illgixxer View Post
    My knee is usually in some pain and I'm on some joint supplements now and iceing it after lifting legs or playing basketball but I still like to get some cardio in, so whats the easiest excercise on it? I'm not too concerned about the calories burned.
    Cardio that will not put pressure or stress on your knees includes using the crosstrainer, cycle, elliptical, rower, or swimming. You can use any listed mode at any intensity.

    ~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  8. Registered User
    jumpshot903's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,384
    Answers
    0


    I personally, like cardio on elliptical my knees had some trouble a few years ago or so mostly from basketball and football. And i found using the elliptical and performing things such as HIIT or even steady state cardio, there is virtually no stress on my knew joints. But as mentioned really anything where you dont have to step constantly like running.
  9. Registered User
    BigRedSwoll89's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8
    Answers
    0


    try heating up your legs before cardio like in a sauna. Also work on strengthening your quads and stretching them out a couple times a day
  10. Registered User
    Mjolnir's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    522
    Answers
    0


    I prefer biking if my knees or ankles hurt at all. Swimming is good to but I just cant get the same workout from swimming that I can from using the bike.
  11. Registered User
    illgixxer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    250
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Cardio that will not put pressure or stress on your knees includes using the crosstrainer, cycle, elliptical, rower, or swimming. You can use any listed mode at any intensity.

    ~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    well it must put some stress on the knees because I still got knee pain from it today. I'm sure it doesn't put stress on the knees like tread mill running or basketball. I'm kind of scared now how bad my knees are. When I do the bicycle style ab excercise on my back I hear a noise from my left knee as I move it and it totally grosses me out. I'm on two joint supps and taking ibuprofen after exercising it as well as icing it.

    *and this was supposed to be in the exercise science forum not the female fitness forum.
  12. Registered User
    Mjolnir's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    522
    Answers
    0


    Ouch if your kness hurt after using a stationary bike then you def have something going on. Are you taking any AIs right now like Hyperdrol or Novedex XT or something? Or maybe an anti-cortisol like Lean FX? You may want to take some days off from cardio for your joints to heal up. If you have one of those arm bike machines try that for cardio.
  13. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,174
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by illgixxer View Post
    well it must put some stress on the knees because I still got knee pain from it today. I'm sure it doesn't put stress on the knees like tread mill running or basketball. I'm kind of scared now how bad my knees are. When I do the bicycle style ab excercise on my back I hear a noise from my left knee as I move it and it totally grosses me out. I'm on two joint supps and taking ibuprofen after exercising it as well as icing it.

    *and this was supposed to be in the exercise science forum not the female fitness forum.
    Note that the "bicycle style ab exercise" is NOT cycling.

    re cycling, if you are using too high a gear (i.e. too much resistance) then you could possibly have some knee issues, especially if you are not strong enough to be using that gear. Otherwise, if you're HEARING something, then you should probably get your knee checked out by a physiotherapist. If it is a grinding, then that never goes away, and all you can do is try NOT to aggravate it. if it is a clicking or popping, then you definitely need to do something about it as soon as possible (these can be dealt with).


    ~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  14. Registered User
    illgixxer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    250
    Answers
    0


    its grinding from the almost fully straight(170 degrees about) to when I move it to fully straight(180 degrees).
  15. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,174
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by illgixxer View Post
    its grinding from the almost fully straight(170 degrees about) to when I move it to fully straight(180 degrees).
    Sounds like you have crepitus; this is caused by your patella not tracking correctly in the femoral groove, wearing the bone down. The bone ends end up grinding against each other, and can even cause bits of bone to break off and get caught in the groove. I would recommend seeing a physiotherapist or other such qualified professional about managing and sorting this out.

    ~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  16. Registered User
    illgixxer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    250
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Sounds like you have crepitus; this is caused by your patella not tracking correctly in the femoral groove, wearing the bone down. The bone ends end up grinding against each other, and can even cause bits of bone to break off and get caught in the groove. I would recommend seeing a physiotherapist or other such qualified professional about managing and sorting this out.

    ~Rosie
    Team APPNUT

    thinking of this makes me cringe! I will set up a doctor appointment soon, thanks.
  17. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,174
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by illgixxer View Post
    thinking of this makes me cringe! I will set up a doctor appointment soon, thanks.
    Not a doctor, but a physiotherapist or and injury management specialist (doctors will generally refer you to a physio anyways). Hope you get it all sorted out.

    ~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  18. Registered User
    Antigravity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    180
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    I would recommend seeing a physiotherapist or other such qualified professional about managing and sorting this out.

    ~Rosie
    Team APPNUT

    x2. You should go easy on your joints- especially if your playing other sports.
    Repetitive stress on an injured or overstressed joint can lead to long term damage. in the meantime- have you considered wearing a knee brace?

    Best
  19. Registered User
    illgixxer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    250
    Answers
    0


    I don't play any other sports. I haven't considered a knee brace, I thought those were only useful in sports like basketball soccer. Other than lifting, the only use my knee gets is walking, moderate cardio on the machines listed above, and squatting/leg presses.
  20. jim623
    Guest
    jim623's Avatar


    Jump rope is good cardio. Not bad on the knees at all.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. What are the best and easiest to use self tanners?
    By ax1 in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 08:39 PM
  2. Joints: anything that REPAIRS joints?
    By Rugger in forum Supplements
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 03:36 PM
  3. stress on knee joints when crawling
    By Nightwanderer in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2008, 02:29 PM
  4. What comes easiest for you?
    By asap nutrition in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 07:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in