New to forum

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.5%

New to forum

Hi, I am new to this forum but not new to working out. I have a couple questions that I hope I can get help with.

I am a 27 year old female. I have been working out for over a year now. I do lifting at least once a week, and take a spinning class twice a week. I've even dabbled with Kettlebells. I know I need to be lifting at least one more day a week. I am looking to burn the fat while gaining muscle. I know how important diet is and i'm working on that.

My question is, I take a protein shake after every workout. Should I drink one in the morning as well even on off days? I know my body does not get enough protein that it needs. Also, a buddy has been taking NOXplode, and told me it would be good for when I go spinning. I bought a small tub and read that you can take it on off days as well. Is it ok to take? If its not worth it to me i'll just take it back. Are there any supplements that I should be taking? I take a multivitamin in the morning along with a fish oil pill. I'm not looking to be wonder woman, but just overall healthy and fit.

2. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.41%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Beebs81 View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum but not new to working out. I have a couple questions that I hope I can get help with.

I am a 27 year old female. I have been working out for over a year now. I do lifting at least once a week, and take a spinning class twice a week. I've even dabbled with Kettlebells. I know I need to be lifting at least one more day a week. I am looking to burn the fat while gaining muscle. I know how important diet is and i'm working on that.

My question is, I take a protein shake after every workout. Should I drink one in the morning as well even on off days? I know my body does not get enough protein that it needs. Also, a buddy has been taking NOXplode, and told me it would be good for when I go spinning. I bought a small tub and read that you can take it on off days as well. Is it ok to take? If its not worth it to me i'll just take it back. Are there any supplements that I should be taking? I take a multivitamin in the morning along with a fish oil pill. I'm not looking to be wonder woman, but just overall healthy and fit.
    You should only be having protein shakes to make up for what protein you are NOT getting in your diet (i.e. so have some protein powder with your breakfast if you can't getr enough in during the rest og the day).

As for other supplements, right now all you need is what you are taking:
    * Multivitamin
    * Good Fats
    * Protein Powder

YES, DIET IS THE MOST IMPORTANT COMPONENT OF FAT LOSS (there are a few threads here with diet tips in; check out post #2 at need some advice on a diet for my fiancee). As for exercise, RESISTANCE training is going to do MORE for you for fat loss than cardio; I would recommend you start lifting 2-3 times a week (aiming for 3 times weekly), and focus on working your whole body in exercises that work as many body-parts as possible (i.e. squat press, etc.)
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.38%

Diet is key like she said dont need any supplements the NOXplode i dont think you need but its your call, cardio will help burn fat not as much as weight training, you should be working out atleast 2-3 times a week preferably 3 try this start your workout with a 5minute jog, and then do your weight training whether its resistance training HIIT training or w.e. just make sure you hit all the compound exercises and do 12-15 reps per set and between 3-4 sets make sure you keep increasing the weight gradually at your own comfortable pace, muscle burns fat. then at the end of your workout do a low intensity cardio, like an elliptical machine is what i use 20 mins on that after my workout and im drenched, also wear pants, helps keep your body hot to burn more calories. protein shakes have them even on off days their to help you put in protein that you didnt get throughout the day whole foods are what you need, chicken tuna, eggs etc. and good helthy fats and carbs veggies drink lots of water and you will reach your goal
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

First of all, please list your diet so we can help you with that.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.97%

I don't really think you need NOXplode at this point. You should be shooting for 3 days per week for resistance training. A good rule of thumb for protein intake is 1g. per pound of body weight. If you weigh 120 lbs. shoot for 120g.
    Most protein is best in real food sources such as lean meats, egg whites, fish, and cottage cheese. Protein powders for supplement.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.5%

My diet consists of the following:

breakfast:

dannon lite n fit yogurt
    honey wheat english muffin with smart balance peanut butter
    weight control oatmeal

or at home i have cheerios and milk

lunch is leftovers from the night before or a lean cusine meal

snack is apple, 90 cal granola bar or homemade protein bar

dinner is meat, fish, chicken, deer meat or pork with veggies cottage cheese or brown rice.

If I work out I have a protein shake afterwards. the bad thing is I don't work out till evening (7ish or later) so its almost 9 by the time I am done.

Any feedback would be appreciated. What should I add, subtract? I think i've hit the wall and keep going up or down 1-2 pounds.

Thanks
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

My diet consists of the following:

breakfast:

dannon lite n fit yogurt
    honey wheat english muffin with smart balance peanut butter
    weight control oatmeal
    First off, get in some eggs; offers both protein and dietary fats/cholesterol (the good kind). Ditch the English muffin, add in some fruit ( i.e.- blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, grapefruit) and a small glass of milk.

or at home i have cheerios and milk
    Forget this, and just follow what I typed out above.
    lunch is leftovers from the night before or a lean cusine meal
    Okay, put in a protein shake (preferably whey isolate) and a small serving of almonds between breakfast and lunch.

As for lunch, leftovers are fine considering what your dinner consists of, but toss the lean cuisine. You MUST stick to your diet...You can't totally change your macros around when you are focusing on weight loss like this.
    snack is apple, 90 cal granola bar or homemade protein bar
    Get rid of this and put the same as your first snack.
    dinner is meat, fish, chicken, deer meat or pork with veggies cottage cheese or brown rice.
    This is good...just make sure the portions are correct, and your macros don't fluctuate much between each day.

If I work out I have a protein shake afterwards. the bad thing is I don't work out till evening (7ish or later) so its almost 9 by the time I am done.
    What time do you eat dinner?
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.5%

Is the yogurt and oatmeal still good to eat? Just to mix it up a bit? Dinner is 5:30-6, depending on what time I get home from work. I've never been good with my diet, last year I lost 15 lbs cutting back on the pasta, bread and extra sugars. Now I'm at a standstill. I'd like to lose about 10 more pounds, lean up and gain some muscle. I know I need to get in more weight training, I only get one day a week. Twice a week I do spinning, and one day I train with a buddy doing MMA.

All your help is appreciated. Thank you!
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.32%

Yes, the yogurt and oatmeal is fine. Oatmeal is actually a very good thing to have in the mornings. I like getting the Quaker steel cut oats and just putting some blueberries in for flavoring.

Just stick to a solid diet, get in more calorie-dense foods, high in protein, and moderate fats/carbs.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.97%

I agree english muffin needs to go. Sounds like you need more protein. Add protein with each meal and stay away from Lean Cuisine. those type of meals have too much sodium and preservatives. Stick to the basics and cut the granola and Cheerios oatmeal or Creme of Rice is a better choice.
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.32%

Quote Originally Posted by kkschaef View Post
    I agree english muffin needs to go. Sounds like you need more protein. Add protein with each meal and stay away from Lean Cuisine. those type of meals have too much sodium and preservatives. Stick to the basics and cut the granola and Cheerios oatmeal or Creme of Rice is a better choice.
    Smart lady.

Listen to her, Beebs!
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%

Quote Originally Posted by kkschaef View Post
    Be careful with foods that say "fat free, low fat, lite" etc. Like kkschaef said, these foods aren't always as they seem. It is more time consuming at first, but cooking with natural whole ingredients allows you to know exactly what you are taking in and if you are being jipped when it comes to vitamins and mono/polyunsaturated fats (instead of trans).

I also agree that eating 1g of protein to each lb you weigh is great; however, I ran into this problem with my mom that she started doing this with shakes to make up for the missing grams of protein and she started gaining a lot of weight. She missed the point of cutting out the crappy calories like breads and sugars. So she was eating way more calories and not changing anything else.

You are going to have to make sacrifices, but remember to take small steps at first and bump it up along the way. So this week you may start adding an extra day of lifting and then next week start cutting breads from your diet, etc. You will see results and that will motivate you.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'3"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.25%

Hi - I saw that it was asked what time Beebs81 has dinner - I have often wondered about how long you should stop eating before bed. I have heard that you should try to have your last meal of the day as early as possible so your body doesn't store up the fod in your stomach as fat while you sleep; but I've also heard of people eating small meals every three hours, including later in the evening - what's the best to do for fat loss? I'm currently on a low carb diet and often find myself hungry in the evenings. - Is it okay to eat a high protein snack at like .. 9pm or is eating that late strictly taboo?
  14. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.41%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Zukkini View Post
    Hi - I saw that it was asked what time Beebs81 has dinner - I have often wondered about how long you should stop eating before bed. I have heard that you should try to have your last meal of the day as early as possible so your body doesn't store up the fod in your stomach as fat while you sleep; but I've also heard of people eating small meals every three hours, including later in the evening - what's the best to do for fat loss? I'm currently on a low carb diet and often find myself hungry in the evenings. - Is it okay to eat a high protein snack at like .. 9pm or is eating that late strictly taboo?
    It doesn't matter when you have your last meal of the day. Your body is NOT going to store it in yout stomach as fat while you sleep (it takes ~3 days for anything to be stored as fat, and fat does NOT get stored in the stomach). How late you eat your last meal is up to you; and is also dependent on many factors, including when you go to bed, when you get up, goals, etc. A general recommendation is to to make sure that you've had your last meal ~2 hours before you go to bed, but it's not something that you have to stick to. Remember that 90% of what you hear you have to take with a grain of salt. You need to find what works specifically for YOU.

You DON'T need to be on a low carbohydrate diet for fat loss. So long as your diet is targeted at fat loss, then you should be fine.

It will be ok to eat a snack at 9pm.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%

eating before bed is not a bad idea. Eating every 2-3 hours during the day will keep your insulin levels from jumping around. You obviously can't eat like that at night, but eating about 2 hours before bed and when you wake up will keep your hormone levels pretty neutral.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'3"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.25%

Okay - that's good to know. My husband usually has a deliciously mountainous bowl of icecream at night after supper and it's hard not to eat something. I'm glad to hear no one thinks there is anything wrong with that. I used to be under the impression that I had to be constantly feeling hungry if I was on a diet, I'm much happier on the "six small meals" method of eating.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%

If you are feeling hungry then you aren't eating enough or soon enough. That's why all of these bogus diet plans suck...you are eating in a way that is not natural and you end up gorging yourself and taking it back to where you started. Key is if you eat whole nutritious foods then you can eat more of it and feel fuller with less calories.

If you are looking for something to teach you about your insulin levels and good balance to nutrition I would recommend the Zone Diet. It educates you so that eventually you don't have to think too much about what to eat, you just start to know what's going to work.

Similar Forum Threads

1. HELP new to forum 1st cut
    By edwitt in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2010, 01:07 PM
  2. Where did MR forum go??
    By jcam222 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 09:28 PM
  3. New guy to the forum
    By dannyboy9 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12